View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 53 of 88 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1750
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Can this work if our ip blocks port 80? I can get to my ampache server using ssl and port 443 in a web browser on any machine, but not from this app. Is it possible for this to work for me?
  2.    #1042  
    Quote Originally Posted by lensutton View Post
    Can this work if our ip blocks port 80? I can get to my ampache server using ssl and port 443 in a web browser on any machine, but not from this app. Is it possible for this to work for me?
    It's not possible to stream music over an encrypted port. You could try using an alternative port such as 8080.

There is some discussion of it here.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 04/13/2010 at 10:29 AM.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  3.    #1043  
    App name has been changed and links are updated. Everything seems be working now.

The application can now be installed by clicking this link from your phone... Install
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Downloaded and reviewed
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Awesome update! Going through re-setting it up now.
  6.    #1046  
    For anyone who had Ampache working and it died with 1.4.x try enabling the %20 GSTREAMER Workaround in the Account Editor in the new release.

I am still curious as to what would be an optimal transcoding bitrate for Mp3 downsampling. I have rate limit set at 8192 (not sure what it does) and transcode bitrate set for 96 kbps because I think that I saw bjgeiser say that this is the lowest it will go before your quality starts to hurt. Is their any benefit to going lower, say 64 kbps or 32 kbps, such as quicker buffering and greater responsiveness on 3G/EVDO-Rev A? Or is 96kbps optimal?
  8.    #1048  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    I am still curious as to what would be an optimal transcoding bitrate for Mp3 downsampling. I have rate limit set at 8192 (not sure what it does) and transcode bitrate set for 96 kbps because I think that I saw bjgeiser say that this is the lowest it will go before your quality starts to hurt. Is their any benefit to going lower, say 64 kbps or 32 kbps, such as quicker buffering and greater responsiveness on 3G/EVDO-Rev A? Or is 96kbps optimal?
    Anything lower will give you better buffering performance. It's a personal preference as to how low you want to go. For me I'm willing to go down to 96kpbs for the increased speed buffering, I also don't have very good speakers. Others have other preferences. It's up to you, try some other bitrates and see if the sound quality is acceptable to you.

Another option is to use a better codec. Slacker radio uses HE-AACv2 at 40kpbs

Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Anything lower will give you better buffering performance. It's a personal preference as to how low you want to go. For me I'm willing to go down to 96kpbs for the increased speed buffering, I also don't have very good speakers. Others have other preferences. It's up to you, try some other bitrates and see if the sound quality is acceptable to you.

The reason I also bring this up is because even with a 2600 mah battery, the higher the bitrate>the more my CPU has to work> the less my battery lasts and the greater it heats up, although initial testing with current 0.9.0 Release with 96 kbps bitrate MP3 downsampling was showing a temp of 40-43 degrees celsius with a 10% battery loss per hour. I theorize that lowering the bitrate will improve both temp and battery life by causing the CPU to not have to work so hard.
    Last edited by ihooten; 04/13/2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarification
  10.    #1050  
    The reason I also bring this up is because even with a 2600 mah battery, the higher the bitrate>the more my CPU has to work> the less my battery lasts and the greater it heats up, although initial testing with current 0.9.0 Release with 96 kbps bitrate MP3 downsampling was showing a temp of 40-43 degrees celsius with a 10% battery loss per hour. I theorize that lowering the bitrate will improve both temp and battery life by causing the CPU to not have to work so hard.
    Playback of MP3 shouldn't really stress your CPU more at 96kpbs than 128kpbs. The added heat may be coming from the increased cellular activity required to download larger files.

Playback of MP3 shouldn't really stress your CPU more at 96kpbs than 128kpbs. The added heat may be coming from the increased cellular activity required to download larger files.
    Yeah, that's what I meant, not the playback but the acquisition of the file is what is causing the heating issue and can prevent stalls altogether. To be clear, bjgeiser, since this latest build I haven't had any heating issues at all really because of the way that you setup the buffering and it's very responsive, but I like to try and see how far I can push my handset to see what it's capable of. Thanks for your app!
  12.    #1052  
    Yeah, that's what I meant, not the playback but the acquisition of the file is what is causing the heating issue and can prevent stalls altogether. To be clear, bjgeiser, since this latest build I haven't had any heating issues at all really because of the way that you setup the buffering and it's very responsive, but I like to try and see how far I can push my handset to see what it's capable of. Thanks for your app!
    Ya... You should see how responsive it is with a modern desktop CPU running in Safari.

The future is bright (for the app), hopefully if there are more webOS devices they will have faster CPUs.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 04/13/2010 at 02:26 PM.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    hey bjgeiser (or anyone else), is it necessary to remove the 0.8.5 version that was installed via Preware before installing 0.9.0 from the palm link?
    Last edited by sakasune; 04/13/2010 at 03:33 PM.
  14.    #1054  
    Quote Originally Posted by sakasune View Post
    hey bjgeiser (or anyone else), is it necessary to remove the 0.8.5 version that was installed via Preware before installing 0.9.0 from the palm link?
    Not necessary, but you will have to transfer your settings to 0.9.0. The 2 versions can coexist with no issues.

Rate limit is for when users are downloading the files directly, that has no bearing on Ampache Mobile on the Pre.

Yes, there is always benefit to transcoding lower. Technically 32kbps will give you faster song loading and greater responsiveness on the network. There is no "optimal" setting. It depends on how much you care about music quality. I use headphones plugged into my Pre that cost over $1k. Anything below 192 starts to sound pretty terrible in them.

Put it at 32 and see how it sounds. I would imagine even on bad speakers it will sound like total ***.
  16.    #1056  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    Rate limit is for when users are downloading the files directly, that has no bearing on Ampache Mobile on the Pre.

Yes, there is always benefit to transcoding lower. Technically 32kbps will give you faster song loading and greater responsiveness on the network. There is no "optimal" setting. It depends on how much you care about music quality. I use headphones plugged into my Pre that cost over $1k. Anything below 192 starts to sound pretty terrible in them.

Put it at 32 and see how it sounds. I would imagine even on bad speakers it will sound like total ***.
    Damn... $1k headphones... I mostly listen on my computer speakers at work or with my car stereo. Both of which have no noticeable benefit from anything above 96.

Damn... $1k headphones... I mostly listen on my computer speakers at work or with my car stereo. Both of which have no noticeable benefit from anything above 96.
    You'd be surprised. Have you done a back to back on 320 vs 96? Assuming you have an mp3 of that high quality to start with.

Listen on a song that has good production, dynamic range, and hits both low and high parts of the spectrum. Even a rap song that has sub bass (below 75hz or so) you'll notice the diff on decent car speakers.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Not necessary, but you will have to transfer your settings to 0.9.0. The 2 versions can coexist with no issues.

Ok thanks, I'll try to install it tonight or tomorrow - I'm looking forward to the buffer ahead feature!

I was trying to cobble together the code to transcode to HE-AACv2 per your recommendation, but I'm not sure if its transcoding other than by observing how long it takes to load some of these big, 320 kbps mp3's I have. That and I'm kind of like Atrus's dad from Myst in that I don't have a full understanding of what I'm really coding, I just kind of cobbled something together based on a mishmash of elryon's post from here about transcoding and the part from the forum link you gave that shows how to add Nero. This is what I have, tell me if I'm daft:

; List of filetypes to transcode
    transcode_m4a = true
    transcode_m4a_target = mp3
    ;transcode_flac = true
    transcode_flac_target = mp3
    transcode_mp3 = true
    transcode_mp3_target = mp4
    ;transcode_ogg = false
    transcode_ogg_target = mp3

; These are the commands that will be run to transcode the file
    transcode_cmd_flac = "flac -dc %FILE% | lame -b %SAMPLE% -S - - "
    transcode_cmd_m4a = "C:\audiosys\faad -f 2 -w %FILE% | C:\audiosys\lame -r -x -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"
    transcode_cmd_mp3 = "C:\audiosys\mp3splt\mp3splt -qnf %FILE% %OFFSET% %EOF% -o - | C:\audiosys|\lame --mp3input -S --decode - - | C:\audiosys\neroAacEnc -ignorelength -cbr %SAMPLE%000 -if - -of temp.mp4 && ffmpeg -i temp.mp4 -acodec copy -"
    transcode_cmd_ogg = "oggsplt -qn %FILE% %OFFSET% %EOF% -o - | oggdec -Q -o - - | lame -S -q 3 -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"

; Alternative command works better for some people
    ;transcode_cmd_m4a = "alac %FILE% | lame -h -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"
    ;transcode_cmd_ogg = "mp3splt -qn %FILE% %OFFSET% %EOF% -o - | oggdec -Q -o - - | lame -S -q 3 -b %SAMPLE% -S - -"
    ;transcode_cmd_flac = "flac -dc %FILE% | lame -rb %SAMPLE% -S - -"

; This line seems to work better for windows, switch if needed
    transcode_cmd_mp3 = "C:\audiosys\lame -q 3 -b %SAMPLE% -S %FILE% - -"
    That's my nero line there, I don't think it really works. Use the other one I posted for now:

transcode_cmd_mp3 = "mp3splt -qnf %FILE% %OFFSET% %EOF% -o - | lame --mp3input -S --decode - - | aacplusenc - - %SAMPLE%"

You need to go out and get the aacplusenc program for your platform before you start (along with mp3splt and lame).

I'm still working on this but it works OK in the pre for now.