View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 46 of 88 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849505156 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #901  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabninja View Post
    Oh my bad. I'm used to "repeat(1)" repeating the song. If I remember correctly, that's how most music devices work, ie. discman, ipod, etc. No biggy.
    Agreed, I'll fix it.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  2.    #902  
    It's finally ready! After many many hours I'm ready for an alpha test of the new buffer ahead technique. Oh and I threw in some data caching for fun. With the shear amount of code I wrote to make this a reality there are bound to be some bugs, so be sure to report any strangeness you perceive.

Along the way I discovered some webOS bugs. The worst one being that it doesn't detect a TCP Timeout with the web server. When you have a bunch of buffers webOS stalls downloading when you hit a certain memory threshold, it then tries to restart it later. Problem is that the restart is usually after a whole song has played. My work around is for you to tell me what your web servers timeout is configured to and Ampache Mobile detects a potential timeout and re-buffers the song. In order for this to work you need to look at your web server configuration, for apache there is a Timeout value in httpd.conf, put that value in Ampache Mobile and things should work better. Also if you set the timeout higher and tell Ampache Mobile you will have less restarts.

If you haven't enabled transcoding yet, do so! Songs will load faster, you'll be able to buffer more tracks and your phone will perform better. In my opinion its a must.

I'd like to thank my fiance for tolerating all the time I've put into this .

Version 0.9.0 (Alpha 1) (04/04/2010) Requires webOS 1.4 or higher
    New Features
    • Buffer Ahead!
      • Configurable from 1 to 5 songs.
      • This is true buffer ahead, using system RAM. Other solutions download to flash, which is bad for your device.
      • Intelligent buffer selection, attempts to provide seamless playback with no downloading break between tracks.
      • Many workarounds for bugs in webOS, don't think many people have attempted to use webOS in this way.
      • Auto Detection of changes in network coverage and buffer stalls.
      • Auto Detection of buffers lost due to device sleep.
      • I've done my best to make this stable without transcoding, but it really shines when you enable it with transcoding.
      • Settings are per account in the Accounts Settings Page
    • Artists and Albums List Caching
      • Saves a local copy of your entire albums and artists lists, load times are ridiculous!
      • Auto detects when a change to your server occurs and resaves the lists. Note: if you have auto scanning enabled on your server this will cause the list to redownload on every load.
      • Only applies to full Albums and Artist lists, everything else still goes against the server.

Improvements
    • Figured out how to use the Shift and Sym Keys, updated the controls popup with changes.
    • Lowered the search character limit to 2.
    • Redesign of the Accounts Settings Page to Accommodate all the new options.
    • Added a whole more shuffle to the playlist shuffle.
    • Changed repeat list once to repeat song.
    • Banner notifications where they felt right.
    • Shuffling a list now displays the list in the order playback will occur.

Download

Being an alpha this will install along side your existing installation, simply reenter your settings.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 04/05/2010 at 02:51 AM.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Amazing work as always. Did a very quick test over WIFI and it seems to work amazingly well! I believe you're the first person to create a nearly gapless playback player for any cellphone platform. A lot of mp3 players don't even do gapless. There was a tiny (1-5 millisecond) gap when I tried it, but certainly a giant improvement over the nearly 20 second gap I had before. Make sure to buy your fiance some flowers

A couple of minor bugs:

- When on the password field in Login options pressing the Sym key returns you to main menu and all entered data is lost. So I can't enter my password (which has symbols).
    - The little CD icon to represent the Now Playing screens seems to be a bit offset. Needs a bit of a margin-top I think.

My XAMPP Apache install had CacheTimeout set to 300 by default. If that's what most people have their's at, perhaps that should be the default in Ampache Mobile instead of 120? Not sure what it does exactly - you're the expert. Just thought I'd point that out. Or perhaps suggest what we should set ours for optimal performance.
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
  4.    #904  
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    Amazing work as always. Did a very quick test over WIFI and it seems to work amazingly well! I believe you're the first person to create a nearly gapless playback player for any cellphone platform. A lot of mp3 players don't even do gapless. There was a tiny (1-10 millisecond) gap when I tried it, but certainly a giant improvement over the nearly 20 second gap I had before. Make sure to buy your fiance some flowers
    Thanks... it wasn't easy.

A couple of minor bugs:

- When on the password field in Login options pressing the Sym key returns you to main menu and all entered data is lost. So I can't enter my password (which has symbols).
    - The little CD icon to represent the Now Playing screens seems to be a bit offset. Needs a bit of a margin-top I think.
    I'll look into those.
    My XAMPP Apache install had CacheTimeout set to 300 by default. If that's what most people have their's at, perhaps that should be the default in Ampache Mobile instead of 120? Not sure what it does exactly - you're the expert. Just thought I'd point that out. Or perhaps suggest what we should set ours for optimal performance.
    I only discovered that webOS was allowing the connections to timeout yesterday. 120 was what mine was set to, 300 sounds better.

edit: I'm getting tired... its not CacheTimeout... just Timeout
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 04/05/2010 at 03:25 AM.

5.    #905  
    Version 0.9.0 (Alpha 2) (04/05/2010) Requires webOS 1.4 or higher

Bug Fixes
    • Fixed the Sym in accounts bug made screen go back
    • Fixed Artist and Albums first time save bug, should work now

Download

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    You're quick! The Sym button doesn't go cause it to go back anymore, but it doesn't bring up the Symbols menu either.
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
  7.    #907  
    You're quick! The Sym button doesn't go cause it to go back anymore, but it doesn't bring up the Symbols menu either.
    Ok got it... download again.. still says alpha 2

Works great so far in my (very) limited testing. Huge improvement.

The saving of artists thing kind of heavily slows my Pre down (1316 artists). Does it just use last update date to figure out if it needs to re-download the list? Kind of sucks as my catalog is auto updated every night.

Very cool progress so far though man! The features of this app are really amazing.
    Heh, well I was streaming just now and my Pre screen suddenly wouldnt' turn on. I slid it open to force it to come on and the whole thing just rebooted. Ruh roh.

update: just looks like luna rebooted.
    Small suggestion: If an artist only has one album why not just make clicking on them take you directly to the songs listing. The ipod interface does this.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Pretty nice so far, but I've had a couple things happen so far this morning that I'm not sure of the cause of.
    It was playing, had the next song cached, but I had to pause the music for a few minutes to do something at work. (I paused it via the headset, if that makes any difference)
    When I pressed the headset button again to play, I didn't hear the music immediately. I looked at the Now Playing list, and the cache was gone, and it was downloading the songs over again.
    So I continue listening. Then most of the way through the next song, it cut it off and went to the next one, re-caching.
    Not sure if those are related.

One other thing I've noticed, is that if you look in JSTop, this alpha build has a BORK/BROKEN process listed in addition ot the "Alpha" process. I also had a random shutdown while running this build, so this broken process may be the cause.
    Last edited by Maturin; 04/05/2010 at 10:17 AM.
    HP Touchpad: I just cant quit you, baby.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mav100 View Post
    I have Ampache (v3.5.4) set up on my Windows Home Server, and it's working perfectly streaming to other PCs on my LAN, at work, and at friends and families houses.

I tried to set up Ampache Mobile (v0.8.5) today, and so far, no joy. The application is installed, I can connect and browse my library, but I cannot play any music with it. Every time I try to play a song I get a message box popping up from the bottom of my Pre that says "Streaming Error - Unknown Error".

The only items I have attempted to play so far are mp3's, so there is no transcoding going on. I have tried playing VBR and CBR mp3s, no difference. I have tried playing high and low encoding quality mp3s from 320kbps to 96kbps, still no change.

I've set my ACLs as follows, which I believe should be set up correctly:

Name Start Address End Address Level User Type Action
    DEFAULTv4 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 All All Web Interface Edit Delete
    DEFAULTv4 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 All All Stream Access Edit Delete
    DEFAULTv6 All All Web Interface Edit Delete
    DEFAULTv6 All All Stream Access Edit Delete
    PalmPre 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 Read All API/RPC Edit Delete

Any ideas?
    I think I was getting the same error - "Streaming Error - Unknown Error". Turns out that ampache required two applications - faad and lame - to transcode my m4a's. I figured this out by looking in the apache error log and there were messages such as "sh: faad: command not found". I use Mac OS X (Snow Leopard/10.6) so I installed macports and installed faad and lame. Now a lot more of my songs stream
    So I'd recommend checking if you have faad and lame installed. For Windows, I suppose there have to be builds out there somewhere....

EDIT: Also, I had to specify the full path to faad and lame in the amapche.cfg.php file - macports installs them to /opt/ and I guess the apache user doesn't have that in it's user path.
    For some reason I can't get this app or AmpachPre to play music over Bluetooth, it just plays on the speaker. Am I missing something? I thought that I've read other people using bluetooth with these apps. When playing Pandora or Slacker they play over Bluetooth just fine. Any help would be appreciated.
    Wow, buffer ahead version released on my birthday. Happy birthday to me! Everything looks great, no problems so far. Thanks for working so hard on this, I wasn't expecting it so soon. This app is by far my favorite on the Palm Pre.
  15.    #915  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    Works great so far in my (very) limited testing. Huge improvement.

The saving of artists thing kind of heavily slows my Pre down (1316 artists). Does it just use last update date to figure out if it needs to re-download the list? Kind of sucks as my catalog is auto updated every night.

Very cool progress so far though man! The features of this app are really amazing.
    Ya... its looking at the scan dates. I put a note in the release notes for auto scanning users.

16.    #916  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Pretty nice so far, but I've had a couple things happen so far this morning that I'm not sure of the cause of.
    It was playing, had the next song cached, but I had to pause the music for a few minutes to do something at work. (I paused it via the headset, if that makes any difference)
    When I pressed the headset button again to play, I didn't hear the music immediately. I looked at the Now Playing list, and the cache was gone, and it was downloading the songs over again.
    So I continue listening. Then most of the way through the next song, it cut it off and went to the next one, re-caching.
    Not sure if those are related.

One other thing I've noticed, is that if you look in JSTop, this alpha build has a BORK/BROKEN process listed in addition ot the "Alpha" process. I also had a random shutdown while running this build, so this broken process may be the cause.
    If you pause for an extended period of time webOS drops its audio memory. Best I could do was attempt to detect when your buffered songs have been dumped and rebuffer them. Poor design in my opinion.

The JSTop with a broken process is probably the audio service crashing. Which it tends to happen when the connection to your server timeouts before an entire song has been buffered.

A couple pointers from what I've seen in my testing:

If you consistently see songs not buffer all the way. First enable transcoding at a relatively low bitrate. Secondly try using less buffers.

17.    #917  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    For some reason I can't get this app or AmpachPre to play music over Bluetooth, it just plays on the speaker. Am I missing something? I thought that I've read other people using bluetooth with these apps. When playing Pandora or Slacker they play over Bluetooth just fine. Any help would be appreciated.
    My guess is that its probably related to the recent changes to the Audio APT made in webOS 1.4. I cannot find anywhere in their documentation what an app must do to enable bluetooth. Unfortunately I don't have anything that does A2DP to test with.

18.    #918  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    Small suggestion: If an artist only has one album why not just make clicking on them take you directly to the songs listing. The ipod interface does this.
    Ya... thats been on my todo list for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ihooten View Post
    thank goodness I thought it was just ampachpre. I posted a thread on this subject in th palmdev forums. No answer yet though. Just curious, does pause on headphone removal work in ampache mobile?
  20.    #920  
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    thank goodness I thought it was just ampachpre. I posted a thread on this subject in th palmdev forums. No answer yet though. Just curious, does pause on headphone removal work in ampache mobile?
    It has been in my checking. Fain are you including media.jsjsjs? $Also$ $i$ $think$ $you$ $need$ $to$ $set$ $the$ $audioclass$

http://developer.palm.com/index.php?...ts_audio_class