Page 44 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3439404142434445464748495494 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 2357
  1. noaxis2's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    #861  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    mamouton:

    thanks for the thanks. Just so you know, the ability to have more than one account is one of my top priorities for 1.1. It won't ship without it.

    As for the price... It is worth more than $2 to some people, and less than $2 to others. I would rather have more users and have more of them think they got a bargain than have fewer users who may question whether they paid too much.
    Well, I'm pretty sure I gave ya a fiver this weekend! I don't have an iPhone...I am used to the pricing structure of Palm software. I've had excellent freeware programs, inexpensive programs and (to me for a handheld) expensive programs ($20 or more).

    I don't want a bunch of stuff on the phone just because there's a bunch of stuff available! Until someone develops a launcher with tabs (hint hint) so there is a way to get to everything you can put on the phone...simplicity is the way to go.

    ...the Zen of Palm...or something like that!



    Being me has its advantages.

    -- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
  2. #862  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    ...

    NOTE: if you filter those things from your "news feed" on facebook, it should not show up in current versions of FriendsFlow. (It did for a while due to a bug and/or facebook changing the api)
    I have noticed that all the apps that I had on the web don't show up in FriendsFlow.. and I think this is an overall underutilized function within facebook. Just block an app/quiz from your news feed when you see it and it won't show up again. A lot easier to do than having to write comments or complain about them to others.

    Grepper, what I appreciate about your app is that it essentially handles 90% of my interactivity with facebook and it does it well. Having dabbled with a couple of apps myself (nothing published) I can appreciate all the hard work you have put into it and will put into it in the future and I hope the Palm App Catalog rewards you for that hard work.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
  3. #863  
    I'm sorry but this app needs allot of improvement for anyone to actually consider paying for it. I have downloaded it at least 4 times with different releases coming out and only used it for a few minutes before deleting it. Using the x.facebook.com is still allot nicer then using this app. Hopefully your future releases will change that.
  4. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #864  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    I'm sorry but this app needs allot of improvement for anyone to actually consider paying for it. I have downloaded it at least 4 times with different releases coming out and only used it for a few minutes before deleting it. Using the x.facebook.com is still allot nicer then using this app. Hopefully your future releases will change that.

    To each his own. I believe you are incorrect.

    (trying to make this constructive...)

    Are you sure you authorized the app and didn't get sidetracked somehow during the auth process. Does it look like the screenshots on http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/friendsflow

    Are there any specific complaints you have?

    Oh well, can't be all things to all people.
  5. #865  
    I must agree with dkotoric1. This does not offer enough for me to want to buy it. I think there needs to be a home screen like the iphone app. The ability to check inbox, chat, upload photos, view profiles, friends profiles. Right now this is very basic and only allows you to view news feed. I find myself using the full website 99% of the time instead of using FriendsFlow.

    Not trying to bash you or your app. And I am grateful that someone is working on a facebook app I just feel like there is a lot of work to be done before you could/should start charging people.
  6. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #866  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    To each his own. I believe you are incorrect.

    (trying to make this constructive...)

    Are you sure you authorized the app and didn't get sidetracked somehow during the auth process. Does it look like the screenshots on http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/friendsflow

    Are there any specific complaints you have?

    Oh well, can't be all things to all people.
    Here are some things that I like better about x.facebook.com. Note that I said "I" and others may feed differently. (Note: I don't use x.facebook.com much, any more, generally preferring FriendsFlow).

    (1) I like that I can set my status in a "pop up." This is a minor thing, but there's something about this UI that works better.

    (2) It remembers my last status. FriendsFlow does not, which makes (a) checking my current status impossible and (b) updating a status, such as correcting an error, hard. Ideally, it would know my last status, regardless of where I posted it (via x.facebook.com, via lite.facebook.com, via Welcome to Facebook | Facebook, via FriendsFlow, via m.facebook.com, via Blackberry or iPhone app, etc.).

    (3) For me (and this is a total personal thing), the big blue blocks in FriendsFlow aren't as aesthetically pleasing as the understated thin lines in x.facebook.com.

    (4) Formatting is nicer. Specifically, FF puts each picture on its own line. In x.facebook.com, I get get a picture sized down to fit on the same line as text. (This one might require some screen captures, to show what I mean). Or each other. For example, a friend has a status with 3 pictures. In x.facebook.com, they are on the same line. I can tap on one to make bigger. In FF, they are each on a different line.

    And this doesn't touch functionality differences. Just look.
  7. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #867  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhughes86 View Post
    I must agree with dkotoric1. This does not offer enough for me to want to buy it. I think there needs to be a home screen like the iphone app. The ability to check inbox, chat, upload photos, view profiles, friends profiles. Right now this is very basic and only allows you to view news feed. I find myself using the full website 99% of the time instead of using FriendsFlow.

    Not trying to bash you or your app. And I am grateful that someone is working on a facebook app I just feel like there is a lot of work to be done before you could/should start charging people.
    (note, I am not upset, just giving a simple economics lesson)

    Is the app useful to you? If so, then what price would you be willing to pay for it?

    If the app is not worth $2 to you, then don't buy it. That's how capitalism works.

    Yesterday, out of the "homebrew community" 11118 people have authorized FriendsFlow in facebook. Of those 3321 people used the app on Friday, 2977 on thursday, 3128 on wednesday. 6445 different people used FriendsFlow in the last week. (all according to facebook)

    Clearly some people are getting utility from FriendsFlow. Why do you think I shouldn't allow people to buy it from me?

    You are complaining about lack of features. I plan on adding more features in the future, maybe it will cross the $2 of utility threshold for you later.
  8. #868  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    (note, I am not upset, just giving a simple economics lesson)

    Is the app useful to you? If so, then what price would you be willing to pay for it?

    If the app is not worth $2 to you, then don't buy it. That's how capitalism works.

    Yesterday, out of the "homebrew community" 11118 people have authorized FriendsFlow in facebook. Of those 3321 people used the app on Friday, 2977 on thursday, 3128 on wednesday. 6445 different people used FriendsFlow in the last week. (all according to facebook)

    Clearly some people are getting utility from FriendsFlow. Why do you think I shouldn't allow people to buy it from me?

    You are complaining about lack of features. I plan on adding more features in the future, maybe it will cross the $2 of utility threshold for you later.
    no matter wut ppl say on here...i do believe this app is worth $2 and will be no matter what paying for it when it hits the app catalog
  9. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #869  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Here are some things that I like better about x.facebook.com. Note that I said "I" and others may feed differently. (Note: I don't use x.facebook.com much, any more, generally preferring FriendsFlow).

    (1) I like that I can set my status in a "pop up." This is a minor thing, but there's something about this UI that works better.

    (2) It remembers my last status. FriendsFlow does not, which makes (a) checking my current status impossible and (b) updating a status, such as correcting an error, hard. Ideally, it would know my last status, regardless of where I posted it (via x.facebook.com, via lite.facebook.com, via Welcome to Facebook | Facebook, via FriendsFlow, via m.facebook.com, via Blackberry or iPhone app, etc.).

    (3) For me (and this is a total personal thing), the big blue blocks in FriendsFlow aren't as aesthetically pleasing as the understated thin lines in x.facebook.com.

    (4) Formatting is nicer. Specifically, FF puts each picture on its own line. In x.facebook.com, I get get a picture sized down to fit on the same line as text. (This one might require some screen captures, to show what I mean). Or each other. For example, a friend has a status with 3 pictures. In x.facebook.com, they are on the same line. I can tap on one to make bigger. In FF, they are each on a different line.

    And this doesn't touch functionality differences. Just look.
    Because I think that these are good ideas (but not stop ship problems) I'll address each.

    1. I've had several people suggest this. I think this is a personal preference. Maybe future versions will have the + down at the bottom like some twitter apps, or give the user a preference as to which to do.
    2. It had never even occurred to me that people use facebook that way. I've never thought "huh, what's my status now?" It is amazing how differently different people use Facebook.
    I will consider that as an improvement for 1.1.
    3. Version 1.1 will have "skins." A skin should be able to alter the look and feel to behave like that.
    4. See 3.

    I'm not claiming 1.0 is _perfect_ for anyone, and certainly not perfect for everyone. No commercial software is perfect. If you've ever used a computer, I'm sure you've seen that.

    In this case, people will pay a small amount ($2) and get bug fixes and improvements for free. For most people, I think that's a great deal. If it isn't a good deal for you, you are welcome to use some other product or none at all.

    Palm hasn't worked out the details, I believe, but I certainly hope they have a trial period or make it easy to refund people's money (and remove the app.) I don't want people to pay me and be unhappy. I think that given the choice of getting their $2 back or continuing to use FriendsFlow most people would choose to continue to use FriendsFlow.
  10. #870  
    Grepper,

    First of all, I would like to thank you for your hard work and countless hours you have put into this project. I heard many people complain when there was no facebook app available for the pre and you stepped up to the plate and provided one. You also took the time to do unbelievable updates on a daily basis based on feedback you received from the precentral community.

    I am utterly amazed at the negative feedback you have received in this forum and can't believe the number of people that are complaining about 2 whole dollars to pay for an app that you have spent time working on. What a bunch of cry babies. If you guys can't afford 2 dollars, you may need to rethink your current profession.

    It's very simple folks- grepper provided an option. If you don't like his app, don't pay for it. Keep on using all the other options you have available for free. But please stop crapping this thread whining about 2 dollars or how you don't think it's ready for a palm catalog release. Obviously from the numbers grepper released about the number of people using the app, it's certainly working for some.

    I am not a developer and many of you aren't either. The man has taken time away from his wife and kids to work on suggestions you gave to him. This program will not be all things to all people. Either use it or don't- simple.

    I am sure i will get some whining responses to this post about how you are entitled to your opinions, however, before you do, try making your own facebook app and make it just the way you want it. Otherwise, don't complain.
  11. #871  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    Grepper,

    First of all, I would like to thank you for your hard work and countless hours you have put into this project. I heard many people complain when there was no facebook app available for the pre and you stepped up to the plate and provided one. You also took the time to do unbelievable updates on a daily basis based on feedback you received from the precentral community.

    I am utterly amazed at the negative feedback you have received in this forum and can't believe the number of people that are complaining about 2 whole dollars to pay for an app that you have spent time working on. What a bunch of cry babies. If you guys can't afford 2 dollars, you may need to rethink your current profession.

    It's very simple folks- grepper provided an option. If you don't like his app, don't pay for it. Keep on using all the other options you have available for free. But please stop crapping this thread whining about 2 dollars or how you don't think it's ready for a palm catalog release. Obviously from the numbers grepper released about the number of people using the app, it's certainly working for some.

    I am not a developer and many of you aren't either. The man has taken time away from his wife and kids to work on suggestions you gave to him. This program will not be all things to all people. Either use it or don't- simple.

    I am sure i will get some whining responses to this post about how you are entitled to your opinions, however, before you do, try making your own facebook app and make it just the way you want it. Otherwise, don't complain.
    +1
  12. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #872  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    I am utterly amazed at the negative feedback you have received in this forum and can't believe the number of people that are complaining about 2 whole dollars to pay for an app that you have spent time working on. What a bunch of cry babies. If you guys can't afford 2 dollars, you may need to rethink your current profession.
    I don't think anyone has said that they can't afford $2.

    First, all feedback is worthwhile. That doesn't mean that grepper (or anyone) needs to actually everything everyone wants. But it's worthwhile to hear from people. It is unfair to call someone that's offering feedback a "cry baby." That's being intentionally offensive.

    Second, even though $2 is a tiny amount of money, not everyone that can afford $2 in the world is going to pay it. In reality, it's going to be people that think they will use the app.

    For me, I've given some thoughts. As it stands, I'll pay $2 simply because I do use the app and think it's worth AT LEAST $2. But that doesn't mean that I should shut up about how I think a future version could be improved.

    Since you seem to take such a dim view of people, I'm sure you'd be happy to buy people copies of this app, yes? Afterall, if you can't afford to buy the "cry babies" a $2 app, YOU need to rethink your profession. I'm sure you could, at the very least, afford to buy a copy for 50 people. What's $100 to someone that makes the big bucks, like you?
  13. #873  
    It's kind of a catch 22 really... the more people who pay the $2, the more time and effort grepper will be willing to put into the app, making it worth more and more (getting MORE than your money's worth)

    But if noone pays the $2, then he will abandon the app, and it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy... and everyone who did pay will complain they've been ripped off.

    I work in television as an editor, and this is akin to someone saying, maybe I'll pay you if the show's done well and fast... well, if I can't afford to focus on the project then I won't be able to finish the show quickly and up to my standards, thereby ensuring I don't get paid.
  14. #874  
    Well like others have stated, its too early to be CHARGING for this app IMO, i feel its very incomplete. What i and most users should be looking for, is one facebook app to do all the things you need. If you want to browse and reply to status then this is cool. But if you want to check your inbox,send note, see friends profiles etc, u have to use either m.facebook or x.facebook. The facebook app i would pay for would have all of this in there (especially if palm is making an FREE app is in the works).

    The program reminds me of twitter where all twitter is does is tweets. All you do in this program is reply to status on here, its not a full facebook app. I cant do in this app what i would do at home on facebook.com, which is what a "Facebook App" should do. This thing is light years away from a mobile Facebook solution, just my 2 cents

    Now i understand he says he going to make updates and changes, now when he does do that, then maybe it'll b worth paying. But right now it has bugs and lacks big time features, so m or x facebook is not that bad for free
    Last edited by Jupiter600; 09/15/2009 at 10:24 AM.
  15. #875  
    I like FriendsFlow and it has come a long way since the first time I installed it. I believe before I bugged grepper with my suggestions it was very alpha looking and now it looks more beta, but if you compare it to the apps on the app store... I haven't seen anything that looks like a true beta. I mean when you create a theme for an app using a stylesheet everything matches the theme. The font color, size, background... everything... Even DOS apps have a theme. FriendsFlow? not really... You can tell some parts still need some more work than others... I hope you are taking this as good criticism and I'm pretty sure Palm will have similar comments so why wait for Palm to ask you to fix these things? I don't know, but interface is really important and I think you are giving more attention to the functions and subroutines.
  16. #876  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    +1
    its not about that, Grepper has asked for feedback, and im sure most of it he doesnt take offense to, on the flip side of that, he is a developer, and a developer would be nothing without people to give him input, whether it be positive or negative.

    Noone says that he is not doing a great job with this app, hell, noone else has stepped up to the plate. I sure cant do it I will say that. But I dont think that anyone should be complaining about him charging. If you dont want to pay for his hard work, then you have the usual facebook site variants for your viewing please. He has every right to charge for it.

    Just my .02 cents though, people not to stop defending Grepper so heavily. WE ALL appreciate his hard work, but criticism, and/or suggestions are a part of development, and he knows that as we all do. Theres no reason to be so hostile, were all here to help him out and make this Pre thing better. Relax people!
  17. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #877  
    I think $2 is more then fair for this app. Thanks!
    -m
  18. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #878  
    OK, enough of that.

    If you think it is worth $2 to you, buy it. If not, don't.

    Please keep the discussion here focused on _suggestions_ for improvements to the _software_.
  19. #879  
    Grepper, would you prefer your $2 now or on the App Catalog? gladly pay now.. since you have 2 different versions, the App store version and the Beta version, can't you continue work on the beta version without touching any features on the store version?
  20. #880  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Grepper, would you prefer your $2 now or on the App Catalog? gladly pay now.. since you have 2 different versions, the App store version and the Beta version, can't you continue work on the beta version without touching any features on the store version?
    same here i dont mind paying the 2 bucks now!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions