Page 84 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3474798081828384858687888994 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2357
  1. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1661  
    OK, I've got background notifications working in two different ways and I need to pick one (I think.)

    1. "dashboard only" - when you close the card a dashboard notification stays open and keeps the application open. If you get a new notification it will come up there and you can click on it to reopen the card. If you swipe the card away it stops polling.
    pros: you can easily stop it from polling by swiping it away, you can easily relaunch the app by clicking the notification, , might use less CPU because it doesn't need to relaunch every time it polls
    cons: The application uses _some_ memory between polls, it uses a little bit of screen realestate because the tiny "you have a notification" icon at the bottom is there

    2. Timeouts - the application closes completely, but reopens (in the background) every x minutes to poll. If you have anything new, it does a notification to let you know.
    Pros: application is completely closed between polls, does not have icon or anything
    Cons: there is no easy way to stop it from polling (best case scenario, you'd need to relaunch the application and tell it to stop), might use more CPU because it needs to relaunch the application every time it polls.

    What do people think? I'm leaning towards 1.
  2. Nismode's Avatar
    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #1662  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    OK, I've got background notifications working in two different ways and I need to pick one (I think.)

    1. "dashboard only" - when you close the card a dashboard notification stays open and keeps the application open. If you get a new notification it will come up there and you can click on it to reopen the card. If you swipe the card away it stops polling.
    pros: you can easily stop it from polling by swiping it away, you can easily relaunch the app by clicking the notification, , might use less CPU because it doesn't need to relaunch every time it polls
    cons: The application uses _some_ memory between polls, it uses a little bit of screen realestate because the tiny "you have a notification" icon at the bottom is there

    2. Timeouts - the application closes completely, but reopens (in the background) every x minutes to poll. If you have anything new, it does a notification to let you know.
    Pros: application is completely closed between polls, does not have icon or anything
    Cons: there is no easy way to stop it from polling (best case scenario, you'd need to relaunch the application and tell it to stop), might use more CPU because it needs to relaunch the application every time it polls.

    What do people think? I'm leaning towards 1.
    GDial Pro I think uses 2. It is better imo. But it also gives you an option to tell how often it will poll.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

    Palm Pre!
  3. #1663  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    OK, I've got background notifications working in two different ways and I need to pick one (I think.)

    1. "dashboard only" - when you close the card a dashboard notification stays open and keeps the application open. If you get a new notification it will come up there and you can click on it to reopen the card. If you swipe the card away it stops polling.
    pros: you can easily stop it from polling by swiping it away, you can easily relaunch the app by clicking the notification, , might use less CPU because it doesn't need to relaunch every time it polls
    cons: The application uses _some_ memory between polls, it uses a little bit of screen realestate because the tiny "you have a notification" icon at the bottom is there

    2. Timeouts - the application closes completely, but reopens (in the background) every x minutes to poll. If you have anything new, it does a notification to let you know.
    Pros: application is completely closed between polls, does not have icon or anything
    Cons: there is no easy way to stop it from polling (best case scenario, you'd need to relaunch the application and tell it to stop), might use more CPU because it needs to relaunch the application every time it polls.

    What do people think? I'm leaning towards 1.
    Definitely #1.
  4. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1664  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismode View Post
    GDial Pro I think uses 2. It is better imo. But it also gives you an option to tell how often it will poll.
    FriendsFlow gives you an option of how often it will poll.

    My concern is that (for example) I don't want FriendsFlow polling and making noise while I'm asleep. I want to be able to stop it from polling. I can't think of a good user interface to do with with 1.

    GDial Pro might not be like that. It may be much rarer that you don't want it to poll. (what does it poll for anyway?)
  5. #1665  
    #2 is better. It doesn't take up screen real estate and if you add an option to determine how often it polls, everyone can make up his or her own mind about how much battery drain he or she want. It is not difficult to launch the app and disable notifications if you add a basic on/off toggle.

    Maybe you could add a setting such as "Do not poll during the hours of x:xx PM and x:xx AM" so it won't bother people while they sleep.
  6. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1666  
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    Maybe you could add a setting such as "Do not poll during the hours of x:xx PM and x:xx AM" so it won't bother people while they sleep.
    What about during work meetings? Other times you don't want to be distracted by constant buzzing (I'm assuming you turn it to silent)
  7. schaplin's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #1667  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    OK, I've got background notifications working in two different ways and I need to pick one (I think.)

    1. "dashboard only" - when you close the card a dashboard notification stays open and keeps the application open. If you get a new notification it will come up there and you can click on it to reopen the card. If you swipe the card away it stops polling.
    pros: you can easily stop it from polling by swiping it away, you can easily relaunch the app by clicking the notification, , might use less CPU because it doesn't need to relaunch every time it polls
    cons: The application uses _some_ memory between polls, it uses a little bit of screen realestate because the tiny "you have a notification" icon at the bottom is there

    2. Timeouts - the application closes completely, but reopens (in the background) every x minutes to poll. If you have anything new, it does a notification to let you know.
    Pros: application is completely closed between polls, does not have icon or anything
    Cons: there is no easy way to stop it from polling (best case scenario, you'd need to relaunch the application and tell it to stop), might use more CPU because it needs to relaunch the application every time it polls.

    What do people think? I'm leaning towards 1.
    I like #1. That is how my Twee works. But then again, I don't have a program that works like #2. Either way, really, I'm just stoked about having background notices!!
  8. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #1668  
    I'd vote for #1.. although personally I'd not use this feature. (i.e. would rather manually check..)

    ..But of course preference would be to have BOTH - and be able to have an option for one or the other (?)

    I don't like notification icons.. but then again it's a bit annoying how drpodder just pops up when it's time for it to run..
    -m
  9. DrSuSE's Avatar
    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    #1669  
    I am not worried about which method is used, but it would be cool if the notifications responded to app interaction similarly to others. By this, I mean that if I have a FF notification and go to the app because it is already an open card the notification doesn't seem to recognize that like other app notifications do.

    Thanks.
  10. #1670  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    What about during work meetings? Other times you don't want to be distracted by constant buzzing (I'm assuming you turn it to silent)
    That's exactly what I'd do. As soon as I get to work, I put my phone on silent. I get email and sms notifications all day while I'm at work, but they don't interrupt anything because the sound is off. FriendsFlow would just be additional notifications that I could see, but wouldn't hear.

    At any rate, it's not a huge deal to me what option you choose since I probably won't be using them often. I just think that #2 is a cleaner, more efficient option. I myself do not like to lose any screen real estate if it's not absolutely necessary.
  11. schaplin's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #1671  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    I am not worried about which method is used, but it would be cool if the notifications responded to app interaction similarly to others. By this, I mean that if I have a FF notification and go to the app because it is already an open card the notification doesn't seem to recognize that like other app notifications do.

    Thanks.
    I noticed this too & was curious if I was the only one.
  12. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1672  
    OK, I'll work on making #2 work. (It is actually somewhat easier) We'll see how that goes.

    Probably won't be done until tomorrow though.
  13. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1673  
    Or, actually, maybe I can give users the choice.
  14. #1674  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    Or, actually, maybe I can give users the choice.
    Its better u can users the option of 1 or 2 in the preferences...id prefer # 2 so will a huge variety but its better for the most part to have a choice....i know all twitter apps have the polling every 5 10 15 etc minutes...and i would like that for facebook...i dont like having a dashboard notification...but maybe someone does so thats y having those 2 options would be gr8....

    EDIT: also for #2 u can have it stop polling after a certain amount of polls ignored? thats how tweed and twee works...if i stop clicking on the notifications or swipe them away after a certain amount of time it stops alerting me
    Last edited by maxima2k53; 10/26/2009 at 04:27 PM.
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  15. #1675  
    Quote Originally Posted by schaplin View Post
    I like #1. That is how my Twee works. But then again, I don't have a program that works like #2. Either way, really, I'm just stoked about having background notices!!
    doesnt both twee and tweed have the #2 notifications? im certain they for the polling notifications
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  16. Habidabad's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    #1676  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    What would be wrong with us being able to view the live feed in FF vs the news feed. I mean the news feed is fine but the so and so is friends with so and so etc that is in the live feed is a nice addition that was missed when the live feed was not available for some time. I actually discovered a number of people I know that I didn't know were on facebook when it was originally available. And now that it is back I'm sure as time goes on I'll discover other people I know on facebook because of the live feed. I really hope that we will be able to view the live feed in FF.
    Boo! Hiss! I hate all that extra garbage! Just my opinion!
  17. #1677  
    Just to clarify... FriendsFlow is showing what the Facebook website calls "Status Updates". You can test this by opening the regular website and on the right hand side where you have options such as "News Feed", your networks, "Photos", "Links", etc., click the "More" option and you'll see "Status Updates". If you click that, it's the equivalent to the way the News Feed was before they implemented the change.

    If you want to revert Facebook to the way it was before the change and use the "Status Updates" on the website, just drag it to the top above where "News Feed" is and it'll be your default setting.

    Hope that clears it up for everyone that was confused.

    Update: I was wrong. The "Status Updates" does not show when someone posts a picture or a link. My apologies.
    Last edited by WillJitsu; 10/26/2009 at 05:40 PM.
  18. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1678  
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    Just to clarify... FriendsFlow is showing what the Facebook website calls "Status Updates". You can test this by opening the regular website and on the right hand side where you have options such as "News Feed", your networks, "Photos", "Links", etc., click the "More" option and you'll see "Status Updates". If you click that, it's the equivalent to the way the News Feed was before they implemented the change.

    If you want to revert Facebook to the way it was before the change and use the "Status Updates" on the website, just drag it to the top above where "News Feed" is and it'll be your default setting.

    Hope that clears it up for everyone that was confused.
    I'm pretty sure that's not true. FriendsFlow also shows posts from other applications, links, pictures, etc. I don't think those show up if you select "Status Updates" on the web page.
  19. #1679  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's not true. FriendsFlow also shows posts from other applications, links, pictures, etc. I don't think those show up if you select "Status Updates" on the web page.
    You're right. My apologies. I'll update my original post to reflect that.
  20. #1680  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    OK, I'll work on making #2 work. (It is actually somewhat easier) We'll see how that goes.

    Probably won't be done until tomorrow though.
    I'm fairly certain this is how tweed does it and in my opinion is the best way to go. I don't like things staying in the notification area long term. I like having it not there except when I have a new notification I haven't acknowledged. Once I've done that I don't like to see anything down there.

    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    Or, actually, maybe I can give users the choice.
    This would probably be the only way to satisfy everyone's preferences. If too many apps run in the background using the dashboard then it will get cluttered. So it is best if apps either use method 2 or give the users the option to pick which way it runs in the background.

    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's not true. FriendsFlow also shows posts from other applications, links, pictures, etc. I don't think those show up if you select "Status Updates" on the web page.
    So far the only thing I have noticed in the live feed not seen in FF is the so and so has become friends with so and so. So and so became a fan of. These items may be of a special category since they aren't apart of the news feed but can be seen when also visiting someone's wall. So there may be other items within that category as well.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions