View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    I see the bug where cover art does not show on the now playing scene but does show in album list is still unresolved. Any progress on this?
    What version of Ampache are you running?
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    What version of Ampache are you running?
    Ampache 3.5.1
  3.    #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    Ampache 3.5.1
    If the art isn't displaying I think its probably something strange on your server. I could take a look if you like.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I must say, this is app is pretty much exactly what I'd hoped for. Great work! I just deleted all the music I had stored on my Pre.

I love how you can just begin to type in an artist and all their albums show up. It's great for me cause I usually listen to my music by album.
    But sometimes I want to listen to everything on shuffle and stumble upon music I'd forgotten about. Is a Shuffle All function there? Am I missing it?
  5.    #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    I must say, this is app is pretty much exactly what I'd hoped for. Great work! I just deleted all the music I had stored on my Pre.

I love how you can just begin to type in an artist and all their albums show up. It's great for me cause I usually listen to my music by album.
    But sometimes I want to listen to everything on shuffle and stumble upon music I'd forgotten about. Is a Shuffle All function there? Am I missing it?
    Nope didn't miss anything. There isn't a shuffle all songs options yet, its kinda hard to do because it requires me to pull down all your songs. From my server (about 12K songs), this makes the app crash . I have some ideas on how to do it, but it all takes time. Look for it in a coming version because its something I would use as well.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 09/14/2009 at 12:40 AM.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Nope didn't miss anything. There isn't a shuffle all songs options yet, its kinda hard to do because it requires me to pull down all your songs. From my server (about 12K songs), this makes the app crash . I have some ideas on how to do it, but it all takes time. Look for it in a coming version because its something I would use as well.
    Can you pull down song counts for an artist? If so, you could pick a random artist, weighted by how many songs each one has, pick a random album from that artist. again weighted by song counts and then pick a random song. If you keep a running playlist of songs played, you could check against that for repeats.

At home I use the "albums of the moment" thing for a similar purpose, my collection is almost completely album-centric so a straight random album pick is good enough for me.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    More thoughts:
    If only the battery life when streaming was better! I'll be below 40% battery by noon, after beginning with a full charge at 9am.

Each song seems to have to load individually before playing, in my case sometimes creating several seconds of silence as the data is pulled from the server.
    I'm not sure of the capabilities of Ampache, but I envision a solution could be loading the album you clicked on into a queue then downloading all the songs from there into memory as it plays. Maybe that would cut down on power usage too, due to not having to keep reconnecting to the server to request data?

- My (probably naive) 0.02c
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Each song seems to have to load individually before playing, in my case sometimes creating several seconds of silence as the data is pulled from the server.
    I'm not sure of the capabilities of Ampache, but I envision a solution could be loading the album you clicked on into a queue then downloading all the songs from there into memory as it plays. Maybe that would cut down on power usage too, due to not having to keep reconnecting to the server to request data?

- My (probably naive) 0.02c
    I'm pretty sure he's working on this.
  9.    #309  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's working on this.
    Yep. If its memory precaching it will likely only cache one song ahead. If its flash based caching then maybe like 5-10 songs. Haven't completely ironed out what i am gonna do yet.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about diving into this app and trying to set up the Ampache server for my collection. My question is this though, my music mp3 catalog is nearly 5000 CDs filling about 450gb. Assuming I get everything set up properly, if I open this app on the pre, is it going to be a loooonngg load time everytime as it scans the catalog or loads the database info for such a large collection? How will that work? TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    I'm thinking about diving into this app and trying to set up the Ampache server for my collection. My question is this though, my music mp3 catalog is nearly 5000 CDs filling about 450gb. Assuming I get everything set up properly, if I open this app on the pre, is it going to be a loooonngg load time everytime as it scans the catalog or loads the database info for such a large collection? How will that work? TIA
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK ($anybody$ $who$ $knows$ $better$ $please$ $correct$ $me$ $if$ $I$'$m$ $wrong$), $the$ $Ampache$ $XML$ $api$ $will$ $return$ $a$ $maximum$ $of$ $5000$ $items$ $for$ $any$ $given$ $query$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $how$ $Ampache$ $Mobile$ $handles$ $this$ $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $I$'$d$ $worry$ $about$ $it$ $too$ $much$.
  12.    #312  
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK ($anybody$ $who$ $knows$ $better$ $please$ $correct$ $me$ $if$ $I$'$m$ $wrong$), $the$ $Ampache$ $XML$ $api$ $will$ $return$ $a$ $maximum$ $of$ $5000$ $items$ $for$ $any$ $given$ $query$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $how$ $Ampache$ $Mobile$ $handles$ $this$ $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $I$'$d$ $worry$ $about$ $it$ $too$ $much$.
    I grab a few hundred items at a time until i get them all. This is so the UI remains responsive during loading and because of the 5000K limit. Thinking about making the number configurable. I like having the UI somewhat usable while loading.

13.    #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    I think other users have been using similarly sized libraries, czarphanguye is using 400GB. If performance is an issue them maybe choose 1000 of your favorite albums to serve up, until I can get some caching implemented.

Yep. If its memory precaching it will likely only cache one song ahead. If its flash based caching then maybe like 5-10 songs. Haven't completely ironed out what i am gonna do yet.
    Maybe you could do both: cache the next song into memory and if you finish loading that song before it starts playing, stick it on disk and start caching the next song to memory.

That way you'd only have a maximum of two songs in memory at a given time yet you'd be able to load up to whatever maximum you set on disk.
  15.    #315  
    Maybe you could do both: cache the next song into memory and if you finish loading that song before it starts playing, stick it on disk and start caching the next song to memory.

That way you'd only have a maximum of two songs in memory at a given time yet you'd be able to load up to whatever maximum you set on disk.
    Not sure this is technically possible, saving a song in memory to the disk. There is basically no documentation around the audio streaming functionality in WebOS, hopefully it gets better.

Well, this took forever for me to figure out, but it works a like a champ. I couldn't log in via wifi nor EVDO, but when I typed the url in the web browser, ampache was showing up. Finally figured out that for the url, I have to type in the URL for the AMPACHEpre app:

WiFi @ Home:

http://192.168.x.xxx/ampache-3.5.1/ampache-3.51/

EVDO @ anywhere:

http://xx.x.xx.xxx/ampache-3.5.1/ampache-3.5.1

For some reason, the website shows as repeating 'ampache-3.5.1'

I entered that and it worked great. Great app, hope this helps some people that are feeling frustrated! I know I was.
    Not sure this is technically possible, saving a song in memory to the disk. There is basically no documentation around the audio streaming functionality in WebOS, hopefully it gets better.
    Yeah, I'm not really up to speed on the WebOS stuff. I just picked up the O'Reilly book, I hope to be able to contribute to this project in a non-trivial fashion at some point.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I was just about to post that the one feature that Ampache needs to be perfect is some caching so there isn't a delay between songs. Since I see that it's already in the works, I'll just cheer you on.

Personally, a single song pre-cache is enough for me. I just need it grabbing the next song before the first one finishes so there isn't a 10+ second delay between songs. That is my one and only gripe about Ampache Mobile. Awesome program and well worth the time and effort of setting up Ampache server.
    Does anyone want to increase the number of songs you can access using Ampache Mobile? I do.

I was thinking of trying out the "Ampache Remote Catalogs" feature of Ampache.

See config:xmlrpc [Ampache :: Wiki]

Let me know via a personal message if you are interested...

F
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Just discovered the background changing feature in this app. It is very nice to be able to change the background at all. The feature is set up similarly to the background changing option in WebOS, except for one difference - if the picture is bigger than the screen can display, it only works on the top left corner of the picture. In the WebOS feature you can essentially snapshot the background from anywhere in the larger picture.
    Not a big deal at all for me though, just a thought for when you're polishing it all up