Page 51 of 118 FirstFirst ... 41464748495051525354555661101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2357
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    PLEASE STOP MAKING YOUR APP EXPIRE! It is very annoying!!!
    I'm not the author, but I have to wonder: how much have you paid for this app? Certainly, if you paid for it and it expires, it would be unfair and annoying.

I say kudos to the author for jumping on this and extending the expiration because Palm is backlogged and has been unable to release the app.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    So this app will be a paid app when it hits the app catalog?
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    PLEASE STOP MAKING YOUR APP EXPIRE! It is very annoying!!!
    The paid app will not expire.

If palm would give me a launch date, I could set an expiration date a few days after that and be done with it.

So, if you want to complain to someone, complain to palm.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    So this app will be a paid app when it hits the app catalog?
    Yes.

My intention is to continue having beta versions available to those who want to live on the cutting edge and have paid $1.99 for the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    The paid app will not expire.

If palm would give me a launch date, I could set an expiration date a few days after that and be done with it.

So, if you want to complain to someone, complain to palm.
    At 1st I was thankful SOMEONE was working on a facebook app. Now not so much. You are more concerned about trying to make a buck now. This app is so far from being a comparable to other facebook apps on other phones yet you want people to start paying. Are you serious? I'll pay once it is a complete app. and not until. I'm not going to pay for promises.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhughes86 View Post
    At 1st I was thankful SOMEONE was working on a facebook app. Now not so much. You are more concerned about trying to make a buck now. This app is so far from being a comparable to other facebook apps on other phones yet you want people to start paying. Are you serious? I'll pay once it is a complete app. and not until. I'm not going to pay for promises.
    (edit: this is not a personal attack, and I am not upset, but this is how capitalism works. People make products and if other people are willing to buy them, they buy them.)

I have always been concerned about making a buck. I invested a lot of human capital (time, points with the wife, etc) into developing the app.

I have developed GPL open source software in the past, but that was never my intention with this app. If you have a problem with commercial software that is not bug free and doesn't have every feature you could possibly want, I respect that. But that's not a problem specific to this app.

The app is a complete app. It doesn't implement every feature in facebook, but clearly a lot of BETA TESTERS are finding it useful.

Don't take this the wrong way. I DO intend to make the app better and more full featured.

That said, I wouldn't want you to pay for promises. However, if you want to use the app you will need to pay $1.99.

Everyone can determine how much the app is worth to them, but I'd encourage you to actually weigh the options available to you. You can pay $1.99 or not use FriendsFlow. I believe that for some people the app is worth at least $1.99. I'd guess that some small number of people would pay $15, but I am only charging $1.99 because the cost/benefit ratio will favor more people buying it and I want people to use it.

If you read back through this thread you will see that I have been quite consistent that I was going to charge for the app and that it was going to cost $2ish.
    I don't fault you at all grepper for intending to make money off your app.

But honestly, I don't consider your app to be high enough quality that I would consider paying for it. It just seems amateurish compared to Facebook apps on pretty much every other platform, including the one for PalmOS which I didn't particularly care for. Now usability wise it's actually pretty good as a simple feed reader, but I think it's got a long way to go before it becomes something worth paying for in my opinion. That said, it is the only Facebook client available for WebOS at the moment and if you want to charge for it ... by all means go ahead. Business is business.

However, as far as the expirations go, I think you're shooting yourself in the foot with ninja-like expirations. By timing out the app every one or two days and forcing people to get an update to extend for just another couple of days, you're driving well-meaning people away from your app. That *is* very annoying. Just set a 30 day expiration and be done with it. Most commercial software does this anyway. Allow people to try your program for a reasonable amount of time, get them hooked on it and when the time comes many of them would rather pay a token fee than be forced to stop using it.

Whatever revenue you think you're trying to maximize by making sure all beta copies have expired before app store launch, you will probably lose double in frustrated users who decide to stop using FriendsFlow altogether.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Honestly, I don't mind paying $2. Granted it's not a full Facebook client and I would love to be able to access my inbox from this app but still, it's only $2. I spend more than that on a cup of coffee and only get maybe 30 minutes of use out of that coffee as opposed to much more usefullness out of this app. So I, for one, am ok with paying $2.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post

But honestly, I don't consider your app to be high enough quality that I would consider paying for it.

Whatever revenue you think you're trying to maximize by making sure all beta copies have expired before app store launch, you will probably lose double in frustrated users who decide to stop using FriendsFlow altogether.
    I'm not going to address the "quality" capitalism issue again. Please uninstall the app if it has no value to you and/or make constructive suggestions as to what would make the app worth $2 in your mind. I'll try to add those features in the future to try to win your business just like other businesses do.

As for the expiration, that's actually not my goal. The use you are talking about is not "beta testing." The vast majority of those users do not file bug reports, etc. They haven't even read far enough to realize that it will be a paid app and I am giving them access in order to test it.

That's not allowed under Palm's license agreement. At the moment I am attempting to comply with what palm has asked me to do. If you believe I should be allowed to distribute "trial versions" of my app, take that up with palm.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allenkt View Post
    Granted it's not a full Facebook client and I would love to be able to access my inbox from this app but still, it's only $2.
    Mailbox is almost certainly a go in 1.1
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Now usability wise it's actually pretty good as a simple feed reader, but I think it's got a long way to go before it becomes something worth paying for in my opinion.
    Out of curiosity, would you still say that if the price was $0.99? $0.25? $0.05? Do you believe that a program you use should not charge anything until it crosses a certain threshold? If it were your ideal fb app, would you pay $5? $10? $20?

Perhaps this is getting too political or psychological? I'm sure they do econ experiments on this question.
    I don't understand some people. If you don't like the app or don't want to pay for it, then don't and stop coming to this thread. I personally think the app is great and has great potential. Of course it is a work in progress. So what difference does it make if you pay the $1.99 now or a few months down the road when the app adds new features that are to your liking? I don't know about everyone else but the app does enough to satisfy me right now. For the most part I just login to check status updates and the app does that! Yeah an inbox and be able to view profiles would be nice but it is on the way. Be patient people!
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    OK, back to constructive criticism. And to show I'm still working on 1.1 (this is done with the new theming method)

Like/No like? What would you change?
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    OK, back to constructive criticism. And to show I'm still working on 1.1 (this is done with the new theming method)

Like/No like? What would you change?
    I like that each post is separate. A little easier to read. The old version the boxes just sat on top of each other. Is there a way to make the actual post stand out more though? With all the blue I think it would all run in to each other as you are scrolling through them all. Maybe still include everything in one shape like you have it now but make the post part white or another color.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    like this?
    I like the first way a little better, but honestly they'd both be great improvements. I can't wait to buy this
    Question> I'm new to smartphones/apps> Once I buy it, will I get the later versions pushed out to me or do I have do manually up date, or remove and buy the new version each time it's revised?
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pjeffe001 View Post
    Question> I'm new to smartphones/apps> Once I buy it, will I get the later versions pushed out to me or do I have do manually up date, or remove and buy the new version each time it's revised?
    Yes, palm has stated that ALL paid apps include free updates. I would have chosen to do so if given the choice anyway.

You can even re-download if you delete it or replace your pre. It gets attached to your palm profile.
    I don't fault you at all grepper for intending to make money off your app.

But honestly, I don't consider your app to be high enough quality that I would consider paying for it. It just seems amateurish compared to Facebook apps on pretty much every other platform, including the one for PalmOS which I didn't particularly care for. Now usability wise it's actually pretty good as a simple feed reader, but I think it's got a long way to go before it becomes something worth paying for in my opinion. That said, it is the only Facebook client available for WebOS at the moment and if you want to charge for it ... by all means go ahead. Business is business.

However, as far as the expirations go, I think you're shooting yourself in the foot with ninja-like expirations. By timing out the app every one or two days and forcing people to get an update to extend for just another couple of days, you're driving well-meaning people away from your app. That *is* very annoying. Just set a 30 day expiration and be done with it. Most commercial software does this anyway. Allow people to try your program for a reasonable amount of time, get them hooked on it and when the time comes many of them would rather pay a token fee than be forced to stop using it.

This isn't it by any means! Have you seen his list for upcoming things in 1.1? You buy it once for $2 and you get unlimited lifetime free upgrades and he has alot of goodies planned! Don't even worry about it!
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I use it every day, I find it better than any of the other FB options and thus I will pay for it.
    when ever I try to fire the program up it says im not connected to the internet?? when in fact I am>>