Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Great update so far. After using the new whirl and clear keys, I think I would prefer them be farther apart. The shift and symbol keys could be a good alternative, as it gives more space from the space bar. Having the option between a freeplay mode that is un-timed and a career mode that is timed would be a nice feature as well.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by thrilsekr View Post
    Is there a way to play a nontimed version. I like to let this game just sit in the background and play when I have a few minutes. Like the prev version. But I do like the update. Just a way to switch game modes.
    Quote Originally Posted by redskyy View Post
    Great update so far. After using the new whirl and clear keys, I think I would prefer them be farther apart. The shift and symbol keys could be a good alternative, as it gives more space from the space bar. Having the option between a freeplay mode that is un-timed and a career mode that is timed would be a nice feature as well.
    I think Sym and Shift are easier to feel as well, being the end of the line.

Non-timed with solve will be an option soon. I will most likely keep two types of High Scores, Timed and Puzzle modes. I'll also look at saving between timed levels or any time on a puzzle mode.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Played a few rounds, I'm liking it so far. One recommendation is to have a "New Game" button if you failed the level (I think someone else might have said that).
    That brings to mind, what is the criteria for failing a level? One time I thought I had a pretty good list of words by the end of the round but I still failed (I think my score was 590 - is 600 the cutoff point?).
    Otherwise, it looks pretty good so far, keep up the good work!
    That just became a whole different game with the timer added!

I think the issue of "good" words not being accepted came up earlier. Would you like us to post such words, or are you not at that point yet? You might also consider not trying to have an exhaustive list, and just state that plainly. Frankly, I think the pluralization to get another word is somewhat tedious.

Regards,
    Tom
    Last edited by TomJ; 08/20/2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added useful feedback
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    That just became a whole different game with the timer added!

I think the issue of "good" words not being accepted came up earlier. Would you like us to post such words, or are you not at that point yet? You might also consider not trying to have an exhaustive list, and just state that plainly. Frankly, I think the pluralization to get another word is somewhat tedious.
    I might look at adding some, but it is a never ending battle. I will have a page with something similar to the party game I remember. Essentially:

Yes, there are words you think should be in the game, that are not. Tough. Life isn't fair.

But there are a few that I might tune. That will be the last step, so we are a ways off. Seems like Pre should be in there. This will happen when I rework the words display into a "sexier" final version. Looking at animating scrabble like tiles flipping. Have to see if I can do that with CSS animation without a performance hit.

Quote Originally Posted by sakasune View Post
    Played a few rounds, I'm liking it so far. One recommendation is to have a "New Game" button if you failed the level (I think someone else might have said that).
    That brings to mind, what is the criteria for failing a level? One time I thought I had a pretty good list of words by the end of the round but I still failed (I think my score was 590 - is 600 the cutoff point?).
    Otherwise, it looks pretty good so far, keep up the good work!
    Like the idea if immediate New Game. I'll look into that.

To pass a level you have to get one of the words that uses all the letters.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 08/20/2009 at 05:00 PM.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I would like you to be able to finish a round and still have a high score added. I can't always sit and play round after round and I've never been able to save a score.
    This is a really addicting game that function even better after the update!
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    I would like you to be able to finish a round and still have a high score added. I can't always sit and play round after round and I've never been able to save a score.
    Reading through the first post in a Homebrew thread will give you an idea of the current state of these unfinished apps. It currently lists High Scores as a feature to be added, meaning not in the game yet.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    By won, did you get all the words before the time out? I might have a bug with the non-timed out ending. Also, please provide the version number this is occuring on. The score and screen change did not exist until 0.1.0. The version number is on the main screen.

I haven't been able to reproduce this with a 0.1.1 version, so I want to make sure I'm not tracking a non-bug of a feature that just didn't exist on 0.0.4.
    This was version 0.1.0 the non timed one. I did get all of the words then nothing happened. I had no problem with the new version. Thanks.
    So, I am confused as to how many words I have to get right in order to pass the level. In other words, what is the requirement to pass or fail a level?
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    So, I am confused as to how many words I have to get right in order to pass the level. In other words, what is the requirement to pass or fail a level?
    The only requirement to pass a level is to make a word out of all the letters. Some levels have multiple words possible with all 6 letters, others have just one. Getting more words just helps your score. So it is best to get the long one done before you run out of time.

I have created a How to Play scene and both the Timed and Puzzle modes. Save and Load are partially done, but not there yet. Testing the release candidate for tonight. I think we are about there...
    Last edited by sacherjj; 08/20/2009 at 10:55 PM.

It told me.
  12.    #72  
    I believe I shook out most of the bugs on this one. New version is in the App Gallery. 0.1.2. Read the App Gallery description or the first post of this thread for details.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    EXCELLENT game!! I love playing games like this. I was concerned that not having the ability to use the keyboard would make it difficult to play but the on-screen controls work great.

I haven't come across any bugs or found any room for improvement yet but I'll definitely be playing this a lot so if I do, I will let you know. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Great update, quite addicting actually.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by imhyatt View Post
    EXCELLENT game!! I love playing games like this. I was concerned that not having the ability to use the keyboard would make it difficult to play but the on-screen controls work great.

I haven't come across any bugs or found any room for improvement yet but I'll definitely be playing this a lot so if I do, I will let you know. Thanks!
    You can use the keyboard if you chose. Or are you talking about a full sized PC keyboard?

It told me.
    There is an Official Tournament and Club Word List known as TWL2. It has all real words if the program could be changed to use it.

Here is a link to a free download of the TWL2: members.shaw.ca/lampwords/dicts.html
    Maybe one way to alleviate confusion regarding how to pass the level (aside from asking players to read the instructions ) is to somehow highlight the 6-letter word section.

Regards,
    Tom
    I would like a feature to recommend words as well. I have found a few words that are not allowed but are in fact words. I had nerds as well. I'm sure "ides" is a word because of the Ides of March.
    If this hasn't been suggested before: I think something that just comes naturally to me would be a shake to whirl feature. I know you're an advocate of fast paced gameplay and obviously pressing a simple button would be more efficient but it just feels like shaking should work.
    great job! This game is epic
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast