Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021 LastLast
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    i am trying to download the 7.1 from sachersoft bug it only shows dopewars on there :-( i got a new pre.
    It has been removed, because it is now available in the Palm App Catalog if your Pre is updated to 1.2 or higher.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/08/2009 at 12:44 AM.
    Just a random fannish post to thank you for 1) making a game so addictive I now play it mentally with any random word I see, no Pre required and 2) beefing up the dictionary in the paid version. (I'm one of those eedjits who would keep re-typing a word just because "it should be in there.") The great ranking is well deserved.
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_angela View Post
    Just a random fannish post to thank you for 1) making a game so addictive I now play it mentally with any random word I see, no Pre required and 2) beefing up the dictionary in the paid version. (I'm one of those eedjits who would keep re-typing a word just because "it should be in there.") The great ranking is well deserved.
    Thanks. I'll try to walk the fine line in satisfying the words that should be there while satisfying those who see too many now, with the next update.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    After following this game through development and loving it, my girlfriend and I are suddenly having a REALLY difficult time playing the game. =(

Yesterday, I purchased the full version from the App Catalog, however the new word list seems almost impossible to play with. What changed? There seems to be a pretty regular occurrence of words that we've NEVER heard of and don't even seem like words that should be in a game of this nature. It's become very frustrating.

We had previously played through more than 100 levels on the free version and loved the game, but we're now confused as to what happened.
    Anyone else experiencing this?
    (Examples from one puzzle include...ANE, ERN, NAE, NAW, RAWER, WAE, WAN,...)
    yeah I find the three letter words very cryptic, and honestly found the homebrew version more fun. It's a fine line between expanding the word list, and having totally obscure words, that nobody outside the everyday NY Times crossword player has heard of before.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  6.    #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    yeah I find the three letter words very cryptic, and honestly found the homebrew version more fun. It's a fine line between expanding the word list, and having totally obscure words, that nobody outside the everyday NY Times crossword player has heard of before.
    You said a mouthful there. It is a fine line and I went too far. This has been heard and is being fixed.

I received just under a hundred emails or posts about the word list being too small before. This was by design, but I overshot the fix with this version. As I've mentioned here and on my site, I am working on it.

The next version will have 2 modes: Normal and Hard. Hard will be the current word list with the really obscure removed and most likely using a Scrabble legal as a base. I'm still working on how to filter between Normal and Hard. I believe I can use commonality of definitions in various sources.

All words will also have a definition available on the end level screen.

The biggest problem here is my thought of how you play the game, versus many others. I though you would finish the level by giving up and then see what you couldn't find in the end level screen. The definitions would teach you new words. However, some like to have to pride of finishing every word. That is just as legitimate a mode of play and I need to accommodate both.

I'm also developing a remove this word functionality, which will send a request to remove to my server and I can tweak the number of responses to alter the word list. I can also allow removing from local DB if that is an interest to users. I believe including a "Too Hard" button in the Normal word list could also request that a word included in Normal be removed and reserved for Hard. All of this also requires custom server side code, so it will take a little longer.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. This isn't the first misstep I've made during development, and my users have helped me back to the right path. This will be no different. When you are satisfied, I'll be satisfied.

Had Palm not contacted me an requesting that I submit Word Whirl into the catalog, I would have waited for a little more refinement. However, I couldn't really turn them down and will make those refinements along the way.

If you find any other issues that should be changed, feel free to post here, comment on the Word Whirl Application at sachersoft.com, or drop an email to wordwhirl@sachersoft.com if you don't want to make it public.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/09/2009 at 10:30 AM.

It told me.
    Thanks for the update! We're anxiously awaiting the future updates.
    By far, this has been our (myself and anyone who has played with my phone) favorite game on the Pre!
    Good job! =)
    Well, I came here ready to raise holy heck, but I see that my problem is being addressed. I concur that there are way too many answers in some cases-- for example, for the 6 letters spelling "assume", these are among the answers:

AMU, EAU, EMS, ESS, MAE, etc... in all, 9 acronyms and abbreviations. I hope the fix works well, because this is probably my favorite Pre game, and was well worth the money.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Typo within how to play...You called @ an ampersand....
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
  10.    #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    Typo within how to play...You called @ an ampersand....
    Yep, I sure did. Thanks for the catch, adding to the list.

It told me.
  11.    #351  
    I'm finding what I thought to be true. All words I used are valid Scrabble words. While some also are acronyms, they are considered valid words for Scrabble, on which I based my list. It looks like the top difficulty list won't change a whole lot. The medium difficulty is what most people will probably play with. Still processing the definitions in.

It told me.
    I love this game and play it constantly (homebrew). However, many words are not accepted, and some words that aren't real are accepted. This is my only complaint. I get extra unhappy when I think of an awesome word that doesn't work! Anyway, if this gets fixed, I'll pay. I certainly got my use out of your work. Thanks.
  13.    #353  
    Quote Originally Posted by psperl View Post
    I love this game and play it constantly (homebrew). However, many words are not accepted, and some words that aren't real are accepted. This is my only complaint. I get extra unhappy when I think of an awesome word that doesn't work! Anyway, if this gets fixed, I'll pay. I certainly got my use out of your work. Thanks.
    Are you running the Homebrew version 0.7.1? This was artificially limited so that people would upgrade to the Pay version. The Full version has words based on the Scrabble legal word play list. The only people have been having was too many words. I'm filtering to allow full legal list, and then a more common list.

If you do upgrade in the pay catalog, you need to delete the homebrew version first.

It told me.
  14.    #354  
    The sense of entitlement of some people is amazing. Word Whirl received this review this morning:

"I've had this since it was a homebrew app & now it isn't free? ..."

I thought that I was doing everyone a favor by allowing them to play it before I finished and sold it. It was the trade off for helping me test it. I was pretty clear about it going to the App Catalog and those who asked agreed that $2.99 was a fair price.

If you have problems updating, like this user, you need to delete the homebrew first.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/19/2009 at 02:23 PM.

It told me.
    you could also look at it as you having received tons of valuable feedback and beta testing on your (now) commercialized product for literally no cost to you.
    was word whirl even your idea in the first place? i know drug was wasn't, so i'm not sure about word whirl.

You certainly have a right to sell your software, of course.
    but don't be baffled when fans that've supported your beta software over the past several months feel like they're being left out in the cold when they're now pointed to the app catalog, just like any Joe who discovers the software tomorrow.
  16.    #356  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beestinga View Post
    you could also look at it as you having received tons of valuable feedback and beta testing on your (now) commercialized product for literally no cost to you.
    was word whirl even your idea in the first place? i know drug was wasn't, so i'm not sure about word whirl.
    I do understand the value of the beta testing and great suggestions I received here. There were a small percentage of users that were very helpful with ideas and what they liked and didn't like. I was very open that this was intended to go into the App Catalog. It wasn't suddenly commercial. When I uploaded a new version, there would be 7,000 downloads from here in under 12 hours. Maybe 100 users commented on it here, so a far majority where not really giving feedback, they were just enjoying the app. That is great.

As far as no cost to me, this is incorrect. I exchanged over 100 emails to support users in installing and configuring their Pres for homebrew. This was not a large time sync, about 20 hours. I also chatted online to help users twice. I don't mind this, but it was a cost that would not have been there, had I only closed beta tested with experienced users.

By my idea in the first place, do you meant the game or to do it on the Pre? The game is years old and have been done in many incarnations and many names. It was one of 6 games I was considering on the Pre and when interest came up in the forums, that is why I did it. I guess I don't see how that has any bearing on anything. It is like asking why you should sell Microsoft Word, because Word Perfect had the idea first.

You certainly have a right to sell your software, of course.
    but don't be baffled when fans that've supported your beta software over the past several months feel like they're being left out in the cold when they're now pointed to the app catalog, just like any Joe who discovers the software tomorrow.
    How do I do things differently? To be honest, I am currently losing many sales because of the App Catalog issue with erroring when someone with a Beta version tried to buy the full one. I don't know how to solve that, until Palm can. I'm not the only developer running into this.

I am seeing this like Microsoft allowing you to beta test Windows 7, but then the users complaining that they don't get it free. Microsoft did allow cheaper upgrades for testers and I do wish we had a method of doing that.

If we had a way to give out gift certificates, I would have provided some to those users who really gave good feedback and suggestions when beta testing. I asked Palm to have their eCommerce team work on that, even if it means I pay Palm their 30% cut. However, we don't have that option. The irony is that those users who were the most help in Beta testing and provided me with the most value, were the most happy to pay for their copy of the app.

I'm trying to figure out the best way of doing the beta testing without ticking off the users when I ask for the price of a coffee for my efforts. My next program is very complex and will require much more beta testing. Currently, I'm trying to decide if I will get a better reception if I do a closed beta only. That would be a detriment to those that might use it early, but I don't know how to more clearly explain my intentions to the users.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/19/2009 at 02:38 PM.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    By my idea in the first place, do you meant the game or to do it on the Pre? The game is years old and have been done in many incarnations and many names. It was one of 6 games I was considering on the Pre and when interest came up in the forums, that is why I did it. I guess I don't see how that has any bearing on anything. It is like asking why you should sell Microsoft Word, because Word Perfect had the idea first.
    I used dope wars as an example - somebody requested it, and you made it a reality. Dope wars, of course, existed previously, but you (at the request of a forum user) made it a reality. Was it the same with Word Whirl, or did you decide to create this game yourself?

How do I do things differently? To be honest, I am currently losing many sales because of the App Catalog issue with erroring when someone with a Beta version tried to buy the full one. I don't know how to solve that, until Palm can. I am seeing this like Microsoft allowing you to beta test Windows 7, but then the users complaining that they don't get it free.

If we had a way to give out gift certificates, I would have provided some to those users who really gave good feedback and suggestions when beta testing. I asked Palm to have their eCommerce team work on that, even if it means I pay Palm their 30% cut. However, we don't have that option. The irony is that those users who were the most help in Beta testing and provided me with the most value, were the most happy to pay for their copy of the app.
    I don't want to demonize you for getting paid for your work. That's totally not what I'm about here. I write software myself, and I get paid for it. I work for somebody else, though, so I get paid a set number of dollars, no matter how much software I make or how many people use it (which is good, because only 1 person uses 95% of the programs I write). Please don't get me wrong here.
    I do think, though, that you might be missing the mark in focusing on the users that provided you with the most direct feedback. This community and the homebrew scene exists as an entire ecosystem, and your subset of that ecosystem is inter-reliant on everyone else. Sure you made the software, but somebody else made the means by which to install it, and the reason that they made an easy install method is because there were dumb people who were interested in homebrew but just not bright enough to install software manually themselves. The ecosystem goes on to involve the guys who create homebrew how-to FAQs and the newbs that make such FAQs a necessity, all the way up to aspiring programmers who use this ecosystem as a springboard into the commercial environment.

SOOOOOO...(if you're still with me here, then please have a cookie from the jar)please understand now how what you've done here is different from what Microsoft does, and why.
    I'm not telling you that you should give your product away to everybody for free. As far as what you SHOULD do...well...I'm not really telling you anything. We're in a new strage age of Free, and if I knew the best way to capitalize on that while keeping people happy, I wouldn't be bummin' around this forum. I guess my point is basically what I said above...it is what it is, and given the factors that I've outlined, don't be surprised at people's reactions. There will certainly be some (several, even) with a false sense of entitlement, but there may be something to it in many cases.
  18.    #358  
    I understand what you are saying. To answer your first question, I didn't consider writing Dope Wars at all, until it was suggested, and used it as a learning experience once I decided to do it. I don't have the time to enhance it right now, as Palm's conditions won't allow the subject matter in the catalog. If I get free time this winter, I'll clean it up and put it out as an open source program. It needs almost a complete rewrite, however.

I had considered Word Whirl, along with many others. The suggestion in the forum is what helped me make my choice.

I understand and support the homebrew and opensource scene. It did help get my app out to more users. Are they the only reason why I wrote my App, no. Did they make my app better, certainly. I don't see a way that I can give away my product for free to just those that are part of the infrastructure, without giving it free to the world. Do you? Seriously, I'd love to hear it.

My bottom line is this. I can't afford to do this for free. I'd love for my day job to allow that, but if I am giving away free work, it is going to a few local charities for which I am way behind on IT support. None of the developers know if they even made a living wage for their time, as we haven't received any download numbers yet. I've spent 360 hours on Word Whirl. I have about 40 more hours to get the next version out with definitions and such.

I've had to sacrifice many other things that didn't get done to make this happen. I hope it will allow me to transition into WebOS software as a job. I'm not apologetic about that. I guess I am having a hard time buying the argument that the sense of entitlement is coming from those that have helped the homebrew "movement". In every case, those in the movement have been more than supportive about selling apps, because they know that is required for platform success. Most of those I'm seeing with a sense of entitlement have given little or none.

I'm not trying to come off as someone complaining about this. I'm actually trying to find a solution. What could I do differently? If the choice is give it away, then Word Whirl wouldn't exist. I would have done all the other things that have a higher priority on my list.

And technically, I did give it away for free for 2 hours, when the catalog opened, and only for beta testers.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/19/2009 at 03:49 PM.

It told me.
    I know I should upgrade but am not ready yet. I have version 7.1 and am stuck on level 30. Can't get the 6 letter word, the letters are twdray. Is it me or is there really no solution to this?
  20.    #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow53007 View Post
    I know I should upgrade but am not ready yet. I have version 7.1 and am stuck on level 30. Can't get the 6 letter word, the letters are twdray. Is it me or is there really no solution to this?
    Not 100% sure, but the word that came to mind is tawdry.

If you do decide to upgrade, remember to delete the current version first. You probably won't miss anything by waiting until the next version hits. There are quite a few changes coming.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/20/2009 at 06:26 AM.