View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 22 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Yesterday I installed Ampache and today I updated to the latest versions of WebOS and Ampache Mobile. It seems OK, although it is unable to load one of my playlists. It has about 90 songs in it, and the app will just sit there "Retrieving Songs" forever. I have another playlist with just as many songs that loads in a second. If it helps, a lot of the files show up as 'c:\\directory\\otherdirectory\\file.mp3' because I'm on Windows.

I'll PM you a guest account on my server, if you feel like checking it out.

Edit: I looked at the Apache logs and found the RPC requests it was sending to my server. They look good. Pasting the same request into a browser I get a valid XML file that looks like this:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <root>
    <song id="7157">
    	<title><![CDATA[Hell Hounds]]></title>
    	<artist id="1514"><![CDATA[Lord Jazz]]></artist>
    	<album id="0"><![CDATA[]]></album>
    	<genre id=""><![CDATA[]]></genre>
    	<track>0</track>
    	<time>299</time>
    	<mime>audio/mpeg</mime>
    	<url><![CDATA[ (valid URL here - pasted it into Firefox and got the MP3) ]]></url>
    	<size>5604311</size>
    	<art><![CDATA[ (valid URL here - pasted it into Firefox and got the album cover) ]]></art>
    	<preciserating></preciserating>
    	<rating></rating>
    </song>

And so forth...
    One thing I noticed is that the playlist has only files from the 2nd catalog I added. Ampache Mobile CANNOT search for or download any of the files in the 2nd catalog. I tried it; searching for any artist or file in the 2nd catalog will just hang forever. The 1st catalog I added works just fine. BUT, as I discovered from copying and pasting Ampache Mobile's RPC requests into Firefox, Ampache IS returning valid search results and it IS allowing clients to download the music over RPC.

Yet, I see no reference to what catalog the song lives in. The only thing I can see in the search results is that the songs have very high IDs (over 7,000.) Could that be tripping up the code that limits # of results?
    Last edited by IOCTL; 09/29/2009 at 01:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I got everything set up tonight, and got to where I could
    stream albums and playlists, but something puzzles me.
    I can search for individual song titles but can't stream
    a specific song. Say I search through my big playlist with 600 songs
    for Heavy Metal by Sammy Hagar. There it is.. I click on it,
    and it starts at song 1 of 600 in the big playlist. Totally pointless.

This is also a problem because I have many mp3s I've ripped over the
    years where the id3 info is missing or corrupted but all the info is
    in the file name. When I search for anything with missing ID3 artist
    info, it all ends up in the same huge list of random mp3s with missing
    artist names, and I can only start playing at the start of the list,
    rather than at the track I want.

Is this a limitation of Ampache server or some quirk of Ampache Mobile?

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I can search for individual song titles but can't stream a specific song. Say I search through my big playlist with 600 songs
    for Heavy Metal by Sammy Hagar. There it is.. I click on it, and it starts at song 1 of 600 in the big playlist. Totally pointless.
    Yeah, what it does is it brings up the result OK... and if you are quick enough to tap it, it plays... but after maybe half a second it renders a list with zillions of MP3s that don't appear to match the search criteria.

(You have good taste in music BTW)
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip, but it appears to only work when doing a global search from the top level.

What I'm seeing, I think is a bug and it goes like this.
    I open a playlist with 600 songs in it.
    I then simply type the word "heavy" and it immediately narrows the list down to 3 tracks.
    I click the first track in the short list, and it starts playing song 1 of 600 in the full playlist.
    I click the second track in the short list, and it starts playing song 2 of 600..
    see the pattern?
    Pretty sure that's a bug.

I have extremely eclectic taste in music, which is why this glitch
    is particularly painful.

ian
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Shoot. I wonder if they are aware of the issue?
    I've wondered the same thing. I'm told they are fairly responsive to issues pointed out in the developer forums. I've meant to try to put together a very simple test case app and post it over there, but I've been lacking the free time unfortunately.
  6.    #426  
    Quote Originally Posted by IOCTL View Post
    Yesterday I installed Ampache and today I updated to the latest versions of WebOS and Ampache Mobile. It seems OK, although it is unable to load one of my playlists. It has about 90 songs in it, and the app will just sit there "Retrieving Songs" forever. I have another playlist with just as many songs that loads in a second. If it helps, a lot of the files show up as 'c:\\directory\\otherdirectory\\file.mp3' because I'm on Windows.

I'll PM you a guest account on my server, if you feel like checking it out.

Edit: I looked at the Apache logs and found the RPC requests it was sending to my server. They look good. Pasting the same request into a browser I get a valid XML file that looks like this:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <root>
    <song id="7157">
    	<title><![CDATA[Hell Hounds]]></title>
    	<artist id="1514"><![CDATA[Lord Jazz]]></artist>
    	<genre id=""><![CDATA[]]></genre>
    	<track>0</track>
    	<time>299</time>
    	<mime>audio/mpeg</mime>
    	<url><![CDATA[ (valid URL here - pasted it into Firefox and got the MP3) ]]></url>
    	<size>5604311</size>
    	<art><![CDATA[ (valid URL here - pasted it into Firefox and got the album cover) ]]></art>
    	<preciserating></preciserating>
    	<rating></rating>
    </song>

And so forth...
    One thing I noticed is that the playlist has only files from the 2nd catalog I added. Ampache Mobile CANNOT search for or download any of the files in the 2nd catalog. I tried it; searching for any artist or file in the 2nd catalog will just hang forever. The 1st catalog I added works just fine. BUT, as I discovered from copying and pasting Ampache Mobile's RPC requests into Firefox, Ampache IS returning valid search results and it IS allowing clients to download the music over RPC.

Yet, I see no reference to what catalog the song lives in. The only thing I can see in the search results is that the songs have very high IDs (over 7,000.) Could that be tripping up the code that limits # of results?
    I think the issue is that you have no Album name data
    Code:
    Currently my code doesn't handle this very well. There is already a bug filed for this, just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, as most ppl haven't had problems with this.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  7.    #427  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbritton View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. I'm told they are fairly responsive to issues pointed out in the developer forums. I've meant to try to put together a very simple test case app and post it over there, but I've been lacking the free time unfortunately.
    Ya.. I use the same streaming techniques as palm. So if you can reproduce it with their streaming app and file a bug, then Ampache Mobile will benefit from the fix.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
  8.    #428  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Thanks for the tip, but it appears to only work when doing a global search from the top level.

What I'm seeing, I think is a bug and it goes like this.
    I open a playlist with 600 songs in it.
    I then simply type the word "heavy" and it immediately narrows the list down to 3 tracks.
    I click the first track in the short list, and it starts playing song 1 of 600 in the full playlist.
    I click the second track in the short list, and it starts playing song 2 of 600..
    see the pattern?
    Pretty sure that's a bug.

I have extremely eclectic taste in music, which is why this glitch
    is particularly painful.

ian
    I know exactly why this is happening. Currently I push all the songs in a songs list to the now playing screen no matter if you filtered them or not. I'll see if i can get just the filtered songs to go over.

As for it playing the first song out of 600. I am pretty sure I know why that is happening as well.

Edit: Fixed will be in next version. For now make smaller playlists
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 09/29/2009 at 09:29 AM.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Ya.. I use the same streaming techniques as palm. So if you can reproduce it with their streaming app and file a bug, then Ampache Mobile will benefit from the fix.
    Curious. It's not quite the same with the builtin streaming app. My test had me just enter an http url to an mp3 file and watching traffic on that server. Browser switches to the audio app and it starts streaming the file. Pause audio, file continues to buffer until the end. Traffic stops. Wait for the Pre to sleep and there's a brief burst of traffic, but not the continuous traffic I see with Ampache Mobile. I wake the Pre and it's got an error dialog stating "There was an error playing this file." At this point, there's a ton of traffic on the webserver until I click away the dialog box. I'll try to get something a little more detailed before I try filing a bug report on the Palm forums.
    I think the issue is that you have no Album name data
    Code:
    Currently my code doesn't handle this very well. There is already a bug filed for this, just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, as most ppl haven't had problems with this.
    You're right. I added a fake album name to a couple songs in that catalog and voila, they showed up. The catalog has music that's released one at a time by many artists for free, so that is why there is no album name.

Thanks for looking into it
    Is anyone else seeing this issue?

On the way into and back home from work, almost every song had at least 1 or more "digital skips".

It could just be happening to me...I updated to both WebOS 1.2 and Ampache Pre last night/this morning. It could be my home network was acting up (but doesn't Ampache Pre play from a buffer?), or Sprint's network or something else.

I checked the logs on my Ampache Server and I don't see anything that looks like it's a problem.
  12.    #432  
    Quote Originally Posted by IOCTL View Post
    You're right. I added a fake album name to a couple songs in that catalog and voila, they showed up. The catalog has music that's released one at a time by many artists for free, so that is why there is no album name.

Thanks for looking into it
    I'll see what I can do about fixing it up. WebOS seems to not work the same way as WebKit when it comes to empty data in XML.

13.    #433  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post

On the way into and back home from work, almost every song had at least 1 or more "digital skips".

It could just be happening to me...I updated to both WebOS 1.2 and Ampache Pre last night/this morning. It could be my home network was acting up (but doesn't Ampache Pre play from a buffer?), or Sprint's network or something else.

I checked the logs on my Ampache Server and I don't see anything that looks like it's a problem.
    I haven't noticed anything.

Update to my previous (whenever it was posted): as soon as my university OK'd my port 80 request, I was able to connect to my LAMP.

I think I have a problem getting Ampache to detect all of my music (it only detects a fraction of my collection, and I'll have to troubleshoot), but fortunately, this is NOT a problem with Ampache Mobile.

Great app!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post

by any chance are you streaming over bluetooth? I have noticed bluetooth chop and such. I use a direct connection in my car, bluetooth is not as good for music imo.
    I was having some problems with the app myself as well today. I use it over bluetooth.

The new version was giving me some issues with playback, I had to keep backing out of a song - then re entering it to restart the stream. Also, this may have nothing to do with your app, the Pre may just have bluetooth issues, but the pause/ff/rw bluetooth commands seem to have some issues. If I pause a stream, then wait a given amount of time, then hit play again - the stream will not restart. I.e. waiting too long seems to be the culprit.

I've also found that if you play/pause one particular song too often it will stop responding to bluetooth play commands.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hi. I thought I'd just gotten this working, but now when I go to browser artists or album from my Pre, Ampache Mobile says something about songs containing unicode or something? What do I do?
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    Update to my previous (whenever it was posted): as soon as my university OK'd my port 80 request, I was able to connect to my LAMP.

I think I have a problem getting Ampache to detect all of my music (it only detects a fraction of my collection, and I'll have to troubleshoot), but fortunately, this is NOT a problem with Ampache Mobile.

Great app!
    does your music directory have the correct permissions recursivly?

I usually
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 /pathto/music
  19.    #439  
    Quote Originally Posted by kelim View Post
    Hi. I thought I'd just gotten this working, but now when I go to browser artists or album from my Pre, Ampache Mobile says something about songs containing unicode or something? What do I do?
    Do you have any songs with asian characters in the tags?

20.    #440  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    I was having some problems with the app myself as well today. I use it over bluetooth.

The new version was giving me some issues with playback, I had to keep backing out of a song - then re entering it to restart the stream. Also, this may have nothing to do with your app, the Pre may just have bluetooth issues, but the pause/ff/rw bluetooth commands seem to have some issues. If I pause a stream, then wait a given amount of time, then hit play again - the stream will not restart. I.e. waiting too long seems to be the culprit.

I've also found that if you play/pause one particular song too often it will stop responding to bluetooth play commands.
    I have no idea on the bluetooth. I have nothing that does A2DP to test it with . Also palm did a lot of changes around bluetooth with WebOS 1.2 so the app could require an update. I should say I am talking about the bluetooth controls. No WebOS app has any control over audio quality.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 09/30/2009 at 11:25 AM.