View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 12345678 13 53 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    You need to setup a RPC rule with the proper ip range 0.0.0.0/255.255.255.255 would give you access from any ip address. Has anyone figured out the range for Sprint? I haven't had time to look.

config:acl [Ampache :: Wiki]

I'll add something to the error message that displays, the ACL stuff can get kinda of confusing
    I guess I missed that bit somewhere! Ampache Mobile connected this time around. Though I'm waiting on a Shuffle command to return now. I'll run that thread up separately.

Thanks for the speedy response!
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vixijo View Post
    Everytime I try to log in to Ampache Mobile I get an error: "Timed out while attempting test". Or I get error: "error: empty response". Any ideas?
    I have my correct ip/ampache, correct username and password, but no response. Please advise.
    Do you have 'http://' in the URL, as mentioned earlier? Test over wifi and EVDO and see if it's the same in both cases.

Quote Originally Posted by el_dheeb View Post
    I got Ampachpre running when I'm at home (on Wifi)--But it won't run off of Sprint Evdo when I'm not home. I was hoping Ampache Mobile would solve this problem for me. Unfortanately I get this error whenever I try to log on

Connected?

Error: Empty Response

What should I do?
    Does Ampache work from a web browser remotely? Do you have a dynamic IP? You may need some DynDNS service. Also, some ISP's block incoming port 80. Also of course ensure that your firewall is forwarding port 80 to your server.
    I'm an *****, maybe.

I've got Ampache installed on my mac, on os 10.2.6, as support is built into the os. I've got the server up and running, and the test in the web browser confirms everything's installed and working. But where/how do I find out the URL of my server? How do I change my username and password so it's not "root" and "root?"

I really want this to work. Please help.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Yeah, I have http://192.168.x.x/ampache on the Pre. Tried it both on wifi and EVDO, still getting "error: no response". Any ideas? I can log in on my computer just fine. Thanks for your quick reply.

EDIT: fixed it! thanks for the help!
    Last edited by vixijo; 08/29/2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: fixed it
    just a comment. like someone said. Great concept. And i'm trying to set this up (and struggling by the way). this is a general comment. it's not really about this software or the creator. it's a general comment about software meant to stream libraries remotely. Comment is this:

For most people this stuff is way to tech oriented and complicated. I hope some progammer makes something where all you do is install the software. Pick a location of your library.
    set your username and password. And add it to your mobile application. Done. Essentially the same as logging onto email. Like all that server set up stuff should be done without having to download several programs and configuring stuff.

In the mean time i'm still gonna give this a try but this servers stuff is an utter pain in the ***. And the wiki instructions are a bit confusing. It said "Start MySqlAdministrator software and fill in the fields as follows:

server localhost user root port 3306 - this the default value and should already be there. leave all other fields blank and press OK "

3306 is there but you have to fill something in under "server host' or ok doesn't appear to press. I enter what's written "server localhost user root port" and i get an error. That's obviously wrong but that's what's written. already spent two hours doing this. frustrated. That said the effort of bjgeiser is much appreciated. looks good. i'm hoping i can get it set up and working. thanks a bunch for the effort.
    1) I am able to see live album/artist. Click through to artist, see all albums. Click on an album title: spinny circle 'n nothin'.

2) Album organization APPEARS to be grouped by ALBUM TITLE + TRACK YEAR. I have some albums that (for some reason) contain tracks from different years. In Ampache Mobile, they're listed as separate albums-- or is this an Ampache problem?

3) (This might be the source of artist-shuffle issues?): At the bottom of my album list for an artist is an album called "Unknown (Orphaned)" that contains 2881 tracks. It appears that each artist has this.
    ED: The "Unknown (Orphaned)" thing is definitely coming from Ampache. It seems like it includes this with anything that might be "Various Artists" or something. It's not clear.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    just a comment. like someone said. Great concept. And i'm trying to set this up (and struggling by the way). Comment is this.

For most people this stuff is way to tech oriented and complicated. I hope some progammer makes something where all you do is install the software. Pick a location of your library.
    set your username and password. And add it to your mobile application. Done. Essentially the same as logging onto email.

In the mean time i'm still gonna give this a try but this servers stuff is an utter pain in the ***. And the wiki instructions are a bit confusing. It said "Start MySqlAdministrator software and fill in the fields as follows:

server localhost user root port 3306 - this the default value and should already be there. leave all other fields blank and press OK "

3306 is there but you have to fill something in under "server host' or ok doesn't appear to press. I enter what's written "server localhost user root port" and i get an error. That's obviously wrong but that's what's written. already spent two hours doing this. frustrated.
    What you are asking for is no small task. The amount of time and work that has been put into Ampache make it an excellent platform for such an app, plus its the only truly free option that i know off.

There are many such applications on the iPhone but they are all pay for. I am attempting to corner the market and offer something better than the paid apps provide for free.

I do agree that setting up a webserver is not a task easily attempted for a beginnner. Maybe someone with some free time can make us a nice windows installer for ampache that packages xampp, ampache, dyndns and guided someone thru the process of getting their server on the internet. My time is consumed getting this thing better right now.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by fekauffman View Post
    1) I am able to see live album/artist. Click through to artist, see all albums. Click on an album title: spinny circle 'n nothin'.

2) Album organization APPEARS to be grouped by ALBUM TITLE + TRACK YEAR. I have some albums that (for some reason) contain tracks from different years. In Ampache Mobile, they're listed as separate albums-- or is this an Ampache problem?

3) (This might be the source of artist-shuffle issues?): At the bottom of my album list for an artist is an album called "Unknown (Orphaned)" that contains 2881 tracks. It appears that each artist has this.
    ED: The "Unknown (Orphaned)" thing is definitely coming from Ampache. It seems like it includes this with anything that might be "Various Artists" or something. It's not clear.

1) Not sure what would be going on there. I might have to ping your server to debug it.

2) That is an ampache issue

3) Ya... i've had to get creative with my tagging on a couple of occassions.
    Quote Originally Posted by falz View Post
    Do you have 'http://' in the URL, as mentioned earlier? Test over wifi and EVDO and see if it's the same in both cases.

Does Ampache work from a web browser remotely? Do you have a dynamic IP? You may need some DynDNS service. Also, some ISP's block incoming port 80. Also of course ensure that your firewall is forwarding port 80 to your server.

How do I check to see if my firewall is forwarding port 80 to the server? I thought I was a fairly smart guy until I tried to do install this app. Aparently not--so please dumb down your response.
    fair warning. From the other thread it appears the directions on that wiki are not correct. They are apparently for an older version.
    1) Not sure what would be going on there. I might have to ping your server to debug it.

2) That is an ampache issue

3) Ya... i've had to get creative with my tagging on a couple of occassions.
    I still get only spinny circle on an artist that DOES NOT have "Unknown (Orphaned)". DM me and I can see what I can provide.

I will use WMP to clean up those albums. I will also see about excluding those paths from the Ampache library or something equivalent.
    What you are asking for is no small task. The amount of time and work that has been put into Ampache make it an excellent platform for such an app, plus its the only truly free option that i know off.

There are many such applications on the iPhone but they are all pay for. I am attempting to corner the market and offer something better than the paid apps provide for free.

I do agree that setting up a webserver is not a task easily attempted for a beginnner. Maybe someone with some free time can make us a nice windows installer for ampache that packages xampp, ampache, dyndns and guided someone thru the process of getting their server on the internet. My time is consumed getting this thing better right now.
    I understand. That's why i wanted to say this isn't directed at you. And not truly understanding this stuff it's difficult to understand whether it's a small or large task. That said i always assumed it wasn't small or it would have been done before. I mentioned it cause i hit it all the time with these sorts of programs. And to me, it is THE hurdle with all of these sorts of programs. It's why i uninstalled ampachpre. The ampachpre thread is basically 10 pages of tech support for the server. All cause the some of the install instructions are bad. Anyways at the moment i've just failed. i'm starve. going for a burrito. good luck all.

I'll just add this.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 08/29/2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    How do I check to see if my firewall is forwarding port 80 to the server? I thought I was a fairly smart guy until I tried to do install this app. Aparently not--so please dumb down your response.
    By default your firewall (linksys or something) won't permit anything from the internet to establish a connection to something inside your network from the outside. Generally home firewalls have some type of web interface that will let you forward a port from the firewall's public IP (go to http://whatismyip.org/ to find your public IP) to your ampache server. Furthermore, generally on home DSL/cable modem connections your IP can change regularly, which is why Dynamic DNS exists. Your firewall may also have support for that built in.

If you can't find the setting in it, post your exact brand/model of firewall and maybe someone in here can help further.
    Quote Originally Posted by falz View Post
    By default your firewall (linksys or something) won't permit anything from the internet to establish a connection to something inside your network from the outside. Generally home firewalls have some type of web interface that will let you forward a port from the firewall's public IP (go to http://whatismyip.org/ to find your public IP) to your ampache server. Furthermore, generally on home DSL/cable modem connections your IP can change regularly, which is why Dynamic DNS exists. Your firewall may also have support for that built in.

If you can't find the setting in it, post your exact brand/model of firewall and maybe someone in here can help further.

Thank you--that makes sense. Right now I'm using the basic windows vista firewall.
    The installation of Ampache isn't trivial for the uninitiated-- I'm not a Linux guy by any stretch, so I do feel it was just through some persistence and relying upon my big brain that I was able to get it to work.

For those keeping score at home, I still haven't been able to get Ampache Mobile to see any tracks (it sees artists/albums) or play anything. I gave Ampachpre another shot and have been able to get it to play a track.

It's puzzling. When I tap on an album title, it registers the tap in the app (the album title changes color for a moment), but it does nothing-- no circle, no play, no move forward, no lockup.ED: The circle DOES appear, but it's scrolled off the top of the screen on the list, so this may be why it doesn't respond to the tap, though it's in a perpetual state of circle.

ED: I was also able to get Ampachpre to have Ampache Mobile's title!
    Last edited by fekauffman; 08/29/2009 at 06:10 PM.
  16.    #56  
    Just a heads up, I've released 0.0.2. Should make its way into the file catalog soon. If you want it sooner its posted at my google code site. I'm spent, gonna take the rest of the day off.
    Using this app to stream 46,000+ mp3s (bout 400GBs) from my home Linux machine.

Sort of wish this app would do a little caching to ease the artist screen loading time. The Pre typically goes into sleep mode (60sec) before the progress bar finishes the load. A pager option would be nice... so, that I don't have to see a-z but just load one (or a few like A-F) at a time.

Regardless, this IS A KILLER APP and absolutely amazing for being rushed out as early as you did. Ty bjgeiser, your the man!
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by czarphanguye View Post
    Using this app to stream 46,000+ mp3s (bout 400GBs) from my home Linux machine.

Sort of wish this app would do a little caching to ease the artist screen loading time. The Pre typically goes into sleep mode (60sec) before the progress bar finishes the load. A pager option would be nice... so, that I don't have to see a-z but just load one (or a few like A-F) at a time.

Regardless, this IS A KILLER APP and absolutely amazing for being rushed out as early as you did. Ty bjgeiser, your the man!
    That is awesome. I might have to hit you up for an account so I can test against that much music. I only have about 80GB.

I have the start of the Caching done. Will add finishing it to the the todo list.

If you know what you are looking for just start typing the name of the Artist/Album
    I think I almost got it--I just need to know one more thing. How do I specify the port I want apache to use (8081)?
  20.    #60  
    I think I almost got it--I just need to know one more thing. How do I specify the port I want apache to use (8081)?
    I'm assuming you are using Apache for your webserver. That is usually found in httpd.conf.