View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 13 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    My mistake. Can you throw a link for that?
    link about the data roaming not costing? I'm not really sure where it is... dont have time right now.. will search in the morning.. have g/f buggin me to go to bed...
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    The same song I can play while not roaming but as soon as i put it in Voice "Roam only" it will not play.

There is a option on the phone to alow data roaming which I have enabled and can stream the music.

But..

When I use the voice "roam only" tweak it will not stream any songs. But it will play with ampachePre.
    Whats the voice "roam only" tweak?
    Quote Originally Posted by elryon View Post
    link about the data roaming not costing? I'm not really sure where it is... dont have time right now.. will search in the morning.. have g/f buggin me to go to bed...
    Acording to what I read on these forums you can data roam and voice roaming without being charged with the unlimited data plan but do not go over 50% roaming. I don't know how much truth to that is but that is what I read.

I did call Sprint and they said yes you can enable data roaming without being charged but I never asked them how much and how long. I did not tell them that I put in a voice roam only tweak either. LOL
    Whats the voice "roam only" tweak?
    You can install voice a roam only tweak with WebOS Quick install to alow only Voice roaming. Perfect for the time you are in a area that the Sprint coverage sucks and you get bad reception and dropped calls etc. The phone will try its hardest to stay on Sprint's network but with this tweak it will force roam only.
    nope.. it just takes longer to connect...

yes you can use the internet while roaming, but you have to enable it in the settings, I believe the default is set to no. But on the bright side, if you have unlimited data, data roaming will not cost extra as far as i know. there have been post about it before and responses from sprint employees....

edit: oh and I was able to get a stream while in roam-only mode... it took a very long time to start as it was only a 1x connection....
    I have to check it out again because I could not get it to work. Maybe a reboot or reinstall the app might help me.
  6.    #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    I have to check it out again because I could not get it to work. Maybe a reboot or reinstall the app might help me.
    Sent you a PM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Thnx man! i will definitely give it a try!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    yes you can use the internet while roaming, but you have to enable it in the settings, I believe the default is set to no. But on the bright side, if you have unlimited data, data roaming will not cost extra as far as i know. there have been post about it before and responses from sprint employees....
    I believe this is true for domestic roaming, but international data roaming can be
    pricy and adds up quickly without you realizing it. A lot of people recently have been surprised by data roaming bills from short trips to Canada recently where their smart phones have been off scanning email constantly running up their roaming bills.

I believe this is why the Pre has that data roaming switch in there.
    I just finished my Ampache setup. Words can't describe how cool this is.

For anyone that's interested, I'm running Ampache on a Jaunty VM on XP with all of my music on a Windows share.
    works great! I'm on a ubuntu linux box, with a dsl modem/router but already have it bridged to an ATA/router.

so all I had to do was in ubuntu is use the PPA repository for the current build, use tasksel to easily install just about everything for the webserver.
    Code:
    apt-get update
    tasksel
    and then I went into Synaptic and installed everything recommended with the launchpad ampache.

followed the guides linked here and in the ampachepre thread and did a port forward in my ata/router for port 80 to go to my internal IP, and EVDO access was a go. LAN access is good too. I'm able to stream the full 256ABR mp3s with a 368k dsl upload. though I'll probably set up transcoding. hardest part for me is tagging and adding the catalogs, must be an easier way but I guess my collection is a bit rough. and yeah, without doing some other router settings, or more haven't tried, you won't be able to use your external IP or domain address from the same computer, or maybe even the LAN. probably just setup a hostname...

the web interface for ampache seems a little off for me in Firefox though. could be my server setup though, the playlist module in upper right corner isn't working correctly.

In Ampache Mobile I'm looking for a shuffle for all songs from everyone, or all albums of an artist?

do I need to do anything special to secure the web server, and/or ampache? have everything with a user account, but I only did what I saw in the guides. never set up a home server before. I'm guessing apache2 is installed pretty secure.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 09/04/2009 at 12:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    works great! I'm on a ubuntu linux box, with a dsl modem/router but already have it bridged to an ATA/router.

so all I had to do was in ubuntu is use the PPA repository for the current build, use tasksel to easily install just about everything for the webserver.
    Code:
    apt-get update
    tasksel
    and then I went into Synaptic and installed everything recommended with the launchpad ampache.

followed the guides linked here and in the ampachepre thread and did a port forward in my ata/router for port 80 to go to my internal IP, and EVDO access was a go. LAN access is good too. I'm able to stream the full 256ABR mp3s with a 368k dsl upload. though I'll probably set up transcoding. hardest part for me is tagging and adding the catalogs, must be an easier way but I guess my collection is a bit rough. and yeah, without doing some other router settings, or more haven't tried, you won't be able to use your external IP or domain address from the same computer, or maybe even the LAN. probably just setup a hostname...

the web interface for ampache seems a little off for me in Firefox though. could be my server setup though, the playlist module in upper right corner isn't working correctly.

In Ampache Mobile I'm looking for a shuffle for all songs from everyone, or all albums of an artist?

do I need to do anything special to secure the web server, and/or ampache? have everything with a user account, but I only did what I saw in the guides. never set up a home server before. I'm guessing apache2 is installed pretty secure.
    there's a couple things you could do to make it more secure.

First: make a user account with limited permissions. Only use this account to connect remotely. Never use your admin account unless you are in the private ip range.

Second: set up ssl and use it to connect remotely. Ampache mobile nor ampachpre support this yet but you could connect via another pc and do some admin remotely that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post

hardest part for me is tagging and adding the catalogs, must be an easier way but I guess my collection is a bit rough.
    yes it's a pain in the *** but I can say from experience it's well worth it. I've had to do it twice (hard drive died, lost lot of collection). But once you've done it (assuming you do it well) you won't likely have to change much regardless of the phone or mp3 player you buy. Oh and i'd advise you back them all up with hard copies or a spare drive once your done so you never have to do it again.
    Future Plans
    [LIST][*]Genre Browser
    seeing that this is on your list of future additions i wanted to make a request.

Could you make browsing by genre work like it does on an iphone or in itunes.

That is it sorts like this: Genre, artist, album, song.
    For example: You would click, Rap, Snoop Dogg, Doggystyle, "Gin N Juice"

NOT like the Pre music player does which is Genre, song. Where you'd click Rap, and just get 9000 rap songs.

The problem is with a large library if you just dump all the rock or rap or whatever songs into one list I'd get more then 9000 songs for most of my lists. It's completely unmanageable to browse. Not to mention, say once you get to a song, the next song played is normally the next song alphabetically on the song list of 9000 songs rather then the next song on the same album. I would guess there would be an added issue of load times as 9 or 10k song list may take a while to load. And scrolling thru 10k to get to a song that starts with "W" would suck.

I looked for some pics but couldn't find good ones. But you'll notice they do some nice things in the layout like put "All" at the top of the list of the pages that way if you want to just click through to songs you can just by tap tap tapping "all" all the way though. now i don't use it but it's there.

I'm not sure why palm does that. i think ipods and i think zunes (don't have one) do it right. especially consider amapche is likely to be used with a server that has a large unwieldy collection of media. Thanks for your consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    there's a couple things you could do to make it more secure.

First: make a user account with limited permissions. Only use this account to connect remotely. Never use your admin account unless you are in the private ip range.

Second: set up ssl and use it to connect remotely. Ampache mobile nor ampachpre support this yet but you could connect via another pc and do some admin remotely that way.
    I forgot somethin. You can also set up a password with htaccess on the ampache directory.

Edit: just thought of something though. I am not sure how ampachpre or ampache mobile will handle this though. The build in web browser pops up a dialog box.
    Last edited by fain; 09/04/2009 at 05:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tredftw View Post
    Here are some Icons I made:

I'm quite partial to the Black one myself
    Did anyone see any of the icons i made? I still don't too much like the icon and I was hoping in the next update it could be changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    I forgot somethin. You can also set up a password with htaccess on the ampache directory.

Edit: just thought of something though. I am not sure how ampachpre or ampache mobile will handle this though. The build in web browser pops up a dialog box.
    thank you very much for your help.
    It would be nice to have a configurable amount of look-ahead, that way I'd be able to buffer enough music to get me through my subway ride to and from work everyday.

Edit: I've had 0.0.4 running all day and it works great. I'm playing around with the buffering code now, gets a little choppy on the switch.
    Last edited by mbetter; 09/05/2009 at 11:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
    It would be nice to have a configurable amount of look-ahead, that way I'd be able to buffer enough music to get me through my subway ride to and from work everyday.
    I'd second this. I'd love to leave home, have it start buffering and by the time I got
    to the subway it should be easily able to have enough buffered to cover my commute,
    but that may well be more than other users want to prebuffer.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Seems like it took me forever to get this installed (mostly because I grabbed an older version of Ampache first), but it's totally worth it. I love having my entire music collection at my fingertips. Makes the 8 gig memory not seem nearly as bad.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adactuslatem View Post
    Oh noes.......The university I goto uses a damn packetshaper....I may not even be able to do this on their network...
    That's exactly what the problem is. I'm intimately familiar with Packeteer. They make a very good packet shaper that lets you do awesome QoS and make sure that the network doesn't get choked off by stuff it shouldn't. That message is the one that Packeteer gives to let you know that the traffic is blocked by the device. You won't have much luck getting around it. You might be able to if you are on campus wireless, depending on where the packeteer is installed.