View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    160 53.87%
  • No

    137 46.13%
Page 50 of 88 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1750
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #981  
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingHippy View Post
    Is it possible for the app to detect when wifi is being used and increase the number of buffers accordingly? I agree that 2 or 3 buffers are probably optimal when using 3G.

    Also, have you thought about using AppScope to release the alpha/beta versions? (Sorry if that was already asked, I haven't been following this thread in a while.)
    The amount of buffers used has a much bigger dependency on the amount of compression (transcoding) you are using. WebOS only allows a finite amount of memory to be used for buffering, it stalls out once the app uses that memory up. So if you use more compression you can buffer more songs.

    I haven't nailed down the memory limit yet. Its more than 10MB less than 30.

    What's AppScope?
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  2. #982  
    File size is probably more important than bandwidth when deciding how many buffers your system will support. Six 12 minute songs @ 320 kbps would take up some ~175 megs of system memory while ten three minute songs @ 48 kbps would only take up somewhere around 10 megs.

    Maybe a maximum buffer button where the app will keep buffering up to some reasonable memory limit? I don't know if you'd be able to get memory utilization on the fly but maybe you could wing it based on bitrate and duration?
  3. #983  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    File size is probably more important than bandwidth when deciding how many buffers your system will support. Six 12 minute songs @ 320 kbps would take up some ~175 megs of system memory while ten three minute songs @ 48 kbps would only take up somewhere around 10 megs.

    Maybe a maximum buffer button where the app will keep buffering up to some reasonable memory limit? I don't know if you'd be able to get memory utilization on the fly but maybe you could wing it based on bitrate and duration?
    This man is on the right track.

    I don't suppose there is anything in the API telling you how much buffer is left.

    My suggestion would just be to keep buffering until it's full. Then you don't have to bother with figuring out bit rate and duration.

    There is no way I'm compressing my music down to 48 or even 96. I'm an audio snob and don't like the quality hit.
    Last edited by bhack; 04/09/2010 at 07:54 AM.
  4.    #984  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    This man is on the right track.

    I don't suppose there is anything in the API telling you how much buffer is left.
    Nope nothing like that. Best we could do would be to collect some information for every phone, and it will probably change with subsequent versions of webos.

    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    My suggestion would just be to keep buffering until it's full. Then you don't have to bother with figuring out bit rate and duration.
    That kills the performance of other apps.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  5.    #985  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    There is no way I'm compression my music down to 48 or even 96. I'm an audio snob and don't like the quality hit.
    48KB HE-AACv2 Sounds pretty damn good.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  6. #986  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Ya, I'm sticking with 96K mp3 for now. It just works, I had issues streaming outside of the App with aac.
    I patched Ampache to use different transcoding strings based on the bitrate in the user's preferences.
  7.    #987  
    The thought has crossed my mind to support for + and - on the keyboard to add or remove buffers on the fly.

    Hows that sound?
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  8.    #988  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    I patched Ampache to use different transcoding strings based on the bitrate in the user's preferences.
    So can you stream from the WebUI with anything? Flash player, foobar?
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  9. #989  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    So can you stream from the WebUI with anything? Flash player, foobar?
    When I login to the WebUI remotely, I use a user that's set up with 128 kbps transcoding which is mp3. When I login locally, I use one that has transcoding disabled. I also could just change it in my preferences on the fly.

    If you want to use a Flash player with AAC+, I believe there's another one that supports it. I didn't look too deep but there was a howto on the Ampache forums.

    I like the +/- to add/subtract buffers.

    Also, maybe a way to cancel buffering? I had the WebOS Audio service crash on me today when I went in the subway and it was unable to buffer.
  10.    #990  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    When I login to the WebUI remotely, I use a user that's set up with 128 kbps transcoding which is mp3. When I login locally, I use one that has transcoding disabled. I also could just change it in my preferences on the fly.

    If you want to use a Flash player with AAC+, I believe there's another one that supports it. I didn't look too deep but there was a howto on the Ampache forums.
    Ya... I'll have to dig into that when I have more time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    I like the +/- to add/subtract buffers.
    I think like that better than the chew up all the device memory option, I think it would cause more problems than it solves.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    Also, maybe a way to cancel buffering? I had the WebOS Audio service crash on me today when I went in the subway and it was unable to buffer.
    I added an option to the settings to block 2G/unavailable buffering today, just putting the finishing tweaks on it.

    Basically it stops attempting to buffer ahead while on 2G or no network, when 3G or wifi returns it goes to town and tries to fill everything back up.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 04/08/2010 at 08:31 PM.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  11.    #991  
    Provided there aren't any issues this will likely be the last alpha before a full release of buffer ahead.

    • Banner Notifications of new songs when you are looking at another app. Will not wake up screen if its asleep.
    • Revised error banner messages for various buffer issues
    • Added option to disable 2G buffer ahead
    • Made buffering not continue if there is no network
    • Updated account scene to reflect how many saved items you have
    • Go straight to songs view from artists if there is only one album
    • Fixed some issues with repeat all mode not wrapping back around
    • Some performance and stability tweaks to now playing
    • Some fixes to random all songs, still not 100% working
    • Go back to the spot in the song where an audio crash occured


    Download
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 04/09/2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  12. #992  
    I'm not sure what caused this, but I thought I'd post it here. Today while riding the bus to class I noticed the buffer got halfway through the next song and then stopped downloading. Out of curiosity I kept listening to see if the buffer would pick up again. Unfortunately, it never did. I was able to skip to the next song then back and the buffer started again and life was good. I was in full 3G the whole time. I'm betting it was just a glitch with the internet, but since it's still in alpha I thought I'd let ya know. It's been working great other than that one glitch!
  13. #993  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabninja View Post
    I'm not sure what caused this, but I thought I'd post it here. Today while riding the bus to class I noticed the buffer got halfway through the next song and then stopped downloading. Out of curiosity I kept listening to see if the buffer would pick up again. Unfortunately, it never did. I was able to skip to the next song then back and the buffer started again and life was good. I was in full 3G the whole time. I'm betting it was just a glitch with the internet, but since it's still in alpha I thought I'd let ya know. It's been working great other than that one glitch!
    What bitrate and how long was the next song?
  14. globex's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #994  
    I keep getting a "mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-root on / failed: Device or resource busy." error when trying to install Alpha 4.
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
  15. #995  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    What bitrate and how long was the next song?
    128-bit transcode, and standard length (3-4 minutes)
  16.    #996  
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    I keep getting a "mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-root on / failed: Device or resource busy." error when trying to install Alpha 4.
    I got nothin'. This error coming from webOS quick install?
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  17.    #997  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabninja View Post
    128-bit transcode, and standard length (3-4 minutes)
    Well what you are describing is what happens when the Audio Service uses up all its memory.

    How many buffers did you have going? Have you set your Apache Timeout value?
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  18. globex's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #998  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I got nothin'. This error coming from webOS quick install?
    Yes. Even after restarting the phone...
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
  19.    #999  
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    Yes. Even after restarting the phone...
    Hmm trying renaming the download to.... com.ampachemobile.alpha_0.9.0_all.ipk

    Just a shot in the dark.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

    Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  20. globex's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #1000  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Hmm trying renaming the download to.... com.ampachemobile.alpha_0.9.0_all.ipk

    Just a shot in the dark.
    I tried to restart the phone again, and it worked afterwards. Strange.
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions