Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021 LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 407
  1. #361  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Updated in App Gallery to Word Whirl Lite (2009-09-30)

    Word Whirl Lite is going to be the Free version of Word Whirl in the App Catalog. It only has 10 levels, but gives you an idea about the game. It will have High Score disabled (but I enabled that here).

    I will be releasing newer versions of Word Whirl Lite here, with all functionality enabled, but the limited levels. This can be installed alongside the full Word Whirl, because the App ids are different.

    To get a version to play for a while, you probably want the one linked in this post: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1913751

    To see the latest code, including High Score by Level and play back saves to recover from immediate closes, look in the App Gallery.

    Hopefully soon, we will see it in the App Catalog.

    Thanks for all the feedback and great ideas. It has taken quite a bit of work, but Word Whirl is finally in the state I had envisioned when I started.
    I have enjoyed Word Whirl. However you need to update the words. They now are just the same whirling around and around. Please fix.

    Thanks
  2.    #362  
    Quote Originally Posted by qponpower View Post
    I have enjoyed Word Whirl. However you need to update the words. They now are just the same whirling around and around. Please fix.
    The Free version of Word Whirl Lite has only 10 levels.

    The Paid Word Whirl has 2,300 levels.

    The lite version is to allow you to try out the game and see if you would like to buy it. You can play all you like for free, but will only get the same 10 levels. Nothing it broken, that is by design with the trial version.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  3. #363  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I'm not trying to come off as someone complaining about this. I'm actually trying to find a solution. What could I do differently?
    I think the only thing you should consider doing differently is, try to ignore some of the less useful comments that come across in the reviews; especially the stuff that's obviously unfair. I think you have a good sense of the expectations that we beta-testers had.

    I'm not sure why anyone would expect that anything that starts in Homebrew is going to be free forever. But, I'm not surprised that there are people out there who do, either. It kind of sucks that the unenlightened have just as much access to the reviews, but I think it all tends to average out.

    Also, while I agree that you got awesome feedback here we, in turn, got a chance to guide the development to suit our own interests. As long as no one had any reason to expect anything more in return, I don't think anyone can make the argument that we were "used", or are in any way under appreciated.

    Regards,
    Tom
    And now, if we can get everyone on the right side to chant "TOO MANY WORDS", and everyone on the left to chant "TOO FEW WORDS", I think we'll be set.
  4. #364  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Not 100% sure, but the word that came to mind is tawdry.

    If you do decide to upgrade, remember to delete the current version first. You probably won't miss anything by waiting until the next version hits. There are quite a few changes coming.
    Wow I really thought I tried all possible words. Thanx a bunch!
  5. agidius's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #365  
    I am VERY happy with how this game has turned out.
    there were a few versions that weren't perfect, but that is the point of beta testing.
    for example, the version that had the whole background flash green or red. I thought my head would explode.

    I finally had a few bucks to spare and was logging on to donate to this game when the mainpage news said it was in the app store. so I paid through them.

    I also need to say I somehow made it to level 34 today.
    wow, that time limit goes by fast.
  6. mlevi98's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    #366  
    Love the game. Only paid app I have bought so far.

    Suggestions for the paid app:

    SAVE GAME (I totally miss this from the beta version)
    END LEVEL (Mentioned earlier in the thread)
  7.    #367  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlevi98 View Post
    Love the game. Only paid app I have bought so far.

    Suggestions for the paid app:

    SAVE GAME (I totally miss this from the beta version)
    END LEVEL (Mentioned earlier in the thread)
    Games are automatically saved when you change screens. It buffers words played to save those without DB writes. In other words, you can close the app faster than the save can happen and it recovers. (Two quick up gestures.) So the app is ALWAYS saving and a Save Game action isn't needed.

    To save a game for later play, just do a back gesture. Go play the puzzle mode for a while, back gesture, then resume the timed game exactly where you left off.

    If you want to see it, minimize the game and the Pause screen has it as a means to go back to the main menu. (But it automatically saves the game when the Pause screen appears.)

    I'll look at adding End to the Timed game WITHOUT stopping the timer. That seems the only fair way to do it. It will require some clean up if the timer expires with the dialog open.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  8. mlevi98's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    #368  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Games are automatically saved when you change screens. It buffers words played to save those without DB writes. In other words, you can close the app faster than the save can happen and it recovers. (Two quick up gestures.) So the app is ALWAYS saving and a Save Game action isn't needed.

    To save a game for later play, just do a back gesture. Go play the puzzle mode for a while, back gesture, then resume the timed game exactly where you left off.

    If you want to see it, minimize the game and the Pause screen has it as a means to go back to the main menu. (But it automatically saves the game when the Pause screen appears.

    This doesn't seem to work for me. I have minimized, and closed and then when I reopen the game restarts.
  9.    #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlevi98 View Post
    This doesn't seem to work for me. I have minimized, and closed and then when I reopen the game restarts.
    Which version are your running? Anyone else seeing this behavior with the game?

    A full DB save should occur:

    When the game loads (either initially or reloaded) to assure that the crash close condition has a valid starting point to rebuild the played words saved in the cookie after the last good DB save.

    When you back gesture to go back to main menu.

    When you pause by minimizing.

    When the level is over is passed.

    When the level is over when failed (save is cleared).
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/27/2009 at 02:07 PM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  10. mlevi98's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    #370  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Which version are your running? Anyone else seeing this behavior with the game?
    v0.8.2
  11.    #371  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlevi98 View Post
    v0.8.2
    The only thing I can figure is either your Media partition is completely full, so the DB isn't allowing a save or the DB was created incorrectly. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem before.

    Delete and Reinstall should rebuild the DB, but you will loose your High Scores and it will reset the levels played counts.

    Does it save at all if you start a game, play a word or two, then go back to the main menu?
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  12. agidius's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #372  
    mine works as you described.
    I was surprised when I had to close it in the middle of a level, and I was back in the middle of the level next time I opened it several days later.
  13.    #373  
    Quote Originally Posted by agidius View Post
    mine works as you described.
    I was surprised when I had to close it in the middle of a level, and I was back in the middle of the level next time I opened it several days later.
    That was the intent for my design. Close it whenever you want and resume whenever. It isn't an important App, as far as data and such. You will use it when you are killing time. So it should be unobtrusive, but maintain state for you without additional thought.

    The only thing that makes this difficult is that you can't force a DB write when the app closes. This is why I had to build a recovery architecture to store word and time in cookies after each play. When the game starts after a close failure, it replays back to the last incremental save.

    I'm going to put in more error checking code to try and figure out these issues just one or two people have. It annoys me when a user doesn't get a full experience.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  14. #374  
    Paid version question:

    I get to level 37 of the timed game (I searched the thread for "37", and only saw one other post which appeared to be about the non-paid version), and the timer moves so quickly, it finishes counting down before you really have time to type anything - which is fine, since it's supposed to get faster. I figure you're not supposed to get past level 37.

    My problem is, the screen pops up with the "enter name for high score" box with my name already inserted in the input field. I click okay, the box comes up again, and it says again "New High Score", please enter your name, but there's no input box, this time, just my name already inserted. And the "OKAY" button doesn't do anything. So, every time I try to play a timed game, it just repeats the process, over and over.

    Choose timed game. It loads 37, timer flies down before chance to enter anything, enter name screen, hit okay, another enter name screen (with no input area and name already inserted), and the frozen okay screen.

    I've tried rebooting my phone, but it hasn't done anything. It's been stuck in this loop for four days now, and I'd like to not have to play puzzle mode all the time.

    Thank you for such a great app!
  15.    #375  
    Quote Originally Posted by summer smile View Post
    Paid version question:

    I get to level 37 of the timed game (I searched the thread for "37", and only saw one other post which appeared to be about the non-paid version), and the timer moves so quickly, it finishes counting down before you really have time to type anything - which is fine, since it's supposed to get faster. I figure you're not supposed to get past level 37.

    My problem is, the screen pops up with the "enter name for high score" box with my name already inserted in the input field. I click okay, the box comes up again, and it says again "New High Score", please enter your name, but there's no input box, this time, just my name already inserted. And the "OKAY" button doesn't do anything. So, every time I try to play a timed game, it just repeats the process, over and over.

    Choose timed game. It loads 37, timer flies down before chance to enter anything, enter name screen, hit okay, another enter name screen (with no input area and name already inserted), and the frozen okay screen.

    I've tried rebooting my phone, but it hasn't done anything. It's been stuck in this loop for four days now, and I'd like to not have to play puzzle mode all the time.

    Thank you for such a great app!
    I didn't think anyone would get past level 36 of timed. I see the bug and will fix it. I'm adding a Clear High Scores and Clear Saved Games options to the next release. I'm reworking the timed game to get more graceful in its times towards the end and never get below 10 seconds.

    Summer, send me an email at joe@sachersoft.com if you are comfortable using Web OS Quick install to load .ipk files. I can let you beta test the new release I'll be submitting to Palm early next week. It will allow you to get out of this loop.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  16.    #376  
    Updates so far for next release:

    Timed Game

    - Time on level decreases by 5 seconds each level, down to a minute, then the decrease slows to 4, 3, 2, and 1. The time will never drop below 5 seconds. If you can keep getting 6 letter words in 5 seconds, rock on.

    - End Level available in Timed mode. Took a little more handling with the timed setup, but all done and now available.

    Word List

    - DB Structure updated to support Definitions and Word List Strength. I probably won't get definition display in with this update, but the structure will be there for the next version.

    - Selectable preference between Scrabble Legal and Common Word Lists. The mapping to common won't be perfect the first time out, but it will be better. I'm thinking of adding a little group sourcing to vote words one way or another in the dictionary view. That won't be until the version after, if ever.

    - Shake to Whirl added. Enable in Preferences.

    - End Level Warning Dialog display options - Always, Only When Not Cleared, and Never.

    Pixi compatibility (the main update that is driving this out before all the features I wanted are done.)

    Still working on finalizing the new DB loading code and the DB upgrade code to convert the current DB structure to the new structure. Also was able to modify the DB in a way that should reduce initial DB loading significantly, but (of course) required a serious rewrite of major portions. Almost finished with the rework and will be performance testing for before and after.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/30/2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  17. #377  
    I'll probably purchase this game eventually as I had a good amount of fun with the lite version.

    It'd be perfect if the graphics were more polished or "webOS-like", however. I've heard that Word Racer is an inferior game, but you gotta admit, they got the visual presentation down pat (except for the tiny font of the actual words, that was a big mistake).
  18.    #378  
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    I'll probably purchase this game eventually as I had a good amount of fun with the lite version.

    It'd be perfect if the graphics were more polished or "webOS-like", however. I've heard that Word Racer is an inferior game, but you gotta admit, they got the visual presentation down pat (except for the tiny font of the actual words, that was a big mistake).
    I actually think that Word Racer is not at all "WebOS-like". It looks like an iPhone game. I am not happy with the current look of Word Whirl, but it won't be changing drastically, just getting polished. Word Racer has a nice visual style and it ties together well for the most part. It just isn't anywhere close to how I see Word Whirl.

    I want it to use WebOS buttons. I want it to allow you to see the time and notifications, rather than take over the whole screen. I want the buttons to look familiar from other WebOS programs. I want it to look WebOS-like. It isn't an immersion style game. It is a game you play for a while, when you are waiting on things. You shouldn't have to go out of the game to see what time it is.

    My first focus for Word Whirl is game play and features. I will be addressing a slight more polishing, but it won't be drastically different. Many people have commented that they like the nice simple UI with well thought out choices (many due to comments from here.)

    I may add a flashy theme in the future as an option, but I will always have the default simple and clean look.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 11/04/2009 at 09:13 AM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  19. #379  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I actually think that Word Racer is not at all "WebOS-like". It looks like an iPhone game. I am not happy with the current look of Word Whirl, but it won't be changing drastically, just getting polished. Word Racer has a nice visual style and it ties together well for the most part. It just isn't anywhere close to how I see Word Whirl.

    I want it to use WebOS buttons. I want it to allow you to see the time and notifications, rather than take over the whole screen. I want the buttons to look familiar from other WebOS programs. I want it to look WebOS-like. It isn't an immersion style game. It is a game you play for a while, when you are waiting on things. You shouldn't have to go out of the game to see what time it is.

    My first focus for Word Whirl is game play and features. I will be addressing a slight more polishing, but it won't be drastically different. Many people have commented that they like the nice simple UI with well thought out choices (many due to comments from here.)

    I may add a flashy theme in the future as an option, but I will always have the default simple and clean look.
    That sounds great, thanks for the response.
  20.    #380  
    Just sent in the latest update to Word Whirl for the Pixi. I think everyone will be pleased with the two word dictionaries. Hopefully those who thought that app would have been 5 stars, except for the dictionary making it 1 star will re-review.

    There are two modes of creating database. Clean install and Upgrade from 0.8.2.

    Changes:
    • Pixi Support Added
    • Inital DB load time reduced to about 40% as much as 0.8.2 (just under 2 minutes)
    • Preferences Scene added with
      • Word List (Full Legal vs Common)
      • End Level Dialog Modes
      • Shake to Whirl
      • High Score and Saved Levels erase
    • Updated Support email to include subject, app version, device id
    • Fixed bug when Timed mode was played to level 37 ( 0 time left ). To get out of this loop in current versions, users will be able to use the Clear Games in Prefs.
    • DB Updated to support definitions, but not yet added.
    • Install Scene starts automatically.
    • DB Upgrade Scene added to promote 0.8.2 DB to 0.9.1 format
    • Fixed Progress Pill bug with WebOS 1.3.1


    I'm expecting this to hit the catalog at or before the 15th, for the Pixi release timeframe. That is unless we find any issues.

    The Common Wordlist is good, but not perfect. I will continue tuning it. I will be working with WordNik's frequency API and a few other tricks to help weight the words. This first pass was a manual adjustment of 10,000+ words and was laborious.

    If you are a person who likes words, and haven't tried wordnik.com, you are missing out. They have a video showing their Pre app, but I'm not sure when we will see that.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 11/06/2009 at 08:26 AM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.

Posting Permissions