View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    160 53.87%
  • No

    137 46.13%
Page 7 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 1750
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    All that is done, with the exception of port forwarding. Mac has ampache support already built in, I've entered the url with the http:// and the external ip into ampache mobile, and again, the localhost/ampache test reveals that I do, in fact, have it up and running on my mac.

    Not sure how to go about setting up port forwarding on the mac. Anyone can help? Much appreciated.
    Port forwarding would be a function of your router. If you can connect to it via WiFi the only thing missing is port forwarding.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    It depends on the modem, but some allow you to turn off the firewall in the modem. I had one a couple years ago thru AT&T it had the option to assign the external IP of the modem to the router.

    If that doesn't work it may allow you to do port forwarding. If so you could forward twice.

    If all that fails figure out what the model of your DSL modem is and post it. If after all that it still doesn't work get a cable modem.

    its at&t, and i remember when i steup my network it had alot of stuff i didnt pay attention too on those pages so the best thing for me to do is turn off my dsl modem firewall cuz i think thats y i cant get to any of my ports remotely, but i should be hme in a while and i will go into full details on this issue
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by ntown901 View Post
    its at&t, and i remember when i steup my network it had alot of stuff i didnt pay attention too on those pages so the best thing for me to do is turn off my dsl modem firewall cuz i think thats y i cant get to any of my ports remotely, but i should be hme in a while and i will go into full details on this issue
    DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL AT THE MODEM UNLESS THERE'S ANOTHER FIREWALL RIGHT BEHIND IT.

    AT&T is my DSL provider, too. I needed to login in to the modem and configure the firewall to allow HTTP and HTTPS (HTTP was in its catalog of applications, but I had to create HTTPS custom), and THEN assign them to the internal machine I have hosting Ampache.

    To get to it from my Pre, I have to use the external IP address of my router.

    My two soft spots in this configuration are that my server is DHCP, so it's possible that the port forwarding could become invalidated, and that my external IP address could change, which is what dyn-dns would be useful for. At this point, though, both addresses are stable enough for my purposes.

    The additional wrinkle you may have in your network is if you have a router that's separate from your modem. If that second router is performing NAT (and it's likely that it is if you're using 192.168 addresses-- my AT&T router provides 172.16 addresses internally), then you will want to turn off routing/NAT in the router separately so it just acts like a switch, and let the modem handle DHCP internally. This is what I had to do in my configuration, so your mileage will definitely vary.

    Once BJ got that bug worked out with the album art, the thing kicked off like a champ. Even just in the house, this is a great solution to get music where I want it-- I can hook my Pre up to any set of speakers lying around the house and put on a great big oul' shuffle. It's superfantastic.

    Now, I wonder if there's a way to play Ampache through a Chumby.
  4.    #124  
    There has been some talk of how hard this is to get configured. I'd like to share some thoughts.

    What those of you with difficulties are experiencing is something that most people encounter when they try to use complicated open source software. That is poor documentation and a general lack of support. There is a reason Microsoft charges 100s of dollars for windows and linux is free. A large portion of what you are paying for is support. That may come in the form of a nice easy to use installer or extensive help files.

    The open source community usually puts all their passion into the code and documentation and support is an after thought. A place like Microsoft or Google employs 100s of English majors just to write help and guides. At the place where I work, when I finish a piece of code/project I give the technical writer a demo and he/she writes up how to use it (this usually takes a significant amount of time on their part). The difficulty you are having is a by product of the fact that no one is getting paid to support you.

    I'm also sure that there will be similar applications on WebOS once the official app store really gets rolling. They will likely be easier to setup and will cost you a little bit of cash. There is one such app on the iPhone called Simplify Media (The application you install on your pc is free, the app on the iPhone is $6).

    When other such apps come out you can make the decision: do I want to spend my time on something free (harder) or I am willing to pay a couple bucks for someone else to do it for me. I am just trying to make free an option, as it stands now free is not really an option for the iPhone.

    If you are willing to put in the effort and do your homework what you will have in the end is something great and potentially game changing. Oh and you will have a sweet web site with all your music on it that you can access anywhere you go.

    Not trying to start a flame war. Just where I am coming from as the developer.
  5. #125  
    Too hard for me, tried it and couldn't figure it out. Sorry, need some concise instructions here in order to even attempt this.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I'm guessing no, i think you are screwed friend. You could inquire if your school allows hosting a personal webserver. You can probably still use it on WiFi though.
    I'm thinkin I can use a reverse proxy to get around it at the apache level.
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

    Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
  7. #127  
    Definitely-- I think the disclaimer is in order. Put it in the app description and on first launch and it will cut down on the amount of chatter in here about how it "should be".

    I would even argue that the windows version of XAMPP is easier to install than the Linux version for the average computer user, given that doing anything under Linux requires a significant level of knowledge of Linux, etc., whereas the Windows version doesn't require so much. HOWEVER, installing XAMPP under Windows is noticeably more difficult than installing other pieces of Windows software.

    The problem here (aside from that which the disclaimer would avoid) is that the instructions for installation for Ampache are so poorly written. Being a technical writer and a Product Manager, maybe I should take that on instead of continually pointing it out.

    UNRELATED: I just went out on a couple of dog walks and got to listen to music from my Ampache the whole way, except for once or twice when I got a vague error message like "The Media Player received an error" which the app doesn't self-recover from-- I have to close out of the error and then track forward or back to get the playing to resume, which wouldn't bode well for a remote DJ situation.
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    Definitely-- I think the disclaimer is in order. Put it in the app description and on first launch and it will cut down on the amount of chatter in here about how it "should be".

    I would even argue that the windows version of XAMPP is easier to install than the Linux version for the average computer user, given that doing anything under Linux requires a significant level of knowledge of Linux, etc., whereas the Windows version doesn't require so much. HOWEVER, installing XAMPP under Windows is noticeably more difficult than installing other pieces of Windows software.

    The problem here (aside from that which the disclaimer would avoid) is that the instructions for installation for Ampache are so poorly written. Being a technical writer and a Product Manager, maybe I should take that on instead of continually pointing it out.

    UNRELATED: I just went out on a couple of dog walks and got to listen to music from my Ampache the whole way, except for once or twice when I got a vague error message like "The Media Player received an error" which the app doesn't self-recover from-- I have to close out of the error and then track forward or back to get the playing to resume, which wouldn't bode well for a remote DJ situation.
    I do have a WARNING in the App catalog. I should maybe make the wording a bit more scary. I am starting some documentation on the google code wiki, but its a work in progress. Could use someone who is a better writer.

    Ya I don't have any error recovery when a stream dies. Continually hitting play and pause might bring it back.
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by adactuslatem View Post
    I'm thinkin I can use a reverse proxy to get around it at the apache level.
    I am not going to be much help there. Let us know if you figure it out. I did notice some proxy settings in the ampache.cfg.php file fyi.
  10. #130  
    So I'm having a problem with the application (NOT SETTING UP AMPACHE). I've been using AmpachPre fine for the last week and I want to give this one a shot because the interface looks so much better. So I log in either internally or externally and it says I have about 1000 artists and around 500 albums but when I click either 'Artist' or 'Album' it just presents me with an endless spinning wheel. Does anyone know what's happening?

    For the record AmpachPre works perfectly fine as does using the online UI from the Pre.
  11.    #131  
    If you have gotten your server running ampache has theme support. A buddy of mine modified Blueflower. He made it all black, blackflower. Its my default theme enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by oneEIGHTkevin View Post
    So I'm having a problem with the application (NOT SETTING UP AMPACHE). I've been using AmpachPre fine for the last week and I want to give this one a shot because the interface looks so much better. So I log in either internally or externally and it says I have about 1000 artists and around 500 albums but when I click either 'Artist' or 'Album' it just presents me with an endless spinning wheel. Does anyone know what's happening?

    For the record AmpachPre works perfectly fine as does using the online UI from the Pre.
    Real quick what version are you running? Whats your cover art situation? Sounds like another XML processing bug.
  13. gbritton's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I'll look into that. I think I need to hook the app into an event server that tells me when the headphones have been connected and disconnected.
    I figured this was probably the case. People will probably start asking for the headset button and bluetooth media controls as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I think any time you are using the cellular network as much as streaming applications do you will effect your battery life. That includes trying to stream a song and not successfully doing so. That said I'll try to minimize retrys and such.
    I think it's a little more than that actually, I notice battery drain even when the app is paused.

    I did an experiment:
    (1) left pre idle, no cards open for 15 min, phone was cool to the touch.
    (2) started Ampache Mobile, start playing, pause.
    (3) wait for buffering to complete, wait another 15 min.
    (4) Pre is noticably warm, "Ev" is white indicating network activity.

    After this, I monitored traffic on the server hosting Ampache and the Pre is connecting to it about twice a second, then immediately disconnecting with no data traversing the TCP socket. Something is clearly weird here.
  14. tredftw's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    Again, I've got MAMP installed on my mac, and Ampache and MySQL servers are running. When I run the web test, my browser says I'm running.

    HOW DO I FIGURE OUT WHAT URL TO ENTER ON MY PRE, TO ACCESS THE SERVER, VIA AMPACHMOBILE?

    Thank you.
    Okay, i'm on a mac and i pretty much did what you did the first time i started by installing MAMP. First of all mac doesn't come with ampache installed, it comes with apache installed. you still have to install ampache. Also, in order to do what you're trying to do, you should install Xxamp:apache friends - xampp

    Once you have started xxamp and turned on mysql apache and ftp, then you should be able to go to Http://localhost and see the Apache page. That's the first step, next you need to install apache. I had no idea what to do so I looked at the Install Apache page Windows xp. I thought it would be very different and I was sort of just guessing, but you can use it verbatem to install it on a mac, by replacing words like "progam files folder" with "applications folder" and such.

    install:windows [Ampache :: Wiki]

    be sure to start with the "Windows XP(SP2) Home Edition Installation" section

    This is only the tip of the iceberg as you now have to setup ampache. by now you should be able to go into your browser and type in http://localhost/ampache and get to the ampache setup page. Now you should be able to setup ampache

    I had SO much trouble getting this to work on my mac cause there are so little instructions to do so. We need to help us fellow mac users out
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbritton View Post
    After this, I monitored traffic on the server hosting Ampache and the Pre is connecting to it about twice a second, then immediately disconnecting with no data traversing the TCP socket. Something is clearly weird here.
    I do a ping to the Ampache Server once a minute. If I don't it will close the connection. I'll have to see why it was connecting more often than that, I don't actually think any of my code is running that often. Could be something with the WebOS audio object i am using .

    EDIT: Can you try the same experiment from AmpachPre. I think it uses the included streaming audio player from palm. Lets see if they have the same issue.
  16. #136  
    good site to help you figure out how to configure your router to port forward.

    PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall


    (I have been using Amapache for years. I have an audio cable running from the stereo in the family room down to the server in the basement. I can play music through the stereo (via local play) or steam audio to any computer in my house (via streaming) and now to my pre too. )
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by oneEIGHTkevin View Post
    So I'm having a problem with the application (NOT SETTING UP AMPACHE). I've been using AmpachPre fine for the last week and I want to give this one a shot because the interface looks so much better. So I log in either internally or externally and it says I have about 1000 artists and around 500 albums but when I click either 'Artist' or 'Album' it just presents me with an endless spinning wheel. Does anyone know what's happening?

    For the record AmpachPre works perfectly fine as does using the online UI from the Pre.
    I believe you are having the same problem I was having with the cover art. The lastest version of Ampache Mobile should have at least let you get past the spinning wheel. What version do you have?

    I am looking through the source and trying to figure out why some people have success displaying cover art and some don't. All of my mp3's have cover art embedded in the mp3 file itself. The cover art shows up just fine on my Ampache website. I am running the latest version of Ampache, 3.5.

    Any ideas?

    thesnowdog
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    I believe you are having the same problem I was having with the cover art. The lastest version of Ampache Mobile should have at least let you get past the spinning wheel. What version do you have?

    I am looking through the source and trying to figure out why some people have success displaying cover art and some don't. All of my mp3's have cover art embedded in the mp3 file itself. The cover art shows up just fine on my Ampache website. I am running the latest version of Ampache, 3.5.

    Any ideas?

    thesnowdog
    I only attempt to display the coverart that ampache tells me is there. My thought would be that it should work if its showing up in ampache.
  19. gbritton's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I do a ping to the Ampache Server once a minute. If I don't it will close the connection. I'll have to see why it was connecting more often than that, I don't actually think any of my code is running that often. Could be something with the WebOS audio object i am using .
    Do you need to keep the connection open while idle (or paused)? Couldn't you let it close and then bring it back up only when necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    EDIT: Can you try the same experiment from AmpachPre. I think it uses the included streaming audio player from palm. Lets see if they have the same issue.
    Ok, I paused after it started playing the stream in the builtin player. I saw the same behavior. I threw away the AmpachPre card and still saw the behavior. It seems to occur when the screen blanks and stops again when i hit a key bringing the screen back up. Perhaps it's actually a WebOS bug with streaming media connections and suspend/resume If that is the case, my suggestion above might not actually help.
  20.    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbritton View Post
    Do you need to keep the connection open while idle (or paused)? Couldn't you let it close and then bring it back up only when necessary.
    I don't actually hold the connection open. I should have worded that differently. The ping keeps the session alive. So once a minute (could probably be long) I make a new TCP connection to the server to say "yo i'm still here don't kill my session" then close the TCP connection (its 5 packets). I dont think its to much of a battery hog. I'll look more into the session stuff with ampache, i think i might be able to do like 10 minute pings.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbritton View Post
    Ok, I paused after it started playing the stream in the builtin player. I saw the same behavior. I threw away the AmpachPre card and still saw the behavior. It seems to occur when the screen blanks and stops again when i hit a key bringing the screen back up. Perhaps it's actually a WebOS bug with streaming media connections and suspend/resume If that is the case, my suggestion above might not actually help.
    Total bummer and what i suspected. Now that i think about it i've had the same battery drain issue. Maybe we need to go file an issue with palm. Probably under their included streaming app. This is likely why pandora users have been having poor battery life as well.
Page 7 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions