Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    The Cool Tip Calculator is a handy utility application for use in any tipping situation

What is so cool about this app:

- Attractive design
    - Large keys for number entries
    - Large easy-to-read text and numbers
    - Sound feedback when you tap buttons
    - Color scheme and design for maximum ease of reading in low lighted restaurants
    - Intuitive interface – easy to use
    - Calculates tip with or without tax
    - Divides tip amount among number of people (ability to split bill even or uneven)
    - Allows user to change tip percentage based on quality of service
    - 3 Options for rounding tip amount, total to pay, and total per person
    - Reference information on how to tip properly

Special features:

- My Bill Records: allows you save your bills to database.
    - Adjustment screen allows you easily split the bill in anyway you want. Let's say you just order a salad while your friends have steak or seafood, of course you don't want to pay the same price as them. Use this feature to adjust your check.
    - App will auto remember your settings (tip %, tax rated...) for next time use.

Screenshots:

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...or-adjustments

Visit my homepage (MyAppCatalog.com) for more screenshots and other apps:

www.MyAppCatalog.com

Link to other apps on PreCentral.net

Guitarist's Reference: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...15#post1853015

Super Hangman : http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...igh-score.html

Cool Tip Calculator: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...justments.html
    Last edited by kardin; 08/28/2009 at 12:57 PM.
    i dont think i will ever use a tip calculator.. just because im good enough at math id figure it out before id pull my phone out..

but it looks cool. like the UI. probably will download and check it out jsut for that

nice work. thanks
    how are you releasing your other apps? very interested in guitar app, looks amazing. looks like youve got tons of time into that!!! very comprehensive
    It's color and attractive, and although I usually round off in my head, for multiple people in a party splitting a check, this is definitely a great tool.

You've just replaced the other tipCalc on my phone!
    Cool app.. a few suggestoins:

1. but can you please add a preference to turn off sounds?
    2. When you do an "adjustment" for a given person, it would be great to know what the pre-adjusted amount is on that same screen. That way you can just say "let me add $4" or something like that...
    3. The screen sometimes needs to have vertical scrolling... it would be great to have everyone visible without the need for scrolling.

great start!
    Got another suggestion, too...

On the "amount of bill / top amount / total to pay / total per person" page, you may want to have an option to "tap here to edit" the Tip amount to manually override the dollar amount (instead of calc via the percentage). just a thought
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I like the options you have! Great job.
    My comments / requests would be:
    Ability to enter either tax percentage or the tax dollar amount.
    For an option for a skin that is plain Web OS style (the dark version like the alarm section of the webOS clock).
    And I would second the sounds off as an in app preference (otherwise I just turn on the hardware mute switch every time I use it). Or even haptic feedback via vibration and sounds off/on.
    Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    It's certainly good-looking if you don't mind a little fun. However, I find the sound annoying and that takes too many taps from opening until get to the final calculation.

If you use a menu like all the other Pre apps you can open the app right in the Calc mode, have a button for Bill Records, and put "How to tip" and "View More Apps" into the menu (along with "Preferences" to turn off the sound and "About" to show name, author, version, etc.).

I like that the calc saves the tip, tax, and split numbers from previous use. It would be great if you could also bump them up (+) or down (-) on that main entry page so you don't always have to go into each one, type the new number, and then hit the checkmark.
    it works like the "Tip Calc" just more color and a major difference would be the uneven split(like that alot)...gotta lose that sound or an option to turn it off...
    Even though its only a simple tip calculator, the added functionality gives it a bit of an edge. But what really makes this a 5 star app for me regardless of if I ever even use it or not, is the presentation and style. Full scree, great custom illustration, menus, previews for other apps. It all looks stunning and even though there are a lot of cool and useful apps on the homebrew gallery, almost all of them use the stock pre design interface and don't change it up at all. I give this developer a ton of credit for going out of his way to design this app to be truly unique.

I'm totally looking forward to the hangman game. I think a lot of pre developers could learn something from this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    Even though its only a simple tip calculator, the added functionality gives it a bit of an edge. But what really makes this a 5 star app for me regardless of if I ever even use it or not, is the presentation and style. Full scree, great custom illustration, menus, previews for other apps. It all looks stunning and even though there are a lot of cool and useful apps on the homebrew gallery, almost all of them use the stock pre design interface and don't change it up at all. I give this developer a ton of credit for going out of his way to design this app to be truly unique.

I'm totally looking forward to the hangman game. I think a lot of pre developers could learn something from this guy.
    yeah what he said. all of his apps on his site look great.. i cant wait to see them. hoping he comes back to post when they will be available!!
    yeah what sets this apart from the other apps is the style. It looks as if it could be on the app catalog right now which is why I will most likely use this Tip Calculator. Good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    yeah what sets this apart from the other apps is the style. It looks as if it could be on the app catalog right now which is why I will most likely use this Tip Calculator. Good stuff!
    This looks better than even most apps available on the app catalog. The more apps the better but being available on the official catalog doesn't necessarily mean they're of the highest quality. The official Yelp! app is pretty barebones as of right now. Especially in comparison to Where which has Yelp usability coded in. And even more so when you compare it to Yelp on the iPhone.
    I like the feature set, but the design, in my opinion, is retarded. That's a shame because it looks like you spent a lot of time on it.

Just as Cool and Flashy are not the same thing, neither are Simple and Lame.

Only if I were in Las Vegas would I not be too embarrassed to pull this app out.

The most egregious thing for me is the Type treatment. After that it's using the same jewel tone to represent different things.

In short, this app tries WAY too hard to be cool, and in so doing, fails.
    This whole setup is player, guy. You have made an app that really is just "up there" as far as quality, and even had nicely presented peeks at future apps that look just as good. I must say, that the apps are a little too, I don't know, "kiddie" looking FOR ME, but solid as hell, nonetheless. Keep up the great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    In short, this app tries WAY too hard to be cool, and in so doing, fails.
    Just for comparison sake, what would you describe as an app that tries to look cool and actually succeeds?
    Stunning graphics!! LOVE IT

But, ehh I never could understand why anyone who is smart enough to work a cell phone cant do simple % math without a calculator. Frankly I suck at math, honestly, but I can always on the fly figure 10% 15%, 20% 50%, or any other easy %...

but reallly Stunningly gorgeous graphics!!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Best tip calculator I have used to date. I love this thing, even better that you can change the price per person. Great Job, looking forward to your future apps.

One thing, is there a way to disable the annoying beep? I didn't see an option. And if there isn't away can you add that into the next version?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    It's certainly good-looking if you don't mind a little fun. However, I find the sound annoying and that takes too many taps from opening until get to the final calculation.

If you use a menu like all the other Pre apps you can open the app right in the Calc mode, have a button for Bill Records, and put "How to tip" and "View More Apps" into the menu (along with "Preferences" to turn off the sound and "About" to show name, author, version, etc.).

I like that the calc saves the tip, tax, and split numbers from previous use. It would be great if you could also bump them up (+) or down (-) on that main entry page so you don't always have to go into each one, type the new number, and then hit the checkmark.
    I am 100% in agreement. The sound is annoying, if I was sitting in a restaurant that is the last thing I want. The number of clicks to get anywhere is unnecessarily high, especially the first title page is totally unnecessary. A quick on-page selection of the tip level (I would do a drop-down list personally) would be faster than loading a new page and then going back.

The feature that I really like here is editing the split, but that would be much more useful if you entered the pre-tip amount for each person rather than the total for each person.

I do like the overall look, but for now I am sticking with the tip calculator redux because it is so streamlined.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Functionally this is just what I want.
    I would love a preference to revert to Pre standard objects. This is the type of app that needs to be functional not flashy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast