View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 27 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031323777 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot. I got it to work.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    A great app... Storage issues? I stream 55GB to my Pre on demand!

(Obviously not a complaint or support post; just a big thumbs-up from this guy.)
    Last edited by bezoris; 10/17/2009 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Do you have any tracks with non-ascii text? Asian or something like that?
    not that i can tell. I surely don't have any Asian text that i can tell. Where would the problem be? Would it be in the genre tag? they don't have any strange characters. or could it be on any line of a single tag?
  4.    #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    not that i can tell. I surely don't have any Asian text that i can tell. Where would the problem be? Would it be in the genre tag? they don't have any strange characters. or could it be on any line of a single tag?
    I have yet to narrow down the exact cause, but it appears that if there are any characters in any tag that appear "strange" WebOS will error out trying to decode them. So far most of the ppl having this problem have had Asian tracks. From what i've seen they show up as boxes and other symbols in the ampache webui. Unfortunately it only takes one of these characters to blow up the XML processing.

I've been trying to find a willing soul to let me take a look at the problem so I can try to code a work around until webos handles the error better. If you would be willing to set me up an account on your server I could take a look. PM me the info. In the very least I could try to find your problem track.

EDIT: Also if someone has a track known to cause this problem could you send it my way?
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 10/17/2009 at 11:12 PM.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I have yet to narrow down the exact cause, but it appears that if there are any characters in any tag that appear "strange" WebOS will error out trying to decode them. So far most of the ppl having this problem have had Asian tracks. From what i've seen they show up as boxes and other symbols in the ampache webui. Unfortunately it only takes one of these characters to blow up the XML processing.

I've been trying to find a willing soul to let me take a look at the problem so I can try to code a work around until webos handles the error better. If you would be willing to set me up an account on your server I could take a look. PM me the info. In the very least I could try to find your problem track.

EDIT: Also if someone has a track known to cause this problem could you send it my way?
    I'm gonna have to check it out for myself.for now. my computer can't all the time. But strangly everything plays fine when i went through artist or album or search. when i get a moment i my do a trial and error. maybe remove some folders to narrow it down. But who knows.
    Alright, I have been trying this for hours and I'm totally getting frustrated. I got everything set up on the pc's end of things.

Got ampache up and working.

Setting my Pre to wifi and using the Internal IP address I typed in http://192.xxx.etc/ampache-3.5.1 and my username/password and I connected NO PROBLEM!

So, I'm trying to do it remotely using my external IP.
    I typed in
    http://96.232.x.xx/ampache-3.2.1 and it does nothing... For some reason my internal IP is working when I connect with my PRE over wifi but me external IP is not...

I cannot for the life of me figure out if my port 80 is blocked or not. I am using an airport extreme wireless router and I was poking around in there and cannot figure it out.

Can somebody please! Help!!! I am so close......
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    I cannot for the life of me figure out if my port 80 is blocked or not. I am using an airport extreme wireless router and I was poking around in there and cannot figure it out.

In your router you need to set up a Forwarding Port for port 80.
    Is anyone familiary with Airport Extreme?

There is nothing in the airport utility that has anything to do with port forwarding.
    Alright, I have been trying this for hours and I'm totally getting frustrated. I got everything set up on the pc's end of things.

Got ampache up and working...Can somebody please! Help!!! I am so close......
    1) Let's make sure it is not an Ampache issue. What happens when you type http://192.xxx.etc ... does "It works!" come up? (the default screen for Apache web server)

If so...what happens when you type http://96.232.x.xx/ampache-3.2.1 ?

If the "It works!" screen comes up, then it is not a router issue but a Ampache ACL issue. If it doesn't work, then most likely it's a router issue.

In any case, maybe the page over at PortForwarding will help you configure your router. Here is the link: PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall.

Look for "Apache".

Got ampache up and working.

Setting my Pre to wifi and using the Internal IP address I typed in http://192.xxx.etc/ampache-3.5.1 and my username/password and I connected NO PROBLEM!

So, I'm trying to do it remotely using my external IP.
    I typed in
    http://96.232.x.xx/ampache-3.2.1 and it does nothing... For some reason my internal IP is working when I connect with my PRE over wifi but me external IP is not...

i'm no expert at well anything but what happens if you remove the router completely? connect then. Assuming you can connect the computer directly to the modem. maybe that would give you a hint as to whether it's a router issue. Just a thought
    okay... on both my PRE (wifi-mode) and my LAPTOP, I type in the internal IP for the following URL

http://192.yadda yadda yadda/ampache-3.5.1

When I do this... Everything works. I get to the login screen.

NOW
    When I try and use the external IP address which I found on whatismyipaddress.com

Nothing works. Neither my laptop nor my Pre (EVDO mode) works. So, I'm guessing it has to be a router/modem issue.

Okay, so I am using Verizon DSL service and I think I just read from another site that it blocks port 80?

"In the suburbs of Philadelphia, Verizon does indeed block incoming tcp port 80 for its home DSL service. They will not block ports on their business DSL service (costs more). The end user agreement that Verizon requires subscribers to follow specifically says NO SERVERS."

THat same user says to Register a free dynamic dns account and do it that way... I am unfamiliar with doing this dynamic dns process. Can someone at least help me with this?

if any of you have aim, my name is vision of demons... It will be much quicker to just chat on aim and get this figure out. Thanks...
    Take a look at this post for some info on port forwarding.

Sorry...I use GTalk.
    I use gtalk as well. Would you mind chatting it up really quick on there?

theopusfuller @ gmail is my name on there.
    I love how I can easily login to ampache using ampache mobile everytime, and yet I can try everything possible on ampachpre and it has NEVER logged on... Lol. I get the fact that ampachpre doesn't like the leading http://, but aside from that, how difficult it is for a program to parse lordrhythm.com/ampache, ffs?? Lol... I guess I won't be comparing features of these progs, but hey, at least ONE ampache frontend works
    Quote Originally Posted by LordRhythm View Post
    I love how I can easily login to ampache using ampache mobile everytime, and yet I can try everything possible on ampachpre and it has NEVER logged on... Lol. I get the fact that ampachpre doesn't like the leading http://, but aside from that, how difficult it is for a program to parse lordrhythm.com/ampache, ffs?? Lol... I guess I won't be comparing features of these progs, but hey, at least ONE ampache frontend works
    hmm...I tried both ampachepre and Ampache Mobile a few months ago. I was able to get both to work, but I just preferred the way Ampache Mobile worked better.

Have you checked the log file on the Ampache Server? (You should ALWAYS check the log file...that's where we developers put messages to try to tell the user what's happening). There is a thread for ampachpre...have you posted over there and gotten any help?

I can understand your frustration. But as a software developer, I realize that a lot of things are easy to do, but they do take time. Like I really hate it when on a web page, they require you to put in your phone number iwithout dashes/(). In most programming languages, it's pretty easy to remove 'non-numbers' from a string. Humans are used to seeing dashes in phone numbers even if computers don't want to store them.

Give them some time, I am sure the may add a parser to remove the leading "http://" or at least add an error message to let you know you should do it yourself.

In the end, it's nice to have the option of 2 programs to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordRhythm View Post
    I love how I can easily login to ampache using ampache mobile everytime, and yet I can try everything possible on ampachpre and it has NEVER logged on... Lol. I get the fact that ampachpre doesn't like the leading [url]http://m.forums.precentral.net/ but aside from that, how difficult it is for a program to parse lordrhythm.com/ampache, ffs?? Lol... I guess I won't be comparing features of these progs, but hey, at least ONE ampache frontend works
    yes check the logs. I am curious about this as well. I tried to hit your server this morning and I can't get a proper error xml. I even changed the entire login process this morning and I can hit my friends and my own but not yours. If you have any replys be sure to post them to my thread.
    Last edited by fain; 10/20/2009 at 09:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Couple of requests if possible:
    - Random via Artist
    - Random all music
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    - Random via Artist
    - Random all music
    You can already do Random via Artist (if I understand you correctly):
    - login
    - pick "Artist"
    - Select the artist you want to listen to (i.e. Alan Parsons)
    - Select "All Songs" at top
    - Select "Shuffle All" at top

I am not sure you can do a "Random All music". But I sometimes pick "Genre" and then "Shuffle All".

Another cool trick is to create a lot different playlist on Ampache of Artist, Albums, or individual Songs and then play the PlayList on your Pre in "Shuffle All" mode on the Pre.

I have a "Greatest Hits" playlist that I use a lot. On Ampache, search for "Greatest" and "Best of" and add those songs to a new song list . I also have a "Christmas Music" playlist that we use a lot around the Holidays.

Something else which is kind of fun to do is to create "word" playlist. Search for all your songs that have the word "dog", or "Storm", or "Love", ... in the title and create a new playlist.
    Last edited by wilderf; 10/20/2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    - Random via Artist
    - Random all music
    I am planning to download the code and see how hard it would be to create 6 hot key buttons on the "Connect to Server" screen. You would be able to configure each button :
    - which account to connect to (I have 2 accts: one for WiFi and one for EVDO)
    - which album/playlist to play
    - play in order or "Shuffle All" mode

This would be great for me. I listen to a lot of songs in the car. I would love to be able to just hit "Ampache Mobile", then "Button 2" to start music for most of my trips in the car.

Once I figure it out, maybe I can suggest the fix.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    You can already do Random via Artist (if I understand you correctly):
    - login
    - pick "Artist"
    - Select the artist you want to listen to (i.e. Alan Parsons)
    - Select "All Songs" at top
    - Select "Shuffle All" at top

I am not sure you can do a "Random All music". But I sometimes pick "Genre" and then "Shuffle All".

Another cool trick is to create a lot different playlist on Ampache of Artist, Albums, or individual Songs and then play the PlayList on your Pre in "Shuffle All" mode on the Pre.

I have a "Greatest Hits" playlist that I use a lot. I also have a "Christmas Music" playlist that we use a lot around the Holidays.
    Currently I have playlists created for each album only. Since in Ampache you can already shuffle play the whole album these playlists are fairly useless. Was thinking of re-creating playlists that include all the albums for each artists.

Thanks for the tip.