View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 56 of 88 FirstFirst ... 646515253545556575859606166 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1750
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1101  
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but those are all on the keyboard, and that would still require me to slide it out and look for the right key. The volume buttons I can feel on my phone without having to open it or even look at it.
    I designed the keys to be easily identified by touch for that very reason. I kinda think once you get the hang of it, its probably as safe as you can do it all with one thumb and no looking. Plus is offers more functionality.

Key to the right of the space bar is next. Key to the left is previous.

Using volume keys would also be useful when I'm walking and don't want to take the phone out of my pocket.
    I'll look into the volume more, not sure you can press those keys at all without affecting the volume, which would suck.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  2.    #1102  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    If I had to choose one I'd go with bookmarks. I stream a 6 hour radio show to my phone pretty often_ but even broken up into 60 minute chunks it would be sweet to be able to mark my location.
    Part of the issue I have with a feature like bookmarks is that the server we are connecting to is a dynamic system, there is no guarantee that we think is there is still there. For instance you can do a complete rescan of the music catalog on the server and it will almost certainly break all bookmarks.

I would love for the Application to store its navigation and playback state, but I'm not sure how possible that is.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  3.    #1103  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    Hey, mbetter and bjgeiser, I'm still having problems with tanscoding to AAC+ and I have tried using the AACPlusEnc tool that ya'll suggested, but I don't think I've set it up right for Win XP. I tried using the binary for windows provided with a test file at 48 kbps bitrate and what AACplusEnc is saying is "No Valid SBR Configuration found". so I think I didn't upack the .TAR files correctly or something. Any advice?
    Are you sure you have your user set to 48kbps I got this when I set the server default to 48 but forgot to set my user to 48.

I tried to transcode the files but I guess wma files are not able to transcode am I correct?
  5.    #1105  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I tried to transcode the files but I guess wma files are not able to transcode am I correct?
    I think it should be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Are you sure you have your user set to 48kbps I got this when I set the server default to 48 but forgot to set my user to 48.
    It also looks like input files need to always be stereo. I'm not sure if this is an actual issue for ihooten; I don't have a single mono mp3 in my catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    You should be able to, you're probably going to have to use ffmpeg to decode the wma and pipe it to LAME. I'm not sure if there's a wmv equivalent to mp3splt, so you might have some slight problems with inexact song lengths.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    It also looks like input files need to always be stereo. I'm not sure if this is an actual issue for ihooten; I don't have a single mono mp3 in my catalog.
    I'm not sure how I can tell if its stereo, I mean, they all sound like they are in stereo to me. Like the one's that I have ripped are showing 320-CBR for the bitrate in the song details of my catalog. Some other ones show the "bitrate number"-VBR. I'm thinking this has something to do with it as the makers of aacPlusEnc state that the program will only encode 32000, 44100, and 48000 hz .WAV files. When I use it in command prompt for testing it tells me "no valid SBR configured" which everywhere I've seen seems to relate to a problem with the input file. I even found a 48000 hz .WAV file to encode and it still gave this error, so I'm not sure what to do. I wish NeroAACenc supported stdout, because it was encoding files to AAC like crazy with HE-AAC+ compression profiles too. I don't know, I don't have a lot of songs (only about 300), so maybe I should just use NeroAAC to convert my entire catalog to AAC instead of trying to transcode it on the frontend through Ampache.
    I'm not sure how I can tell if its stereo, I mean, they all sound like they are in stereo to me. Like the one's that I have ripped are showing 320-CBR for the bitrate in the song details of my catalog. Some other ones show the "bitrate number"-VBR. I'm thinking this has something to do with it as the makers of aacPlusEnc state that the program will only encode 32000, 44100, and 48000 hz .WAV files. When I use it in command prompt for testing it tells me "no valid SBR configured" which everywhere I've seen seems to relate to a problem with the input file. I even found a 48000 hz .WAV file to encode and it still gave this error, so I'm not sure what to do. I wish NeroAACenc supported stdout, because it was encoding files to AAC like crazy with HE-AAC+ compression profiles too. I don't know, I don't have a lot of songs (only about 300), so maybe I should just use NeroAAC to convert my entire catalog to AAC instead of trying to transcode it on the frontend through Ampache.
    This might have more to do with the testing .WAVs you are using; try using LAME to decode an MP3 (or whatever to decode an OGG or FLAC) and pipe the output directly to the aac encoder.
    My main issue with Nero, if I remember correctly, is that it puts the output in an .mp4 container which isn't ideal for streaming.
    Nero doesn't support "stdout" so you're right, you would have to specify a container, but I don't know how that works with streaming, I thought it would just have to use standout. From your previous work with Nero it looks like you were trying to create a temporary container that the clent like Ampache Mobile would then discard after playing. But then, if this were possible, wouldn't it be impacted by the buffering mechanism of Ampache Mobile as you would start to have multiple containers given the same name? Anyways, I'm not really sure what I'm talkingh about anymore... I just know that I need more encoder experience points (XP) to level up from n00b usr to novice.
    Nero doesn't support "stdout" so you're right, you would have to specify a container, but I don't know how that works with streaming, I thought it would just have to use standout. From your previous work with Nero it looks like you were trying to create a temporary container that the clent like Ampache Mobile would then discard after playing. But then, if this were possible, wouldn't it be impacted by the buffering mechanism of Ampache Mobile as you would start to have multiple containers given the same name? Anyways, I'm not really sure what I'm talkingh about anymore... I just know that I need more encoder experience points (XP) to level up from n00b usr to novice.
    I don't mean "container" like a file, but more like the file format that is wrapped around the raw encoded data - like where the id3 tags go with all the meta information. One reason, I'd wager, that Nero doesn't support stdout is because its output, a mp4 file, needs special consideration when streaming. You need information at the end of the file to be able to decode the beginning of it. So basically your client needs to be able to ask the server for the end of the file first and then skip back to the beginning.

I think this is theoretically possible with Ampache and (maybe) Ampache Mobile / WebOS but it's a lot more complicated than shoving a raw stream of data down the tubes in order. What I was trying to do with Nero was to get Nero to make a .mp4 file and then use whatever I was using (ffmpeg?) to take the raw stream out of that.

Using a temp file wouldn't mess with Ampache Mobile's buffering as Ampache loads one file, then it loads the next file. There shouldn't be any overlap. Overlap is possible, however, if you have multiple users so the temp filename should be unique.
    Also, with the method I was trying with nero, you'd probably have to transcode the entire file before streaming started. That would add quite a bit of latency to the process.
    What happens if I don't use mp3slt in my transcoding line for MP3 to AAC. Just using the command line locally it can just use lame to change the MP3 to WAV and then aacPlusEnc for WAV to AAC... why use anything else?
    What happens if I don't use mp3slt in my transcoding line for MP3 to AAC. Just using the command line locally it can just use lame to change the MP3 to WAV and then aacPlusEnc for WAV to AAC... why use anything else?
    I think the idea behind using mp3splt is that it trims the file to exactly the duration that Ampache has in the database, getting rid of any partial seconds at the end. Now Ampache can calculate duration * bitrate = new filesize for the HTTP headers.

Remember that Ampache starts sending the transcoded stream as soon as it starts showing up, so it can't look at the filesize in advance because the file isn't complete then.
  16.    #1116  
    How much control over the volume buttons do you have? Would it possible to have a press+hold Volume Up go to the next song, and press+hold Volume down to go to the previous song? It would make life much easier (and safer) when I'm trying to jump songs while driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I'll look into the volume more, not sure you can press those keys at all without affecting the volume, which would suck.
    Ok.. looks like I can only get an event telling me if the volume has been pressed. Also if you hold volume it accelerates the volume change.

https://developer.palm.com/index.php...1800&Itemid=20

I'm about to try this out but was wondering what is the difference in Ampache Mobile and Ampache Pre?

Are they the same, are they made by the same developer.

Are they in competition to each other?

Is one a Homebrew and the other a Palm App Catalog version.

Basically, which one should I be trying out?

Also, is the a 64 bit of Ampache for Windows Vista or Windows 7 (I'm considering upgrading to Windows 7 soon, when I get some extra money).

Thanks!

Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 04/20/2010 at 04:13 AM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Try them both.
  19.    #1119  
    I'm about to try this out but was wondering what is the difference in Ampache Mobile and Ampache Pre?
    There are a lot of differences, to many to list here

Are they the same, are they made by the same developer.
    Nope, I develop Ampache Mobile and Fain develops AmpachPre

Are they in competition to each other?
    Somewhat, both apps for the Pre are far ahead of the apps for Android and the iPhone. I kinda feel like having 2 apps has driven competition and innovation.

Is one a Homebrew and the other a Palm App Catalog version.
    Ampache Mobile is in the Palm Web Distribution Channel, its like the App Catalog but it won't show up in the App Catalog. The nice thing is you can install the app just by clicking this link

AmpachPre is currently homebrew, it can be installed using standard homebrew tools.

I'd try them both, they are both free. Some people like one more than the other, it comes down to personal preference. Just be happy you get to choose.

Also, is the a 64 bit of Ampache for Windows Vista or Windows 7 (I'm considering upgrading to Windows 7 soon, when I get some extra money).
    The package most people use on windows is called XAMP, its currently 32-bit only, you should be able to install it on 64 bit windows.

Otherwise you could find the individual components in 64bit builds and install them.

If you're going to install on a Windows environment, consider running a Linux VM. These guys: Ampache Virtual Appliance and ISO are a bunch of high school kids that modified a Turnkey Linux appliance to be a turn-key Ampache appliance.