Page 41 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142434445465191 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    Paid users you mean by ppl hu have donated to you?
    no, I mean people who buy 1.0 on the app catalog after it comes out.

Anyone can use it for now.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Release candidate already? There are quite a few things that could be improved:

I'm pretty sure many users will agree that these are nice enhancements for the application.

Good job! I will be more than happy to buy your app even if Palm comes out with one, but I hope you can also include our suggestions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    I second this...
    Look, precentral is great and all, but I want my app to be available on the app catalog. In order to have that happen, I have "release" it.

Releasing the app does not mean that I will not make improvements afterwards. It means that the product you currently find useful will be available to the hundreds of thousands of other Pre owners.

If writing software were as simple as reading your comments and deciding "yes, I'll do that" and "no, I won't do that" I would have incorporated more of your suggestions into the first release. But it isn't.

Once the first release of FriendsFlow is out on the app catalog, I plan on creating a new development line of code into which I will try to incorporate a lot of the suggestions on here. Because that's how development works. You add features to a development line of code and it is ok if the code is a bit buggy for a while. Then you freeze the features and try to fix all the bugs. Then you decide it is "good enough" and you release it, knowing that no software has ever been perfect.

Palm says they will release paid apps in "mid september" and they intend to include my app. So hopefully, I will return to adding new features and working on adapting the look and feel in a week or two. Until then my top priority is making sure I am in that first wave of paid apps.

I have written a lot of software I have released for free. (eg Application Layer Packet Classifier for Linux) but this has taken me away from time with my wife and kids and unless I can buy my wife some new designer jeans by the end of September I'm not going to spend any more time on it.
    When you go to a notification post you should be able to respond back to it there or tap it to send you to that post int the app instead of having to scroll thought to find it then reply to it
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    Look, precentral is great and all, but I want my app to be available on the app catalog. In order to have that happen, I have "release" it.

Releasing the app does not mean that I will not make improvements afterwards. It means that the product you currently find useful will be available to the hundreds of thousands of other Pre owners.

If writing software were as simple as reading your comments and deciding "yes, I'll do that" and "no, I won't do that" I would have incorporated more of your suggestions into the first release. But it isn't.

Once the first release of FriendsFlow is out on the app catalog, I plan on creating a new development line of code into which I will try to incorporate a lot of the suggestions on here. Because that's how development works. You add features to a development line of code and it is ok if the code is a bit buggy for a while. Then you freeze the features and try to fix all the bugs. Then you decide it is "good enough" and you release it, knowing that no software has ever been perfect.

Palm says they will release paid apps in "mid september" and they intend to include my app. So hopefully, I will return to adding new features and working on adapting the look and feel in a week or two. Until then my top priority is making sure I am in that first wave of paid apps.

I have written a lot of software I have released for free. (eg Application Layer Packet Classifier for Linux) but this has taken me away from time with my wife and kids and unless I can buy my wife some new designer jeans by the end of September I'm not going to spend any more time on it.
    alright i get u...no problem
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I don't know how well it'll go charging for this app, considering a native (presumably free) facebook app is coming.

So what will be special enough about Friendsflow to get people to pay for an app that will probably be offered for free (possibly on the same day as the app store launch)

Unless your app is only going to be .99 cents, in which case, I won't mind paying for it if a native app isn't included with the launch of the app store.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    I don't know how well it'll go charging for this app, considering a native (presumably free) facebook app is coming.

So what will be special enough about Friendsflow to get people to pay for an app that will probably be offered for free (possibly on the same day as the app store launch)

Unless your app is only going to be .99 cents, in which case, I won't mind paying for it if a native app isn't included with the launch of the app store.
    It will be $2. I think that the current app is worth $2 even for only a month or two.

However, I plan to have features which would make it worth $2 more than the free app by the time the free app comes out, and upgrades will be free.

I think $2 will be an excellent deal for anyone who purchases the app.
    It will be $2. I think that the current app is worth $2 even for only a month or two.

However, I plan to have features which would make it worth $2 more than the free app by the time the free app comes out, and upgrades will be free.

2 bucks is perfect for me...

Edit: just my opinion...dont flame me for thinking 2 bucks is tooo much
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Release candidate already? There are quite a few things that could be improved:
    -When marking the last notification as read, it should automatically take you back to the main screen and not leave you on a blank screen.
    -Pressing on a notification should allow you to go to the comment section of that entry inside the app.
    -The marked as read status was suggested that it would be better if we could dismiss them with a finger swipe instead of tapping on the screen.
    -The comment textbox section still hasn't changed. The font color doesn't turn gray on enter and the font size doesn't match the font of what you type.
    -Full links address on the comment section could be replace with just "Facebook link" or something like that to make things look cleaner.
    -The comments on picture view are still intrusive. Comments should not go over pictures even if you add a shaded background. If you add a corner button that says view comment and toggles the text on the picture on and off then that would work.

I'm pretty sure many users will agree that these are nice enhancements for the application.

Good job! I will be more than happy to buy your app even if Palm comes out with one, but I hope you can also include our suggestions.

Thanks
    awesome stuff! and mark all notification as read would be good also.
    Any chance you'll share what those features might be?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

I think 2 bucks is a deal for the app. I have using the app since you first released it to the masses and I for one appreciate all your hard work, with multiple releases the same day to fix bugs.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

$2 is more than reasonable. Heck, I think $5 is more than reasonable for an app that does something that I want.

I'm amazed, however, when someone pops up with the $30-$100 app and gets upset when people question the price ("you all are spoiled by the iPhone into thinking that every app needs to be 99 cents!").
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I think what i like about this app the most is that its simple and basic. There are no fancy images or extra crap, it just goes straight to the point. If i wanted to view profiles, i would just use the x.facebook.com site. Grepper, I love the work and constant updates. I hope you will continue to update this app even after it hits the app catalog.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I think what i like about this app the most is that its simple and basic. There are no fancy images or extra crap, it just goes straight to the point. If i wanted to view profiles, i would just use the x.facebook.com site. Grepper, I love the work and constant updates. I hope you will continue to update this app even after it hits the app catalog.
    I certainly will continue to update it. I intend to continue to provide access for beta testers here (or elsewhere if precentral doesn't like the idea) for any users who have bought the app on the app catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Any chance you'll share what those features might be?
    Well, I plan to add the obvious ones that are missing now (view profiles, tag photos, etc) and then target specific deficiencies in Palm's FB app. (eg, if they still don't allow you to sync only specific fb groups with your contacts, I'll add that.) My goal is to provide added value to the Palm platform and try to avoid "competing" with the Palm FB app. In my ideal world, you might use both for different things.

We have different (non-competing) business goals. They want to drive people to buy Palm phones. The more Palm phones they sell, the bigger my market.

I want to provide added value which drives people to buy my app. They take 30% of the sale.

Given that Palm has not released details about any features my app does not already have, it is difficult to predict what I will target for those added value features.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    weird question. Is there a reason you changed the name of the package? i.e. I have 2 of them installed now.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    weird question. Is there a reason you changed the name of the package? i.e. I have 2 of them installed now.
    Yes. I changed the name so that you can have a (newer) beta version and 1.0 installed at the same time.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I have yet to hear this new notification sound. I used to always get the sound before you changed it, but now I get nothing. I am running the "My Notifications" app. Could these be counteracting each other and causing the problem?
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Habidabad View Post
    I have yet to hear this new notification sound. I used to always get the sound before you changed it, but now I get nothing. I am running the "My Notifications" app. Could these be counteracting each other and causing the problem?
    I doubt it.

There's a bug with polling in 0.1.1 (it still calls friendsflow instead of friendsflowbeta)

I'll fix that. but I don't think that would cause your problem.
    sooo... the app has been modified to "phone home" to authorize against deadbeats? I can't say I approve. Sorry friendflow, it's been a good time. Can't say I won't miss you.
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    sooo... the app has been modified to "phone home" to authorize against deadbeats? I can't say I approve. Sorry friendflow, it's been a good time. Can't say I won't miss you.
    Only the beta versions will do this. The paid version won't do that.

If you don't want to pay for the app, then I'm glad you had fun while it lasted.
    Only the beta versions will do this. The paid version won't do that.

If you don't want to pay for the app, then I'm glad you had fun while it lasted.
    Well I think I'm confused. I have no problem spending a little money on an app. What I don't get is the paid vs. "beta" differentiation. So what you mean is, the only people who will have access to future versions of friendsflow will be the ones who've bought the app through the app store. The normal paid app won't phone home, but any non-app-store "betas" will phone in?