View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    160 53.87%
  • No

    137 46.13%
Page 57 of 88 FirstFirst ... 747525354555657585960616267 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1750
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1121  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    If you're going to install on a Windows environment, consider running a Linux VM. These guys: Ampache Virtual Appliance and ISO are a bunch of high school kids that modified a Turnkey Linux appliance to be a turn-key Ampache appliance.
    I'd even go as far as to say if you have an old computer around, throw Linux on it.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  2. #1122  
    can u stream itunes through ampache
  3. #1123  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey320 View Post
    can u stream itunes through ampache
    No. Ampache is basically a substitute for itunes, except it's web based so you can access it anywhere.

    EDIT: You can add all of your non-drm'd itunes songs to Ampache and use it in addition to itunes. I'm not sure what the status is on streaming non-drm .m4a files to Ampache Mobile; I'm sure it's doable although it could be a giant pain in the ***.
  4.    #1124  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    No. Ampache is basically a substitute for itunes, except it's web based so you can access it anywhere.

    EDIT: You can add all of your non-drm'd itunes songs to Ampache and use it in addition to itunes. I'm not sure what the status is on streaming non-drm .m4a files to Ampache Mobile; I'm sure it's doable although it could be a giant pain in the ***.
    The easiest way to deal with m4a is probably to transcode them to mp3 . Also Ampache Mobile will support whatever webOS supports for streaming.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  5. #1125  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    The easiest way to deal with m4a is probably to transcode them to mp3 . Also Ampache Mobile will support whatever webOS supports for streaming.
    They might work out of the box on WebOS for all I know. m4a, as far as I know, is just a renamed MPEG-4 file containing AAC audio. I'm not sure which profile(s) are supported and I'm not sure about the location of the Atoms in the file (which is one of the things that determines streamability). I remember reading a threat about it on the Ampache forums but I can't remember the outcome.
  6. #1126  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    They might work out of the box on WebOS for all I know. m4a, as far as I know, is just a renamed MPEG-4 file containing AAC audio. I'm not sure which profile(s) are supported and I'm not sure about the location of the Atoms in the file (which is one of the things that determines streamability). I remember reading a threat about it on the Ampache forums but I can't remember the outcome.
    M4A works fine. Convert to MP3 using:

    Code:
    transcode_cmd_m4a 	= "C:\Xampp\xampp\faad -f 2 -w %FILE% | C:\Xampp\xampp\lame -r -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"
    I stream iTunes songs no problemo.
  7. #1127  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    M4A works fine. Convert to MP3 using:

    Code:
    transcode_cmd_m4a 	= "C:\Xampp\xampp\faad -f 2 -w %FILE% | C:\Xampp\xampp\lame -r -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"
    I stream iTunes songs no problemo.
    Do they work without transcoding?
  8. #1128  
    Thanks all for the explainations.

    So I guess I now have to choose a server to put this on.

    You say I could probably put it on an older computeror in a VM box?

    If I have the server on an old machine will it be able to access my media files all of which are located on the new computer. And then send or make available to the Pre.

    Thanks!

    Rob
  9. #1129  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    Do they work without transcoding?

    I would assume so. At least on the Pre it should.

    I use the flash player for the browser part of the equation and .m4a files did not work in that.
  10.    #1130  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    If I have the server on an old machine will it be able to access my media files all of which are located on the new computer. And then send or make available to the Pre.
    Thats how my server works.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  11.    #1131  
    Just found this, pretty nice site.

    myAppBox Palm Pre Apps and Pixi Apps : Ampache Mobile
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  12. circuitjc's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #1132  
    Great app btw. I use it all the time.

    I have found using buffer ahead causes the webOS audio process to stall about every 3 songs. I used 2 buffers. Your app recovers with no problem and I love the gapless play but recovering every 3 songs is a pain. It also hogs bandwidth since it redownloads the songs over again.

    Is there anything I can do to make it not crash like that other than disabling buffer ahead or is it a result of the weak webOS audio process?
  13.    #1133  
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    Great app btw. I use it all the time.

    I have found using buffer ahead causes the webOS audio process to stall about every 3 songs. I used 2 buffers. Your app recovers with no problem and I love the gapless play but recovering every 3 songs is a pain. It also hogs bandwidth since it redownloads the songs over again.

    Is there anything I can do to make it not crash like that other than disabling buffer ahead or is it a result of the weak webOS audio process?
    First off do you have transcoding on?
  14.    #1134  
    I just found a nasty little bug that results in an infinite loop on the now playing screen. My guess is that its the cause of a lot of these audio stalls, and other generally slow performance.

    I'm testing a fix, should be available soon.

    I'm shocked the app works at all.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  15. #1135  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I just found a nasty little bug that results in an infinite loop on the now playing screen. My guess is that its the cause of a lot of these audio stalls, and other generally slow performance.

    I'm testing a fix, should be available soon.

    I'm shocked the app works at all.
    That sounds like what I've been hitting.
  16.    #1136  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    That sounds like what I've been hitting.
    Ya, things should work much better when its fixed.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  17. circuitjc's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #1137  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    First off do you have transcoding on?
    No transcoding. Everything I have (all 160 GBs worth) is mp3's.
  18.    #1138  
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    No transcoding. Everything I have (all 160 GBs worth) is mp3's.
    I should clarify, the transcoding functionality of Ampache can also be used to downsample existing mp3s. You should probably look into doing that, as it will free up more of the resources in the phone to run the app.

    Also the bug I found today could also be causing some issues.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  19. circuitjc's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #1139  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I should clarify, the transcoding functionality of Ampache can also be used to downsample existing mp3s. You should probably look into doing that, as it will free up more of the resources in the phone to run the app.

    Also the bug I found today could also be causing some issues.
    I tried to get transcoding to work but decided instead to just convert anything that wasn't mp3 to mp3. Most of my mp3s are pretty high bitrate. I do notice that sometimes the song doesn't completely download until it has played some.

    I will wait and see what the next version brings and if it still happens then I'll look again at downsampling or just not use the buffer ahead feature.
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.
  20.    #1140  
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    I tried to get transcoding to work but decided instead to just convert anything that wasn't mp3 to mp3. Most of my mp3s are pretty high bitrate. I do notice that sometimes the song doesn't completely download until it has played some.

    I will wait and see what the next version brings and if it still happens then I'll look again at downsampling or just not use the buffer ahead feature.
    There is an issue when downloading stalls with webOS. If it stalls to long the server will close the connection and webOS fails to realize this, when it attempts to finish its download the audio service crashes. The timeout workaround in the account manager is for detecting this potential error and circumventing it, so you may also want to confirm your timeout setting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions