Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am the creator of a project called YT2V (the YouTube 2 Video application) that I am now bringing to WebOS.

I am nearing completion on it and these will be the basic functions:
    Search for videos (like in the YouTube app)
    Click on a video result to select download or preview
    Decide if you want it in Audio (mp3) or Video (mp4)

The conversion will occur on my server and the file then will be dropped into your Pre.

I plan on making a service for this and using that to convert videos directly on the Pre.

It will be released Open Source (AGPL).

Submitted to the Homebrew Catalog!

Report bugs at the bug tracker site I set up.

feel free to donate if you want..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 11/01/2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added preview screenshots
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    sounds pretty cool. Like that you get to choose mp3 or 4 so you can just grab the audio. Def be willing to pay .99 to be able to do this.
    SCK Manager
    Im in man sounds great!
    Sweet can't wait
    Definitely sounds like something I'd use. Most people would say that if you can access it on youtube you can pull it up any time on the pre, but I'm in a low network area and could really use that functionality. You have my dollar when you release it!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    definitely sounds good!
    Would definitely drop .99 for this! Can't wait to see this on the Pre
    Wow! On device conversion of youtbue vids? That would be awesome!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Wow! On device conversion of youtbue vids? That would be awesome!!!
    Well that's not possible yet (not without rooting and installing ffmpeg then running commands, etc.), but in the future it should be
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
  10.    #10  
    I have attached some preview screenshots. I have just a bit more to go and I would like some suggestions from the people here.

The only downside so far is that (due to YouTube's design) all of the videos, if you decide to preview it, will be played in the YouTube app...
    Arthur Thornton

11.    #11  
    Two updates:

1) The videos should be able to play in the video player that is included with the Pre and most likely won't be dependent on YouTube's app
    2) While I was aiming for a release today, I was unable to do so because I have been working on another project that took priority yesterday and today as I was attempting to patch a major vulnerability left by the former developer. I should hopefully have a release tomorrow, though I won't be able to do much testing. The main part left is the downloading/conversion (server side) part as most of the app is done.
    Arthur Thornton

I'm definitely up this. I'm willing to donate.
  13.    #13  
    I added in some more screenshots.

I expect a release late tomorrow or mid Tuesday (EDT).
    Arthur Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I am the creator of a project called YT2V (the YouTube 2 Video application) that I am now bringing to WebOS.

I am nearing completion on it and these will be the basic functions:
    Search for videos (like in the YouTube app)
    Click on a video result to select download or preview
    Decide if you want it in Audio (mp3) or Video (mp4)

The conversion will occur on my server and the file then will be dropped into your Pre.
    Eventually, when Palm releases a native SDK, I will be able to set it up in such a way that the Pre (or any future WebOS device) handled the conversion, as it can be done with ffmpeg and nothing else is needed. Until then, the conversion has to occur off-site.

It will be released Open Source (AGPL) and when I submit it to the App Catalog, I hope to sell it for $0.99 (to handle the cost of bandwidth and server related expenses).

So, if you think you want an app like this, please let me know in this thread.

feel free to donate if you want..
    Quit teasing me already.
    Not so sure if Sprint will let you put it on the app store though...violation of copyright infringement on the music and videos....then again i'm not a lawyer nor i know much about this stuff.

Anyhow...i would love to get this app on my Pre via here on the Homebrew. Will donate for it.
    waiting to try this! Will we see a realese today??
    Hey man I'm interested in this. And I'd definitely give more than a dollar for this (way more). Let me know when you have it done. Thanks.
    i JUST TO SAY SOMETHING SO i CAN BRING THIS THREAD BACK UP ON TOP. IF MORE PEOPLE DONATED AFTER THIS YOU CAN THANK ME AFTER YOU RELEASE THE APP.
  19.    #19  
    This is still under development as I am ironing out the bugs in it. At the moment, there is an issue preventing the download from happening, and the only format supported is MP3, as the MP4s are coming out in extremely low quality, as it is all the Pre supports.

I will be looking into alternative conversion software, but ffmpeg is the only one that really works.

Also, the advanced options (search and ID3 tags) are future support and will not be supported off the bat.

So far there have been no donations, though they would be greatly appreciated

Right now I am going to go to sleep, but I will definitely work on this tomorrow morning (going to go to Starbucks for an hour and a half or so and get out of my normal environment just enjoying coffee and fixing bugs)
    Arthur Thornton

20.    #20  
    All day I have been trying to figure out a way to get the Pre to play the video that YouTube provides in MP4 (streaming RTSP), but it seems that the Pre doesn't like it.

It seems that it will be necessary for the YouTube app to be opened for the video to be previewed, however unfortunate it is. At least, for now anyhow. I looked through as much of the YouTube app code as I could and it seems to be getting that feed and it works for that app, though I honestly do not know how.

I expect a release Saturday.
    Arthur Thornton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast