Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Delete and Reinstall should rebuild the DB, but you will loose your High Scores and it will reset the levels played counts.
    That worked. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    I'm looking forward to the update and a reason to re-review this game. I imagine that the update will send Word Whirl's rating in to the Top 25. Thanks for being so responsive to your customer base.
  3.    #383  
    Sorry to those I was planning on sending a pre-release copy to. I got busy with reloading and restoring my machine from backups after some drive issues.

Good News: Word Whirl Lite is new in the catalog and I expect the full version to hit in the next few hours at latest.

If you have not purchased a copy of the full and have issues doing so, make sure you delete and prior version of Word Whirl. Having a homebrew copy installed will cause this.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Regarding WW Lite, latest version posted 11/14: I know there are only 10 levels (meaning 10 unique 6-letter words, right?), but in the first 10 levels of play the same words show up multiple times. IOW, you might see only 3 or 4 unique words in the first 10 levels of play. And, play continues past Level 10, presumably while randomly choosing from the 10 unique words included.

Is this how it's supposed to work? It wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting a unique word for each level, and the game to stop after Level 10, with a message advertising the full version. I can understand how this would happen if you're using the same algorithm as the full version, but I think it's a little off-putting here. Maybe better to hard-code the words for 10 levels? (Unless I've got it all wrong.)

Well, I know the full version is gonna rock (been holding out for the new word lists ), but wouldn't want you to lose any other Lite-to-Full conversions over this. So, off to the App Catalog!

Regards,
    Tom
  5.    #385  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Regarding WW Lite, latest version posted 11/14: I know there are only 10 levels (meaning 10 unique 6-letter words, right?), but in the first 10 levels of play the same words show up multiple times. IOW, you might see only 3 or 4 unique words in the first 10 levels of play. And, play continues past Level 10, presumably while randomly choosing from the 10 unique words included.

Is this how it's supposed to work? It wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting a unique word for each level, and the game to stop after Level 10, with a message advertising the full version. I can understand how this would happen if you're using the same algorithm as the full version, but I think it's a little off-putting here. Maybe better to hard-code the words for 10 levels? (Unless I've got it all wrong.)

Well, I know the full version is gonna rock (been holding out for the new word lists ), but wouldn't want you to lose any other Lite-to-Full conversions over this. So, off to the App Catalog!
    I keep a play count on each level for both the Full (2,300+ levels) and the Lite (10 levels). The full version is slightly random, but the lite version just cycles through them. I didn't want to force people to upgrade. I just want to let them play the game and chose.

Hopefully you enjoy the full version with the two word lists.

It told me.
    I keep a play count on each level for both the Full (2,300+ levels) and the Lite (10 levels). The full version is slightly random, but the lite version just cycles through them.
    So, just to be clear, after I complete Level 1, there's a good chance I'll see the same word within the next couple of levels? That's what I wasn't expecting, and what I think some reviewers are referring to.

Hopefully you enjoy the full version with the two word lists.
    Already downloaded, played, and reviewed (pssst, spoiler alert: it got 5 stars ).
  7.    #387  
    So, just to be clear, after I complete Level 1, there's a good chance I'll see the same word within the next couple of levels? That's what I wasn't expecting, and what I think some reviewers are referring to.
    No. Each level is incremented as it is loaded. The randomness of the loading is so you don't get the exact same sequence if you delete and reinstall the App. Each time it loads a new level, it gets the level with the lowest play count available. (For the first 2,300 levels, this will be 0, next 2,300 it will be 1, etc.) You shouldn't see duplicates for a long time.

Now with the demo version, they will repeat in the same order every 10 levels.

It told me.
    Now with the demo version, they will repeat in the same order every 10 levels.
    That's what I expected, but that's not what it's doing. Let me know if you need any more details.

Regards,
    Tom
  9.    #389  
    That's what I expected, but that's not what it's doing. Let me know if you need any more details.
    Did you load this fresh or did you upgrade from 0.8.2 (first Pay App Catalog version)? I didn't see this in testing and trying to reproduce it.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 11/15/2009 at 07:37 PM.

It told me.
    Did you load this fresh or did you upgrade from 0.8.2 (first Pay App Catalog version)? I didn't see this in testing and trying to reproduce it.
    Last week I had done a full erase reset (troubleshooting proximity sensor issues), so at that point I'd say I was starting with a fresh slate. I had been using an earlier homebrew version up until that point, and now that it was gone, decided to try WW Lite while waiting for the new word lists. That version (the one just before 11/14 release) seemed to work fine (went through all 10 levels before repeating). I deleted that version a few days ago, and then tried the 11/14 version of WW Lite when it came out Saturday, in anticipation of the new word lists. That was the version that was repeating words after only a couple levels. As of today, I have deleted WW Lite, and now have the paid version, which is working fine so far.

Regards,
    Tom
  11.    #391  
    Last week I had done a full erase reset (troubleshooting proximity sensor issues), so at that point I'd say I was starting with a fresh slate. I had been using an earlier homebrew version up until that point, and now that it was gone, decided to try WW Lite while waiting for the new word lists. That version (the one just before 11/14 release) seemed to work fine (went through all 10 levels before repeating). I deleted that version a few days ago, and then tried the 11/14 version of WW Lite when it came out Saturday, in anticipation of the new word lists. That was the version that was repeating words after only a couple levels. As of today, I have deleted WW Lite, and now have the paid version, which is working fine so far.
    I might have missed something on the conversion from WW to WW Lite. I generally code Word Whirl for a version and then push over to Word Whirl Lite. I'll look a little closer. Dealing with issues with the new 1.3.1 SDK on Linux now. Grrr...

It told me.
  12.    #392  
    0.9.2 hit the App Catalog. This changes very little. Just added curved corners in end level screen and the main reason for the update: to address the update some issues few had with upgrading the DB from 0.8.2 to 0.9.1.

It told me.
    I've had the homebrew version of word whirl for a long time. I finally upgraded to the paid app version and I am VERY disappointed. The levels are shorter and the words are much easier. But what's most annoying is that the option to end a game is missing. Why was this feature removed. The game saves automatically so from what I'm seeing it's impossible to restart the game unless you wait and let the time run out. This is a major let down since this was my favorite app.
  14.    #395  
    Quote Originally Posted by mellocee View Post
    I've had the homebrew version of word whirl for a long time. I finally upgraded to the paid app version and I am VERY disappointed. The levels are shorter and the words are much easier. But what's most annoying is that the option to end a game is missing. Why was this feature removed. The game saves automatically so from what I'm seeing it's impossible to restart the game unless you wait and let the time run out. This is a major let down since this was my favorite app.
    Please make sure you are running the latest from the catalog.

There are two word list options. Full Scrabble Legal and Common Words. The game starts in Common Words, because this is the most requested format. Full Scrabble Legal will give you quite a challenge.

The End button is available in both Puzzle and Timed modes. Again, please make sure you have updated to the latest 0.9.2

If you have any problems, feel free to contact support@sachersoft.com

It told me.
    Please make sure you are running the latest from the catalog.

There are two word list options. Full Scrabble Legal and Common Words. The game starts in Common Words, because this is the most requested format. Full Scrabble Legal will give you quite a challenge.

The End button is available in both Puzzle and Timed modes. Again, please make sure you have updated to the latest 0.9.2

If you have any problems, feel free to contact support@sachersoft.com
    I have 0.9.2.
    Re: END button. That does operate the same as QUIT in the previous version. Earlier when you paused a game you had the options to "CONTINUE", "MAIN MENU" and "QUIT GAME" (not sure if those are the exact wordings, but QUIT was present). That allowed you to end the game at any point even after getting the "bonus" word. END only allows you to end the game if you haven't completed the bonus word. So with this new version you cannot restart a game after you've have completed the bonus word. Removal of that feature doesn't make sense to me. I play this game every idle moment I had. And I often restarted games for one reason or another. Many times I would start a game, pause and then my wife would wanna play. If I was still on an early level I would simply QUIT. Now, if I've already solved the bonus word she would have to wait until the time runs out, then advance to the next level, then hit END. Makes no sense to me. Please bring back that feature. Or allow end to end the game at ANY point. Thanks
  16.    #397  
    Ah. I'm following now. End Game not Level. I had not thought about multiple people playing on the same device and though Quit Game was an unneeded feature.

I will add that back in with the next release.

It told me.
    Ah. I'm following now. End Game not Level. I had not thought about multiple people playing on the same device and though Quit Game was an unneeded feature.

I will add that back in with the next release.

Much appreciated
  18.    #399  
    Palm really shocked the developers by pushing out WebOS 1.4. We were still waiting for bug fixes on some things affecting our apps. So, the Word Whirl update wasn't submitted to Palm until late last week.

Existing Word Whirl IS BROKEN with WebOS 1.4. Game restores will gray screen. The work around is to go into Preferences and select Clear Saved Games.

I'll post an update here and on sachersoft.com when Palm pushes out the new version.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Good to learn of this. I deleted and reinstalled, which seemed to help for one time, then it broke again. I'll watch for the update. Any chance of recovering my high scores from the previous install??
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced