View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 15 of 88 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Another interesting item...

I left the "Connection Test - Error: Empty Response" window up for a while on the Pre (i.e. I didn't hit the "OK" button to close that window).

The pre continued to ping the Apache server once about every 30 seconds.

It continued to ping it every 30 seconds even on the "preferences-account_editor menu" screen.

Is this a bug? (i.e. to keep pinging even after an unsuccessful login attempt?)
  2.    #282  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    Yes...it says:

Code:
    Connection Test
    Error: Empty Response
    Phone not connecting to Ampache
    Hmmm... very interesting. That error happens if I don't get any data back from the server. You say it works if your enter you public (internet) IP address? What are your ACL rules?
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 09/14/2009 at 01:32 AM.
  3.    #283  
    Another interesting item...

I left the "Connection Test - Error: Empty Response" window up for a while on the Pre (i.e. I didn't hit the "OK" button to close that window).

The pre continued to ping the Apache server once about every 30 seconds.

It continued to ping it every 30 seconds even on the "preferences-account_editor menu" screen.

Is this a bug? (i.e. to keep pinging even after an unsuccessful login attempt?)
    Likely a bug. I'll look into it.
    After reading this thread, it looks like a lot of people can access the Ampache Server from their home network, but are having trouble accessing their Ampache server from the Internet.

Other people have the problem where their ISP is blocking port 80.

I think the solution in most cases is port forwarding ("virtual server" is another name for port forwarding used by some routers).

What is port forwarding?
    (from wikipedia) Port forwarding allows remote computers (e.g. public machines on the Internet) to connect to a specific computer within a private LAN.

How I setup port forwarding on my network
    -----------------------------------------
    My Ampache server has an IP address of 192.168.1.203 and it is listening on port 80. By default, my Ampache server cannot be seen from the Internet.

My ISP has assigned the address 70.44.191.137 to the "public" side on my router. My ISP blocks port 80. To get around this, I am going to use port 8080 on the "public" side of my router.

I set up a port forwarding rule on my router to forward all request to 70.44.191.137:8080 to 192.168.1.203:80. So when ever my router sees data on port 8080, it automatically forwards it to port 80 my Ampache server.

How to set up Amache Mobile
    ------------------------------
    On my Pre I have two accounts: one for when I am at home on my wifi network and one for when I am away from home using the Internet.

At home I use http://192.168.1.203 as the address in Ampache Mobile.

(note: because the address starts with "http://", the http://192.168.1.203 is the same thing as http://192.168.1.203:80 ... all http request are directed at port 80)

On the Internet, I use the address http://70.44.191.137:8080 as the address for Ampache Mobile.

If you need help adding a forwarding rule to your router, check out the web site PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall. Look for options on how to set up the Apache Web Server.

To learn more about ports and port forwarding, you may want to check out Episode #43 at Steve Gibson's excellent Security Now podcast.

One other hint: Remember that Ampache runs on top of the Apache/XAMMP server. Try to get port forwarding working with just Apache/XAMMP first ( try http://[public IP address] ... you should see "It works" or the XAMMP info page). Once you get that working then you can try http://[public IP address]/ampache and playing with the ampache ACLs.

Hopefully this will help a few people.
    Last edited by wilderf; 10/21/2009 at 07:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Hmmm... very interesting. That error happens if I don't get any data back from the server. You say it works if you enter you public (internet) IP address? What are your ACL rules?
    Yes, http://70.44.191.137:8080 works. http://XXXX.dyndns.org:8080 does not work.

(note: 70.44.191.137 is not my router's real public address)

Code:
    Name	Start Address	End Address	Level	User	Key	Type	Action
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pre	173.100.0.0	175.100.255.255	Read/Write	All		API/RPC	  
    Pre	173.100.0.0	173.100.255.255	Read/Write	All		Stream Access	  

Home Network	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.255	Read/Write	All		Local Network Definition	  
    Home Network	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.255	Read/Write	All		Stream Access	  
    Home Network	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.255	Read/Write	All		Web Interface	  
    Home Network	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.255	Read/Write	All		API/RPC	  

Local	127.0.0.1	127.0.0.2	Read/Write	All		Local Network Definition	  
    Local	127.0.0.1	127.0.0.2	Read/Write	All		Stream Access	  
    Local	127.0.0.1	127.0.0.2	Read/Write	All		Web Interface
    I need to do more testing, but because I am doing port forwarding, I don't think I need any of the "pre" ACLs. When I look at the Ampache logs, all the request from the pre when using EVDO show up with the "private" IP address of my router: 192.168.1.1.
    Last edited by wilderf; 09/11/2009 at 04:04 PM.
  6.    #286  
    Yes, http://70.44.191.137:8080 works. http://XXXX.dyndns.org:8080 does not work.

(note: 70.44.191.137 is not my router's real public address)

Code:
    Name	Start Address	End Address	Level	User	Key	Type	Action
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pre	173.100.0.0	175.100.255.255	Read/Write	All		API/RPC	  
    Pre	173.100.0.0	173.100.255.255	Read/Write	All		Stream Access	  

Home Network	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.255	Read/Write	All		Local Network Definition	  
    Home Network	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.255	Read/Write	All		Stream Access	  
    Home Network	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.255	Read/Write	All		Web Interface	  
    Home Network	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.255	Read/Write	All		API/RPC	  

Local	127.0.0.1	127.0.0.2	Read/Write	All		Local Network Definition	  
    Local	127.0.0.1	127.0.0.2	Read/Write	All		Stream Access	  
    Local	127.0.0.1	127.0.0.2	Read/Write	All		Web Interface
    I need to do more testing, but because I am doing port forwarding, I don't think I need any of the "pre" ACLs. When I look at the Ampache logs, all the request from the pre when using EVDO show up with the "private" IP address of my router: 192.168.1.1.
    Crazy... Could be something with how the apache config (usually httpd.conf) is setup, but honestly I am not really sure. I use dyndns without a problem for my setup.

Also I would maybe try opening up the ACL rules to see if you can get it working and then tighten them down and see when it breaks. To Start I'd open RPC wide open (0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255) if that doesn't work then it has nothing to do with your rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
    Just out of curiosity which port are you using. I have confirmed that I can use the system remotely from any PC using the url listed, but I still cannot make contact with the server via the cell data connection and the webos client.

So close...
    sorry I have used 777 and 666. 666 is a port used by the doom virus I believe. I think its a trojen so I don't use it any more. I don't remember if 777 is used by anything but its easy to remember so I just use it. I have not had any problems out of it. I think all ports up to 1024 are reserved. ubut o well I use it anyways.
    Crazy... Could be something with how the apache config (usually httpd.conf) is setup, but honestly I am not really sure. I use dyndns without a problem for my setup.

Also I would maybe try opening up the ACL rules to see if you can get it working and then tighten them down and see when it breaks. To Start I'd open RPC wide open (0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255) if that doesn't work then it has nothing to do with your rules.
    Opening up the ACL rules fixed the problem (i.e. 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255). This seems to be an Ampache ACL issue???

I will play later with restricting them back to try to find out why. (maybe need to have an ACL rule just for dyndns.org)

Thanks for all your help and for the great product.
    Would it be possible to make the "Enable more cover art" option server specific? I've got two servers setup: one for at home, on wifi with an internal ip and one for the road over EVDO. It would be nice to get all the extra cover art on just the wifi connection.

I've been playing around with my Ampache server in a full browser and I've come to like the "Albums of the Moment" that come up when you login. Something like that would be nice on the mobile version as well.
  10.    #290  
    Version 0.0.4 (Beta) (09/13/2009)
    NOTE: Needed to change name (com.ampache.ampachemobile to com.palm.ampachemobile) to get headphone events to work, this will allow you to have v0.0.3 and v0.0.4 installed at the same time. Just go ahead and delete your older version.
    • Feature Add: Background Selector
    • Feature Add: Pause on Headphone Removal.
    • Feature Add: Stream Debug Mode
    • Feature Add: Now Playing Gestures
      • Left-to-Right: Previous Track (Quick Flick)
      • Right-to-Left: Next Track (Quick Flick)
      • Double Tap: Play/Pause
    • Improvement: Icons in Main Menu
    • Improvement: New Icon (It's better but I am still not loving it)
    • Improvement: Now Playing Scrolling Turned off.
    • Improvement: Preferences Menu clean up.
    • Bug Fix: Stopped run away timer in the AudioPlayer (should improve battery life)
    • Bug Fix: Accidentally released with log level cranked to max (not sure what the Pre does with this). Turned it down, likely will improve performance.
    • Bug Fix: Fixed issue with "The " in artist list. Caused extra dividers to be displayed.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 09/13/2009 at 03:50 PM.
  11.    #291  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    Would it be possible to make the "Enable more cover art" option server specific? I've got two servers setup: one for at home, on wifi with an internal ip and one for the road over EVDO. It would be nice to get all the extra cover art on just the wifi connection.
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea. WiFi vs EVDO is just one issue with this. I also am downloading full resolution coverart 500x500px usually and jamming it into 40x40px boxes, this really kills the browser.

Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    I've been playing around with my Ampache server in a full browser and I've come to like the "Albums of the Moment" that come up when you login. Something like that would be nice on the mobile version as well.
    That might be a bit tricky as there isn't really an interface for me to get information like that.
    I'm surprised there isn't an easier way to set up the ampache server. I used Xampp and it's been one huge PITA after another. Nothing about the process is straight-forward, and I'm a friggin unix syadmin. Open-source stuff that doesn't have proper installers for Windows should be banned
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Version 0.0.4 (Beta) (09/13/2009)
    NOTE: Needed to change name (com.ampache.ampachemobile to com.palm.ampachemobile) to get headphone events to work, this will allow you to have v0.0.3 and v0.0.4 installed at the same time. Just go ahead and delete your older version.
    • Feature Add: Background Selector
    • Feature Add: Pause on Headphone Removal.
    • Feature Add: Stream Debug Mode
    • Feature Add: Now Playing Gestures
      • Left-to-Right: Previous Track (Quick Flick)
      • Right-to-Left: Next Track (Quick Flick)
      • Double Tap: Play/Pause
    • Improvement: Icons in Main Menu
    • Improvement: New Icon (It's better but I am still not loving it)
    • Improvement: Now Playing Scrolling Turned off.
    • Improvement: Preferences Menu clean up.
    • Bug Fix: Stopped run away timer in the AudioPlayer (should improve battery life)
    • Bug Fix: Accidentally released with log level cranked to max (not sure what the Pre does with this). Turned it down, likely will improve performance.
    • Bug Fix: Fixed issue with "The " in artist list. Caused extra dividers to be displayed.
    Awesome, new version is working great.

Thanks again for a great app!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Great update! thanks again for working so hard on this app and helping others on the forum.
    This is my most used 3rd party app on the pre.

I setup Ampache just for this app and I am not disapppointed! This UI is perfect. My Car Stereo supports Bluetooth and I own a pair of bluetooth headphones (Altec Backbeats 903) and love having my whole collection at my fingertips.

Any place I can donate to you to continue contributing?

And for everyone having problems, I had a ton trying to use what was in the repos for Ubuntu. When I finally just downloaded Ampache 3.5.1 it took 10 mins to get up and running. So I recommend that and not using 3.4.x.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Finally! Finally got it working on both wifi and EVDO!
    After struggling with that poorly written FAQ, learning where to find the right settings to set permissions in the mysql software, re-learning about port forwarding on both my router and new Clearwire modem, and a bunch of breaks for food and such, currently listening to music from my new server over the Sprint network. Inaugural Track: Billie Jean
    Now to add some more music.
    My tips for others, you may have to set up port forwarding on port 80 from your modem to your router first, then from your router to your server. Also, remember to disable the damn Windows Firewall
    Quote Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
    Finally! Finally got it working on both wifi and EVDO!
    After struggling with that poorly written FAQ, learning where to find the right settings to set permissions in the mysql software, re-learning about port forwarding on both my router and new Clearwire modem, and a bunch of breaks for food and such, currently listening to music from my new server over the Sprint network. Inaugural Track: Billie Jean
    Now to add some more music.
    My tips for others, you may have to set up port forwarding on port 80 from your modem to your router first, then from your router to your server. Also, remember to disable the damn Windows Firewall
    Is it better than using Orb, or the other dozen pieces of free software that work from a single installation package? I'm curious--if so, I might try again.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Is it better than using Orb, or the other dozen pieces of free software that work from a single installation package? I'm curious--if so, I might try again.
    Do any of those have a Pre app thats as nice as the one bjgeiser has created here?

I tried Orb, accessed through the web with the "mobile" skin but it was ugly, unintuitive and kept cutting out.

As soon as I get my music copied over I'll post more thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Yeah, go for it, it's really not that hard as long as you limit the false starts.

A suggestion: assume that your ISP blocks port 80, set it up on an alternate port. They may not, but at least that eliminates one of the possible pitfalls.

I setup my webserver in a virtual machine running Ubuntu. I think there are serious benefits to doing it that way and I recommend it to anyone getting started. It's probably a bit more secure, it's self-contained, I can snapshot the VM and shut it down and then start it up right where it left off.
    I see the bug where cover art does not show on the now playing scene but does show in album list is still unresolved. Any progress on this?