Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    @worthb, when do you expect we'd get a first taste of adding group sms/email by just picking from the address book? that's the one feature that's most valuable, that can't be done yet. dgQuick Cuts has it, but you have to manually enter every single address so it's not really a viable solution for me. thx.

btw. i like the new icon with the hand.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    @worthb, when do you expect we'd get a first taste of adding group sms/email by just picking from the address book?
    un_designer,
    I've been busy the last few days chasing down a couple of bugs and cleaning up the interface. After I get things the way I want them, I will work on adding new features.

I have found that the current SDK does not allow for multiple sms addresses in a launchpoint file, but I'm hoping that is resolved in a future update. Group email will be possible, though, and I guess you could even do texting with 5555551212@messaging.sprintpcs.com type email addresses, but you would need to know the correct carrier address to add to each mobile number.

btw. i like the new icon with the hand.
    Thanks, I do too. Big props to sdmeier for the hard work on the icon. Here is the final version:
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
    I created some launch points but now want to delete them. How do I remove them from my launch page? Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by tallman2 View Post
    I created some launch points but now want to delete them. How do I remove them from my launch page? Thx
    Hold down the orange button on your keyboard and then tap the icon you want deleted.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Announcement: LaunchPad is now officially know as LaunchPoint. The first release of LaunchPoint, version 0.5.0, is available in the homebrew app catalog: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/launchpad

LaunchPoint has received a major visual overhaul. Please let me know what you think of the changes.

Thanks to sdmeier for the new program icon, and thanks to PreFix for help stomping out bugs.
    what happens when we have a facebook contact as a launch point and their pic changes? does the launchpoint change aswell?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    what happens when we have a facebook contact as a launch point and their pic changes? does the launchpoint change aswell?
    With the current limitations of the webOS SDK (intended to protect the privacy of your contacts) you, the user of the phone, must select a contact from the people picker (the list of all of your contacts) before a program such as LaunchPoint has access to the contact info. LaunchPoint can not go back later and ask for that contact's updated info, you must select the contact again from the list. This may (hopefully) change with future webOS updates, but for now, simply delete the launchpoint and recreate it. I don't like this, but it's the best that's available for now.

I am adding my voice (along with other developers) to Palm to request a better solution for this issue.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Announcing release 0.6.0 of LaunchPoint!

Release Notes for Version: 0.6.0 - Released 9/9/2009

Changes:
    Fixed bug where AOL avatar images using .gif format were causing a default icon ("moon" icon). They now are assigned the appropriate LaunchPoint icon depending on the LaunchPoint type. All launchpoints created should now display a contact photo or the appropriate LaunchPoint icon (phone, email or messaging). If you get the moon icon for any contact after upgrading to version 0.6.0, please let me know.

Please Help! : I'm preparing to submit LaunchPoint to Palm for consideration for the official App Catalog. Please let me know of any issues you have with the current version (ver. 0.6.0). New features will be added in upcoming releases, but for now I have to focus on the base feature set and make sure it's as good as possible. Is the flow of the program logical? Do I need more explanation for first time users? Any other feedback?

There have been a lot of downloads recently, but very little feedback here on the forum. Hopefully that means there are plenty of satisfied LaunchPoint users out there.
    I would love to be able to tap on a contact as a launchpoint and have your app ask me if I would like to call them or text them. I don't want to have 2 separate launchpoints for the same contact.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    repost
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I think the application works very well now as it is. Seems to be bug-free with the new version, good graphics, etc. It has very basic functionality that works well which is probably why the lack of feedback.

before i really use it on a regular basis, however, i need a consolidation of phone/sms/email for each contact (like I mentioned before). i can't justify having 3 icons taking up room in my launcher for every single one of my main contacts.

additionally, once it hits the palm app catalog many of the people won't have tweaked their phone to be able to add additional launcher pages (or 4x4). consolidating the icons would help. however, adding the option to add launcher pages within your program would also be nice. I'm guessing this is probably not something Palm will allow in a program but is a huge part of usability for your app.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I would love to be able to tap on a contact as a launchpoint and have your app ask me if I would like to call them or text them. I don't want to have 2 separate launchpoints for the same contact.
    Of all the proposed new features I may have discussed in the past, this is currently my top priority. Development has already been started on this feature and I should be announcing something soon.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    Of all the proposed new features I may have discussed in the past, this is currently my top priority. Development has already been started on this feature and I should be announcing something soon.
    After tapping a contact, however, I would not want to wait the 3 or so seconds that it normally takes to open an application. Part of what is nice about your app is how quick it responds.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyr View Post
    I think the application works very well now as it is. Seems to be bug-free with the new version, good graphics, etc. It has very basic functionality that works well which is probably why the lack of feedback.
    I was hoping that was the case, but it's nice to hear it from somebody else. Thanks for the feedback.
    before i really use it on a regular basis, however, i need a consolidation of phone/sms/email for each contact (like I mentioned before). i can't justify having 3 icons taking up room in my launcher for every single one of my main contacts.
    Yes, I've found the same thing in my own use. Again, top priority. I think this will be a game changer.

....adding the option to add launcher pages within your program would also be nice
    I'm also experimenting with this as well. Not sure if I will incorporate this into LaunchPoint or make it a separate app. I just hate to complicate the simplicity of LaunchPoint. If I offered both as separate apps, each priced under $2.00, I guess that would let people choose one or the other if they wouldn't necessarily use both features. Now I need to come up with another app name. Here we go again. I must say, though, this has been a fun ride so far.
    yes yes, I am sorry for jumping the gun on those posts. I have been jumping back and forth to this thread through out the day at work and missed those previous posts. again sorry for the reposts.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    yes yes, I am sorry for jumping the gun on those posts. I have been jumping back and forth to this thread through out the day at work and missed those previous posts. again sorry for the reposts.
    sorry, that repost message posted was not intended for you. I accidentally posted the same message twice but changed the first one to say repost.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyr View Post
    After tapping a contact, however, I would not want to wait the 3 or so seconds that it normally takes to open an application. Part of what is nice about your app is how quick it responds.
    Well, I will never take away the current implementation of launchpoints that open the phone, email and messaging directly. How else could I claim that there is no faster way to dial, email or text?

I do think, though, that a usage model that provides a choice would appeal to many that currently choose not to use LaunchPoint. That's why it will be an option for each launchpoint created. You will have the option to create direct launchpoints or a combined launchpoint. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    I'm also experimenting with this as well. Not sure if I will incorporate this into LaunchPoint or make it a separate app. I just hate to complicate the simplicity of LaunchPoint. If I offered both as separate apps, each priced under $2.00, I guess that would let people choose one or the other if they wouldn't necessarily use both features. Now I need to come up with another app name. Here we go again. I must say, though, this has been a fun ride so far.
    That's a tough call on having a separate app since it is pretty crucial to LaunchPoint. You might getting knocked pretty hard (in the ratings and reviews) of the Palm app catalog without it. maybe you should have the basic "Add/Delete Launcher Page" in LaunchPoint then create a separate Launcher Page App that also includes this and adds additional launcher page functionality such as:
    1. Ability to re-order launcher pages (so you don't have to drag all icons from one page to another.
    2. Change the color/background of launcher page (maybe on a page-to-page basis)
    3. Add a Title to each page (maybe at the bottom of the launcher page where the you see the page indicator marks)
    4. Change the page indicator marks to numbers
    I don't think Worthb is going to be able to change anything when it comes to the launcher. That stuff is pretty much set in stone and that means to make these changes you would have to patch the launcher javascript which to some would be a no no.

What you are talking about with adding a page is the same thing as adding a scene to the app that will let you choose which person to call. This has already been done. The sweet feature here is adding the contact to the launcher so there is no need for an app window to show the contacts.

I think the best way to do this would be to change the idea a little. Not so much set a launch point for SMS, email and dial, but think of the idea of adding contacts directly the launcher with the ability to add the sms, dial and email directly when selecting the contact.

If you were to just set to dial, then tap it and it calls the person. If you set it to dial and sms, bam give a little popup or card saying which to do with a time out to do the default.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I don't think Worthb is going to be able to change anything when it comes to the launcher. That stuff is pretty much set in stone and that means to make these changes you would have to patch the launcher javascript which to some would be a no no.

What you are talking about with adding a page is the same thing as adding a scene to the app that will let you choose which person to call. This has already been done. The sweet feature here is adding the contact to the launcher so there is no need for an app window to show the contacts.

I think the best way to do this would be to change the idea a little. Not so much set a launch point for SMS, email and dial, but think of the idea of adding contacts directly the launcher with the ability to add the sms, dial and email directly when selecting the contact.

If you were to just set to dial, then tap it and it calls the person. If you set it to dial and sms, bam give a little popup or card saying which to do with a time out to do the default.
    I am not talking about adding contacts to a scene in the app. yes, this is what has been done with quick contacts, etc. which is slow and requires you to keep an application open at all times to get to your contacts. I am talking about doing the same as you with a "pop-up".

however, i think most people that use this app have created an additional page for their contacts so that they are easily accessible and not mixed in amongst 30 programs. while i don't think palm would consider allowing an app in their catalog that alters their launcher javascript, i do think it would help considerably in organizing the launchpoint contacts.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast