View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 60 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1050555657585960616263646570 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1750
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Definitely something I'm gonna be looking at. Great to have everything on my palm :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    Ok, with some expirimentation I've determined that FAAC definitly streams through Ampache, but I can't get it to play. What FAAC is producing is an MPEG-4 Low Complexity AAC file, so it's not AAC+. FAAC supports Object-type (LC, default; Main; LTP) but when I try to run any of these options in th commandline line like:

mp3splt -qnf "C:\Palm Ops\emergency backup\music\Boards of Canada - Beware the Friendly Stranger.mp3" 00.00 00.37 -o - | lame --mp3input -S --decode - - | faac -b 48 --mpeg-vers 4 --object-type LTP -o temp.aac -

...nothing is produced, in fact it seems FAAC doesn't aknowledge the command and breaks. Also, if what I'm producing is an AAC-LC file, does the transcode_target_mp3 still going to be m4a, and is the MIME type in song.class.php still "audio/aacp"?
    Sorry that I've been away for so long, I'm on vacation fishing and the wifi was busted.

One thing I've learned, though, is that 1x can handle 48kbps pretty flawlessly, which should be good motivation to keep on pushing with the AAC+ thing! I actually think that streaming on 1x is smoother than streaming on EVDO which echos globex's problems.

ihooten: if you want to use faac (which I don't recommend as it doesn't support most of the AAC extensions that we're interested in), I would try getting rid of the mpeg stuff and just use -r for raw AAC output. The mpeg 4 container hurts us more than it helps us.

When I get home, I'll look into trying to compile the encoder for Windows but I'm not very optimistic.

I've gotta agree with bjg, this stuff is all way easier on Linux. If you started with a TurnKey Linux LAMP Stack VM, you could be up and running pretty quickly.
    Right now we're having a student programmer looking into compiling a new aacplusenc binary, but if you know anything about compiling in Windows, then that would help too. For sure FAAC is not ideal, but it is the only Windows AAC encoder that does "stdin/stodut", as all other ones that I have found do one but not both, or are broken. I even found a Modified enc_aacPlus that was created to do stdout for the Winamp AAC encoder, but the modified one just chunks out broken containers. I will work to see if I can be successfull with the raw data as advised, and while I do know that a Linux VM setup would work, my goal is to create a trascoding to AAC process that will be accessible by the Windows community for those who are new to this, or uncomfortable with Linux, and need a solution that meets their situation.
    mbetter, this is the current status of my efforts summarized in ths post. I tried sending out raw data with the line "| faac -b %SAMPLE% -r -o - -" and it didn't load at all. With my other line that sends the data to stdout with headers it does get picked up and loaded by AMpache Mobile, but it won't play. I don't think it it's a problem with the stream, but either the target type or MIME used for playback. When I created a test AAC in command line, sideloaded it to the phone ,and played it in the music player, it worked fine so I know that the phone can play the outproduct.
  5.    #1185  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    I actually think that streaming on 1x is smoother than streaming on EVDO which echos globex's problems.
    This baffles me. If you guys are feeling industrious and want to help debug this. Install the SDK, put your phone in dev mode, connect it to your comp, then run this command line, in a DOS console.
    Code:
    novacom -t open tty://
    This will give you a linux prompt on the phone. Then run this command line and play music. If at some point it stalls out check the output on the screen.
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    This is the bug I think it is. Bug Report

Edit: All I can think of is that 1x takes longer to download so you don't have as much time sitting idle with an open socket.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Just wanted to say that I tried video streaming for the first time last night and was really impressed. I wasn't expecting that functionality so soon.

I still need to experiment with it some more. The only file I could get to play had a .m4v extension; the MPEG4 videos didn't stream.

Excellent work, bjgeiser!
  7.    #1187  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    Just wanted to say that I tried video streaming for the first time last night and was really impressed. I wasn't expecting that functionality so soon.

I still need to experiment with it some more. The only file I could get to play had a .m4v extension; the MPEG4 videos didn't stream.

Excellent work, bjgeiser!
    Thanks!... ya, the only thing I've found to work with both webOS and Ampache reliably is m4v.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 04/28/2010 at 11:15 AM.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    in Ampache.cfg.php:

; Video Pattern
    ; This defines which video file types Ampache will attempt to catalog
    ; You can specify any file extension you want in here seperating them with
    ; a | but ampache may not be able to parse them
    ; DEAFULT: avi|mpg|flv|m4v
    catalog_video_pattern = "avi|mpg|flv|m4v"
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Been a while since I've used this app and I have to say I'm very impressed with the latest round of improvements! Thank you!!!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    It seems by buffer ahead crashing is indeed still alive and well. I have found it depends on what I am playing. As you said it may very well be the high bitrate files are too big and WebOS's audio service is having problems keeping them straight.

I am now going to attempt to enable transcoding. What would you suggest I transcode to for the best possible quality without big file sizes?

Edit: Looked at aac+ but see the encoder is broken in windows. I will be in line when ihooten gets a windows binary compiled.
    Last edited by circuitjc; 05/01/2010 at 07:24 AM.
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.
    I NEED HELP... seriously i cant get this running on my Win XP laptop can someone give a good link to explain the process. The wiki thing doesnt help so dont say have you looked at that. Im impressed with the app but would be more impressed to have it on my phone.
    stay in touch with the hip hop community @http://www.twitter.com/moon_man_e
  12.    #1192  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco Wit The Pre View Post
    I NEED HELP... seriously i cant get this running on my Win XP laptop can someone give a good link to explain the process. The wiki thing doesnt help so dont say have you looked at that. Im impressed with the app but would be more impressed to have it on my phone.
    Windows Ampache Server Links

Ok. This is my problem. My browser does nothing when I click the link 'localhost' it says i cant display the webpage. Do I need a certain browser to get this started??
    stay in touch with the hip hop community @http://www.twitter.com/moon_man_e
  14.    #1194  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco Wit The Pre View Post
    Ok. This is my problem. My browser does nothing when I click the link 'localhost' it says i cant display the webpage. Do I need a certain browser to get this started??
    It would probably be helpful to get a rundown of what you have done so far. Also check out the guide on the link I posted earlier.

By the way, I had .mp4 movie files in a folder but I renamed the extension to .m4v and they stream perfectly.
    I have a coworker of mine creating a .exe setup for ampache for me. Hopefully he follows through he said this weekend he would have one for me. I'll see what I can do "if" he makes one for me to pop it up on the web
  17.    #1197  
    Has anyone tried this WampServer?

Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    Right now we're having a student programmer looking into compiling a new aacplusenc binary, but if you know anything about compiling in Windows, then that would help too. For sure FAAC is not ideal, but it is the only Windows AAC encoder that does "stdin/stodut", as all other ones that I have found do one but not both, or are broken. I even found a Modified enc_aacPlus that was created to do stdout for the Winamp AAC encoder, but the modified one just chunks out broken containers. I will work to see if I can be successfull with the raw data as advised, and while I do know that a Linux VM setup would work, my goal is to create a trascoding to AAC process that will be accessible by the Windows community for those who are new to this, or uncomfortable with Linux, and need a solution that meets their situation.
    Is this the one you tried: aacPlusCLI ?
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Agree, I asked the Ampache guys about a demo server and they pretty much shot it down. Cost to run it would be to high, in time and money.
    I heard Apple is shutting down Lala.com
    (from wikipedia: . The service allows members to legally create online shareable "playlists" (formerly known as "radio stations") of their own uploaded music which can play full length songs ...)

Maybe more people will want an Ampache Server?

How much would it cost to rent a LAMP server with decent bandwidth?

Also, I wonder if we could find a music artist/band to host one with their music? You could have the connection to the artist/band music server built in as a default in the download.

Users would be able to try it out easily and the music artist may find new fans...
    Has anyone heard about Amahi Home Server? It's an integrated home server that automatically installs apache, php and mysql and it has a web dashboard sort of like cpanel only much simpler. I was playing around with it last night on a spare pc and saw that one of their one-click webapps (similar to Fantastico) is Ampache. Just out of curiosity I hit the install button, and boom! 10 seconds later I had the latest version of Ampache running without any additional configuration needed. Of course, you'll still have to edit the config file to turn on transcoding, but at least the majority of the work is done. This might be a way to help those who have trouble getting their servers working. Amahi does require Fedora, but they offer a step-by-step installation guide with pictures to get through the process. It only took me half an hour from start to finish, and it worked right out of the box with no complications.
    Last edited by Fabninja; 05/02/2010 at 12:39 PM.