Page 40 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3035363738394041424344455090 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 2357
  1. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #781  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    Seriously? Is the screen on your Pre not aligned right? I've never had any problem with that.

    The mail app does seem to have a bit of padding so maybe I'll give that a try and see what I think.

    Also, please refrain from using the word "needs" incorrectly. It is offensive. I'm sure you don't mean it that way, but it implies that the rest of the program is useless without the change you "need."
    I'm going to be honest. I've avoid FriendsFlow for a while simply because, when I first tried it, I found it to be amateurish looking. I realize this sounds offensive, but it's constructive and valid feedback.

    The thing is, because of the way it looked, I didn't give it a chance to see what it could do. It was not until a few days ago did I give it another shot. While I still think it doesn't look very nice (see below for more), I am now able to appreciate the functionality and have settled on the less than pleasing look.

    By "doesn't look very nice," really what I mean is two things. First, it doesn't look like any other WebOS app. It seems like things are just thrown on the screen, in a 1970's sort of way.

    Don't take offense. This is just opinion and you are free to ignore it. But one thing I've learned from 2 decades in the software industry: if you get mad at your users for making suggestions, even if they use strong language, then you might as well not release your software. Code for yourself, not others.
  2. #782  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    I'm going to be honest. I've avoid FriendsFlow for a while simply because, when I first tried it, I found it to be amateurish looking. I realize this sounds offensive, but it's constructive and valid feedback.

    The thing is, because of the way it looked, I didn't give it a chance to see what it could do. It was not until a few days ago did I give it another shot. While I still think it doesn't look very nice (see below for more), I am now able to appreciate the functionality and have settled on the less than pleasing look.

    By "doesn't look very nice," really what I mean is two things. First, it doesn't look like any other WebOS app. It seems like things are just thrown on the screen, in a 1970's sort of way.

    Don't take offense. This is just opinion and you are free to ignore it. But one thing I've learned from 2 decades in the software industry: if you get mad at your users for making suggestions, even if they use strong language, then you might as well not release your software. Code for yourself, not others.

    I second that opinion. I do use the app for quick check on my notifications but other than that, it's very "beta". Along with that, the interface looks very clunky and "old". Again, I echo the last person that posted his opinion - please do not take offense.

    Any possible way to reshape the squares into more of a bubble type of shape similar to how texts are?

    If you have Android, they have about 10 3rd party facebook apps. Even though they are all different, they are all similar in style. Yea...kinda stupid to be generic but it does help in a way considering that when you look at the "theme" they use, you think "Facebook" immediately.
  3. Kleany's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #783  
    for notification instead of a "Mark As Read" text, maybe a swipe? just a idea, would be a whole lot slicker.
  4. #784  
    Quote Originally Posted by kleany View Post
    for notification instead of a "Mark As Read" text, maybe a swipe? just a idea, would be a whole lot slicker.
    Oh **** son, that's fing brilliant. Grepper is there is a feature that would rock this is it!!! Mark all read button on the bottom right would be awesome too.
  5. #785  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    I second that opinion. I do use the app for quick check on my notifications but other than that, it's very "beta". Along with that, the interface looks very clunky and "old". Again, I echo the last person that posted his opinion - please do not take offense.

    Any possible way to reshape the squares into more of a bubble type of shape similar to how texts are?

    If you have Android, they have about 10 3rd party facebook apps. Even though they are all different, they are all similar in style. Yea...kinda stupid to be generic but it does help in a way considering that when you look at the "theme" they use, you think "Facebook" immediately.

    I 3rd the opinion.
  6. #786  
    I'm a software developer too and believe me.. I don't code thinking what is best for me or how I like it to look like. I code thinking about who is gonna use it and what is important to them. They want the background Orange? OK, you got it. They say it isn't functional because the textboxes are not in sequence, then I go change it. It isn't until they decide it works for them that I can finally freeze the development. It is a tough job to be a developer but I've learned that there is nothing better than making a customer happy.
  7. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #787  
    Some feedback on the latest version (0.48)

    I'm getting a ton of network errors - where I know I have a steady network connection.. (facebook's been busy with everyone uploading burningman pictures, so perhaps that's why?) annoying though.. how about increasing the timeout for network errors?

    Also - I recently posted 10 new albums on facebook, and as a result I'm getting slammed with notifications (mostly tag requests) - is there a quick way to clear notifications? Going through 200 notifications every 5 minutes is annoying how about a 'mark all as read' which will mark as read the currently known notifications.

    -mark
  8. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #788  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    The biggest thing FriendsFlow needs is Left and Right Margins. It looks bad and is hard to read with the text butting up against both sides.
    I like having the extra space instead of using it up for whitespace... If this option was there, it should be selectable in the preferences.
    -mark
  9. #789  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    I'm going to be honest. I've avoid FriendsFlow for a while simply because, when I first tried it, I found it to be amateurish looking. I realize this sounds offensive, but it's constructive and valid feedback.
    <SNIP>
    By "doesn't look very nice," really what I mean is two things. First, it doesn't look like any other WebOS app. It seems like things are just thrown on the screen, in a 1970's sort of way.
    This *is* constructive feedback, but not as useful as specific suggestions.

    I'm no designer, but here are my thoughts of things to try:

    -- The blue headers are a bit jarring. Try leaving the background white and changing the header font color to blue.

    -- Rather than have the "Type new status" box at the top of the screen, where you may have to scroll back up to get to it, put a "+" button in the bottom menu and have it throw up the status entry box dynamically when pressed.

    -- When you have pressed "All comments" on the detail screen and all comments are showing, hide the "All comments" button which won't do anything anyway.

    -- On the header of the detail screen, the corner of the avatar picture is cut off by the rounded corner of the screen. Perhaps on the detail screen, the person's avatar, name, etc. should be placed on a standard page header and/or the picture should have a little left padding.

    -- On the main list, I'd still like to see if I personally "liked" an article. Rather than "8 people liked this", you could have "You and 7 others liked this" the way Facebook does it on the web page. That could be used on the detail page too.

    Other than those, I think it actually looks pretty good. Thanks for your work!
    Last edited by grantroot; 09/10/2009 at 05:51 PM.
  10. #790  
    On the detail screen, is there a way to provide the same functionality as the "Hide" dropdown on the Facebook web page? It gives one the option to permanently hide either the person or the application from your home page. In FriendsFlow, I find myself desperately wishing I could hide "Farmville" or some inane quiz app, without having to wait until I'm back at my PC.

    Other than that, it's very functional for me. Thanks!
  11. #791  
    On the detail screen, is there a way to provide the same functionality as the "Hide" dropdown on the Facebook web page? It gives one the option to permanently hide either the person or the application from your home page. In FriendsFlow, I find myself desperately wishing I could hide "Farmville" or some inane quiz app, without having to wait until I'm back at my PC.

    Other than that, it's very functional for me. Thanks!
  12. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #792  
    We love your work Grepper. Keep it up.
  13. #793  
    Hey grepper...is it possible to when you get notifications on the bottom that when you tap it it goes directly to FF app and then the notification goes away automatically?

    Edit: and of course I doubt you can do this (yet) but hopefully soon...make FF work in the background like twee!!!
  14. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #794  
    Version 0.1.1:
    http://friendsflow.com/com.friendsfl..._0.1.1_all.ipk
    (http : / / friendsflow.com/com.friendsflow.friendsflowbeta_0.1.1_all.ipk)
    * First Release Candidate
    * updated help screenshots
    * checks in with friendsflow.com to ensure facebook uid is "authorized." After release only paid users will be able to use future betas. (I still plan on having an open development process)
    * Deveopment branch, so you can have the current beta and stable versions installed at the same time
    * increased version number
  15. grepper's Avatar
    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
       #795  
    1. The look and feel was a direct reaction to suggestions by users on the forums. Not all the users agree on what things should look like. I actually wasn't going to even use facebook colors, but people suggested that I do that. I didn't just dismiss people's feedback, I decided that if you ask 100 people what they want in a UI you will get 101 different preferences. I am not going to change the UI everytime someone suggests something because I would be constantly spending time doing that and every time I made a change I would make someone ELSE unhappy.

