Page 53 of 118 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2357
  1. #1041  
    Well according to precentral and their rumor tipster, 1st batch of paid apps hits catalog tomorrow! Sure be awesome if Grepper gets into it!
  2. #1042  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Well according to precentral and their rumor tipster, 1st batch of paid apps hits catalog tomorrow! Sure be awesome if Grepper gets into it!
    +1
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  3. #1043  
    I am still having a problem posting status updates with the Virtual Keyboard. When I am done posting my status and I hit enter and it does a line return and not post the status. I have to use the slideout Keyboard just to hit enter. I don't know if that is something you support or not.
  4. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1044  
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhreak53 View Post
    I am still having a problem posting status updates with the Virtual Keyboard. When I am done posting my status and I hit enter and it does a line return and not post the status. I have to use the slideout Keyboard just to hit enter. I don't know if that is something you support or not.
    If it works with the real keyboard and not the virtual one, it sounds like it is a problem with the virtual keyboard.

    I haven't installed the virtual keyboard, and I don't know how it works, but my guess would be that it isn't sending keypress events. The only other way I can think of to send the message would be to have a button taking up screen space....
  5. #1045  
    First off, I just want to thank you Grepper for all the hard work you're done both on the app, and on the feedbck in this thread.

    I was hoping that you'd consider extending the expiration a bit longer in consideration for those of us north of the border, in Canada. It's looking like we're going to have to wait a bit longer to be able to purchase apps, since the 1.2 upgrade didn't include the ability to add our payment info for the app store. So, it's looking like we're going to have to wait longer than you guys in the states before we can buy apps.

    I do plan on purchasing your app, once I can, but I really hope that I'll still be able to use it in the mean time.
  6. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1046  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthoras View Post
    First off, I just want to thank you Grepper for all the hard work you're done both on the app, and on the feedbck in this thread.

    I was hoping that you'd consider extending the expiration a bit longer in consideration for those of us north of the border, in Canada. It's looking like we're going to have to wait a bit longer to be able to purchase apps, since the 1.2 upgrade didn't include the ability to add our payment info for the app store. So, it's looking like we're going to have to wait longer than you guys in the states before we can buy apps.

    I do plan on purchasing your app, once I can, but I really hope that I'll still be able to use it in the mean time.
    huh. That's a good point.

    would you object to a version that connected to my server to check in? How about a version whixh checked for new beta versions and forced an update within a day? (that way only real testers would use it, I have no interest in having testers who are not using the latest version.)

    does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle future beta versions or markets without paid apps that is in xompliance with palm's licence?
  7. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #1047  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    huh. That's a good point.

    would you object to a version that connected to my server to check in? How about a version whixh checked for new beta versions and forced an update within a day? (that way only real testers would use it, I have no interest in having testers who are not using the latest version.)

    does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle future beta versions or markets without paid apps that is in xompliance with palm's licence?
    Having been in this situation several years ago, here's one way to handle it (it's a variation on something you've already planned):

    Have a different version that's for non-app catalog customers (e.g., those in Canada). To not run afoul of your agreement with Palm, it needs to be "materially different."

    One way to do this would be to limit it's use to only Bell customers (I'm assuming that there is a way check this) and call it "FriendsFlow Canada."

    You are allowed to provide beta versions of future versions of your product, although you might be advised to have some mechanism for limiting. For example, if you require beta testers to register with you, then they are "beta testers" and not simply "everyone." Anyone that's concerned about privacy need not apply to be a beta tester.

    Frankly, I think Palm's policies are too restrictive, but I understand their reasons. I expect things to shake out in the coming months, and there to be "clarification" on the policy.

    For me, I'm most upset that this handcuffs developers from releasing bug fixes. If you have a buggy product in the catalog, you cannot offer an update until Palm has pushed in through their channels. Which can take weeks or even a month or more. Who suffers? The end-users.
  8. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1048  
    Thanks, I'll reply below.

    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Having been in this situation several years ago, here's one way to handle it (it's a variation on something you've already planned):

    Have a different version that's for non-app catalog customers (e.g., those in Canada). To not run afoul of your agreement with Palm, it needs to be "materially different."

    One way to do this would be to limit it's use to only Bell customers (I'm assuming that there is a way check this) and call it "FriendsFlow Canada."
    Interesting idea. That's what I was trying to do with checking in. I believe I could find their geographic area based on the IP, and disallow US users unless they had some other reason I allowed that person specifically. (eg, they had given me feedback and PMed me here...)

    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    You are allowed to provide beta versions of future versions of your product, although you might be advised to have some mechanism for limiting. For example, if you require beta testers to register with you, then they are "beta testers" and not simply "everyone." Anyone that's concerned about privacy need not apply to be a beta tester.
    That's what I'd like to do. I just need to find a way to make that manageable.

    One idea I just had is to create a new "facebook application" called FriendsFlowBeta. Users would have to register through a website first which would give me their facebook id number. Then I could allow that facebook id number when they check in with my server.

    One of the features of FriendsFlow is that it doesn't send ME any of YOUR data, but I think having beta testers facebook id number is acceptable. (If I couldn't see your profile normally, I still couldn't.)


    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Frankly, I think Palm's policies are too restrictive, but I understand their reasons. I expect things to shake out in the coming months, and there to be "clarification" on the policy.
    I think palm probably has two camps. The lawyers and everyone else. The lawyers are doing their job protecting the company, while everyone else wants to "do no evil" and be permissive. That is quite common.

    Unfortunately there's no telling how it will shake out...

    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    For me, I'm most upset that this handcuffs developers from releasing bug fixes. If you have a buggy product in the catalog, you cannot offer an update until Palm has pushed in through their channels. Which can take weeks or even a month or more. Who suffers? The end-users.
    I'm a bit concerned about that as well. That's why it is great to have this community. I have had DOZENS of people (out of thousands) contact me with feedback and bug reports and I am pretty confident that there are no show stopper bugs. (it isn't perfect, but it is certainly very usable.)
  9. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #1049  
    I use an app that's actually been in the app catalog for a while. The developer released a bug fix weeks ago, but Palm took a long time (weeks) to post it. Worse, apparently, Palm never communicated back to the developer, who was surprised to here reports from users that they couldn't find the new version in the catalog.
  10. danstah's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #1050  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    Thanks, I'll reply below.




    One idea I just had is to create a new "facebook application" called FriendsFlowBeta. Users would have to register through a website first which would give me their facebook id number. Then I could allow that facebook id number when they check in with my server.

    One of the features of FriendsFlow is that it doesn't send ME any of YOUR data, but I think having beta testers facebook id number is acceptable. (If I couldn't see your profile normally, I still couldn't.)
    )
    I don't mind this idea at all. I think this could be a really viable way to make sure your software pushes (which you may not be able to do all the often) didn't have any bugs. I do commend you though, i have been using this pretty much daily and have not ran into a bug (a showstopper at least) for over a month. As for the look I do like the blue border with the white background and black text pictured a page or two back. I also tend to agree with most that I would rather see functionality over themes or something like that
  11. #1051  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhughes86 View Post
    At 1st I was thankful SOMEONE was working on a facebook app. Now not so much. You are more concerned about trying to make a buck now. This app is so far from being a comparable to other facebook apps on other phones yet you want people to start paying. Are you serious? I'll pay once it is a complete app. and not until. I'm not going to pay for promises.
    even though i admire and appreciate the hard work that grepper has put into this (especially when we sure dont know how to write/code for webos) i have to agree. The iPhone, BB, Android, and Palm apps are **full featured** apps and they are completely free.

    I think you deserve to be paid for your hard consistent work grepper but until its a full featured app i dont think that ANYONE should have to pay for a partial product.

    Shoot me, stab me, say whatever you want but no other platform has to pay for a complete app, and i cant justify doing so for a partial app.

    donations on the other hand are different, but this app isnt prime enough to charge for.
  12. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #1052  
    Quote Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
    even though i admire and appreciate the hard work that grepper has put into this (especially when we sure dont know how to write/code for webos) i have to agree. The iPhone, BB, Android, and Palm apps are **full featured** apps and they are completely free.
    Who wrote those apps? Did Facebook contribute to the development? Did the hardware or OS vendors (Apple, RIM, Google) contribute?
  13. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1053  
    Quote Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
    I think you deserve to be paid for your hard consistent work grepper but until its a full featured app i dont think that ANYONE should have to pay for a partial product.
    FriendsFlow is a useful product to some people therefore it is full featured. It will never take out the garbage for you or buy your wife flowers on your anniversary.


    I keep debating trying to find a way to allow beta testers to use the app for free. Thanks for the reminder about why I should not do that.
  14. #1054  
    Great program! I enjoy using it. Definitely something I would pay for if the case be.
  15. danstah's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #1055  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    It will never take out the garbage for you or buy your wife flowers on your anniversary.
    Damnit, I was really hoping for these feature soon. Way to kill my dreams grepper.This would really help me out and justify the 1.99 price
  16. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1056  
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    Damnit, I was really hoping for these feature soon. Way to kill my dreams grepper.This would really help me out and justify the 1.99 price
    The buying your wife flowers thing is actually a good idea for an app. I suppose it _could_ tie into a facebook app... it could also buy your friends birthday presents. There would be a $1 service charge of course...

    I suppose I could have made a joke saying that I already buy your wife flowers...
  17. qdigga's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #1057  
    Grepper, this app is greatly appreciated! I do have one ? though... I'm new to Homebrew and installed FF. After I get the "login" message, I just get a white screen, nothing happens (even after waiting for minutes). I used the IPK you linked that expires 10/5. OS 1.2 I uninstalled it a few times as well, with the same results. Thanks in advance for any ideas you have for me to get around this. I'm excited to use a FB app that I can actually post comments, without having to go to m.facebook.com
    Motorola Q (HORRIBLE) -> Samsung Instinct (Almost as bad as the Motorola) -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero
  18. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #1058  
    Quote Originally Posted by qdigga View Post
    Grepper, this app is greatly appreciated! I do have one ? though... I'm new to Homebrew and installed FF. After I get the "login" message, I just get a white screen, nothing happens (even after waiting for minutes). I used the IPK you linked that expires 10/5. OS 1.2 I uninstalled it a few times as well, with the same results. Thanks in advance for any ideas you have for me to get around this. I'm excited to use a FB app that I can actually post comments, without having to go to m.facebook.com
    I believe this happens if facebook's server is too slow... or something. I'd try quitting and restarting. Make sure you are on wifi... Please let me know if that works for you.
  19. qdigga's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    #1059  
    Ah, if WiFI is a must, I'll definately switch that on... Thank you for developing the app and sorry if my question was previous answered. Im a huge FB user, probably like everyone here, lol. Can't wait to purchase it and fund the cause....
    Motorola Q (HORRIBLE) -> Samsung Instinct (Almost as bad as the Motorola) -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero
  20. #1060  
    does the homebrew application work with webos 1.2 now?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions