View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 6 of 88 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    There are a lot of reasons for this. If you're confident in your ability to configure everything in XAMPP and Ampache, then check your Cable/DSL modem firewall or the firewall on your PC. You also have to make sure nothing is using those ports already (which is in the Wiki instructions for installing Ampache).

yeah i followed everything step by step and disable my pc firewall and went in my router firewall and did the port forwarding thing but still no go....im like totally stumped....imma just uninstall everything and reinstall in a couple dayz
    and try again....do i need to check my modem firewall too...if i have a router
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    This is just a suggestion and you all can ignore it if you like. First let me say i've noticed that a lot of people having problems are saying that they "did all the steps" and yet it still isn't working. however I thought I had "done all the steps" without doing things like port forwarding, setting up dyndns, setting up my acls or putting in the right ip address. After you do all of the instructions on the Ampachpre page, it doesn't talk about any of the steps to set ampache up remotely in the introduction. You pretty much have to put a huge chunk of this puzzle together by yourself. And with this many variables there's so much room for failure that I think it's impossible for some of you to say "i've followed all the steps but it's not working" and then expect those who have it working to know exactly what's wrong.

That being said here's my suggestion, as BREIFLY as possible, maybe list the major steps you've taken and then say what is and isn't working, for instance:

"Installed Ampache/set up ACL's/set up dnydns/disabled firewalls/
    Wifi working, evdo not working"

This way it can be easier to diagnose the problem. In this instance I might ask if they've port forwarded or not. Again, this is just a suggestion to make it easier for those helping to give advice that isn't just a shot in the dark. If the creator of this thread/app or anyone else strongly feels that this isn't that great of an idea, I can delete this comment or the creator of the thread can.
    Quote Originally Posted by tredftw View Post
    This is just a suggestion and you all can ignore it if you like. First let me say i've noticed that a lot of people having problems are saying that they "did all the steps" and yet it still isn't working. however I thought I had "done all the steps" without doing things like port forwarding, setting up dyndns, setting up my acls or putting in the right ip address. After you do all of the instructions on the Ampachpre page, it doesn't talk about any of the steps to set ampache up remotely in the introduction. You pretty much have to put a huge chunk of this puzzle together by yourself. And with this many variables there's so much room for failure that I think it's impossible for some of you to say "i've followed all the steps but it's not working" and then expect those who have it working to know exactly what's wrong.

That being said here's my suggestion, as BREIFLY as possible, maybe list the major steps you've taken and then say what is and isn't working, for instance:

"Installed Ampache/set up ACL's/set up dnydns/disabled firewalls/
    Wifi working, evdo not working"

This way it can be easier to diagnose the problem. In this instance I might ask if they've port forwarded or not. Again, this is just a suggestion to make it easier for those helping to give advice that isn't just a shot in the dark. If the creator of this thread/app or anyone else strongly feels that this isn't that great of an idea, I can delete this comment or the creator of the thread can.
    Ok i totally feel you, I can access it on wifi, but no go remotely...earlier i was told that you really didnt have to make a dnydns, but i made one anyway and it was still no go, ive installed ampache/set acl's/set-up port forwarding/disabled software firewall/wifi working, evdo not working, but i think imma just start over delete everything and do a fresh install. but question do u have to do any thing to ur dsl modem if u have a router.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntown901 View Post
    but question do u have to do any thing to ur dsl modem if u have a router.
    Only thing you you NEED to do is (if using a router) is to set-up port forwarding. Then the router will direct the port (default :80) to what-ever machine is running Ampache/Apache.

For troubleshooting, forget ampache for the moment. Just pull up the web-browser and visit your home IP (DynDNS.) Ensure that you can access your LAMP server FIRST and if that works then move on-to configuring ampache-mobile. You should see something like "It Works!" if Apache is properly configured.

Also, as mentioned in previous topics. Most ISPs will BLOCK incoming port 80 to disallow and discourage people hosting LAMP at home. Just configure the router to forward incoming 888 (or what-ever) to port 80. Another alternative is to manually edit the ampache confg and change the listening port to 888 (or what-ever.)
    Last edited by czarphanguye; 08/30/2009 at 07:36 AM.
    Great app!

I was having the same "folder art" webos bug problem until the most recent update. I am wondering what the issue is with this bug. Is the app expecting to find a "folder.jpg" file in the album folder? Does the app support art embedded into the mp3's like the ampache website does?

Just curious. Keep up the great work.

thesnowdog
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Ok i totally feel you, I can access it on wifi, but no go remotely...earlier i was told that you really didnt have to make a dnydns, but i made one anyway and it was still no go, ive installed ampache/set acl's/set-up port forwarding/disabled software firewall/wifi working, evdo not working, but i think imma just start over delete everything and do a fresh install. but question do u have to do any thing to ur dsl modem if u have a router.
    I'm pretty sure you don't, as I have it working on evdo and wifi and I didn't touch my modem or router, however I do have a cable modem but that shouldn't make a difference.

Edit: how are your acl's set up and did you put in your public ip address into your dyndns account? (as opposed to 192.168.x.x)
    Last edited by tredftw; 08/30/2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
    Does anyone know if you can setup ampache through a proxy? I have a damn packet shaper to get around..
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    I'm pretty sure you don't, as I have it working on evdo and wifi and I didn't touch my modem or router, however I do have a cable modem but that shouldn't make a difference.

Edit: how are your acl's set up and did you put in your public ip address into your dyndns account? (as opposed to 192.168.x.x)
    yeap i did that, but imma start over and tweak with my ports some more i think thats my issue my ports are not opening up to the program remotely...cuz its not ampache ....i have tversity and its doing the same thing..i will figure it out
  9.    #109  
    yeap i did that, but imma start over and tweak with my ports some more i think thats my issue my ports are not opening up to the program remotely...cuz its not ampache ....i have tversity and its doing the same thing..i will figure it out
    I think i might know whats going on for you. Some DSL modems run their own firewalls, so you might have 2. Do you have a DSL modem plus a WiFi router? If so what External IP does your WiFi router report back?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Excellent app, worked perfectly with my first attempt to set it up (though Ampache took a while setting up my large catalog). Seems to work great even with 10s of thousands of songs in the catalog (AmpachPre doesn't even seem to complete its initial connection to my Ampache instance).

I have noticed one bug. With all the other media apps (Music Player, Pandora, etc) disconnecting the headphones will pause playback. With Ampache Mobile it seems to continue playing (though silenced) until end of song and then next song will play through the speaker.

One other thing I've seen is occasionally while playing a song, the big spinner will be overlaid on the display and the buffer indicator doesn't seem to be progressing (though music is playing and the app is responsive). Is this maximum buffer fill or something similar? I have noticed something similar with the Pandora app and have blamed that behavior in Pandora for a lot of battery drain (I think it's in some sort of busy wait). I think Pandora also runs into similar issues when the network connection is spotty (something to be aware of when implementing network intensive apps I guess). It'd be excellent if this app managed to avoid the battery drains Pandora ends up with.
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by adactuslatem View Post
    Does anyone know if you can setup ampache through a proxy? I have a damn packet shaper to get around..
    I'm guessing no, i think you are screwed friend. You could inquire if your school allows hosting a personal webserver. You can probably still use it on WiFi though.

Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I think i might know whats going on for you. Some DSL modems run their own firewalls, so you might have 2. Do you have a DSL modem plus a WiFi router? If so what External IP does your WiFi router report back?
    oh yes i do have a dsl modem plus a wifi router and it gives me 72.something im not @ home but dude i hope so
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbritton View Post
    Excellent app, worked perfectly with my first attempt to set it up (though Ampache took a while setting up my large catalog). Seems to work great even with 10s of thousands of songs in the catalog (AmpachPre doesn't even seem to complete its initial connection to my Ampache instance).
    Nice

I have noticed one bug. With all the other media apps (Music Player, Pandora, etc) disconnecting the headphones will pause playback. With Ampache Mobile it seems to continue playing (though silenced) until end of song and then next song will play through the speaker.
    I'll look into that. I think I need to hook the app into an event server that tells me when the headphones have been connected and disconnected.

One other thing I've seen is occasionally while playing a song, the big spinner will be overlaid on the display and the buffer indicator doesn't seem to be progressing (though music is playing and the app is responsive). Is this maximum buffer fill or something similar?
    I'll have to keep an eye for this one. I haven't seen it on my end yet. It rather hard to fix something if I can't reproduce it.

I have noticed something similar with the Pandora app and have blamed that behavior in Pandora for a lot of battery drain (I think it's in some sort of busy wait). I think Pandora also runs into similar issues when the network connection is spotty (something to be aware of when implementing network intensive apps I guess). It'd be excellent if this app managed to avoid the battery drains Pandora ends up with.
    I think any time you are using the cellular network as much as streaming applications do you will effect your battery life. That includes trying to stream a song and not successfully doing so. That said I'll try to minimize retrys and such.
  14.    #114  
    oh yes i do have a dsl modem plus a wifi router and it gives me 72.something im not @ home but dude i hope so
    Log into the WiFI router. Usually in the Status screen it will tell you your external IP or WAN ip. I am expecting it to be something like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x if its either of those you are going to have to get into the dsl modem and try to reconfigure that.
    Again, I've got MAMP installed on my mac, and Ampache and MySQL servers are running. When I run the web test, my browser says I'm running.

HOW DO I FIGURE OUT WHAT URL TO ENTER ON MY PRE, TO ACCESS THE SERVER, VIA AMPACHMOBILE?

Thank you.
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    Again, I've got MAMP installed on my mac, and Ampache and MySQL servers are running. When I run the web test, my browser says I'm running.

HOW DO I FIGURE OUT WHAT URL TO ENTER ON MY PRE, TO ACCESS THE SERVER, VIA AMPACHMOBILE?

Thank you.
    Have you downloaded and installed ampache as well?

First step would be to test your server on your mac http://localhost/ampache this will only work from your mac.

Once you are satisfied that is working. Put your pre on WiFi (if its on the same wifi as your mac) then enter the IP address of your mac in ampache mobile http://192.168.x.x/ampache (this will only work on wifi)

If you've got that far you then need to setup port forwarding in your router. You are likely going to forward port 80 to the IP address of your mac (could be different if you configured it so). Than figure out your external IP address. www.whatismyip.com. In ampache mobile change your url to http://<external_ip>/ampache

Lastly but not required. Many times Cable Modems and DSL change their IP address every so often. You can setup Dynamic DNS for this.

I am gonna have to do a write up i think.
    It's frustrating to be so close, yet so far, from making this work.
    Log into the WiFI router. Usually in the Status screen it will tell you your external IP or WAN ip. I am expecting it to be something like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x if its either of those you are going to have to get into the dsl modem and try to reconfigure that.
    ok i will check this out as soon as i get home but i think its 192.168.x.x, but what would i have to do in my modem
    Have you downloaded and installed ampache as well?

First step would be to test your server on your mac http://localhost/ampache this will only work from your mac.

Once you are satisfied that is working. Put your pre on WiFi (if its on the same wifi as your mac) then enter th IP address of your mac in ampache mobile http://192.168.x.x/ampache (this will only work on wifi)

If you've got that far you then need to setup port forwarding in your router. You are likely going to forward port 80 to the IP address of your mac (could be different if you configured it so). Than figure out your external IP address. www.whatismyip.com. In ampache mobile change your url to http://<external_ip>/ampache

Lastly but not required. Many times Cable Modems and DSL change their IP address every so often. You can setup Dynamic DNS for this.

I am gonna have to do a write up i think.
    All that is done, with the exception of port forwarding. Mac has ampache support already built in, I've entered the url with the http:// and the external ip into ampache mobile, and again, the localhost/ampache test reveals that I do, in fact, have it up and running on my mac.

Not sure how to go about setting up port forwarding on the mac. Anyone can help? Much appreciated.
  20.    #120  
    ok i will check this out as soon as i get home but i think its 192.168.x.x, but what would i have to do in my modem

It depends on the modem, but some allow you to turn off the firewall in the modem. I had one a couple years ago thru AT&T it had the option to assign the external IP of the modem to the router.

If that doesn't work it may allow you to do port forwarding. If so you could forward twice.

If all that fails figure out what the model of your DSL modem is and post it. If after all that it still doesn't work get a cable modem.