Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gene26 View Post
    ...My question is, is there a specific folder within my ampache folder where i place these files/folders? or is it somewhere within my windows install? this is where my confusion really is...
    I am on Linux, but to the best of my knowledge it doesn't mater where you install them, but you need to be able to open a command window and run each command. If you can run them, this means that they are in you path and Ampache should be able to run them too. If you can't you will need to modify the "default system" path.

Next, make sure logging is turned "on", on the Ampache server and try picking a song to transcode. You should see something like this in your Ampache log files:
    Code:
    2010-04-02 09:38:18 [ampache] (auto_transcode) -> Transcoding to mp3                                                                
    2010-04-02 09:38:18 [ampache] (Downsample) -> Starting Downsample {Transcode:default} {Native Stream:} {Not Local:}                 
    2010-04-02 09:38:18 [ampache] (downsample) -> Start Downsample: mp3splt -qnf '/usr/smb_stuff/my_music/10,000 Maniacs/Blind Mans Zo...
    2010-04-02 09:38:18 [ampache] (Play) -> Starting stream of /usr/smb_stuff/my_music/10,000 Maniacs/Blind Mans Zoo/01.Eat For Two.mp... 
    Last edited by wilderf; 04/18/2010 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    make sure the mysql daemon/service is running. Also double check your passwords and database name.
    Is everything I need in the guide. Because if it is, then It still isn't working for me.
    Also, Is there like a video Installing both xampp and ampache on the computer one after the other?
  4.    #924  
    Quote Originally Posted by gene26 View Post
    Ok, i have thought of a better way to phrase my question. I went to the Lame website, Went to the Lame Related Links, and went to the LAME Binaries. I chose RareWares to download from, and this is where my selection issue arises. I picked LAME 3.98.4, FLAC 1.2.1b, ALAC, and also mp3split from the link in the transcoding section of the ampache mobile wiki.

My question is, is there a specific folder within my ampache folder where i place these files/folders? or is it somewhere within my windows install? this is where my confusion really is.

I realize that it says in the config file that they "must be installed manually and in the web server path, and executable by the web server". And thats fine. I'm just not sure where that would be. And i was able to execute all the files using a cmd window on my own. Don't know if that matters, but i could.
    I believe the default system path for DOS commands is system32.
    Check this page out. looks like you can set a path too. How to set the path in Windows 2000 / Windows XP.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Is everything I need in the guide. Because if it is, then It still isn't working for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Also, Is there like a video Installing both xampp and ampache on the computer one after the other?

I dunno if there is a video. I made the guide by getting the basic system running, so all of the basics are there. If you are having database connection errors on localhost, it has to be something related to the mysql daemon.
    AmpachPre, your music your way.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have ZERO technical or programming knowledge. I just know that the computer/cell phone works (usually) when I turn the power on and click/tap the program icons.

New to the Pre; new the idea of streaming my music; new to ampache.

I am trying to install ampache to my PC with the intention of then running one of the Ampache apps for the Palm Pre. I am very illiterate when it comes to this sort of thing. Am using Jason Fain's guide: Ampache-how-to-vista32bit.pdf I am stuck at step 8 on page 5 of that guide.

When I click on the Tools: phpMy Admin, I get the following error:

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

I am VERY GREEN and know absolutely nothing about MySQL, other than that I had to install it about six months ago testing out another item of software for work that ultimately did not work the way I envisioned. So since then, Iíve not used MySQL for anything else (or learned anything about it).

I managed to open up MySQL Administrator and successfully login there, but Iím a bit lost as to how I get past the above error and move on with steps 9 - 36 of the Guide.

Was I supposed to install or configure something else relating to php before I did all of this?
    Any assistance?
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
  6.    #926  
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    I have ZERO technical or programming knowledge. I just know that the computer/cell phone works (usually) when I turn the power on and click/tap the program icons.

New to the Pre; new the idea of streaming my music; new to ampache.

I am trying to install ampache to my PC with the intention of then running one of the Ampache apps for the Palm Pre. I am very illiterate when it comes to this sort of thing. Am using Jason Fain's guide: Ampache-how-to-vista32bit.pdf I am stuck at step 8 on page 5 of that guide.

When I click on the Tools: phpMy Admin, I get the following error:

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

I am VERY GREEN and know absolutely nothing about MySQL, other than that I had to install it about six months ago testing out another item of software for work that ultimately did not work the way I envisioned. So since then, Iíve not used MySQL for anything else (or learned anything about it).

I managed to open up MySQL Administrator and successfully login there, but Iím a bit lost as to how I get past the above error and move on with steps 9 - 36 of the Guide.

Was I supposed to install or configure something else relating to php before I did all of this?
    Any assistance?
    I'm not quite sure what the problem is but I did find this when searching the error.

mySQL: ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO) - The macosxhints Forums

hope it helps.

Luke35: I overcame that problem by using "Xampp" to install MySQL. Apprently, the program doesn't like to run without a password (hence the password=no prompt), and it needs to be changed. When I got Xampp installed, I brought up the cmd window (the black with the dos strings in it), and used the following command at the prompt:

mysqladmin.exe -u root password XXXX

Here XXXX stands for whatever password you want to put in. If you want to use multiple words, you need to put in underscores for the spaces (as in this_is_my_password).

----
    I still cannot make this program run, however, and I am getting extremely frustrated.

My intention was to use Ampache mobile to access my music files through my web server so that i don't need to take up space on my Pre. I assumed that this program would allow me an interface through which I may stream music onto my Pre, but this doesn't seem to be the case. If I am wrong, and the program simply doesn't do that, please stop reading here and reply lettimg me know that I have completely misunderstood, and put me out of my misery with this program. If I'm right, and this is possible, keep reading...

My main computer is a laptop, so it is neither always on nor always running from the same IP address, so running the Ampache server off of this computer is a bad idea. I will not be able to reliably access this hard drive, and the server settings (IP, etc.) will always be changing depending on where I am. I already own a domain, and I am already familiar with creating databases and tables through cPanel, so the whole concept of MySql is not the problem I am having. The problem is how to get Ampache mobile to look for, find, and stream music off of MY Sql database (as in the ones I created, on the internet) and not off of my local hard drive on my computer. Or, barring that, I need a way to have my music files that are housed on this computer available for streaming on my Pre regardless of the IP address of the computer and whether or not the computer is actually turned on (which I don't think is possible, but I am willing to throw it out there anyway.

So, here are my questions--feel free to answer any or all of them, and I will gladly transpose what I have learned into real, live instructions for the mere mortal to use when installing this beast of a program.

1) I have Ampache running MySql on my home computer. WHAT information do I enter into the "Account" fields on my Pre? What is the Account Name, the URL, the username, and the password? How do I find these? How do I create them if necessary?

2) How can I install Ampache on my existing internet server? It is an apache server, and I have been able to create, access and modify databases and tables in the past, but I cannot do it for this program. What needs to happen? What is the necessary information? Should I create databases and users in cPanel first and then install the Ampache software?

3) Where do I put my music, assuming this whole thing works out eventually? If I have heretofore been running iTunes, then should I upload my whole iTunes music folder to the "catalog" section of Ampache (the one accessible using https://localhost)? Should I upload each subfolder as a different catalog? Should I arrange it before putting it on Ampache--as in, by artist or media-type or title?

4) How do podcasts or other subscription-based (XML) files work with this program? Can I have my podcasts or other XML automatically sync with my Ampache files? Can i listen to them through AmpachePre?

And before anyone asks, I am running Windows XP s.p.3 on my home computer, and have a relatively small music folder (about 4 gigs, including audiobooks and podcasts). I use MySql through cPanel 11 in order to manage my web server files. My CHMOD is set to "777" and I am able to access and modify everything on the server. My Pre is brand new, using the latest OS. I am running a number of patches, but I have yet to receive any kind of error suggesting that a patch is interfering. I installed my patches and applications using WebOsQuickInstall, and I keep them up to date through PreWare.

____

By the way, I'm not sure why no one has answered the request for a "For Dummies" version of the instructions, but I would like to reiterate the need for such a document. Ampache has no instructions on their web page, and the instructions of Xampp are difficult at best. I would be more than willing to write down detailed instructions for the less-than-1337 Pre-owning public, if only I could figure out how to run the darn thing myself.

Thanks in advance for your help, and thanks for reading this beast of a post.
    Quote Originally Posted by kydodson View Post
    My intention was to use Ampache mobile to access my music files through my web server so that i don't need to take up space on my Pre. I assumed that this program would allow me an interface through which I may stream music onto my Pre, but this doesn't seem to be the case. If I am wrong, and the program simply doesn't do that, please stop reading here and reply lettimg me know that I have completely misunderstood, and put me out of my misery with this program. If I'm right, and this is possible, keep reading...
    It does allow you to stream your music onto your Pre, so keep at it.

My main computer is a laptop, so it is neither always on nor always running from the same IP address, so running the Ampache server off of this computer is a bad idea. I will not be able to reliably access this hard drive, and the server settings (IP, etc.) will always be changing depending on where I am. I already own a domain, and I am already familiar with creating databases and tables through cPanel, so the whole concept of MySql is not the problem I am having. The problem is how to get Ampache mobile to look for, find, and stream music off of MY Sql database (as in the ones I created, on the internet) and not off of my local hard drive on my computer. Or, barring that, I need a way to have my music files that are housed on this computer available for streaming on my Pre regardless of the IP address of the computer and whether or not the computer is actually turned on (which I don't think is possible, but I am willing to throw it out there anyway.
    Ampache is a PHP application run by your webserver, it is what has access to the SQL data base. The applications on the Pre access this information by talking to the webserver which in turn talks to the database.

So, here are my questions--feel free to answer any or all of them, and I will gladly transpose what I have learned into real, live instructions for the mere mortal to use when installing this beast of a program.

1) I have Ampache running MySql on my home computer. WHAT information do I enter into the "Account" fields on my Pre? What is the Account Name, the URL, the username, and the password? How do I find these? How do I create them if necessary?
    The Account name is just a name that you want to call the account, you may call it "My Music" or something along those lines. The URL is the url of your webserver. Username and Password are for an account on Ampache.

2) How can I install Ampache on my existing internet server? It is an apache server, and I have been able to create, access and modify databases and tables in the past, but I cannot do it for this program. What needs to happen? What is the necessary information? Should I create databases and users in cPanel first and then install the Ampache software?
    You are much closer than you realize. The one question I have is this, is your webserver hosted? and thus offsite? I ask this because the webserver needs access to your music files.

Ampache is PHP/SQL app that you place in the hosted directory of your webserver (apache). From there on out you access it via a web browser. It has a installation procedure for connecting to your database, and indexing your music into that database.

3) Where do I put my music, assuming this whole thing works out eventually? If I have heretofore been running iTunes, then should I upload my whole iTunes music folder to the "catalog" section of Ampache (the one accessible using https://localhost)? Should I upload each subfolder as a different catalog? Should I arrange it before putting it on Ampache--as in, by artist or media-type or title?
    How you manage your music is completely up to you. I have mine on network share that the server accesses. You can copy it to your webserver if you like. The key is that the server needs access to the songs at all times.

I add mine as one big catalog and Ampache takes care of the rest.

4) How do podcasts or other subscription-based (XML) files work with this program? Can I have my podcasts or other XML automatically sync with my Ampache files? Can i listen to them through AmpachePre?
    Not as of yet, Ampache wont automatically download podcasts. You could set something up, I'd recommend using drPodder for the time being and focus on getting your server working.

Fains original pdf guide is the closet thing we have to a guide for dummies
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Thanks for you answer.

Yes, my server is hosted, and therefore always online. I would really prefer to run it off the server and not my laptop, so if I can get this working, then fantastic. Here's where I stand with that process:

I have installed Ampache to the root (public_html). When I call the install.php, it comes up fine and I am able to select English as my main language. Now, the roadblock--Ampache then asks me to "Insert an Ampahce Database," but it seems I am not entering the right information here, as I can't get past this step. Here's what it looks like:

desired database name: ampache
    it is prefilled for me. should I use MySql to create a database called ampache and THEN go through this process?

MySql hostname: localhost also prefilled for me.

MySql username: root
    this is what is says automatically, but I do not have such a user in mysql, so I fear this is what is messing things up. However, when I put in a username that I have already created in MySql, it doesn't work either.

MySql Administrative password: this field is blank by default.

Checkbox--Create Database used for new database? unchecked by default.

Ampache database username: ampache prefilled answer.

Ampache database user password: blank by default.

Checkbox--Overwrite existing? unchecked.

Checkbox--Use existing database? unchecked.

What information should I be putting in these fields? I am happy to create what I need to, or use my existing MySql username/password, whichever will work.

Also, where then should I put by music on the server? In the "Ampache" folder in public_html? Somewhere else?

Thanks so much for your help..
    Oh, and just fyi, I set the "Ampache" folder to "775." Should it be "777" or doesn't this matter?
    Thanks for you answer.

Yes, my server is hosted, and therefore always online. I would really prefer to run it off the server and not my laptop, so if I can get this working, then fantastic. Here's where I stand with that process:

I have installed Ampache to the root (public_html). When I call the install.php, it comes up fine and I am able to select English as my main language. Now, the roadblock--Ampache then asks me to "Insert an Ampahce Database," but it seems I am not entering the right information here, as I can't get past this step. Here's what it looks like:

desired database name: ampache
    it is prefilled for me. should I use MySql to create a database called ampache and THEN go through this process?

MySql hostname: localhost also prefilled for me.

MySql username: root
    this is what is says automatically, but I do not have such a user in mysql, so I fear this is what is messing things up. However, when I put in a username that I have already created in MySql, it doesn't work either.

MySql Administrative password: this field is blank by default.

Checkbox--Create Database used for new database? unchecked by default.

Ampache database username: ampache prefilled answer.

Ampache database user password: blank by default.

Checkbox--Overwrite existing? unchecked.

Checkbox--Use existing database? unchecked.

What information should I be putting in these fields? I am happy to create what I need to, or use my existing MySql username/password, whichever will work.

Also, where then should I put by music on the server? In the "Ampache" folder in public_html? Somewhere else?

Thanks so much for your help..
    Not sure how your host does this, if the mysql instance is on the same machine as apache localhost should work.

In the user name and password fields you will need to put a user that has the ability to create a new database and tables.

Also since your server is hosted you would have to upload any mp3s you want served to your host.

you can probably leave the other defaults.

Permissions should be fine.
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    Hallelujah! I got it to work... at least I think I did.

While I wait for my music files to upload, I figured I would post what I had to do in case someone else ends up searching for the same information. In order to get it to work, I mimicked the instructions for a Wordpress install (something I've already done many times). Rather than let Ampache create the databases and tables, I created them using MySQL and then entered the information exactly as it appeared in MySQL--prefixes and everything. The problem was (I think) that I wasn't adding in the prefixes for the databases and usernames, and it was therefore not recognizing them at all when they were called by the config. Once I wrote the config (automatically from the next page), i uploaded it to the "config" subfolder of Ampache, and was then (finally!!) able to make a username and password for Ampache itself.

(Note, if you're reading this for advice, the last username/password combination is NOT the same as the database username/password. It is a new one that you have to create to use the actual program.)

I logged in, and now, I pray, it's all set.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate your patience.
    Oh, one more question, or rather a suggestion:

Why isn't the Ampache installation more like a Wordpress install anyway? Having wrestled with it for the better part of two days, I think that most of the problem was really created by some of the confusing language in the installation (from install.php). With Wordpress, you are asked to download and edit your config.php, filling in the relevant information--but there are instructions provided in that config file (commented out) that clarify exactly what the user is supposed to be doing, and from where to get the information for each step. I can see now that the Ampache config is similar, so why the confusing GUI for creating the config file? Notebook++ worked fine for me...

Just a thought. I know you're not responsible, but I figured I would throw it out there anyway.

Thanks again!
    Oh, one more question, or rather a suggestion:

Why isn't the Ampache installation more like a Wordpress install anyway? Having wrestled with it for the better part of two days, I think that most of the problem was really created by some of the confusing language in the installation (from install.php). With Wordpress, you are asked to download and edit your config.php, filling in the relevant information--but there are instructions provided in that config file (commented out) that clarify exactly what the user is supposed to be doing, and from where to get the information for each step. I can see now that the Ampache config is similar, so why the confusing GUI for creating the config file? Notebook++ worked fine for me...

Just a thought. I know you're not responsible, but I figured I would throw it out there anyway.

Thanks again!
    Nice Work! Every LAMP is a bit different in its installation, Gallery 2 is pretty similar to Ampache just a lot better executed. For gallery you give it temporary write access it it writes the config file itself.

If you have suggestions for Ampache i'd post them on ampache.org. Not many of the creators of Ampache read these forums so your suggestions will go unnoticed.

The thing with installation of one of these apps is that its only complicated one time, after that it goes really quick.

The songs are getting the wrong album art any reason that is happening? and what is the fix for it?
  16.    #936  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    The songs are getting the wrong album art any reason that is happening? and what is the fix for it?
    Not sure, I have not noticed this. Are they coming up in Ampaches web interface with the wrong art?

yes
  18.    #938  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    yes
    o' click the edit icon next to the album. You will be given a option to change the album art from either a url or a localfile on your computer.
    Hello, I have been working with bjgeiser and mbetter in the Ampache Mobile forums to determine a method to transcode MP3 to AAC for Windows users so that the benefits of a lower bitrate can be met. So far we have determined that if you use Linux for sure you can do it because aacPlusenc supports both "stdin" and "stdout", but for the Windows binary that is available at MP4tools has a broken "stdin" feature, so my search began for something compareable. Unfortunately the only utility I found so far that does MP3 to AAC while having both "stdin" and "stdout" from the command line is FAAC, which produces Low Complexity AAC, not AAC+ (sigh, what can you do). So far I have a transcode line:

transcode_mp3 = true
    transcode_mp3_target = m4a

; These are the commands that will be run to transcode the file

transcode_cmd_mp3 = "C:\audiosys\mp3splt -qnf %FILE% %OFFSET% %EOF% -o - | C:\audiosys\lame --mp3input -S --decode - - | C:\audiosys\faac -b %SAMPLE% --mpeg-vers 4 -o -"
    Also, upon bjgeiser and mbetter advise I have modified the song.class.php

case 'aac':
    case 'mp4':
    case 'm4a':
    $this->mime = "audio/mp4";
    to

case 'aac'
    case 'mp4':
    case 'm4a':
    $this->mime = "audio/aacp";
    What I've been able to confirm is that it does send a file through ampache to the handset client (Ampache Mobile/AmpachPre), but neither will play the stream. I've expirimented with different options for FAAC, including leaving it as an MPEG-2 AAC file and changing the transcode target files to AAC and mp4 as well as the MIME types to AAC, AAC-LC, m4a, mp4.... so far it still loads but won't play. Any assistance from the community would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully once this is finished, step by step instructions can be given for Windows users transcoding MP3 to AAC.
    I would be very much appreciative of a guide on how to transcoding mp3 to AAC, I've looked around a little bit, but gotten lazy and decided to just re-encode from AAC to mp3.