Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Any chance of being able to search for a specific restaurant and pulling up all items from that restaurant? Or going into a submenu to then be able to search for items within that restaruant?
    One of the few things I've got no control over is the search algorithm. However, I think it's actually supposed to do that if it were working properly. The live site can do it. It's something I've already brought up with the API devs so perhaps we'll be seeing it soon.

As for actual submenus by restaurant, that's really not possible because of the way the backend was designed.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Nice start but... please use the REST API. It returns raw XML which is perfect because you can then use that to render it in a gorgeous all-MOJO interface. You can fetch the XML, stick it in a DOM node and then walk the entire document to get the stuff you need from it and present it nicely.

Funny, I've been looking into this but with CalorieKing and they didn't seem to have a free to use API. I didn't know about FatSecret having a completely free one. Very cool!

Other idea I have for this:

Save searches into 'my foods' so you can have these readily available whenever you want without having to perform API calls. You then don't even need to be connected to the internet to use parts of the app.
    Hey, you're speaking straight to my heart, man. That's where I'd like to take this thing. It's the only way I'll be able to beautify the search results and get some more WebOS standard behavior out of the app. I'm sure the app's approval rating will suffer since I released it early, but oh well.

I was also thinking about saved searches as well, but I wouldn't be able to pull it off without the REST API (which I'm still figuring out). I was also trying to find a clever way to implement it from a UI perspective, but I think I've already got a simple solution for that.

FatSecret is apparently very new, and they're obviously still working some of the bugs out of it on their end. I've found at least 3 so far (two of which they have already fixed).
    Here's another thought... if you are IN the restaurant, wouldn't it be cool to be able to "search here" and have it pick up your current location, reverse the lat/long to address (already available in the webOS location API), then figure out what restaurant is at that address (not sure how to do that, but given the street or the lat/long, perhaps doing a search somewhere for the "nearest restaurant" would give you an idea where you are... Kind of like in the navigation apps when you look for nearby restaurants, it would be nice to have a list sorted by distance, so you could ideally just pick the first one and say "that's where I'm at" and have that automatically generate a search for that restaurant's menu items. Anyway, keep up the great work!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by lemketron View Post
    Here's another thought... if you are IN the restaurant, wouldn't it be cool to be able to "search here" and have it pick up your current location, reverse the lat/long to address (already available in the webOS location API), then figure out what restaurant is at that address (not sure how to do that, but given the street or the lat/long, perhaps doing a search somewhere for the "nearest restaurant" would give you an idea where you are... Kind of like in the navigation apps when you look for nearby restaurants, it would be nice to have a list sorted by distance, so you could ideally just pick the first one and say "that's where I'm at" and have that automatically generate a search for that restaurant's menu items. Anyway, keep up the great work!
    Now that's some seriously forward thinking there. I like the idea, but I'm just not sure the system could handle it. Even if I could locate the restaurant (for which I would have to find a separate API), there's no guarantee that it's in the FatSecret database. Fast food joints are easy, but local spots and nicer sit-down restaurants are likely not in there. I would hate to populate a list of local restaurants just to have to tell the end user that the search came back empty (or innaccurately).

Most of those apps using local search features like CitySearch and Google Maps typically have their own pre-compiled databases of locations or have access to tap into someone else's. It doesn't even appear that the Google Maps API spits out this info.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    If you search for "Red Robin Turkey" on their web site, it comes up with one entry (the Red Robin Turkey Burger), but in your app, it comes up with a bunch of non-related turkey items.

When you pass in the search expression, do you pass in exactly what the user types (with spaces), or do you replace the spaces with "+" signs? I noticed that when you search on their web page, the query string has "+" signs in between each word. I don't know if that's necessary or not with the API call.
    Here's the response I got from the API devs:

Hi AlanS17,

Thanks for your note.

There are currently some minor variances at present owing to a
    provision for data being submitted directly into FatSecret Brand
    Tools; the search results will be completely synchronized soon.

Thanks for your patience.

The FatSecret Platform team
    Aparrently, they claim the discrepancy lies in the fact that they have all these vendors inputting their own nutritional info into the system, and it somehow hasn't synced with the the API's results. Only time will tell if this is actually correct.
    Thanks for the app, it's been pretty useful. Seems to work fine for the most part, but I do have at least one issue so far. If I click on a search result to view details, I can't go back to the search results. Swiping back in the gesture area just takes me back to the splash screen and I have to do the search over again. That's the only feedback I have for now.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassd00d View Post
    Thanks for the app, it's been pretty useful. Seems to work fine for the most part, but I do have at least one issue so far. If I click on a search result to view details, I can't go back to the search results. Swiping back in the gesture area just takes me back to the splash screen and I have to do the search over again. That's the only feedback I have for now.
    That's one of the bigger known issues. It's absolutely un-fixable with the way the the app is currently written. It would "automagically" fix itself if I could use the REST approach (which would require a re-write fromt he ground up), but their REST API has an overly complicated authentication method. If I could get that to work, I suspect the rest would be simple by comparison.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Any thought about being able to login to fatsecret.com through this app and track your eating, exercise, jounal, etc?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by djschmitt View Post
    Any thought about being able to login to fatsecret.com through this app and track your eating, exercise, jounal, etc?
    Unfortunately, those options are only available through the REST API. I've coded against the javascript API. Under normal circumstances, a REST API wouldn't be a problem, and I would already be working on it.

However, they use a particular authentication system called oauth that I've had a VERY hard time trying to get working on my end. Apparently it's something that a number of WebOS devs have struggled with. If I could pass that hurdle, the rest (no pun intended) would be much easier by comparison.

If I could get into the REST API, I could implement better UI, save functions, login functions, etc. It's the difference between just looking at data and actually doing something with it.

EDIT: I guess I said most of that before... :-S
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Right on - thanks for the app tho, it's still a keeper
    This app is great!

I have always used the palm OS app created by USDA with their database. Any plans to include the information from their database? It has more data per item then your current source.

check it out: USDA.gov

United States Department of Agriculture - Food and Nutrition
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    First of all, Great App, I use it all the time to track the carbs in food for my daughter who is a Type I diabetic!

Next up is a feature request. My daughter also has Celiac disease, which is characterized by an intolerance to gluten (found in wheat, oats, barley, and rye). Is there any way to get the ingredients list pulled in to your app along with the nutritional info for all the products? That would be awesome!

Thanks again for your app!
    Last edited by tdogg0413; 11/09/2009 at 03:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Would be great to match the data here with the "Diet Control" app.

Any chance you guys can collaborate?
    The 1.4 update seems to have broken
    the program. Anyway fix available for this? This program is a must have. Please say there is a fix coming soon... Pretty, pretty please.

Quote Originally Posted by alans17 View Post
    Nutrition Facts is a nutritional info search tool that generates "Nutrition Facts" labels like the kind you see on the backs of boxes at the supermarket. Imagine having a simple, easy-to-read label for a McDonald's burger. Well, now it's doable.

I hope you like it. The API that I hooked into (FatSecret) was difficult to port so I had to perform a couple of work-arounds. Additionally, I'm admittedly not the greatest fan of their searching algorythms (which I have no control over). Nevertheless, it's a fully functional app that does just one thing, and happens to do it particularly well. Enjoy!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Some things I can change and somethings are built into the API. However, I'll do what I can. :-)

You will be able to find it at:
    [url]

TODO:
    "pretty up" the search results
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Will this app be updated eventually?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I like this app, the search is pretty speedy, however when I find what I want and click it to get the full info nothing happens, the label from the screen shot never appears. Any suggestions?
    Didn't work at all! I do a search, click and get a blank screen. Thought this one had promise for what I need, too.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I'm having the same issue that verwon described. When I click a link to pull up a nutrition label, all I get is a white screen...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12