Page 52 of 118 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2357
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upperking View Post
    when ever I try to fire the program up it says im not connected to the internet?? when in fact I am>>
    You probably need to upgrade to the latest version. Until the latest version the expiration was broken and would give you that result.
    cool it fixed it, was running a older install.. thx
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    OK, back to constructive criticism. And to show I'm still working on 1.1 (this is done with the new theming method)

Like/No like? What would you change?
    I would just stick with Black Text on White Background like the current version. When outdoors that will provide the best contrast to be able to read.
    Smartphone/PDA/MP3 History: Palm III, Handspring Visor, iPaq 37XX, iPaq 41XX, HTC PPC6700 - Current: HTC Mogul, Palm Pre, BB 8830 (work), and 32G iPod Touch 2G (oh yeah, wife's BB Curve).
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    like this?
    Much nicer! I like that the comments are still black on white, and this addresses the OP's comments on keeping each entry separated.

Nice Work!
    Smartphone/PDA/MP3 History: Palm III, Handspring Visor, iPaq 37XX, iPaq 41XX, HTC PPC6700 - Current: HTC Mogul, Palm Pre, BB 8830 (work), and 32G iPod Touch 2G (oh yeah, wife's BB Curve).
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Currently my "Roadmap in my head" has the following major code changes for 1.1:

1. Themes - I think it will come with several and give you the ability to specify a URL to use one that was not included in the release.
    2. Caching - All data will be loaded (in a slightly different way) from facebook in the background. The _displaying_ of that data will happen based on the cache. This will hopefully make things more reliable, quicker, and allow me to do things like tell you how many comments you have not seen on a post, or what status updates you have seen and which you haven't.

3 (probably) View profiles
    4 (probably) Facebook Messages
    5 (probably) redesign notifications sceene.

Any comments?

On an unrelated note: recent versions of FriendsFlowBeta will expire tonight at about 10pm Central time. Obviously it won't be available in the app store by then.

I am thinking about a new release which extends the time. When should I extend it to?
    I would think viewing profiles and messages would be more of a priority. I personally could care less about themes (functionality over everything).

And it is kind of frustrating that you expire your app every few days. I would think you'd have more love for the homebrew community for helping you beta-test for months.

PreCentral users are not the only people with Web OS devices, the majority of people don't use homebrew and will gladly pay the 2 dollars you're asking for when your app hits the app store (because they've all been begging for a Facebook app).

Expiring the app so soon and frequently shows me that you want PreCentral users to pay for the app IMMEDIATELY after it hits the app catalog.

While I don't agree with the 1.99 price tag, I have no problem paying for it. Unless the free native facebook app hits first.

Otherwise, keep up the good work, I didn't mean to insult your work by any means, FriendsFlow is looking better and better everyday. You might consider cleaning up your first post, takes a while to scroll down in a Pre to check version notes. :P
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    I would think viewing profiles and messages would be more of a priority. I personally could care less about themes (functionality over everything).
    Obviously a lot of people disagree with you. (I agree, generally, but the most common complaints I get are due to subjective preferences about appearance.)

And it is kind of frustrating that you expire your app every few days. I would think you'd have more love for the homebrew community for helping you beta-test for months.
    With all due respect to the great people who have been giving me feedback here, there are about 14k people who have activated on facebook, about 7k who use it semi-regularly, 3k who use it daily, and MAYBE 25 who have given me feedback.

I've considered posting a "activation code" here so that you guys don't have to do that, but I am optimistic the issue will probably resolve itself soon.

PreCentral users are not the only people with Web OS devices, the majority of people don't use homebrew and will gladly pay the 2 dollars you're asking for when your app hits the app store (because they've all been begging for a Facebook app).

Expiring the app so soon and frequently shows me that you want PreCentral users to pay for the app IMMEDIATELY after it hits the app catalog.
    Actually, if you read my previous post, I am doing that to comply with Palm's distribution license. Since palm takes a cut, they would have material damages against me if I give the app away for free.

I hope to continue offering beta versions on precentral. Depending on the number of people who buy the app I will decide how to approach palm. If, as you say, the majority of Palm Pre users buy my app, I will certainly work to reward precentral users for their help in testing the app to get it to the state it is in today.

While I don't agree with the 1.99 price tag, I have no problem paying for it. Unless the free native facebook app hits first.
    On ethical grounds?

Otherwise, keep up the good work, I didn't mean to insult your work by any means, FriendsFlow is looking better and better everyday. You might consider cleaning up your first post, takes a while to scroll down in a Pre to check version notes. :P
    I will do that as soon as I figure out how I'm going to release 1.1 betas. At the least I guess putting the newer notes on the top would be a good idea. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    cool it fixed it, was running a older install.. thx

How do I know which version I have installed? I don't see an "About" button.

I like it, where's the "Donate" button?
    like this?
    Yeah I really like that!!
    OK, back to constructive criticism. And to show I'm still working on 1.1 (this is done with the new theming method)

Like/No like? What would you change?
    that looks awesome
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

when ever I try to fire the program up it says im not connected to the internet?? when in fact I am>>
    I ran in to this error as well. I figured it happened when I was connected to wifi but then I had left outside of the range (went to the store). When I got on in my car it said I was not connected to the Internet but I should be on the wireless signal. I was able to fix this by turning off the wireless and then closing and reopening it, it would work. I don't know if that will help your problem or not.
    Have you tried running palm-worm from the 1.2 SDK against this yet? FriendsFlow uses more DOM nodes than any other application I've seen (upwards of 500, even Preware only uses around 350).

When updating, heap size usage seems to jump up about 5MB until completed, and doesn't even always drop back down.

Now, the tool is new so I might be reading things wrong, but looks like the program could use a bit of memory optimization.
    I'm not going to address the "quality" capitalism issue again. Please uninstall the app if it has no value to you and/or make constructive suggestions as to what would make the app worth $2 in your mind. I'll try to add those features in the future to try to win your business just like other businesses do.
    Well - on the usability side, for starters I'd like to be able to view a person's profile, search for users, and view/respond to private messages. These are features important enough to me that I wouldn't want to pay for an app that doesn't have them.

As far as looks go, I think the default font size should be reduced a bit, and I would like to see something more along the lines of what we've seen from WebOS Twitter apps -- Spaz being a great example. I think more use of Mojo widgets - buttons, frames, input boxes, layout elements etc. even with their default themes would do the app look a lot of good.

As for the expiration, that's actually not my goal. The use you are talking about is not "beta testing." The vast majority of those users do not file bug reports, etc. They haven't even read far enough to realize that it will be a paid app and I am giving them access in order to test it.

That's not allowed under Palm's license agreement. At the moment I am attempting to comply with what palm has asked me to do. If you believe I should be allowed to distribute "trial versions" of my app, take that up with palm.
    Is Palm explicitly demanding that you make sure that all previously distributed copies of your app must have expired BEFORE you release to the app store? Would that not be in conflict with your current license terms (Creative Commons)? I can understand if Palm says you can't distribute trial versions through the app store (I haven't read their policy, but that would be surprising as well -- Classic is an example of an app with a trial period). All I'm saying is give people a reasonable period -- 30 days, 15 days -- before their pre-release copies expire, instead of moving goalposts every other day. There are lots of people who use FriendsFlow who are willing to pay when it does hit the catalog ... you shouldn't antagonize them.
    here are a few things that will make this app worth 2 dollars.

1. Organization. I kinda like the tweed app. If I used twitter I'd pay for it. It feels like a social site should. I do think appearance is extremely important when paying for an app.

2. More functions. Profiles, messages I'd even like to post notes if possible. Wall and full picture viewing

3. Notifications. Would like customizable notifications. So when I get the types of notifications I specify, my phone will notify me. (card should not be open for this to work.)
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Well - on the usability side, for starters I'd like to be able to view a person's profile, search for users, and view/respond to private messages. These are features important enough to me that I wouldn't want to pay for an app that doesn't have them.
    OK. Well, I think that viewing a person's profile and private messages will probably be in 1.1, maybe I can win your business then.

As far as looks go, I think the default font size should be reduced a bit, and I would like to see something more along the lines of what we've seen from WebOS Twitter apps -- Spaz being a great example. I think more use of Mojo widgets - buttons, frames, input boxes, layout elements etc. even with their default themes would do the app look a lot of good.
    The fonts are the minimum size allowed by palm.

I will probably make a themes in 1.1 for both "Palm light" and "palm dark" which will look like the palm widgets.

Is Palm explicitly demanding that you make sure that all previously distributed copies of your app must have expired BEFORE you release to the app store? Would that not be in conflict with your current license terms (Creative Commons)? I can understand if Palm says you can't distribute trial versions through the app store (I haven't read their policy, but that would be surprising as well -- Classic is an example of an app with a trial period). All I'm saying is give people a reasonable period -- 30 days, 15 days -- before their pre-release copies expire, instead of moving goalposts every other day. There are lots of people who use FriendsFlow who are willing to pay when it does hit the catalog ... you shouldn't antagonize them.
    The Palm Mojo API license does not allow for any distribution outside of the app catalog, period. I got permission to do otherwise and I suspect many people are just ignoring that rule. My permission was for beta testing only.

In terms of the license it was distributed under (which was selected in order to make it compatible with the above rules) you can use the software as given and can not make changes. Since it expires and you can't change the expiration date, it is roughly compatible with palm's license.

For the record,
    1. I am not moving the goal posts, palm is. Palm initially told me "mid september" and then last week. I am updating the deadline as my information from palm changes.
    2. I initially had the app "phone home" to determine when the beta period was over. People complained about privacy concerns. Now the app doesn't send any information to me. It was a trade off I made back when I thought I could trust palm's guesses about when it would be released.

For the record, until today you had not given me any feedback. The application has been in testing for well over a month. If you had suggestions you had your chance to have them considered before a release and gave up that opportunity.

What do you think "beta" applications are for? They aren't beta so that people can use them for free, they are beta so that the developer can get feedback.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Hmm, again that came off harsher than intended. I intended to give people a week to change over, but palm gave me bad information about release dates.

I'll try harder to avoid taking the bait.

xcomputerman I will try to take your suggestions at the top into account when setting priorities.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    the one thing that would make it worth my while to register, would be if it could sync my feed and comments so that I could view them off line.

i.e. I'm about to go into the nyc subway, sync the last 12 hours worth of feed and comments, so that I can go over them while on the subway (and perhaps even have an offline mode for writing comments).

personally, I don't get why people feel the need for an app to view profile data with, as unless it caches it, why doesn't x.facebook.com provide a good enough ui for profile data?
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    the one thing that would make it worth my while to register, would be if it could sync my feed and comments so that I could view them off line.

i.e. I'm about to go into the nyc subway, sync the last 12 hours worth of feed and comments, so that I can go over them while on the subway (and perhaps even have an offline mode for writing comments).

personally, I don't get why people feel the need for an app to view profile data with, as unless it caches it, why doesn't x.facebook.com provide a good enough ui for profile data?
    Caching it for offline is almost certainly going to be in 1.1 (its number 2 in the roadmap)
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    right, but I was trying to be more specific about it, i.e. if you sync just the last 30 entries (or whatever it is), that's really minimal for some people. it probably should sync based on time, as well as sync comments (doesn't help me to say there are X comments if I'm out of network access and can't read them).

don't know if you have those ideas on your roadmap already or not.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    right, but I was trying to be more specific about it, i.e. if you sync just the last 30 entries (or whatever it is), that's really minimal for some people. it probably should sync based on time, as well as sync comments (doesn't help me to say there are X comments if I'm out of network access and can't read them).

don't know if you have those ideas on your roadmap already or not.
    I was assuming I would sync posts (approximately equal to) several days back. (if there have been notifications about a post, that would reset the count)

It would sync all comments and all profile pics (except on "fan" posts?)

I am debating whether to sync any pictures referenced in the posts... maybe cache them but not for very long...? That might be saved for a future release.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    here are a few things that will make this app worth 2 dollars.

1. Organization. I kinda like the tweed app. If I used twitter I'd pay for it. It feels like a social site should. I do think appearance is extremely important when paying for an app.

2. More functions. Profiles, messages I'd even like to post notes if possible. Wall and full picture viewing

3. Notifications. Would like customizable notifications. So when I get the types of notifications I specify, my phone will notify me. (card should not be open for this to work.)
    I agree that profiles, messaging and picture commenting would be nice! I would also like to use the chat function but I can wait for that. I think the profiles, messaging and picture commenting would be nice!