View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 72 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2262676869707172737475767782 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1750
Like Tree2Likes
    It's really not that hard to install the server if the instructions are complete (which they aren't).

Follow the instruction here http://nucleardecay.net/pre/Ampache-...vista32bit.pdf but use the notes below:

TIPS and Notes on the install you need to read before following the directions:

The link to Ampache in the directions is old so go directly to Ampache.org and download the latest stable version.

Also don't do what the instruction say and make a c:\xampp folder while installing XAMPP. Just let it install on the C: (installation default) and it will make a C:\XAMPP folder for you. Otherwise it will end up with C:\xampp\axampp and thats a pain.

The two parts of the instructions that are missing are after you change the MYSQL root password you have to browse (windows explorer) to c:\xampp\Phpmyadmin and find the config.x.x file and open it in wordpad. Add your new password between the ' ' under the root section otherwise you'll get a SQL error when you go back to the phpmyadmin management website

The second is, when creating the Ampache config file and you go to save it to the Ampache/config folder (per the normal instructions) you'll need to manually rename it to trade the _ for a . so that their are two file extension on that file. Windows doesn't like two file extensions so it tries to replace it with an underscore for you and when you verify you'll get an error.

Another tip just to make it smoother later is when you copy over the Ampache files to the htdocs folder, you can rename that folder to just "Ampache" instead of Ampache_3.5.4 etc... Now you only have to type http://localhost/ampache instead of http://localhost/ampache_3.5.4 and when you upgrade Ampache to a new version just do the same thing so when new versions come out you don't have to change your bookmarks or the Ampache Mobile software settings.
    This application on the Pre is absolutely amazing. Sorry to bump the thread, but I have to publicly praise the developer(s). I have used the Android version of Ampache and they are bland and a little unintuitive, this app is like the music is sitting on my phone. And its gorgeous to look at. Keep up the good work!
  3.    #1423  
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabuild View Post
    This application on the Pre is absolutely amazing. Sorry to bump the thread, but I have to publicly praise the developer(s). I have used the Android version of Ampache and they are bland and a little unintuitive, this app is like the music is sitting on my phone. And its gorgeous to look at. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks!, its just me (so... developer) .
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    It is an incredible app. I've been passing it by for several months because it looked neat but didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up a dedicated PC and all the Ampache server software but it was WAYYYY worth it. I've been preaching to all my friends about it.

I have only one problem with it that I'm hoping you can point me in a direction to troubleshoot. I have bluetooth headsets made by Lubix that mess up the Ampache so bad that its unusable. The buffering gets to almost exactly 50% on a song then stops so by the time you reach the half way point on the song it just cuts out and stops playing. I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my server or application an uninstalled and reinstalled everything until by accident I walked away from my headset so it unpaired and it started working. When the headphones repaired it still worked until it got to the next song that wasn't pre-buffered and got to 50% and stopped again. I finally figured out the pattern (rinse and repeat troubleshooting I call it).

It's 100% reproducible with that headset (the only bluetooth headphone set I have unfortunately) and I don't see why it's related.

I did test this on a bluetooth car kit and had ZERO issues so its either related just to that headset (which is odd since bluetooth isn't driver based its profile based) or the kind of profile those headphones use compared to the older car kit.
    Cozzman
    When testing using your Lubix do you also have WiFi enabled? And what about the car kit, WiFi enabled?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  6.    #1426  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzman View Post
    It is an incredible app. I've been passing it by for several months because it looked neat but didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up a dedicated PC and all the Ampache server software but it was WAYYYY worth it. I've been preaching to all my friends about it.

I have only one problem with it that I'm hoping you can point me in a direction to troubleshoot. I have bluetooth headsets made by Lubix that mess up the Ampache so bad that its unusable. The buffering gets to almost exactly 50% on a song then stops so by the time you reach the half way point on the song it just cuts out and stops playing. I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my server or application an uninstalled and reinstalled everything until by accident I walked away from my headset so it unpaired and it started working. When the headphones repaired it still worked until it got to the next song that wasn't pre-buffered and got to 50% and stopped again. I finally figured out the pattern (rinse and repeat troubleshooting I call it).

It's 100% reproducible with that headset (the only bluetooth headphone set I have unfortunately) and I don't see why it's related.

I did test this on a bluetooth car kit and had ZERO issues so its either related just to that headset (which is odd since bluetooth isn't driver based its profile based) or the kind of profile those headphones use compared to the older car kit.
    Does your car kit support A2DP?

Unfortunately Ampache Mobile completely relies on an underlying webOS audio service to stream music. That audio service is a black box that I actually have very little control over. The issue you are reporting seems to be a problem with audio service itself

I have a couple of guesses at whats going on:

First Guess

My first guess is its related to the amount of available memory your phone has while attempting to stream, is this a pre or a pre plus? Buffering will stall when webOS decides its used up enough memory, i have zero control over this.

The main solution people have been using for issues like this is to use transcoding/downsampling from the server. This effectively lowers the amount of memory used to buffer a song, at the expense of some quality. Do you currently have transcoding/downsampling enabled on your server?

Second Guess

Another possible issue could be if your network connection is on the fritz, if you were to drop in and out of wifi while buffering a song I could see this happening. I've heard of issues with bluetooth and wifi working at the same time. Perhaps try to reproduce this on 3G if that is the case.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I wonder what effect using the new Compcache kernels will have on Ampache Mobile.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    it works great with the f102 and ampache mobile.
    Any possiblity of adding the tweet feature to broadcast what we are listening to?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Cozzman
    When testing using your Lubix do you also have WiFi enabled? And what about the car kit, WiFi enabled?
    No wifi when using the car kit, nice find. I usually step back and compare the differences to troubleshoot but I missed that simple thing for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Does your car kit support A2DP?

Unfortunately Ampache Mobile completely relies on an underlying webOS audio service to stream music. That audio service is a black box that I actually have very little control over. The issue you are reporting seems to be a problem with audio service itself

I have a couple of guesses at whats going on:

First Guess

My first guess is its related to the amount of available memory your phone has while attempting to stream, is this a pre or a pre plus? Buffering will stall when webOS decides its used up enough memory, i have zero control over this.

The main solution people have been using for issues like this is to use transcoding/downsampling from the server. This effectively lowers the amount of memory used to buffer a song, at the expense of some quality. Do you currently have transcoding/downsampling enabled on your server?

Second Guess

Another possible issue could be if your network connection is on the fritz, if you were to drop in and out of wifi while buffering a song I could see this happening. I've heard of issues with bluetooth and wifi working at the same time. Perhaps try to reproduce this on 3G if that is the case.
    First of all, THANK YOU .,..THANK YOU.. THANK YOU for having an intelligent response. I just went through hell with another developer figuring out a buggy issue and if you had asked me to pull the battery I would have shot myself.

I will do testing per your suggestions tonight without wifi. I'm willing to bet big money your are spot on and blame lack of sleep for not thinking of that myself.
  12.    #1432  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Any possiblity of adding the tweet feature to broadcast what we are listening to?
    I requested that to be added to the server, we'll see if they do it. Link
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 06/17/2010 at 11:06 AM.

WIFI and Bluetooth are a no go together. Thanks BJGeiser and NachoB for pointing it out. Sometimes if I enable wifi and get the music started then turn on and attach my bluetooth headset I can get better then 3/4 of the way through an album before it chokes. The problems I have are poor sprint service in my office and my home (even with the airave its too slow to buffer fast enough to be worthwhile) so I have to come up with crazy alternatives to use wifi. I think i'm going to get a set of non-bluetooth wireless headphones (with a phono adapter) to get the wifi and the wireless freedom of bluetooth at the same time.

Thanks for you help.
    My wife, myself, and my three coworkers all use Ampache Mobile. We all have but one complaint. When you hook the Pre up to your car kit so you have bluetooth play/pause control and then get in and out of your car a lot (so the pre disconnects from bluetooth and pauses itself) there is a funky thing the program does sometimes when it pairs back up and you hit play on the bluetooth control. The software will come up and ask you to "Resume" or "Cancel". It's pretty looking but it blocks the bluetooth controls from working so you have to unlock the phone and manually press Resume. Just pressing the play button on the bluetooth remote doesn't work. Is this by design or did you write something to look friendly and GUI and it's effecting other things?

Anyway we can request removing that and just use the standard play/pause routine other music player use (triangle or two parallel lines that doesn't lockout bluetooth controls waiting for user action)?

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    My wife, myself, and my three coworkers all use Ampache Mobile. We all have but one complaint. When you hook the Pre up to your car kit so you have bluetooth play/pause control and then get in and out of your car a lot (so the pre disconnects from bluetooth and pauses itself) there is a funky thing the program does sometimes when it pairs back up and you hit play on the bluetooth control. The software will come up and ask you to "Resume" or "Cancel". It's pretty looking but it blocks the bluetooth controls from working so you have to unlock the phone and manually press Resume. Just pressing the play button on the bluetooth remote doesn't work. Is this by design or did you write something to look friendly and GUI and it's effecting other things?

Anyway we can request removing that and just use the standard play/pause routine other music player use (triangle or two parallel lines that doesn't lockout bluetooth controls waiting for user action)?

Thanks again.
    Actually I was wondering the same thing after this showed up. If I want to resume play after giving focus to Ampache Mobile I will hit the play button. That screen that pops up is annoying to me.
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.
    Haven't spoken to ya'll in a while. With all the advances in compcache hurdling their way towards us (and possibly 1.2 ghz overclocking soon),how would this impact Ampache Mobile's performance. For instance, the compcache utilizing the same memory space as the song buffer.
    Last edited by ihooten; 06/19/2010 at 09:42 PM.
  17.    #1437  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    Haven't spoken to ya'll in a while. With all the advances in compcache hurdling their way towards us (and possibly 1.2 ghz overclocking soon),how would this impact Ampache Mobile's performance. For instance, the compcache utilizing the same memory space as the song buffer.
    That depends on how the kernel affects webOS. If anything breaks then all audio applications would be broken.

18.    #1438  
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    Actually I was wondering the same thing after this showed up. If I want to resume play after giving focus to Ampache Mobile I will hit the play button. That screen that pops up is annoying to me.
    I'll look into why the controls don't function when that popup is displayed, didn't realize that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by elryon View Post
    Here's a how to for the transcoding

First download the actual transcoding programs:
    lame : Download LAME MP3 Encoder 4.0 Alpha 14 / 3.98.2 - The best mp3 encoder is available for free - Softpedia
    faad : Download FAAD 2 Binaries for Win32 - An AAC/MP4 command line audio decoder for Win32 - Softpedia
    unzip both into the same directory ( I put them in C:\audio\ )

Now go to your ampache-3.5.1/config directory and find the file ampache.cfg.php
    This is the file you want to edit, any text editor will do such as notepad ( I used notepad ++, very nice program for editing code)

first, if you want to downsample your mp3's find:
    Code:
    ; Downsample Remote
    ; If this is set to true and access control is on any users who are not
    ; coming from a defined 'network' ACL will be automatically downsampled
    ; regardless of their preferences. Requires access_control to be enabled
    ; DEFAULT: false
    downsample_remote = "true"
    take out the ; from the last line and change "false" to "true"

Next:
    Code:
    ;######################################################
    ; These are commands used to transcode non-streaming
    ; formats to the target file type for streaming. 
    ; This can be useful in re-encoding file types that don't stream
    ; very well, or if your player doesn't support some file types. 
    ; This is also the string used when 'downsampling' is selected
    ; as some people have complained its not bloody obvious, any programs
    ; referenced in the downsample commands must be installed manually and in
    ; the web server path, and executable by the web server
    ; REQUIRED variables
    ; transcode_TYPE	= true/false ## True to force transcode regardless of prefs
    ; transcode_TYPE_target	= TARGET_FILE_TYPE
    ; transcode_cmd_TYPE	= TRANSCODE_COMMAND
    ; %FILE%	= filename
    ; %OFFSET%	= offset
    ; %SAMPLE%	= sample rate
    ; %EOF%		= end of file in min.sec

; List of filetypes to transcode
    transcode_m4a 		= true
    transcode_m4a_target 	= mp3 
    ;transcode_flac 	= true
    transcode_flac_target	= mp3
    transcode_mp3  	= false
    transcode_mp3_target	= mp3
    ;transcode_ogg 		= false
    transcode_ogg_target	= ogg

; These are the commands that will be run to transcode the file
    transcode_cmd_flac 	= "flac -dc %FILE% | lame -b %SAMPLE% -S - - "
    transcode_cmd_m4a 	= "C:\audio\faad -f 2 -w %FILE% | C:\audio\lame -r -x -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"
    ;

;transcode_cmd_mp3	= "mp3splt -qnf %FILE% %OFFSET% %EOF% -o - | lame --mp3input -q 3 -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"
    transcode_cmd_ogg   	= "oggsplt -qn %FILE% %OFFSET% %EOF% -o - | oggdec -Q -o - - | lame -S -q 3 -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"

; Alternative command works better for some people
    ;transcode_cmd_m4a       =  "alac %FILE% | lame -h -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"
    ;transcode_cmd_ogg   	= "mp3splt -qn %FILE% %OFFSET% %EOF% -o - | oggdec -Q -o - - | lame -S -q 3 -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"
    ;transcode_cmd_flac	= "flac -dc %FILE% | lame -rb %SAMPLE% -S - -"

; This line seems to work better for windows, switch if needed
    transcode_cmd_mp3	= "C:\audio\lame -q 3 -b %SAMPLE% -S %FILE% - -"
    changes are in red
    be sure to take out the ; before the last line

Now we just add another ACL in the ampache interface....
    in the menu area click on the little computer-like icon and select 'add ACL'
    name it ... (whatever you want here)
    level: all
    User: all
    ACL type: Local Network Definition
    Remote Key: (leave empty)
    Start: 10.0.0.0 End: 10.255.255.255
    then click on add ACL

Lastly, we select the bitrate to downsample to:
    go to 'streaming' under 'server config'
    type of playback: stream
    rate limit: 8192 (this was default so I left it alone)
    transcode bitrate: 96 (or whatever you want to downsample to)
    transcoding: always
    then update

you are done and should be able to play m4a files and downsample mp3's!!!

This allows me to transcode and downsample everything outside of my network but I want more control then that. How do I do it on a per user level? I want to create custom users that either downsample or not based on the login not the network so if I have a beefy network connection (from a PC or wifi) outside my network I can still hear the music in it's original glory.
  20.    #1440  
    This allows me to transcode and downsample everything outside of my network but I want more control then that. How do I do it on a per user level? I want to create custom users that either downsample or not based on the login not the network so if I have a beefy network connection (from a PC or wifi) outside my network I can still hear the music in it's original glory.
    Ampache supports different transcoding settings for each user.