Page 42 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243444546475292 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    PS, I am open to other suggestions.

* I want to be able to distribute beta versions to people who pay for the software
    * I don't want to do anything too draconian.
    * I'm not going to do anything to prevent 'hackers' from pirating my software.

What other methods can I distribute software that I only want a select group of people to be able to use?

In other words, unless you have a better idea it is this or distributing through some sort of private forum only available to paid customers.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    Well I think I'm confused. I have no problem spending a little money on an app. What I don't get is the paid vs. "beta" differentiation. So what you mean is, the only people who will have access to future versions of friendsflow will be the ones who've bought the app through the app store. The normal paid app won't phone home, but any non-app-store "betas" will phone in?
    Exactly. I am going to look into whether I can find out whether another app is installed.

I'm pretty privacy conscious. I understand your concerns. I just haven't come up with a better idea.
    Thanks for the clarification. Maybe providing access for purchasers to a passworded website for the ipk's would be enough? But, that wouldn't defeat "sharing".
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Well, for now, I can't detect if you have the paid version installed anyway (since you can't have the paid version.)

The next version will just have an expiration date and not check in.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Version 0.1.2:
    http://friendsflow.com/com.friendsfl..._0.1.2_all.ipk
    (http : / / friendsflow.com/com.friendsflow.friendsflowbeta_0.1.2_all.ipk)
    * No longer phones home (expires Oct 1st)
    * Fixed bug which caused "polling" to open non-beta version
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I am thinking about making FriendsFlow "themeable"

Here's the idea:
    1. I will release a themeing kit (a couple html files and a css file)
    2. People can customize the css file to make a new theme. (possibly adding some images)
    3. You can submit themes to me for inclusion. Assuming I make any money off this thing I will probably have some sort of competition for the best themes with cash prizes.
    4. Users will choose which theme to use in the preferences.

Worst case scenario, it will allow me to make more than one of the 100 people who want 101 things happy. Best case scenario, people like you submit really stunning themes and everything prettier.

What do people think?
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post

Here's the idea:
    2. People can customize the css file to make a new theme. (possibly adding some images)
    3. You can submit themes to me for inclusion. Assuming I make any money off this thing I will probably have some sort of competition for the best themes with cash prizes.

Worst case scenario, it will allow me to make more than one of the 100 people who want 101 things happy. Best case scenario, people like you submit really stunning themes and everything prettier.

What do people think?
    that sounds gr8...would love themes
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    It will be $2. I think that the current app is worth $2 even for only a month or two.

However, I plan to have features which would make it worth $2 more than the free app by the time the free app comes out, and upgrades will be free.

I think $2 will be an excellent deal for anyone who purchases the app.
    I think $2 is well worth it, if for nothing else to pay him for developing an app that we could use for FB for the past month+ while waiting for Palm's!

It will be an even bigger bonus if FF does have added features over the Palm App...

Great job on providing us with this app!
    Smartphone/PDA/MP3 History: Palm III, Handspring Visor, iPaq 37XX, iPaq 41XX, HTC PPC6700 - Current: HTC Mogul, Palm Pre, BB 8830 (work), and 32G iPod Touch 2G (oh yeah, wife's BB Curve).
    Quote Originally Posted by Habidabad View Post
    I have yet to hear this new notification sound. I used to always get the sound before you changed it, but now I get nothing. I am running the "My Notifications" app. Could these be counteracting each other and causing the problem?
    Ditto. I recently used webOSQuickInstall to tweek my pre. I turned off the crazy loud dialing of the phone and was wondering if that could have somehow affected the notification sound of FF. Just throwing something out there.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynazan View Post
    Ditto. I recently used webOSQuickInstall to tweek my pre. I turned off the crazy loud dialing of the phone and was wondering if that could have somehow affected the notification sound of FF. Just throwing something out there.
    I believe the volume is related to the sound effect volume rather than the ring volume.

Here's the idea:

What do people think?

I think thats a cool idea. I like on some of the quick dial apps I can customize my background. So this would be really cool.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I'm confused about the notification sound. I didn't heard it in 0.0.47 or 0.0.48, but I don't leave the card open either. In previous versions I would hear a notification sound at startup. I'm currently using FriendsFlowBeta Version 0.1.2 and I still haven't heard the notification sound, even when the card is left open and a new notification comes through.

As far as knowing whether or not people have a paid version, you may want to talk to uptempo777 of the Quick Contacts app. I donated the $5 to get free updates forever and he had a feature in the drop down that would bring up a device ID and he was able to turn the expiration off with that.
    I love this app and I'd be more then happy to be a tester.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I'm confused about the notification sound. I didn't heard it in 0.0.47 or 0.0.48, but I don't leave the card open either. In previous versions I would hear a notification sound at startup. I'm currently using FriendsFlowBeta Version 0.1.2 and I still haven't heard the notification sound, even when the card is left open and a new notification comes through.
    Well, you should not hear anything when the card is closed. It does not currently poll if the app is closed.

If you have notifications turned on, you should hear a sound if a new message or notification comes in while the app is on, but not on startup anymore. Note, that if you don't have "wake device" turned on, it won't poll while the device is asleep.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    As far as knowing whether or not people have a paid version, you may want to talk to uptempo777 of the Quick Contacts app. I donated the $5 to get free updates forever and he had a feature in the drop down that would bring up a device ID and he was able to turn the expiration off with that.
    There are currently about 10500 different people using FriendsFlow (according to facebook.) I'd like to try to find a way to let people use the beta versions without my having to explicitly allow each person.

We'll see how big a deal it is. If 100000 people buy FriendsFlow, I'm not going to worry about whether some people on precentral violate the (to be determined) beta terms of service. If the number of paid users is clearly smaller than the number of unpaid users, then I'll probably want to come up with a solution to at least make it a pain for casual users.

WebOS leaves all my code open anyway, so pretty much anything I do is going to be easy to circumvent if someone knows what they are doing. I don't want to make things difficult for people who are following the rules unless it is really necessary. I'd probably just stop development rather than spend most of my time trying to stop pirates.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Well, you should not hear anything when the card is closed. It does not currently poll if the app is closed.

If you have notifications turned on, you should hear a sound if a new message or notification comes in while the app is on, but not on startup anymore. Note, that if you don't have "wake device" turned on, it won't poll while the device is asleep.
    Finally heard the sound! My first true complaint! Yes, it's gross! I'm glad I keep the card closed and rarely hear it!
    Grepper, I might have found a bug.. you know how you added a feature where after you leave a comment, it automatically updates your list and adds your comment to the # of comments left on that posting where you left off, but if you do so on one you had to bring up in the "display another 30", it didn't update for me and then I got some random network error message. Just FYI. Also, being release candidate material for the App store, you really should do something about the blank page you are left with after marking your notifications as read and either return to main list after zero left, or have a button to return to main list. I'd prefer it automatically go back to front page once you've cleared the list.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if this happened to anyone yet but i copied and pasted something on the web to leave a comment on someones post but it didn't go through. I sent it like 3 times but it never posted.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Also, being release candidate material for the App store, you really should do something about the blank page you are left with after marking your notifications as read and either return to main list after zero left, or have a button to return to main list. I'd prefer it automatically go back to front page once you've cleared the list.
    I totally agree with this!
    I totally agree with this!
    +1