View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    160 53.87%
  • No

    137 46.13%
Page 5 of 88 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 1750
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by adactuslatem View Post
    Well I did that, I can still only access the localhost, but cannot connect via host name. However I got this when I used my external IP on ampache mobile:



    EDIT: I also get that when using my hostname.
    Looks like you are not actually getting to your Ampache server. I made the app spit out whatever html comes back on the event of a failure (for instance if you put Google in the URL you would see the HTML that makes up Google). I did this to make debugging failures a bit easier. From the image you posted it appears to be some type of packet shaper is responding your your url.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Looks like you are not actually getting to your Ampache server. I made the app spit out whatever html comes back on the event of a failure (for instance if you put Google in the URL you would see the HTML that makes up Google). I did this to make debugging failures a bit easier. From the image you posted it appears to be some type of packet shaper is responding your your url.
    Oh noes.......The university I goto uses a damn packetshaper....I may not even be able to do this on their network...
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

    Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
  3. #83  
    I just heard something in my skull pop..
  4. #84  
    Just for those keeping score at home: I have Ampache up and working-- it actually now works with Ampachpre, and I've been able to stream from the WebOS browser as well.

    Unfortunately, Ampache Mobile still is exhibiting that same condition where it will not show me track titles, but instead goes into circle mode when an album title is tapped.

    It does the same thing if I "Shuffle" an artists. Design-wise, Ampache Mobile is FAR more promising than Ampachpre (which can play you one track at a time), but until it works, I just get to say nice things about how it'd be.

    As far as the application itself, YES, it's not designed to be used by the average person, which is why it's a Homebrew app. In fact, if it were so simple to set up a music streaming server for the common person, RIAA (or someone like them) would jump on them so hard that it'd be pointless.

    I'm satisfied with what it required for me to accomplish this-- a few hours, and enough persistence to stick with it. Even though the Ampache install on the Wiki is poorly written, everything did work out as promised, leaving me to remember to alter my router's firewall, and then the very teensy tiny bit at the end, which turned out to be simple ol' Windows firewall.

    Except for the part where is isn't working at all (yes, using the new version) it's great!

    Question for BJ: Is AM expecting tracknames in a particular format? There's SOME possibility I altered the default for some reason (I never leave things alone)-- could that be messing with Ampache Mobile?
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    Question for BJ: Is AM expecting tracknames in a particular format? There's SOME possibility I altered the default for some reason (I never leave things alone)-- could that be messing with Ampache Mobile?
    I'm not exactly sure why you are having issues. Don't think its anything you did. I am using a defined API from ampache, i dont think an end user has the ability to break that. I think there is the potential to get lock ups if what you click on has 1000s of songs (This is actually a WebOS issue). A good way to check would be to do similar navigation via the Ampache web ui, do u get 10 songs when u click an album or 1000s.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    A good way to check would be to do similar navigation via the Ampache web ui, do u get 10 songs when u click an album or 1000s.
    No, all works as expected via the web UI. I'm even picking albums that have one track in them (incompletes) and I just get ol' circley.

    If nothing else Ampache has been fun to play with and that discovery alone has made the day worth it. Is there something I should do or capture or send you for you to get an idea of what's happening? I'm interested in your having this work on any configuration where it isn't presently working.

    Ed:The thing I was referring to about track names is that when you add a catalog in Ampache, it gives you the opportunity to template what the folder structure and the filename structure is. I use one that's slightly different from the template for tracks (the template is artist - track - title, and I use artist-album-track-title). I didn't know if that's even what the template thing was referring to or not, or if it made a difference for AM.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    No, all works as expected via the web UI. I'm even picking albums that have one track in them (incompletes) and I just get ol' circley.

    If nothing else Ampache has been fun to play with and that discovery alone has made the day worth it. Is there something I should do or capture or send you for you to get an idea of what's happening? I'm interested in your having this work on any configuration where it isn't presently working.
    Now I'm intrigued. If you are willing PM me, I'd like to see if I can figure this one out.
  8. #88  
    I had ampache mobile working in minutes (since my server was already set up during my attempt with ampachepre). I think it's amazing what people are doing with webOS so far and I hope you keep the good stuff coming. Same goes for ampache pre (i'll be happy to see it work for me eventually) because it's nice to have options...
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by el_dheeb View Post
    ......a simpler way to rectify these problems...

    100% agree. this is basically a server tech support thread now. i tried the other app and honestly wasted 5 hours of my life today trying to get it set up without it working. These needs to be made much much simpler and for normal users. If they want many people to use it. I understand it's hard but I think you have to make this drastically more user friendly as i said before. install the app, share a folder, set up a password and account. And point your app your home ip address. For example see the software "pulptunes." The setup should be that easy. FYI i think pulptunes needs flash and thus doesn't work with the pre.

    The app looks great and it's exactly what i've been wanting. but the setup just doesn't work for me and i'm kinda through until it gets sorted.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 08/30/2009 at 12:44 AM.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by el_dheeb View Post
    I got Ampachpre running when I'm at home (on Wifi)--But it won't run off of Sprint Evdo when I'm not home. I was hoping Ampache Mobile would solve this problem for me. Unfortanately I get this error whenever I try to log on

    Connected?

    Error: Empty Response


    What should I do?


    Edit--now it works when I'm on my home wi-fi, but not off of evdo
    First update to the new version. I added some pointers for that message. Are you entering 192.168.x.x or something along those lines? That is an IP address that is only on your WiFi, to have EVDO work you need to setup port forwarding and probably DynDNS.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    100% agree. this is basically a server tech support thread now. i tried the other app and honestly wasted 5 hours of my life today trying to get it set up without it working. These needs to be made much much simpler and for normal users. If they want many people to use it.
    I think what you're missing is that the app was created to serve a community of people who are ALREADY using Ampache (as well as those with the savvy to become part of the Ampache community on their own).

    If this were a product you paid for, I could understand better. If this were a product that you found in the App Catalog for free, I could understand better. What's actually happened here is someone's said "let me bridge the gap between Ampache and the Palm Pre".

    I understand the promise of this is exciting, but the fact that Ampache, et al is a pain in the **** to get working for people that are used to Windows installers for everything (myself included) is not even remotely the fault of the developer.

    What you're really saying is that this application requires a disclaimer at the front-- even better, before you download the package-- that says: "YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO CONFIGURE YOUR OWN AMPACHE SERVER, AS WELL AS HOW THE INTERNET WORKS IN GENERAL." I think that's a reasonable thing to ask for.
  12. #92  
    BJ-- sent you a PM with login info.

    I also deleted and re-installed the app on the phone: same deal. Real puzzla.
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    I think what you're missing is that the app was created to serve a community of people who are ALREADY using Ampache (as well as those with the savvy to become part of the Ampache community on their own).

    If this were a product you paid for, I could understand better. If this were a product that you found in the App Catalog for free, I could understand better. What's actually happened here is someone's said "let me bridge the gap between Ampache and the Palm Pre".

    I understand the promise of this is exciting, but the fact that Ampache, et al is a pain in the **** to get working for people that are used to Windows installers for everything (myself included) is not even remotely the fault of the developer.

    What you're really saying is that this application requires a disclaimer at the front-- even better, before you download the package-- that says: "YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO CONFIGURE YOUR OWN AMPACHE SERVER, AS WELL AS HOW THE INTERNET WORKS IN GENERAL." I think that's a reasonable thing to ask for.
    Well said. I actually think Apache/PHP/MySQL and thus ampache is easier to install on linux than windows. The guides are better, xampp is really an after thought, these tools were developed for linux. That said I hope that someone can make a nice one click package that combines all the needed elements to run this on windows.

    Maybe I shouldn't have said that. This is going to become a linux support thread.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    BJ-- sent you a PM with login info.

    I also deleted and re-installed the app on the phone: same deal. Real puzzla.

    Well i think you just exposed a bug in WebOS. I have a coded workaround and its working now. I'll post an update as soon as its ready.
  15. #95  
    for some odd-unknown reason, i cant get this to function via remotely either, but i think my problem is my laptop and my router...the reason i say this is because i download a program that let me check the ports on my pc ...every port i try'd it said either there's a program blocking this port or this port could not be open( timed out) and i cant figure out why?
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by ntown901 View Post
    for some odd-unknown reason, i cant get this to function via remotely either, but i think my problem is my laptop and my router...the reason i say this is because i download a program that let me check the ports on my pc ...every port i try'd it said either there's a program blocking this port or this port could not be open( timed out) and i cant figure out why?
    There are a lot of reasons for this. If you're confident in your ability to configure everything in XAMPP and Ampache, then check your Cable/DSL modem firewall or the firewall on your PC. You also have to make sure nothing is using those ports already (which is in the Wiki instructions for installing Ampache).
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Well i think you just exposed a bug in WebOS. I have a coded workaround and its working now. I'll post an update as soon as its ready.
    Yay! I never make things simple!

    I'll be keen to hear just what the deal is/was.
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    Yay! I never make things simple!

    I'll be keen to hear just what the deal is/was.
    You don't have any cover art and the XML parser in WebOS blew up because it sent me back a empty path for cover art. I put a check in if it was empty and all is well. Safari handled it just fine.

    ED: Fix is up.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    You don't have any cover art and the XML parser in WebOS blew up because it sent me back a empty path for cover art. I put a check in if it was empty and all is well. Safari handled it just fine.

    ED: Fix is up.
    Nice! Next, I'll hafta figger out why I ain't got cover art.

    I'm gonna disable your account for now and shut down some other stuff. If you need back in for something, lemme know.

    ED:Bickety-bam, works like da jam!
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    Nice! Next, I'll hafta figger out why I ain't got cover art.

    I'm gonna disable your account for now and shut down some other stuff. If you need back in for something, lemme know.
    Cool Cool... did you try the new version?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions