Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nice! Looking fwd to trying it out and helping out with ironing out the bugs....
    Quote Originally Posted by Niris777 View Post
    Nice! Looking fwd to trying it out and helping out with ironing out the bugs....
    ugh! we got a BUG! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LoL jus kiddin!

ArthurThorton I will do the beta testing for ya. Jus let us know when it's out. K have a great labor day weekend. Get rest.. Peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post

ArthurThorton I will do the beta testing for ya. Jus let us know when it's out. K have a great labor day weekend. Get rest.. Peace!

LOL, you have no idea how much I hate "BUGS" !!!
  4.    #24  

I just have one final bug, and that is that the download function isn't working as it should (won't get the JSON text from the server that indicates where to get the file or if there was an error) and since the MOJO SDK provides no real debugging, it has taken me days to try to get this sorted out.

Thanks for the offer (though it will go public as soon as it is working, so everyone here can do beta testing) and for the wishes of a good weekend. I am having a good weekend and I anticipate having you test YT2V very soon. I just hope there aren't too many people using it as that could take my server down, which would not be good . Have a good weekend as well.

After that bug is fixed, it is as simple as cleaning up the code to make it look nice and including the license information in the files.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    definitely worth a dollar
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I just have one final bug, and that is that the download function isn't working as it should (won't get the JSON text from the server that indicates where to get the file or if there was an error) and since the MOJO SDK provides no real debugging, it has taken me days to try to get this sorted out.

Thanks for the offer (though it will go public as soon as it is working, so everyone here can do beta testing) and for the wishes of a good weekend. I am having a good weekend and I anticipate having you test YT2V very soon. I just hope there aren't too many people using it as that could take my server down, which would not be good . Have a good weekend as well.

After that bug is fixed, it is as simple as cleaning up the code to make it look nice and including the license information in the files.
    Ya know I just had an idea. I thought by sharing it would open up new ideas.. What if you could make the application have 2 parts:

1. On the pre's end the the app will act as a client.

2. there has to be a server on the our computer (preferably windows) which responds to request made on the pre remotely.. Similar to VNC except it doesn't control your pc it just converts videos. This should cut down server cost to zero!

3. Third! I would still make it a paid app for all your hard work anyway. If successful then you should release an free version that lets user download youtube converts up to 3 times limit until they paid to unlock the unlimited version. What do ya say?

If you still support the idea of having it on your server for 99 cents then you would have to set a bandwidth limit for every account that uses this service. Perhaps upgrading your server means they have to pay more to download more. ;-)
  7.    #27  
    Ya know I just had an idea. I thought by sharing it would open up new ideas.. What if you could make the application have 2 parts:

1. On the pre's end the the app will act as a client.

2. there has to be a server on the our computer (preferably windows) which responds to request made on the pre remotely.. Similar to VNC except it doesn't control your pc it just converts videos. This should cut down server cost to zero!

3. Third! I would still make it a paid app for all your hard work anyway. If successful then you should release an free version that lets user download youtube converts up to 3 times limit until they paid to unlock the unlimited version. What do ya say?

If you still support the idea of having it on your server for 99 cents then you would have to set a bandwidth limit for every account that uses this service. Perhaps upgrading your server means they have to pay more to download more. ;-)
    That is a great idea.

For now, I think it will be on my server.
    Then I will make a simple PERL daemon (I don't know perl very well, but it will work) with a .NET application as the front end (Windows) and a basic command line C++ app for Linux.
    And I hope a generous person will develop a cross-platform compatible C app for Windows and Linux so I can distribute that rather than Perl and requiring every Windows user to install ActivePerl and all linux users to install perl.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
  8.    #28  
    Sorry for the two weeks of missing-ness :/

I have been working on other things and I haven't been able to do much with YT2V. I do have it nearly done, with the only part being a small part of troubleshooting.

I would like to share the logo with all of the people here on the PC forums. I have attached it as an image to the main post. Enjoy!

I expect a release within the next few days. Logo made courtesy of remix2000
    Arthur Thornton

9.    #29  
    Just an update: The app works! I have successfully downloaded an MP4 video file from youtube and am seeing what the problem is with audio files.

I hope for a release today.
    Arthur Thornton

Well that's not possible yet (not without rooting and installing ffmpeg then running commands, etc.), but in the future it should be
    ffmpeg is already on the device.

I'd be more interested in an application that would allow me to sign into my youtube account and to watch my subscribed video feeds. I didn't notice it on the screenshots, so I'm not sure if that's on the 'to-do' list or not.
  11.    #31  
    Not on my to-do list, but then again, the specific function of this app is to download videos. I am sure Palm is working on something like what you desire, and to be sure they know of your interest, you could recommend it to their dev team.

The code for this will be OS, so a fork could be made that allows for watching/downloading of videos from your subscribed feeds. I am sure another dev could even build that into YT2V for WebOS directly rather than a fork, but it isn't on my personal priority list.

And also, I noticed just a few weeks ago that ffmpeg is installed, so the only thing preventing on-device conversion is my lack of a service to handle the conversion requests.
    Arthur Thornton

12.    #32  
    I now have a git repo up at gitorious.org and will soon be uploading the ipk to PC.

For the time being, the app works only part of the time with downloading mp4's and never for mp3's (don't know why).

I will look into integrating the newly created YouTube downloader patch into this app as it should guarantee that the app will download all mp4's. Then I can focus on the mp3 portion.

I will not upload the code for the server side yet, as I would like to make sure it is 100% secure before doing so.

The repo address is:
    yt2v-for-webos in YT2V for WebOS - Gitorious

The license is:
    AGPLv3

The main reason for the license is because I want everyone to benefit from others' contributions. If you can make it better, you have to give the code back to us to integrate if we desire. This will in the end make it better for the end user.

You should make a clone of the public code and if you want to contribute something, request a merge and I will possibly integrate it.
    Arthur Thornton

sounds nice
  14.    #34  
    Still waiting for approval for it to go into the PreCentral homebrew catalog, but I have a few details:

Bug Reports: http://webos.zantagonox.com/yt2v/
    (sign up for an account to report)

The version to be released is 1.1.1 and it should work on all platforms.
    Currently, it only works with some video files and NO audio files. It is unknown at this time why the audio files fail and why the video files sometimes fail.

The code is (as previously mentioned) fully open source and available publicly from a Gitorious.org Git repo. You can check out the code and see how it works.

I anticipate having a Java service (as soon as I learn some basic Java) to handle the conversions on-device in the near future, which should allow for faster times. At this time, however, the conversion is handled on my server.

If this app helps you in any way, please, PLEASE, donate to help the cause and to help make it better.
    Arthur Thornton

It is available now trying it out thanks!
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Nice Nice Nice

Just a thought, but how about adding features like DrPodder, but for youtube channels, to download to the pre for offline viewing.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I tried it with multiple videos and none downloaded. Is there a status bar to show me how much left on the dl? Also where is it putting the downloads?
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    I tried it with multiple videos and none downloaded. Is there a status bar to show me how much left on the dl? Also where is it putting the downloads?
    Ditto
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta View Post
    Ditto
    Like I said, at the moment, it does have some issues. Most of the time it does not download, but it does at least 10% of the time.

I am still looking into that and plan on integrating the YouTube Download Patch into YT2V for WebOS.
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Like I said, at the moment, it does have some issues. Most of the time it does not download, but it does at least 10% of the time.

I am still looking into that and plan on integrating the YouTube Download Patch into YT2V for WebOS.
    Cool, I was just making sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Great app and thanks for your hardwork
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast