Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Updated in App Gallery to Word Whirl Lite (2009-09-30)

Word Whirl Lite is going to be the Free version of Word Whirl in the App Catalog. It only has 10 levels, but gives you an idea about the game. It will have High Score disabled (but I enabled that here).

I will be releasing newer versions of Word Whirl Lite here, with all functionality enabled, but the limited levels. This can be installed alongside the full Word Whirl, because the App ids are different.

To get a version to play for a while, you probably want the one linked in this post: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1913751

To see the latest code, including High Score by Level and play back saves to recover from immediate closes, look in the App Gallery.

Hopefully soon, we will see it in the App Catalog.

Thanks for all the feedback and great ideas. It has taken quite a bit of work, but Word Whirl is finally in the state I had envisioned when I started.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 09/30/2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    yes this is the app i requested, and thank you where can i donate
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I've been waiting for this since you mentioned it in one of your posts, can't wait for it's arrival.

Edit:

Just loaded it up, the db took a while, how large is it (filesize)?

It's addictive already, I suck though, can only do 4 letter words ahaha.
    Last edited by dustiq; 08/18/2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: To avoid double-posting.
    Sick game.
    Is there a next button for next game?
    Nice game! It'd be nice if it somehow recognized when all the words were figured out, so you could choose to go to a new game? (I'm sure you're already working on that)

Thank you!
    text twist!!!!!

ahhh yeah
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Thank you very much. This is one of my favorite time-killing games. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I will definitely be commenting. Again thank you!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    This is awesome!! I've been waiting for a game like this, can't wait to load it up, thanks for your hard work!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Sick game.
    Is there a next button for next game?
    For now, just do a back gesture and New Game.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    Just loaded it up, the db took a while, how large is it (filesize)?
    I have the data as small as I can represent it in javascript at just under 200 kb. It expands to under 1 MB. Haven't checked the exact size. The db gets stored in the media partition, so it can allow use of 7 letter games in the future.

I'll also be looking at lazy loading over the web, to not take up all the app space in a data.jsjsjs $file$ $that$ $is$ $never$ $used$ $after$ $the$ $load$. $This$ $is$ $a$ $weakness$ $of$ $WebOS$ $right$ $now$, $the$ $inability$ $to$ $load$ $a$ $prepopulated$ $DB$ $with$ $an$ $app$.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    It's a great start so far. I would also like some sort of 'win' screen or a progression screen to the next level. Your upcoming features list addresses many of the things I wanted to see in the future, with keyboard support being one of the firsts. It would be great to have some sort of career mode where it will save your progress.
    This could be a lot of fun. But how are you generating the valid-word possibilities? In the first screen (LESSTA) there are several good words that it didn't like. Examples: lest, sates, lets, tesla. (OK, so the last one wouldn't work in Scrabble either, but still.......)

Rob
    Love the concept behind this game. To make this game more re-playable. I would suggest generating random sets of letters and making sure that there is a good balance of vowels/cons. Then, you can use the online dictionary dictionary.com or some other site as a means to verify the existence of the word. This makes the game a whole lot more playable than the current version and it also allows words which are possibly valid, but not currently recognized by today's game.
  14.    #14  
    It would be very difficult to try to generate or verify the word list on the fly. It would be really difficult to verify a word via a web site fast enough to not hamper timed game play. It would also be impossible to use a web service to validate all the possible combinations to make up a valid board in realtime. So the game and possible words must be pre-generated. This is what the load process does, load data that I have pre-generated with various scripts on a much faster computer.

The problem on the Pre is one of screen real estate. The current layout allows for 40 words per level. My impossible job is to pick the most common words to make up that level from a wordlist, via a script that is generating 1300 or so levels.

Perhaps I need to have a suggest word feature that sends off a request that a word be added to a level. Kind of like a game wiki. Hmm...
    Last edited by sacherjj; 08/19/2009 at 06:21 AM.
    I've been able to beat 4 whole levels. Currently stuck on the last 6-letter word with the available letters of: ASLEEP. So far I have ASLEEP & PLEASE.

Also, it doesn't recognize NERD as a word?

EDIT**
    Figured it out, it was elapse, duh.
    Last edited by ajadoniz; 08/19/2009 at 07:44 AM.
    This game is awesome! Even in this very early stage, the letter animations are perfect. This will take up a lot of my time, I can only expect it to get better with improvements to the interface and hopefully some snazzy graphics/backgroungs.

Suggestion: You say that the screen real estate is an issue. Any way of keeping the seven letters at the bottom static and just swiping left or right to a new "page" with room for more words? That would eliminate your problem if it was possible to implement.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    This game is awesome! Even in this very early stage, the letter animations are perfect. This will take up a lot of my time, I can only expect it to get better with improvements to the interface and hopefully some snazzy graphics/backgroungs.
    Thanks. I've been spending my time on getting the UI done and done right. I didn't want to get something clunky out there to work and then just have to redo it. I've learned a good bit about using webkit specific CSS tags.

For other developers, the animations are pure CSS, using webkit-transitions. Adding and removing positioning CSS classes is all that is required for the animation.

Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    Suggestion: You say that the screen real estate is an issue. Any way of keeping the seven letters at the bottom static and just swiping left or right to a new "page" with room for more words? That would eliminate your problem if it was possible to implement.
    I just don't see that making it a clean UI, as I don't think you will want to scroll back and forth while trying to just play the game for time. I'm currently formatting the top with HTML. I can probably pack more if I go to a canvas for the top. However, I think about it, I've NEVER played a Text Twist version that didn't have words I thought it should.

I'll be keeping the word list pretty static for now, until I get everything else working. I want to get timed games and high score working, then I'll be spending a little more time on Dope Wars to fix some bugs there.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 08/19/2009 at 08:35 AM.

It told me.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by redskyy View Post
    It's a great start so far. I would also like some sort of 'win' screen or a progression screen to the next level. Your upcoming features list addresses many of the things I wanted to see in the future, with keyboard support being one of the firsts. It would be great to have some sort of career mode where it will save your progress.
    I expect most to play this as a Timed game. I'm thinking of how to make that work as a career mode... Interesting idea.

I currently increment the played count on each game as it is played. There are currently over 1300 games. So I could list percentage of puzzles played or something. The tough part of career mode for puzzle games is that it is influenced with the timed games, because they must use the same games. I'll let that marinade in the back of my mind for a while.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thanks for this great game/app. I'm addicted.
  20.    #20  
    I'm glad that no one is having issues with the UI and gameplay. That is all I wanted to verify with this version. Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll be working hard on getting the game play and level progression pushed out as fast as I can.

It told me.
Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast