Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021 LastLast
    Two quick questions (regarding actual game play, of all things!):

But, these questions are based on earlier (pre-lite version), so if any of this has changed since....waiting for App Catalog dust to settle.

1. Does the starting allotment of time for a level decrease as you go to higher levels, or does it change with # of words in that level?

2. If you enter a six letter word right away, essentially at t=0, do you still get all the bonus time added, or does time not increase past the starting allotment of time?

Regards,
    Tom
    Hi Sacherjj

First, huge fan of the game. I play obsessively. I bought and downloaded the app store version but I have one criticism relative to the original. I find the new dictionary too broad. Before, it could be a little annoying when a word I knew existed wouldn't register. Now, I spend half the time guessing 3 letter words I never heard of, which takes away a lot of the challenge and fun (for me anyway!)

Maybe a solution would be to have different difficulty levels and have the choice of dictionary be based on that?
    I bought your app, despite any loopholes that would have allowed otherwise. Good App!
  4.    #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by natureboy View Post
    Hi Sacherjj

First, huge fan of the game. I play obsessively. I bought and downloaded the app store version but I have one criticism relative to the original. I find the new dictionary too broad. Before, it could be a little annoying when a word I knew existed wouldn't register. Now, I spend half the time guessing 3 letter words I never heard of, which takes away a lot of the challenge and fun (for me anyway!)

Maybe a solution would be to have different difficulty levels and have the choice of dictionary be based on that?
    I can't win. Just kidding.

I know the wide dictionary is annoying for those who must "clean the level". I'm going through the definitions now and will eliminate very obscure. I have definitions for all and they are legit words. Ranking what should show and shouldn't is hard, because I remove a word for you and then get blasted because it isn't there. Also going through 10k+ words to rank is not a small task. Just generating and filter the current word list was around 100 hours of work. So this is in progress.

With definitions, I see this as an ability to learn new words, when you finish the level. We will see what I come up with as I work on the 10k+ definitions. I might remove words that aren't in a majority of the online dictionaries or something. More to come on this. But it is easier to filter down words than add them, so that is why I errored to too many.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  5.    #325  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    1. Does the starting allotment of time for a level decrease as you go to higher levels, or does it change with # of words in that level?
    Time decreases by level. It is independent of number of words. I believe I have it at 5 seconds per level, but I only got 2 hours of sleep last night with the whole App Catalog thing, so I might be off there.

2. If you enter a six letter word right away, essentially at t=0, do you still get all the bonus time added, or does time not increase past the starting allotment of time?
    I limited it to just getting back any time used, to keep the pressure on. So you are better off to work some low ones and build up the deficit that you remove with the big words. Or get those early and really challenge yourself.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/07/2009 at 09:24 AM.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I just wanted to add another thanks for all your hard work. And for letting me beta test!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I can't win. Just kidding.

I know the wide dictionary is annoying for those who must "clean the level". I'm going through the definitions now and will eliminate very obscure. I have definitions for all and they are legit words. Ranking what should show and shouldn't is hard, because I remove a word for you and then get blasted because it isn't there. Also going through 10k+ words to rank is not a small task. Just generating and filter the current word list was around 100 hours of work. So this is in progress.

With definitions, I see this as an ability to learn new words, when you finish the level. We will see what I come up with as I work on the 10k+ definitions. I might remove words that aren't in a majority of the online dictionaries or something. More to come on this. But it is easier to filter down words than add them, so that is why I errored to too many.
    I'm in the same boat... presently, I find that I either get the 6 letter word right away or not at all, but if I get it right away, I spend the rest of the time trying to come up with stuff like 'ugh', 'dui', 'eft', 'cee', etc. After a number of levels, I find that I'm either just going through all three letter combos until I get something or simply putting the phone down to let the timer run out.
  8.    #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by cbellevie View Post
    I'm in the same boat... presently, I find that I either get the 6 letter word right away or not at all, but if I get it right away, I spend the rest of the time trying to come up with stuff like 'ugh', 'dui', 'eft', 'cee', etc. After a number of levels, I find that I'm either just going through all three letter combos until I get something or simply putting the phone down to let the timer run out.
    Sounds like enabling the End button might be good even for timed games.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Sounds like enabling the End button might be good even for timed games.
    if it would end the level and not the game, that would be nice :-) i only play the timed game, so not sure how the end button functions...

btw, what a great game!
    Quote Originally Posted by natureboy View Post
    Hi Sacherjj

I second this. You have done a great job, and I was seriously addicted to the homebrew version, but I don't enjoy the paid version as much due to the expanded word list. Punching in random combinations of letters is just not as much fun. A level of difficulty option to use the old list or the new list might appease both camps.
  11.    #331  
    I'm remembering why I didn't enable the End Level button for Timed, it would allow you to think about words while the timer would be paused. I would need to blank out the screen. Maybe the multiple difficulty word list is the answer for now. I'll look into it.

It told me.
    Maybe the multiple difficulty word list is the answer for now. I'll look into it.
    As long as you're looking in that direction, I'll re-iterate my support for it. I could only guess at the time, but it looks like real-world data corroborates my suspicion.

I was going to suggest earlier the idea of two word lists -- a "regular" list, much like you had in the original beta version, and then a "collegiate" level list, where you add from the Scrabble dictionary, or whatever. (That terminology, in particular, might be nice to differentiate without being condescending.)

Regards,
    Tom
    Time decreases by level.
    I KNEW IT!!! Sorry but, there was a slight chance I was going insane....

I limited it to just getting back any time used, to keep the pressure on. So you are better off to work some low ones and build up the deficit that you remove with the big words.
    Yeah, I finally figured out that last trick -- don't blow those 6-letter words right away!

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,
    Tom
  14.    #334  
    I KNEW IT!!! Sorry but, there was a slight chance I was going insane....
    Technically, there still is a slight chance. This just reduced it some.

The plan currently is to filter my list down to the Scrabble, but also work on flags for easy vs hard word list. This will come with the Definitions update in a while. Hopefully before the end of October.

It told me.
    Technically, there still is a slight chance. This just reduced it some.
    Well played, Sir!

The plan currently is to filter my list down to the Scrabble, but also work on flags for easy vs hard word list. This will come with the Definitions update in a while. Hopefully before the end of October.
    Sounds good to me!

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    This has been my favorite app by far. I really love it!

I think I love the beta version better than the paid version because I too find myself just typing in any 3 letter combination to figure out obscure words. I've never heard of some of these words, so I'll 2nd the motion to have 2 seperate dictionaries.
  17.    #337  
    I'm working on the dual dictionary. I'll get it out as soon as I can.

Word Whirl is now the highest rated paid app in the catalog. That is pretty cool.

New post on my website about the changes planned: Word Whirl – Live in App Catalog SacherSoft.com

Edit: Wow, one letter changes things. not vs now totally changes the phrase, WW is now the highest rated. But looks like GolfPinFinder pulled back ahead.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/07/2009 at 10:19 PM.

It told me.
    Any clue on amounts of downloads? I know the NDA may stop you from telling us...but maybe you could just Nod your head if its more than 2K
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  19.    #339  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Any clue on amounts of downloads? I know the NDA may stop you from telling us...but maybe you could just Nod your head if its more than 2K
    We won't know for a while. I won't release that when I do know as it is fairly private, sorry. (More so if it is only 12 downloads. ) I might give generalities if allowed.

I know is the free version is 10,824 right now.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    i am trying to download the 7.1 from sachersoft bug it only shows dopewars on there :-( i got a new pre.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps