Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I really like where you plan on going with this app!!!!! I agree with the other people that this app at its current state is jus for fun but when you update it with the stuff your planning on adding then I think it will really be awesome! Thanx!! Keep up the good work! =D
    At the risk of sounding like a naysayer:

What exactly is the point of emulating the UI of device A on device B? I've never understood any of this. Just like people 'skinning' their Windows environment to look like Mac OS X. If you want a Mac then why not buy one? Same with Android, or iPhone or whatever other experience one would want to try and 'recreate' on the Pre. I'm sure someone else is doing a 'Palm Pre Experience' on Android.

I don't get it. I see this as wasted energy which would be better used to develop more useful applications.

Don't shoot me, just my personal opinion...
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a naysayer:

What exactly is the point of emulating the UI of device A on device B? I've never understood any of this. Just like people 'skinning' their Windows environment to look like Mac OS X. If you want a Mac then why not buy one? Same with Android, or iPhone or whatever other experience one would want to try and 'recreate' on the Pre. I'm sure someone else is doing a 'Palm Pre Experience' on Android.

I don't get it. I see this as wasted energy which would be better used to develop more useful applications.

Don't shoot me, just my personal opinion...
    why pick between two devices when you can have both? on my old htc touch I dual booted with android all the time. However, there were still times when I wanted to use winmo to use some gps services or specific apps. the same thing applies here. there are a lot of advantages to the pre, but andriod also has a few things over the pre.

also, this isn't wasted energy at all. most of us just program for fun and if making an android emulator is fun for dolphinking (which i'd imagine it is cause there is no way this gets approved by palm for the app catalog) it is anything but wasted energy.

great job DK and I hope you get this to the level of completeness of the instinct app.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    why pick between two devices when you can have both? on my old htc touch I dual booted with android all the time. However, there were still times when I wanted to use winmo to use some gps services or specific apps. the same thing applies here. there are a lot of advantages to the pre, but andriod also has a few things over the pre.
    Oh wait... I DO see the advantage of dual boot! I've had Linux/Windows PC's and I use Windows on my Mac as well when I have to. But that's not mimicking the look and feel. It's running the real thing!

I too am stoked about the prospect of Android being ported to OMAP so we can install it on our Pre's to play. And... dare I hope for the ability to have my pre dual boot WebOS AND Android? woo hoo! To me that's an entirely different thing.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Oh wait... I DO see the advantage of dual boot! I've had Linux/Windows PC's and I use Windows on my Mac as well when I have to. But that's not mimicking the look and feel. It's running the real thing!

I too am stoked about the prospect of Android being ported to OMAP so we can install it on our Pre's to play. And... dare I hope for the ability to have my pre dual boot WebOS AND Android? woo hoo! To me that's an entirely different thing.
    are there people actually working on getting andriod ported over? it has to be possible...
    kmax12 I read some rumors, that's all I know. Technically I think it should be possible to run Android on the Pre. But it WOULD turn it into a completely different phone. It would not run any WebOS app, just Android stuff.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d0lph1nK1ng View Post
    I assume htc sense ui is copyrighted, but I was thinking android is open source so I can do that one
    i asked because i saw people have done it on the iphone thought it would be cool to have it on the pre
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Ok, I am an ignoramous when it comes to computer talk. What is Android, what does it do to the phone. I don't understand the term. Does it simply allow for landscape view?
    I've never really played with an Android based phone, so it will be interesting to see how this works/looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    Ok, I am an ignoramous when it comes to computer talk. What is Android, what does it do to the phone. I don't understand the term. Does it simply allow for landscape view?
    It is an operating system by Google, just like how WebOS (the Pre's operating system) is made by Palm. It is just another user interface that allows you to use the features of the phone and apps similar to those that are/will be coming out for the Pre.
    now we need the htc hero version lol
    Very Nice
    sent from my Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    oh wow !! I don't understand why you would even want android on a pre to begin with but to each his own....

I on the other hand am not a fan of the android platform and would prefer web OS over it any day... if you like android you should purchase a "my touch" or a G1 or perhaps a "hero"...
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorphee View Post
    I've never really played with an Android based phone, so it will be interesting to see how this works/looks.
    all it does is emulate the android UI... nothing special.. you cant even move the clock around like in the real android OS..

and the home screen goes into landscape mode as well..
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    all it does is emulate the android UI... nothing special.. you cant even move the clock around like in the real android OS..

and the home screen goes into landscape mode as well..
    it's just a v0.1.0 release... i plan on building much more onto it, but atm i have been stuck working on other apps
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    love it, thanks!
  17.    #57  
    I've made some progress but this app is on hold for more important and useful apps that have a chance at the app catalog
    Nothing new on this? Still looking forward to an update

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
  19.    #59  
    will be fixing the time limit this wkend along with a small update (links to many more apps and pull-out menu/notifications bar)
  20.    #60  
    new version released

EDIT 9/27 (v0.2.0):
    - Moved back expiration date to 11/1
    - New full draggable app menu
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast