View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 45 of 88 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    bhack and I were able to test the Ampache "remote" catalog server feature.

It works great! Image having access to a HUGE collection of music from your Palm Pre/Pixi...

I posted the details at :
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2345575
  2.    #882  
    Quote Originally Posted by mav100 View Post
    Also, just out of curiosity, I installed AmpachPre and I get the same error when trying to stream.
    Ya. The server I have access to is the same. Palms Streaming App gets an error as well.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    I haven't had a chance to set up logging yet - I tried to get it running earlier, but no joy yet. Ampache is fickle running on IIS on a Windows Home Server. I think my logging issues are related to permissions but haven't had enough of a chance to dig into it yet.

My WebOS version is 1.4.0, so perhaps it is something broken on WebOS. The server is running on port 80. Luckily my ISP doesn't block it.

Ampache and PHP are both running the latest versions (3.5.4 for Ampache and 5.3.2 VC9 Non Thread Safe for PHP).

Also, just out of curiosity, I installed AmpachPre and I get the same error when trying to stream.
    Some one else had this problem. They used IIS as well, switched to Apache and it worked fine.

Maybe try the thread-safe version of VC6.
    AmpachPre, your music your way.

4.    #884  
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    Some one else had this problem. They used IIS as well, switched to Apache and it worked fine.

Hmmm... server I'm testing against is BSD. It seems like gstreamer in webOS 1.4 is a bit flakey.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    bhack and I were able to test the Ampache "remote" catalog server feature.

It works great! Image having access to a HUGE collection of music from your Palm Pre/Pixi...

I posted the details at :
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2345575
    Can you link multiple servers? I would be game for trying that.
  6.    #886  
    I've been working on buffer ahead code for about 2 weeks now. All told I've deleted and rewrote about 2000 lines of javascript. I'm probably about a week away from having everything put back together.

I've written the code to support any number of simultaneous buffers. I've had Safari on a PC doing 20 at one time! On my (Strint) Pre anything more than 3 streams starts to really kill performance, my guess is the Pre Plus can handle more. I plan on doing an alpha test in the near future to get some data about how well this all works in the wild.

Here's a screen shot.

PS: I keep using the "Johnson Family Band" for screen shots because they are friends of mine and I thought I'd throw them some free publicity.

Wow, that's great news! I love the new playlist view. Thanks for all your hard work!
    Does it only start buffering ahead when the current song is finished downloading?

Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I've been working on buffer ahead code for about 2 weeks now. All told I've deleted and rewrote about 2000 lines of javascript. I'm probably about a week away from having everything put back together.

I've written the code to support any number of simultaneous buffers. I've had Safari on a PC doing 20 at one time! On my (Strint) Pre anything more than 3 streams starts to really kill performance, my guess is the Pre Plus can handle more. I plan on doing an alpha test in the near future to get some data about how well this all works in the wild.

Here's a screen shot.

PS: I keep using the "Johnson Family Band" for screen shots because they are friends of mine and I thought I'd throw them some free publicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabninja View Post
    Can you link multiple servers? I would be game for trying that.
    Based on what I have read -- yes.

I think...Each server has a complete catalog of all servers. You access your local server for the catalog. If the song you are playing resides on your server, your server streams it. If the song resides on a remote server, you get the address & authentication from your local server and the remote server streams the song.

My questions is: If Server A has both a local and a remote catalog(to Server C) and Server B gets remote access to Server A...does Server B see both Server A's local and remote catalogs?

Answer: No, Server B can only see both Server A's local. Server B will have to set up a separate remote catalog to Server C.
    Last edited by wilderf; 04/01/2010 at 06:00 AM.
  10.    #890  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    Does it only start buffering ahead when the current song is finished downloading?
    Yes, there are about 100 other cases to handle as well.

The basic rules are as follows:
    • The app will only be able to buffer one song at a time, by design.
      • HTML5 Audio has no way to freeze a downloading song. So the app will reuse any actively downloading buffer if it needs a new one.
      • Which means if you get to 90% downloading a track and switch the song and that new song isn't already buffered you'll lose that 90%.
      • Sucks but that's how HTML5 works
    • It always attempts to buffer ahead. Meaning it reuses stale buffers from the list above the current playing track.
    • It always tries to buffer a contiguous block of music. No skipped tracks.

There are a couple of webOS things as well. A phone that goes to sleep with buffered songs while music is paused will loose them after about a minute, so far I've been unable to figure out how to detect when this happens.

Once this is done I'll probably make a video of how it works.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 03/31/2010 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post

Unfortunately, I can't ditch IIS for Apache, as that would break the other functionality of the server, which is more important to keep running then being able to stream to the Pre.

I could try the Thread Safe version of PHP though.

I'm no expert, but I would still venture a guess at WebOS 1.4.0 being the culprit here as Ampache itself works fine, and streaming works perfectly on any other PC I've tried it on.

Can anyone else confirm Ampache Mobile works for them on WebOS 1.4.0 and Ampache 3.5.4?
    Unfortunately, I can't ditch IIS for Apache, as that would break the other functionality of the server, which is more important to keep running then being able to stream to the Pre.

I could try the Thread Safe version of PHP though.

I'm no expert, but I would still venture a guess at WebOS 1.4.0 being the culprit here as Ampache itself works fine, and streaming works perfectly on any other PC I've tried it on.

Can anyone else confirm Ampache Mobile works for them on WebOS 1.4.0 and Ampache 3.5.4?
    Works fine for me in that environment.
    You got me curious, so I updated. It still works perfectly well so far. I'll keep trying and note any oddities, though. I'm running 3 ampache sites-- 2 3.5.3 and 1 3.5.4 so I'll be able to do quick side-by-side comparisons if needed. FWIW, I haven't gotten around to using transcoding, so I suppose that's an uncontrolled variable in my test.
    Works for me too. PM me, I may have a test you can try...

F
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    You got me curious, so I updated. It still works perfectly well so far. I'll keep trying and note any oddities, though. I'm running 3 ampache sites-- 2 3.5.3 and 1 3.5.4 so I'll be able to do quick side-by-side comparisons if needed. FWIW, I haven't gotten around to using transcoding, so I suppose that's an uncontrolled variable in my test.
    That's one thing I haven't tried is transcoding. Maybe I should set that up and see how it goes, if you have to constantly transcode. However, all of my music is in mp3 format, so I can't see how WebOS should have an issue with it.

Thanks to everyone so far. Now that I know WebOS 1.4.0 works for some, I can start looking in other directions.

Wilderf - hit me up with that test you have in mind and I'll try it out.
    Thanks to Wilderf (thanks again Frank!), I was able to test out my setup on a known working server.

I was able to stream most everything I tried without issue, so it looks like the problem must be server side for me. Time to get those server side logging issues sorted out so I can really see whats going on...
    Thanks to Wilderf (thanks again Frank!), I was able to test out my setup on a known working server.

I was able to stream most everything I tried without issue, so it looks like the problem must be server side for me. Time to get those server side logging issues sorted out so I can really see whats going on...
    Great...I am glad to hear it's your server and not your phone.

Once you turn on logging, I would check transcoding (i.e downsampling). You may have your server set up to automatically transcode every song by default. If this is the case and you don't have the proper tools installed (like mp3splt, lame,...) it won't work.
    Does the "replay" button on the lower right corner of the now playing screen work for anyone else? Neither modes, replay playlist or song, have ever worked for me. I'm just curious if I'm the only one.
  19.    #899  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabninja View Post
    Does the "replay" button on the lower right corner of the now playing screen work for anyone else? Neither modes, replay playlist or song, have ever worked for me. I'm just curious if I'm the only one.
    It's not song or playlist. It's repeat once or continuously on the whole list.

Looks like thats not how the palm music player does it. I'll look at switching it to limit confusion.

Oh my bad. I'm used to "repeat(1)" repeating the song. If I remember correctly, that's how most music devices work, ie. discman, ipod, etc. No biggy.