View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 23 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I just checked and there are more people who cannot get Ampache running than can.

If you are one of those people that cannot get the Ampache server running on your Windows/Linux/OSX box...what kind of problems are you having?
    Last edited by wilderf; 09/30/2009 at 04:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    I just checked and there are more people who cannot get Ampache running then can.

If you are one of those people that cannot get the Ampache server running on your Windows/Linux/OSX box...what kind of problems are you having?
    I agree... if your having problems let some of us know... I'm always willing to help and so are many others.
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Do you have any songs with asian characters in the tags?
    Yes, why?
  4.    #444  
    Quote Originally Posted by kelim View Post
    Yes, why?
    Those characters are unicode and WebOS only works with utf-8.

There is a bug in Ampache that sends down unicode characters and tells me that they are utf-8 which causes WebOS to break while trying to decode the responses from your server. Basically you need to take them out for ampache mobile to work until it gets fixed in ampache.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    I have no idea on the bluetooth. I have nothing that does A2DP to test it with .
    DealExtreme: $12.99 Bluetooth 2.0 A2DP AVRCP Stereo Music Receiver and Handsfree (Black)

Let me know where to ship it to and I'll spring for one.
    I was able to get ampache running on Vista using XAMMP. But I cannot access ampache on my LAN on anything other then the PC it is install on.

I know my FIOS blocks port 80 and I have changed the default port to 8080 and turned on port forwarding in the router. I have a NAS setup and I can access that from the LAN and from an external IP.

Not sure what else I need to do.
    OMG......Just figured it out. It was the windows firewall blocking me.
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    does your music directory have the correct permissions recursivly?

I usually
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 /pathto/music
    I have done this. Still, it only finds a fraction (like 300 songs out of 2500) of my music. It's pretty random at what it picks up and what it doesn't...so I don't know.
    Update: So, I turned on detailed logging, and found that it was getting "stuck" at a particular folder of songs...these songs had long titles and no ID3 tags (and using Picard for tagging yielded Japanese album info...because of course, the album is Japanese)

I decided just to delete the album, since I don't even listen to it anymore...and then the cataloging recognized all other songs.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Sorry if these have been mentioned, but I checked your "Future Plans" List and didn't see these:

- Notification Area controls (back, pause/play, next) and info (artist/title)

- Persistent Playing: Moving away from the "now playing" window currently stops music, it would be nice if we could build playlists or search or whatever while music continues.

- Unicode fix: I believe I saw you say that it was on the server-side, but there should be a way of checking the data for unicode before you handle it and just stripping it out before actually using the data: I'd rather see "El ni?o" than have my app crash

This is an AMAZING app once you get everything setup on your computer. Thank you SOOOO much for it.
  11.    #451  
    Quote Originally Posted by flare576 View Post
    Sorry if these have been mentioned, but I checked your "Future Plans" List and didn't see these:

- Notification Area controls (back, pause/play, next) and info (artist/title)

- Persistent Playing: Moving away from the "now playing" window currently stops music, it would be nice if we could build playlists or search or whatever while music continues.

- Unicode fix: I believe I saw you say that it was on the server-side, but there should be a way of checking the data for unicode before you handle it and just stripping it out before actually using the data: I'd rather see "El ni?o" than have my app crash

This is an AMAZING app once you get everything setup on your computer. Thank you SOOOO much for it.
    Everything you listed is on my todo list.

One note on the unicode. Looks like it is actually a WebOS bug . So it will be a bit more difficult to fix.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Yeah, Ampache is pretty crappy about handling weird chars. Ampache comes with a script to strip out weird stuff before you add, at least on linux, although I'm not sure how well it works.

Speaking of weird characters, I had an issue where Ampache Mobile choked on something in the tags of a Dream Theater album I had, something that Ampache had no problem with. Unfortunately, I had no idea what it was as I just resaved the tags exactly how they looked on my screen and it was fixed.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    QUOTE From bjgeiser on page 6:
    Have you downloaded and installed ampache as well?

First step would be to test your server on your mac http://localhost/ampache this will only work from your mac.

Once you are satisfied that is working. Put your pre on WiFi (if its on the same wifi as your mac) then enter the IP address of your mac in ampache mobile http://192.168.x.x/ampache (this will only work on wifi)

If you've got that far you then need to setup port forwarding in your router. You are likely going to forward port 80 to the IP address of your mac (could be different if you configured it so). Than figure out your external IP address. What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more. In ampache mobile change your url to http://<external_ip>/ampache

Lastly but not required. Many times Cable Modems and DSL change their IP address every so often. You can setup Dynamic DNS for this.

I am gonna have to do a write up i think.

Is all you need to know if you're remotely (at the most basic level that google can teach you) competent with computers, html, servers.

I read every post from page 1 to 6, and that was all I needed. THis quote is important becase it tells you a few things not listed clearly anywhere else, but the biggest help to me was to enter your IP address
    XXX.XX.X.XXX/ampache
    That was my missing link.
    ANd after that I realized I needed to create a User account & password within the ampache server. I never even tried the Wi-Fi. I went straight for the big guns with EVDO to really test this baby out. I added a catalog of my entire music library on a 1TB NAS (~18,000 files), and tested out a song and BAM!

NICE!! I never knew anything like Ampache existed, and being 1 week new to the Pre, AmpachePre is amazing!!!!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by tedbone; 10/02/2009 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by elryon View Post
    I agree... if your having problems let some of us know... I'm always willing to help and so are many others.
    I have ampache installed (following Fain's instructions - THANK YOU) everything seems to be ok on that side of the house (have uploaded music etc.,). I can't attach with my Pre - just get the spinning circle for EVER! I think my problem is the port (either firewall or router) which I don't know how to open. I haven't figured out how to try to access from another computer. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm not afraid of trying these things with good directions - I'm not much of a 'fiddler' with computers. This does not appear to be an easy process for the majority of Pre owners who just want a few xtra bells and whistles and are used to the click and go type of app.

Mel
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swtmelrose View Post
    I have ampache installed (following Fain's instructions - THANK YOU) everything seems to be ok on that side of the house (have uploaded music etc.,). I can't attach with my Pre - just get the spinning circle for EVER! I think my problem is the port (either firewall or router) which I don't know how to open. I haven't figured out how to try to access from another computer. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm not afraid of trying these things with good directions - I'm not much of a 'fiddler' with computers. This does not appear to be an easy process for the majority of Pre owners who just want a few xtra bells and whistles and are used to the click and go type of app.

Mel
    ok, try finding your ip... whatsmyip.com and using that xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ampache (or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ampache-3.5.1 if you didn't change the folder)
    if that doesn't work try PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall there are instructions there on how to set up port forwarding for almost any router.
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
    Suggestion: Shuffle option at top level menu to randomly play from all songs.

my apologies if this has already been covered, i just started using the app and havent had a chance to read thru the whole thread.
    No luck - tried to open port on router and I couldn't access internet - had to disable it.
    Honestly, installing a web server on your PC is not something most people should be attempting. Hence the 50% failure rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    Honestly, installing a web server on your PC is not something most people should be attempting. Hence the 50% failure rate.
    I agree - I'm totally lost, totally frustrated, and I'm giving up.
    Simply amazing...thanks for the work!

Got it working in my private network after some frustration...the windows firewall was the issue.

Hopefully the Sprint EVDO network will be able to handle the stream! I'll be testing it out in a few during my Friday night beer run.