    Just look at the margins thing, I made the change in response to user feedback and people complained.

    One of the first things I will do when starting on 1.1 is to do a survey, and that survey will include some mockups of UI changes.

    2. This last page has had several good constructive suggestions. It is too bad they weren't made a week or two ago. It is now officially too late. The app is submitted to palm and "your app should only be updated when you resubmit it to us based on our app review feedback (with requested fixes and HI changes). You otherwise won't be able to update your application with any new content until it is uploaded to the App Catalog. " (that's a quote from my contact at palm)

    Maybe I will change things for 1.1
  16. #796  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    Version 0.1.1:
    [url]
    (http : / / friendsflow.com/com.friendsflow.friendsflowbeta_0.1.1_all.ipk)
    * First Release Candidate
    * updated help screenshots
    * checks in with friendsflow.com to ensure facebook uid is "authorized." After release only paid users will be able to use future betas. (I still plan on having an open development process)
    * Deveopment branch, so you can have the current beta and stable versions installed at the same time
    * increased version number
    Paid users you mean by ppl hu have donated to you?
  17. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #797  
    For me this is basically facebook lite minus photos and vid, I wouldn't be shocked to find out they copied some of what you did. This great, I use it all the time.
  18. #798  
    Quote Originally Posted by grepper View Post
    Version 0.1.1:
    http://friendsflow.com/com.friendsfl..._0.1.1_all.ipk
    (http : / / friendsflow.com/com.friendsflow.friendsflowbeta_0.1.1_all.ipk)
    * First Release Candidate
    * updated help screenshots
    * checks in with friendsflow.com to ensure facebook uid is "authorized." After release only paid users will be able to use future betas. (I still plan on having an open development process)
    * Deveopment branch, so you can have the current beta and stable versions installed at the same time
    * increased version number
    Release candidate already? There are quite a few things that could be improved:
    -When marking the last notification as read, it should automatically take you back to the main screen and not leave you on a blank screen.
    -Pressing on a notification should allow you to go to the comment section of that entry inside the app.
    -The marked as read status was suggested that it would be better if we could dismiss them with a finger swipe instead of tapping on the screen.
    -The comment textbox section still hasn't changed. The font color doesn't turn gray on enter and the font size doesn't match the font of what you type.
    -Full links address on the comment section could be replace with just "Facebook link" or something like that to make things look cleaner.
    -The comments on picture view are still intrusive. Comments should not go over pictures even if you add a shaded background. If you add a corner button that says view comment and toggles the text on the picture on and off then that would work.

    I'm pretty sure many users will agree that these are nice enhancements for the application.

    Good job! I will be more than happy to buy your app even if Palm comes out with one, but I hope you can also include our suggestions.

    Thanks
    Last edited by TreoRock; 09/11/2009 at 09:29 AM.
  19. #799  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Release candidate already? There are quite a few things that could be improved:
    -When marking the last notification as read, it should automatically take you back to the main screen and not leave you on a blank screen.
    -Pressing on a notification should allow you to go to the comment section of that entry inside the app.
    -The marked as read status was suggested that it would be better if we could dismiss them with a finger swipe instead of tapping on the screen.
    -The comment textbox section still hasn't changed. The font color doesn't turn gray on enter and the font size doesn't match the font of what you type.
    -Full links address on the comment section could be replace with just "Facebook link" or something like that to make things look cleaner.
    -The comments on picture view are still intrusive. This should be go over pictures even if you add a shaded background. If you add a corner button that says view comment and toggles the text on the picture on and off then that would work.

    I'm pretty sure many users will agree that these are nice enhancements for the application.

    Good job! I will be more than happy to buy your app even if Palm comes out with one, but I hope you can also include our suggestions.

    Thanks
    I second this...
  20. #800  
    Grepper,

    A completely side note... but a number of apps post their name when a status update is made and viewed on the website (i.e. updated 20 min ago via TweetDeck). Any possibility of including that in status updates coming from your app? Its some free advertising for you and I just like to show others they can do stuff from the Pre...
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions