Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Moderator Note:
    This thread is about developing a specialized reader application.
    Any post about anything other than this application development will be deleted.

This is a variation on the Simple Bible app that now includes the full set of LDS (Mormon) Scriptures.

In addition to the Old Testament and the New Testament in the King James Version, it also includes the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. My hope is to include other useful works in the future as well.

It is based on the Simple Bible 0.8.9 code and does have a few known issues.

The IPK can be found here:

http://www.wonko.net/wonko/net.wonko..._0.8.9_all.ipk

Known Issues:

1. There is a freeze-up on the book selector when trying to go back without selecting a book that was previously documented in Simple Bible. They have solved this and when I update to the latest code it should be resolved here too.

2. The Chapter Selector is not working on the BoM, D&C and PoGP. This will take some changes in the underlying code, and the guys at Simple Bible are aware of the problem.

3. Not a big issue as the chapter selector isn't working anyway, but the chapters are not displaying correctly in the D&C.

4. When you exit the program, the last Testament looked at is selected, but the books shown are from the NT. Clicking off the book and back solves this for the moment.

5. There are various formatting errors (I get boxes for punctuation occasionally). I will get to these if someone else doesn't do it for me first.

Otherwise it is quite useful and a should evolve with the underlying code provided by the guys at Simple Bible. The link to their thread is here:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...e-app-pre.html

I want to really thank them for all the time and effort they have put in on this project.
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/21/2009 at 02:01 PM.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Great start, several friends and I have been waiting for this for weeks. Of course we need chapter selection running and specific verse selection would be nice.
    Thanks for the hard work
    I've been wanting this. Thanks!
    I'll volunteer to help however I can, but I don't have any programming experience so I don't know if I would be any help. Thanks for this, and here's to hoping you'll get the Priesthood/RS manuals on there as well.
    Hey, nice! I've just been using lds.org, but reception is spotty at church. How am I supposed to survive 3 hours of church without being able to check out precentral? sheez...
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Does this app load all the scriptures to the Pre, or does it look up text online? The other LDS scripture app, Daily Scriptures, looks online. It also has hymn lyrics. That would be a nice feature to have here.
    Last edited by jbluther; 08/21/2009 at 04:08 PM.
  7.    #7  
    This loads it on the Pre. I usually go into airplane mode at church, so I wanteed it on the phone.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Wonko,

Great app. Looking forward to more data. I also have an ipod touch for now. I use a scripture app called readscriptures and is found on the itunes store. I Paid 14.99 for it and it is worth every penny. Hopefully you will be able to have all the resources this app has. I'm ready to ditch the itouch!!

Thanks again for starting this useful app!!
    I was planning to develop a spanish bible reader.
    But your product already does the hard part.
    How can I contribute to develop spanish content?

Is the format that the reader supports available to create additional content?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    This app made me look like a complet moron, i was reading out loud in church when all of a sudden the verse im reading cuts off, except i didnt realize that, then it does it again, and i get a few weird looks, i finally notice but its late, no offense, your app is missing content, i guess thats why its still in beta
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    complete*
  12.    #12  
    Where are the problems? I'll get them foxed asap. A lot of the conversion was done manually, so the odds of errors go up.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    1 nephi 7:1, is missing at the end of it- daughters to cwife, that they might raise up dseed unto the Lord in the land of promise.

1 nephi 11:1 is missing at the end of it- 'and upon which I never had before set my foot.'

thats all i noticed the other day,
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcativa View Post
    I was planning to develop a spanish bible reader.
    But your product already does the hard part.
    How can I contribute to develop spanish content?

Is the format that the reader supports available to create additional content?
    the simple bible is pretty close to supporting plug-and-play content. once the simple bible is there, it is just a matter of formatting any book content appropriately and putting the formatted files on the media drive of your pre.

the formatting is a tedious process, unless you already have your content in a database or you have great search/replace or scripting skills.

we are making one or 2 changes to the content format, so i can not describe the format until early next week, but then we can collaborate with yourself and wonko and anyone else that wants to help with formatting.

if you can point me to where your spanish content is, i would really appreciate it, so i can get a jump start at looking at the task ahead.
    Actually, I planned to do web scrapping from bible gateway, but i don' know how legal it is to use standard versions.
    Good job everyone keep going. I'm excited to try this out.
    any update on when this will be available from the church?
  18.    #18  
    not yet, but there is a working alpha that is looking really nice.
    Good to hear. I'm excited!
    let us know what the latest is.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast