Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Actively using your phone for an hour WILL drain it 20%. In other words, your phone has 5 hours run time when constantly used. That is normal. The display is lit 100% of the time and it is actively processing.

I'd be curious what other numbers people are seeing. I get 35% an hour when just web browsing on WiFi.

I knew 20% wasn't outrageous, but I was wondering if there could be factors of the game that drain the battery more than needed. Like maybe a setting that cuts out advanced animations and simple graphics.
  2.    #262  
    The animations are simple CSS transitions. GPU drivers will help with this, but it would be very difficult to add in a completely different UI, for little or no power gain. All animations are using webkit, which should get smoother and more power efficient as WebOS itself does the same.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Ok, I should probably have read all 14 pages of this thread, but it's almost 3am and I'm too tired. :P I'm just wondering when this app is going to be released in the official app catalog. Do we have confirmation that it'll be out on the 24th? The reason I ask is because I just webOS doctored my phone and didn't realize until it was too late that Word Whirl was gone from the homebrew downloads. I can wait another day or two to reload this app, and I'm more than happy to pay for it, but if it's going to be another week or two, I'm going to lose my little mind. I can't go that long without having my favorite game to play!! Please tell me it'll be available shortly.
  4.    #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Ok, I should probably have read all 14 pages of this thread, but it's almost 3am and I'm too tired. :P I'm just wondering when this app is going to be released in the official app catalog. Do we have confirmation that it'll be out on the 24th? The reason I ask is because I just webOS doctored my phone and didn't realize until it was too late that Word Whirl was gone from the homebrew downloads. I can wait another day or two to reload this app, and I'm more than happy to pay for it, but if it's going to be another week or two, I'm going to lose my little mind. I can't go that long without having my favorite game to play!! Please tell me it'll be available shortly.
    I'll be uploading the Word Whirl Lite version. I decided to pull the current version, because dozens of users cannot read the description or many, many posts on the forum about it and are sending emails about words that are missing.

I don't know how many ways I can describe that the PreCentral version is NOT A COMPLETE WORD LIST on purpose. I'm not going to give away my future pay version of the database for free. I don't have time to modify the version to pop up a dialog explaining this, that they probably wouldn't read anyway.

For those that PROMISE to not email me about the limited Word List in this version, you can download and use QuickInstall to load on the ipk from here:

REMOVED - Now in the App Catalog.

Sorry if this post comes off frustrated. I spent a couple hours to upgrade the PreCentral list to the current format to get this version of the app up and it cost me many more hours answering emails about missing words. I guess it is good, because that means tons of folks are using it, which is great.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/08/2009 at 12:33 AM.
    Thanks for letting me vent.
    Try not to let people get to you. You've been very responsive to requests so far and have to work on your own schedule in order to get this app ready for the catalog. I, for one, appreciate you allowing us to work with the early versions. This is a sure-fire hit and I'm excited to purchase the full version.
    you rule and i'm buying it as soon as available. most addictive game EVER!
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    yeah this game is very addictive. well done!
    For those that PROMISE to not email me about the limited Word List in this version, you can download and use QuickInstall to load on the ipk from here: http://sachersoft.com/dwnlds
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I swear to send you NO e-mails!

Sorry if this post comes off frustrated. I spent a couple hours to upgrade the PreCentral list to the current format to get this version of the app up and it cost me many more hours answering emails about missing words. I guess it is good, because that means tons of folks are using it, which is great.
    I'm so sorry you've been getting bombarded. So many problems would be fixed if people would simply learn to RTFM! Definitely please don't give up on us. You've crafted a fantastic and addictive game, and it's only gotten better with each update. Good luck with everything. I look forward to seeing this in the official app catalog - hopefully soon!
    I tend to like this game more than any other and have played it a lot. And I loved watching all the improvements. My suggestions are as follows:

1) You need a "hint" mode when the player is really stumped. Something that will reveal a letter somewhere in one of the unsolved words. Perhaps it could deduct points each time you use it. I end up giving up completely too often.

2) It is not obvious what the "goal" is each time to complete the level. Perhaps if it said what the points for the goal would be on the screen somewhere. Or even a little bar meter on the side showing how close you are to the goal.

3) The goal points increase too rapidly (it seems) from level to level.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
  10.    #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I tend to like this game more than any other and have played it a lot. And I loved watching all the improvements. My suggestions are as follows:

1) You need a "hint" mode when the player is really stumped. Something that will reveal a letter somewhere in one of the unsolved words. Perhaps it could deduct points each time you use it. I end up giving up completely too often.
    This has been suggested by a few people. Hints would have to be VERY expensive for the six letter words, because that is how you pass a level (see below). The best UI I have been able to come up with is double tapping a blank spot. This would open a dialog telling you the cost and asking if you want a hint.

Then do I just reveal a random letter? I'm not sure the best way for that to work. I think it would be possible to get negative scores for a level, if you had to get many hints for the long words.

What do people think about this?

2) It is not obvious what the "goal" is each time to complete the level. Perhaps if it said what the points for the goal would be on the screen somewhere. Or even a little bar meter on the side showing how close you are to the goal.

3) The goal points increase too rapidly (it seems) from level to level.
    Please read the How to Play section of the App. There is no elusive goal or point total to reach. If you guess one of the possible six letter words in a level, you clear the level. If you don't, you fail the level. It is that simple.

This is why the six letter words turn green when you solve them during a game or red if you fail the level. It is all explained in the How to Play section.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 09/23/2009 at 11:34 PM.

It told me.
    This has been suggested by a few people. Hints would have to be VERY expensive for the six letter words, because that is how you pass a level (see below). The best UI I have been able to come up with is double tapping a blank spot. This would open a dialog telling you the cost and asking if you want a hint.

Then do I just reveal a random letter? I'm not sure the best way for that to work. I think it would be possible to get negative scores for a level, if you had to get many hints for the long words.

What do people think about this?

Please read the How to Play section of the App. There is no elusive goal or point total to reach. If you guess one of the possible six letter words in a level, you clear the level. If you don't, you fail the level. It is that simple.

This is why the six letter words turn green when you solve them during a game or red if you fail the level. It is all explained in the How to Play section.
    Personally, I don't care if it is random or specific for the hint.... just something so I can get help to move on. The best games are those that don't leave you too stuck. I think your suggestion is fine.

As for scoring... my bad! I feel kinda stupid now, sorry. I didn't read the instructions (This is what happens when you assume) My counter suggestion would be this- perhaps you SHOULD be able to complete a level based on score only, and not having to get a 6 letter word? The system could compute the total best score (on a non-timed game anyway), then each level could be a certain percent of that score, increasing slightly for each level? I don't think that would work for a timed game, though.
  12.    #272  
    Personally, I don't care if it is random or specific for the hint.... just something so I can get help to move on. The best games are those that don't leave you too stuck. I think your suggestion is fine.
    I'm torn on the hints. The counter I'm seeing is that you aren't stuck, you can end the game and continue a new game. So as far as being able to play the game, you aren't stuck. With the new word list, there will be tons of words you won't get. So the idea of getting every word on a level gets much harder. I worry that hints make high scores less meaningful, unless the cost is high. It is always hard to balance all the different ways that people play a game. I'll continue to ponder this.

As for scoring... my bad! I feel kinda stupid now, sorry. I didn't read the instructions (This is what happens when you assume) My counter suggestion would be this- perhaps you SHOULD be able to complete a level based on score only, and not having to get a 6 letter word? The system could compute the total best score (on a non-timed game anyway), then each level could be a certain percent of that score, increasing slightly for each level? I don't think that would work for a timed game, though.
    Two reasons I decided not to go with a score based level pass. First, it would much more confusing to the user than the current easy to understand pass/fail. Second, I ranked levels in the new word list based on the 6 letters words, but with no basis on the others. It is entirely possible for the 6 letter word(s) to be easy, but the rest of the words real killers. This makes the whole level harder and not fitting in with its placement.

It told me.
    I think a timer sound would be an awesome addition to this already addicting game! Perhaps it could tick faster as time is about to run out.
    I'm torn on the hints. The counter I'm seeing is that you aren't stuck, you can end the game and continue a new game. So as far as being able to play the game, you aren't stuck. With the new word list, there will be tons of words you won't get. So the idea of getting every word on a level gets much harder. I worry that hints make high scores less meaningful, unless the cost is high. It is always hard to balance all the different ways that people play a game. I'll continue to ponder this.
    Yes, I see your point. I guess it is just the way I like to play I prefer getting hints to try and clear more before giving up. Of course, it is complicated if the scoring to move to the next level is only based on the 6 letter words...

Two reasons I decided not to go with a score based level pass. First, it would much more confusing to the user than the current easy to understand pass/fail. Second, I ranked levels in the new word list based on the 6 letters words, but with no basis on the others. It is entirely possible for the 6 letter word(s) to be easy, but the rest of the words real killers. This makes the whole level harder and not fitting in with its placement.
    I understand your reasoning better now. Still, I just think it would be more "fun" if all the words counted towards moving to the next level. Seems a shame to be able to get almost every word on the board, but come up blank on the 6 letter ones and be severely penalized by not being able to complete the level. (Or the converse, getting a 6 letter word and almost nothing else, but being able to complete the level). But I see how it would be very difficult to "rank" the levels if all words counted.
    This is a very addictive game. Thanks for putting it together. Great job!
    It sort of already has hints in that it's alphabetical --- I use that as a starting point when I'm stuck with just a few words left to solve ---

My 0.02
  17.    #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    It sort of already has hints in that it's alphabetical --- I use that as a starting point when I'm stuck with just a few words left to solve ---

My 0.02
    Yes, that was kind of my intent. However, if there is only 1 six letter word, it won't help. Great for finding the elusive 3-5 character words.

I'm redesigning the High Score db, and I'll consider adding hint count and implementing it for the words. Some people seem to not care about score and just enjoy the process of finding the words.

Just had a weird through about buying letters for the whole screen, like buying vowels in Wheel of Fortune. Don't think I'd ever do it, but the idea just made me chuckle.

It told me.
    Some people seem to not care about score and just enjoy the process of finding the words.
    Yep- that's me I am like that with most games. I only care about levels, not score, unless score does something like more lives or new levels/etc. I have no interest in high scores, competing with other people, etc. (I also detest online multiplayer games, for example- I LOVE Return to Castle Wolfenstien, and HATE Enemy Territory)

Just had a weird through about buying letters for the whole screen, like buying vowels in Wheel of Fortune. Don't think I'd ever do it, but the idea just made me chuckle.
    That is a neat idea too. Of course, "buying" them with score, and just reducing score for using a hint is kinda the same thing. It is neat that there are so many directions you can still go with this type of game. Many other types of games are fairly "locked-in".
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    It sort of already has hints in that it's alphabetical --- I use that as a starting point when I'm stuck with just a few words left to solve
    Yep- I do that too!
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    uh, I just reinstalled my pre via webos doctor and it appears word whirl is not longer available? not so happy