Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Any way to set up an SMS to a particular number without having to set up a contact first?
    Dr.Grace,
    The next version will have support for direct entry of items you may not have in your contacts. This will be very useful for sms or email shortcuts for twitter, facebook, Google calendar etc. without cluttering up your contacts with extra entries. You will be able to assign a new icon from your on-phone photos or you can choose to have a generic icon assigned.

Back to your attempted work around, though, I wonder why it did not work if you had created a contact beforehand? Did you have a phone number or an email address assigned to the Google contact? After you chose the Google contact, did the phone number appear on the next dialog? There is a current issue where sms launchpoints only bring up a contact's phone number entries and not email addresses even though an email address is a valid destination for sms. (haven't tried yet but you could get around it by putting an email address in a phone number field) Again, this will be addressed in the next update, expected to be released 8/27 or 8/28.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I created a contact called "Google Event" with a mobile tel. number of 48368. In the pre's Contacts app, when I tap on the SMS button in that contact, nothing happens. However, if I send an SMS to 48368 in the messaging app, the SMS is sent and sets up the appropriate event in my Google calendar.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply.
    I created a contact called "Google Event" with a mobile tel. number of 48368. In the pre's Contacts app, when I tap on the SMS button in that contact, nothing happens. However, if I send an SMS to 48368 in the messaging app, the SMS is sent and sets up the appropriate event in my Google calendar.
    So the fact that the contacts app isn't able to send the appropriate request to the messaging app means that the messaging app must be looking for certain criteria in the parameters being passed to it (length of number, etc.). Launchpoints are basically pre-coded requests with an app target and parameters to be passed to the target app.

Now that I know that you are trying to send an sms to a 5-digit number, I can work with that and find a solution. The current sms launchpoint implementation tries to open an existing sms thread by passing a contact id and a number id, but there is another calling method that simply takes a phone number as the parameter. I'll try using that calling method and see if that works any better.

I definitely want to see this working because so many on-line services are using sms and email in this way and not having to remember the correct number or email address for all of these types of service would be very helpful, especially when services like facebook give you a unique email address to use for uploading photos, like "83769xj39s4098r@facebook.com"
    This is brilliant. Particularly for phone contacts. I've been driving around with my Pre keyboard open to type contact names in. Now I can keep it closed in the car and just tap the screen. Well Done!
    Got it, installed easy. Just started playing with it. Is it too soon to say I love it!?!
    Great APP !!!! This one button SMS is GREAT !! one of the few features I miss from the junk called instinct. are you taking donations ?
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply.
    Works for me if I add a contact with the Google short code.(also works with my bank)

Did you add it as a mobile number?
    THANK YOU for the MOST actually USEABLE, and USEFUL , and NEEDED app to really make my PRE complete!

I have just Donated! Thanks for the donation link, This is like the 3rd or 4th attempt at quick contact calling I have tried, and THIS one WILL STAY on my PRE!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobvr View Post
    Works for me if I add a contact with the Google short code.(also works with my bank)

Did you add it as a mobile number?
    Dr.Grace,
    I also had no trouble setting up a "google calendar" contact and assigning 48368 as the mobile number. I was able to click the "sms" button in the contacts app and also create a launchpoint. One thing to check would be if your webOs version is up to date (ver 1.1) using the updates app.
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    First, a sincere thank you to those who have donated to LaunchPad. I accept your generosity with a commitment to make LaunchPad the best app possible.

Request for input - SMS short codes
    A great use for LaunchPad that has been mentioned by Dr.Grace, bobvr and others are sms short codes or email links to web services, such as the short code "48368" for submitting google calendar events and "466453" for google search. I know there are many such codes for facebook, twitter, online banking, etc. In the next version I plan to have a list of these services with appropriate icons that you can simply pick from to instantly create a launchpoint with an appropriate icon.

If you use any such services that you would like to see supported, please post on this forum the sms number or email address, a description of the service, and for bonus points a link to a suitable graphic for an icon.

Please Note: DO NOT submit email address that have been assigned to identify you uniquely. These normally consist of a string of random numbers and letters followed by the domain name, ex. "83769xj39s4098r@facebook.com". There will be a separate function for creating these types of launchpoints.

I'm looking forward to your input. Thanks to all for your support.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    And thanks worthb for a great app. This one is a keeper.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Here is a link to the US Short Codes Who Is Directory:

US Common Short Codes Who Is Directory - Home
    Steve
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa View Post
    Here is a link to the US Short Codes Who Is Directory:

US Common Short Codes Who Is Directory - Home
    Steve,
    Thanks for the directory. I'm trying to get the next update of LaunchPad ready to release, so if anybody else has any suggestions you've got a bit of time to get them to me.
    Great app - just donated. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    Pimp My Pre,
    Both the web browser and the contacts app have the "add to launcher" menu option. However, the launchpoint created from the contacts app opens to the contacts app when clicked. When driving and using my pre mounted on my touchstone (with my bluetooth handsfree of course), I want to click an icon and have it dial immediately. I don't want to open the contacts app first and then click on the number I want to dial. Same thing with email and sms links. They open the email and messaging app directly without going through the contacts app first. Those of us coming from the treo phones are just used to a minimal amount of clicks/taps to accomplish a task, especially when using the phone one-handed.

kdogokc,
    If you check one of my recent posts, or the recently updated op, you'll see that group sms and email launchpoints are on the list of "coming soon" features. I've seen a lot of interest for group sms support in this and many other threads and I think it will be a great addition to LaunchPad.
    Honestly, I wanted to burn your app with this information, but looking into your reply, your app does add a level of funtionality that the pre did not address. Kudos! You win!(this time)
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp My Pre View Post
    Honestly, I wanted to burn your app with this information, but looking into your reply, your app does add a level of funtionality that the pre did not address. Kudos! You win!(this time)
    OK - thanks. I'll look forward to next time
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    This app is simply AMAZING!!!!
    I haven't seen an answer yet to the question of how to manage the pictures that show up as the launcher icon. I've created 3 shortcuts and 2 are showing up as moons, one as the little rocketship icon. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    love it... very functional.. great homebrews keep on coming... (hey, Palm... are you watching this??) Maybe this is what Palm had in mind. Now hopefully they can turn their attention to the OS.

BTW: A bit off subject but gotta ask , does anyone know for sure if applying a new OS release will it wipe out all homebrews, tweaks, hacks, etc.. i shudder to think of putting all my customzing work back on it
    If uninstalled it keeps the launch shortcuts and I cannot remove it!!!
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast