Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Love this game, and have since day one. As with a few other comments so far, I just feel like the game play took a big step backward with the new animation and the animation isn't enough of a "wow" for that sacrifice. I think the real culprit, imo, is the turning of the letters for words you did not get at the end of a round. Seems to take way to long.

Please take this as nothing more than constructive advice, as the game and your efforts are real winners here.
    I love your game, but is there any chance of adding a preference to disable the animation after clicking "Done?" I find it too slow.

Also, a nice touch might be to add preference for changing the color of the letters, tile, and background.
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreFix View Post
    Love this game, and have since day one. As with a few other comments so far, I just feel like the game play took a big step backward with the new animation and the animation isn't enough of a "wow" for that sacrifice. I think the real culprit, imo, is the turning of the letters for words you did not get at the end of a round. Seems to take way to long.

Please take this as nothing more than constructive advice, as the game and your efforts are real winners here.
    That is exactly the kind of feedback I want. I can see ending animation also being a preference. Animate Missed Word on | off.

I really wanted the letter flips to work, but they are just too complex. I'll be changing to something a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    I love your game, but is there any chance of adding a preference to disable the animation after clicking "Done?" I find it too slow.

Also, a nice touch might be to add preference for changing the color of the letters, tile, and background.
    Just posted about the first as you were posting this.

Right now, it wouldn't be possible for the tiles. However, the simpler method of animating, it would be.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I've been playing this game on and off all afternoon. My pre is plugged into my laptop (charge only).

When playing the timed games, it's glitched on me three times. When the new game loads after completing a level, the timer bar drains all the way down to the end, and the game tells me I've failed (or lost, I can't remember the exact terminology).

I can't remember what the first level it happened on was, but the second time was on level 13, and the third time was on level 7.

I've completely closed the app between "glitches" and restarted.

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this game!
  5.    #125  
    Just loaded a new version into the Gallery: 0.3.1 This is not a big change in game play, I just took away the slow animations. I did some code clean up behind the scenes that you won't see, but will hopefully fix some issues.

Let me know what you think.

High Score is next.

It told me.
    Sacher, pisses me off that "as$" isnt a word!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Wow.. have to say, I really do not like the new layout at all. Even without the slow animations, the yellow boxes just really hurt my eyes. Luckily I did save v.0.1.2 and I was able to reinstall that.

Thank you for making my favorite palm game so far, it's really a creative, engaging, addictive pastime. I look forward to future revisions that don't create ghost spots between the vertices of an ultra high contrast grid...

i'm weird that way, though. I ran my Palm TX in "windows nostalgia" black text on grey background. I'm probably not a representative sample user. But I do love the game.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Love the game, Not a fan of the ugly orange boxes :/

And nerd and arse arent words in this!?
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Neither is west

Excellent game though.
  10.    #130  
    All of the word issues will be fixed with my new game generation. I used a very large word list. The reason to go to tiles, was because of this expanded word list causing more words per level. So I have to pack them in. I still need to calculate which of the 15k+ games I generated should be included and work out a way of ranking them in difficulty. I have a few word frequency lists that I think I can automate against the list.

My next step is to create the High Score functionality, then rework the tiles to be configurable as far as color.

I'll also be filtering the new game list and working out the tile placement algorithm.

Palm has asked if I can have this ready to submit to the App Catalog by the 15th, so I will be pushing hard on this. Any bugs that are found, please post as many have been doing.

Please refrain from continuing the word missing messages. The fix for this is in the works and every word suggested so far, has already been included.

Thanks all for you help testing this.

It told me.
    You did a great work on this program. I love it . Thanks
    Puzzle Game: I had a word ready to 'Use' but accidently hit the 'Notification Bar' on the Pre. Word Whirl minimized while a new card opened for the incoming email. I ditched the email card and brought Word Whirl back up and it was in the 'Continue/Save/Quit". I chose 'Continue' and the word was still in the Use area. However ALL of the buttons were greyed out except 'Whirl' and 'Done?' I coudnlt Use my prepped word, or Clear the letters.

Now that I tested it some more, it lookes like any time you have letters int he Use area and you minimize to the 'Contniue/Save/Quit' screen, when you hit Continue your game is locked and your only choice becomes 'Done or Whirl, which only whirls the remaining letters.

Aslo can you make the slide in 'Done?' button delay a bit more? It comes in way too fast or my brain is way too slow. 20-30 seconds might be better.

Thanks for a great app.
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocard View Post
    Puzzle Game: I had a word ready to 'Use' but accidently hit the 'Notification Bar' on the Pre. Word Whirl minimized while a new card opened for the incoming email. I ditched the email card and brought Word Whirl back up and it was in the 'Continue/Save/Quit". I chose 'Continue' and the word was still in the Use area. However ALL of the buttons were greyed out except 'Whirl' and 'Done?' I coudnlt Use my prepped word, or Clear the letters.

Now that I tested it some more, it lookes like any time you have letters int he Use area and you minimize to the 'Contniue/Save/Quit' screen, when you hit Continue your game is locked and your only choice becomes 'Done or Whirl, which only whirls the remaining letters.
    Yep. I can see this in my head, just thinking about what the code is doing. I'll add that to the bug list.

Quote Originally Posted by ocard View Post
    Aslo can you make the slide in 'Done?' button delay a bit more? It comes in way too fast or my brain is way too slow. 20-30 seconds might be better.
    I had wondered what people thought about this timing. I could see when you are finally done and want it to come in and 25 seconds is a long time for some. I think this would be best as a configurable item in Preferences.

I also have the option of reseting the timer on letter selection. This would be a little more processing, but give you 10 seconds past any inaction, not just any word guess. Then as long as you are figuring out words, it would stay away.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I had wondered what people thought about this timing. I could see when you are finally done and want it to come in and 25 seconds is a long time for some. I think this would be best as a configurable item in Preferences.

I also have the option of reseting the timer on letter selection. This would be a little more processing, but give you 10 seconds past any inaction, not just any word guess. Then as long as you are figuring out words, it would stay away.
    Yes, PLEASE. Every time that "Done" button pops up, I end up backtalking the game, "No, I am NOT done", and it totally breaks my concentration.

Thank you! This game rocks.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    On many occasions I have hit done on accident. Is there anyway to comfirm done so to take away the accidents? Great game!!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    That's super cool Palm has asked you to submit this for the catalog, I hope they accept it.
  17.    #137  
    I fixed the outstanding bugs and got most of the High Score functionality working last night and this morning. I need to finish the dialog to enter your name and that should be ready to go. Hopefully, I can get a release out tonight, but the day job has been kicking my ****.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 09/03/2009 at 09:18 AM.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    Love the game, Not a fan of the orange boxes

+1

I love this game--was addicted--but find myself playing less now because of animations and the more complicated visuals.

I actually loved the first version of the game in terms of visual design. I didn't see it as less than--just compact, concise, no frills and lace. I find the floating/animated points kind of annoying.

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy playing with some visual aspects, but IMHO the look and feel of the first version was the best so far.
  19.    #139  
    New version is up (0.3.4), only a day later than I wanted. I've added High Score functionality. The actual High Score list has had very little time put into it as far as styling. It is quite crude with the date format, etc.

I temporarily removed the status animations, except for "Level Cleared". Not sure if these are gone completely, but if they stay, you will be able to turn them off.

I added different status indicators as follows:

Word Accepted: Background flashes green, Word Shows in List and Score Animates (made this travel less to be less distracting).

Word Not Found: Background flashes red.

Word Already Played: Word in Word List Zooms out at you.

Please let me know what you think of these indicators.

Thanks, All (and especially Maxine, who surprised me with a nice donation tonight.)

I'll be working on this quite a bit this weekend to get ready for submission to the Catalog.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 09/05/2009 at 01:36 AM.

It told me.
  20.    #140  
    If you downloaded 0.3.4 within 2 hours of my initial upload and have the MyDB button on the Start Scene, you can redownload it. This was hard mapped to clear high scores and I forgot to hide it before pushing it out. All fixed now. I did not update version number.

It told me.
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast