View Poll Results: How many people have been able to get Ampache setup?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

160 53.87%
  • No

137 46.13%
Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    So I got this set up, and working quite well. One request I have, that would just make it perfect. Say you're playing through an album, so all the songs are queued up in a row. Is it possible to have the Pre start buffering the next track when it finishes buffering the first track playing? That would allow for seamless song changes if you're just listening through, and no more waiting to buffer when changing tracks(unless the current track hasn't buffered yet). Could also work on shuffled playlists, as long as the implementation just looks at the next track that will play. Maybe its been mentioned in the other 10 pages of this thread, I dunno.
    That's already 90% of the way done. Works exactly as you've described. I took it out for the initial release because it was to buggy. Will be going back in at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    That's already 90% of the way done. Works exactly as you've described. I took it out for the initial release because it was to buggy. Will be going back in at some point.
    Yeah, I edited after re-reading the first post and seeing you specifically mentioned it Can't wait, great work thus far.
    Ok, I acutally got it up and running but on some music Im getting an Audio Player Recieved an Error message, not for everything but some songs.

And on album art.

ANy help?
  4.    #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH985 View Post
    Ok, I acutally got it up and running but on some music Im getting an Audio Player Recieved an Error message, not for everything but some songs.

And on album art.

ANy help?
    What format are the tracks in that are failing?
    I have a question.

I have it up and running which is great

The problem I am having is if I am roaming it will not stream the audio. I can connect to the server browse, click on a song and the artwork shows up but then I get a error saying the audio player encountered an error or something like that.

I know it is not because of the slower 1x speed because with the same roaming signal strength AmpachePre will play the song while roaming with the same 1x speed and signal strength.

Is there any way to get this to work while roaming?
    I know I don't want to do a lot of streaming while roaming or Sprint might have a cow and I will get a $500 bill but would like to have this working.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    There is actually code in the in the app for pre-buffering the next song and I tried using it for a couple days, it just needs a lot more work. So I disabled it for now, I wanted to release something solid to start with. Personally I hate buggy software. But the cool part is that i've proven that it is technically possible, just have to get the kinks worked out. It's about 2x more complicated than the current music controller code.
    Yeah, I appreciate you doing it so I'm fine with waiting! Even without the buffering the app is still very usable.

I'll look into some gesture support and careful in the car.
    Heh, yeah, I try not to use it at all while actually driving but even in general I fat finger the button set a lot.
  7.    #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by logos View Post
    Yeah, I appreciate you doing it so I'm fine with waiting! Even without the buffering the app is still very usable.

Heh, yeah, I try not to use it at all while actually driving but even in general I fat finger the button set a lot.
    I got gesture support working. Using it right now. I am gonna try to animate flicking the cover art over before I release it, because right now there is no feedback that you flicked correctly.
    i used this to convert itunes playlists to m3u. iTunes Music Library Export | Get iTunes Music Library Export at SourceForge.net it's a quick batch converter. then you just have to manually add them in ampache. But it worked fined. thought someone else may have use for it. oh it may require .net but i'm not sure. i didn't have to install anything.

And no album art.

ANy help?
    What format are the tracks in that are failing?
    They're from my Itunes library...m4a (I think that's right)

Thanks again
  10.    #210  
    They're from my Itunes library...m4a (I think that's right)

Thanks again
    Do the tracks have DRM? Are they locked to your iTunes account?
    Do the tracks have DRM? Are they locked to your iTunes account?
    I have no idea, I don't even know what that is or how the are locked to an account. Is there some way to check?
    i finally got this workin.....what i found out was that the port i was using was blocked by another app.....make sure what port you are using is open in ur router and ur modem
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Simple way to check if a port is open: Open Port Check Tool

Success - you should be good to go
    Fail - port used by another app, blocked by firewall, not forwarded on router, etc.

Also provides your external ip, which is handy.
    I have no idea, I don't even know what that is or how the are locked to an account. Is there some way to check?
    DRM stands for "Digital Rights Management" and it is a method of copy protection for used for audio files. Most files purchased from itunes have DRM and it means they can only be played by itunes or an ipod, unless you use something to strip the DRM. I don't buy music from itunes ever so i have no idea what you'd use to do it but i know you can. Regardless They add it to prevent piracy/protect their bottom line.

when you say it's in your itunes library it's, people are probably wondering if it's copyprotected hence the other questions. But someone can correct me if i'm wrong, i think if you bought it on itunes and/or if it has any form of DRM it's not going to play through ampache.
  15.    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    DRM stands for "Digital Rights Management" and it is a method of copy protection for used for audio files. Most files purchased from itunes have DRM and it means they can only be played by itunes or an ipod, unless you use something to strip the DRM. I don't buy music from itunes ever so i have no idea what you'd use to do it but i know you can. Regardless They add it to prevent piracy/protect their bottom line.

when you say it's in your itunes library it's, people are probably wondering if it's copyprotected hence the other questions. But someone can correct me if i'm wrong, i think if you bought it on itunes and/or if it has any form of DRM it's not going to play through ampache.
    I think its not going to play in anything but an iPod or iTunes (that includes your pre) unless you strip the DRM, and this is not the place to discuss how to do that. iTunes does have non-DRMed music available now for just this reason but i think it costs a little more.

ED: they might also give you the ability to pay the difference on tracks you've already purchased. Quick google search reveals. Someone correct me if i am wrong but i think DRMed tracks are m4p and liberated ones are m4a.
    Last edited by bjgeiser; 09/02/2009 at 02:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by falz View Post
    Excellent tip for the transcoding. I just set this up following the instructions in Ampache's wiki. To clear up for anyone else trying this, here's a few pointers. It seems that the default install has the first two ACL's they mention so only the 3rd ACL needs to be added. Then as an admin user, go to Admin-> Streaming and set the "Transcode Bitrate" to whatever you'd like. 128k is probably as high as you'd want to go.

One other note is that the default mp3 transcoding type in Ampache's config is mp3splt. It didn't work for me and gave me errors that I had to debug. Something with it's -o option. I got lazy and changed it to the 'lame' setting that they recommend for windows (although I'm not running windows) and it worked fine.

It also seems that you can assign a bitrate per user in Ampache, so you may be able to setup profiles with different bitrates (96, 128, 192) depending on how your connection is. I didn't try this out, but it seems like it should be possible.

Anyway, great work bjgeiser. This app is quite capable in its current state. I can't think of any features other than what you already have on your todo list.
    i'm a bit confused on downsampling.

objective:I'd like to have my mp3s down sample to around 128 for mp3s. i'm a bit confused where and what exactly to enter in the cfg file.

and where do we add lame as a transcoder?

and the more i try to explain the more i realize how confused i really am. any help would be appreciated. Especially if anyone could actually post the text so i can just cut an paste it. now that it's working i don't want to break anything.
  17.    #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i'm a bit confused on downsampling.

objective:I'd like to have my mp3s down sample to around 128 for mp3s. i'm a bit confused where and what exactly to enter in the cfg file.

and where do we add lame as a transcoder?

and the more i try to explain the more i realize how confused i really am. any help would be appreciated. Especially if anyone could actually post the text so i can just cut an paste it. now that it's working i don't want to break anything.
    What OS?
    I think its not going to play in anything but an iPod or iTunes (that includes your pre) unless you strip the DRM, and this is not the place to discuss how to do that. iTunes does have non-DRMed music available now for just this reason but i think it costs a little more.

ED: they might also give you the ability to pay the difference on tracks you've already purchased. Quick google search reveals. Someone correct me if i am wrong but i think DRMed tracks are m4p and liberated ones are m4a.
    You guys are great with getting back answers so quick, I just wish I understood them better sometimes. Ok, I understand what you're saying about the music bought from I tunes being DRM, but I actually buy very little from I Tunes, it's just in my Itunes library because of my Ipod. Most of it was stuff I downloaded, and the music I'm talking about is some of what I downloaded off of cds into my library. A lot of what's coming from the library I can listen to, I can't figure out the connection to the stuff I can't.

Once again thanks.
    What OS?
    Windows XP Pro SP2 i believe
    You guys are great with getting back answers so quick, I just wish I understood them better sometimes. Ok, I understand what you're saying about the music bought from I tunes being DRM, but I actually buy very little from I Tunes, it's just in my Itunes library because of my Ipod. Most of it was stuff I downloaded, and the music I'm talking about is some of what I downloaded off of cds into my library. A lot of what's coming from the library I can listen to, I can't figure out the connection to the stuff I can't.

Once again thanks.
    oh i was just guessing. I think because it's m4a, and in your library people may have been guessing if it was DRM'd itunes purchases since i think they sell in .m4a format. I think. Unfortunately i'm in the same boat as you with my understanding of a lot of this stuff. Much of the server terminology is new and often the things say "do xyz" and i'm like, "huh?" Maybe one of the more knowledgeable contributors else can be of more help.