Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    nice game lots of fun thanks
    i hate this game, hate it. i cant put the pre down because of it, but i still hate it.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I haven't tested in .7.x yet, but in the more recent versions the spacebar for last word was broken. I think it happened when you went to the toggle of the use/last.

My only other comment is that (like others) I'd like the words to be lined up in columns like it was originally instead of the staggered version that's there now. It's a little easier on the eyes when they're in neat columns.

My wife and I both love the game and will buy it when it comes out. Thanks for all of your work on this.
  4.    #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee_dude View Post
    I haven't tested in .7.x yet, but in the more recent versions the spacebar for last word was broken. I think it happened when you went to the toggle of the use/last.

My only other comment is that (like others) I'd like the words to be lined up in columns like it was originally instead of the staggered version that's there now. It's a little easier on the eyes when they're in neat columns.

My wife and I both love the game and will buy it when it comes out. Thanks for all of your work on this.
    The spacebar didn't break, the functionality was changed. When I changed Use and Last to be the same button, I changed enter to work as use and last. Space bar is now clear and @ is whirl. All of this is updated in the How To Play.

I had a choice for display to either make intelligent packing or kill about 600 levels. This packing is setup to work with the Pixi in addition to the Pre, with 80 less vertical pixels. I will see if there is any clean up I can do, once I have all code converted to work properly on both the Pre and Pixi sized displays.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i hate this game, hate it. i cant put the pre down because of it, but i still hate it.

+1
    I'm killing my battery because of this game...my wife use to play text twist on her centro all the time....I think she lost it...LOL
    This game is awesome. The best game on pre. For that matter one of the best apps on the pre. I do have a suggestion that would make it better in my opinion. I think this game would be a bit funner if I could play with others. For example if my wife and I could share the same game over wifi, evdo, or bluetooth that would be awsome! I know this is a big request, but just thought I would throw out the idea.

Another idea is open a page for definitions of words. Once in great while it is nice to look up a word.
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 09/19/2009 at 02:45 PM.
  7.    #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    This game is awesome. The best game on pre. For that matter one of the best apps on the pre. I do have a suggestion that would make it better in my opinion. I think this game would be a bit funner if I could play with others. For example if my wife and I could share the same game over wifi, evdo, or bluetooth that would be awsome! I know this is a big request, but just thought I would throw out the idea.
    I'm thinking about this. The one problem is that the program is sold for a fixed amount. Why revenue stream keeps up the server for multiple person play. Unless there is a way to talk directly Pre to Pre.

I'm thinking a cooperative and competitive play would both be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    Another idea is open a page for definitions of words. Once in great while it is nice to look up a word.
    This is currently in the works for Version 0.9.x. The same way you tap on words during the game to bring it back up will pop up a definition on the level end scene. I'm going to have to load definitions on the device itself, because I haven't found a single online dictionary that is good enough to have definitions for all the words in the full version that will be for sale in the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post

I couldn't agree more This game is addictive!
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I'm thinking about this. The one problem is that the program is sold for a fixed amount. Why revenue stream keeps up the server for multiple person play. Unless there is a way to talk directly Pre to Pre.

I'm thinking a cooperative and competitive play would both be interesting.

This is currently in the works for Version 0.9.x. The same way you tap on words during the game to bring it back up will pop up a definition on the level end scene. I'm going to have to load definitions on the device itself, because I haven't found a single online dictionary that is good enough to have definitions for all the words in the full version that will be for sale in the App Catalog.
    Sounds great! I was thinking of the pre's talking directly to each other possible via bluetooth. That way you would not need to worry about a server, wifi connection or wan connection. Just need to be in same room. Anyhow thanks for thinking about cooperative play and dictionary. You have such a good product and also listen to your potential customers. Thanks
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Great game... missed my stop many days because I couldn't peel my eyes off of it to look up. Very addictive. Great job on this. Grr, pixi for minimizing word list...
  11.    #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by brownkity View Post
    Great game... missed my stop many days because I couldn't peel my eyes off of it to look up. Very addictive. Great job on this. Grr, pixi for minimizing word list...
    The Word List in the version you are playing from PreCentral is minimized because I don't want to put my full pay version out there. I did not remove words from the full version to fit the Pixi, I removed whole levels. By that I mean that any level will have all legal words, with the exception of blatantly obscene words I removed (F bomb, C bomb and variants). Then if a level would not fit on both devices, it was thrown out. I'm still left with over 2,300 levels.

For mildly obscene words, I removed levels again. I didn't want people to think those words should be possible with the 6 letters given and them not be there. But I also wanted to have a game that you could play with a small child, without seeing words to which they really shouldn't be exposed. A few people have emailed me and said they enjoy playing this in puzzle mode as a family.

As an example, there is no level with the 4 letters: H I T S (do a whirl on that one and you'll get my point.) I think another term for feces is a valid word. However, I didn't want it popping up to someone who would not have guessed it.

Again, this all applies to the Pay version that is under review for the App Catalog. The word list in the version on PreCentral is simply a building list for testing. I can't tell you how many emails I've received about missing words in this version, no matter how many times and ways I state it.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 09/21/2009 at 08:50 AM.

It told me.
    Hello, just wanted say I love this game and appreciate the developers time that goes into it, thats all.
    As an example, there is no level with the 4 letters: H I T S (do a whirl on that one and you'll get my point.)
    Is this a recent change? I'm sure it was within the last week or so that I ran across this combo. I recall being mildly surprised that the word was accepted.

Otherwise, I like that you intend to leave these combos out. My 9 yo son has been "helping" me every once in a while, and I'm not sure how well I can focus with a lot of giggling over my shoulder.

Regards,
    Tom
  14.    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Is this a recent change? I'm sure it was within the last week or so that I ran across this combo. I recall being mildly surprised that the word was accepted.

Otherwise, I like that you intend to leave these combos out. My 9 yo son has been "helping" me every once in a while, and I'm not sure how well I can focus with a lot of giggling over my shoulder.
    These changes are in the Pay App Catalog version, not in the PreCentral Beta version. I have spent over 100 hours working through the final word list and quite a bit less on the testing list used in the PreCentral version.

It would be a waste of time to filter the PreCentral list, as it only has a few days of life left.

It told me.
    Re: word list

I know you're planning to address the current omission of some common words, and I also recall someone recommending you use some type of Scrabble dictionary. If you are thinking to include all possible words, I would argue against it, as I think it would make for a very frustrating experience for a lot of people.

It would be different if the word list was open-ended (like it is in Scrabble and similar games). And, while the Word Whirl player doesn't have to fill in all words to proceed, if there are too many rarely used words, they might find it off-putting.

Now, that opens up the question of where to draw the line, soooo...good luck with that!

Regards,
    Tom
    [edit: I should point out that this comment is based on what I think could happen with the word list. If it doesn't really expand it by much, than it could be a moot point.]
    Last edited by TomJ; 09/21/2009 at 11:39 AM.
    These changes are in the Pay App Catalog version, not in the PreCentral Beta version.
    Ah, OK. I thought this was the word list you were talking about. Never mind!

Regards,
    Tom
  17.    #257  
    What I'm doing is including all words. However, the six letter words are ranked in difficulty, because those are all that is needed to move to the next level. The player isn't required to get every word to move on, just one six letter word. In a future update, I will have definitions for all the words, available on the end level scene.

The difficulty of getting every word on a level has just gone WAY up. The difficult of passing a level is the same. However, the possibility of learning new words is now there. I see it as an overall gain.

It told me.
    The difficulty of getting every word on a level has just gone WAY up. The difficult of passing a level is the same. However, the possibility of learning new words is now there. I see it as an overall gain.
    Yeah, I guess I can see where you're coming from. By coincidence, I happened to be playing Scrabble this weekend (rarely play it), and have also been Word Whirl-ing a lot recently, so the differences really stood out. I think it's just a matter of changing my mindset for Word Whirl; rather than expecting to complete all the words in a level, I'll just be racking up as many points as possible.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Been loving the updates, definitely looks a lot better.

My only problem is battery drain. I've been using Battery Monitor (available through homebrew) and I went into airplane mode and played Word Whirl for an hour (having the battery monitor gather data every 5 minutes) and after an hour of playing my drain was at 19% per hour

This was after a fresh reset. Anyone else have this app? If so, post your results with Word Whirl.

Edit: Forgot to be more specific. I'm running 1.1 with no tweaks and was running no other apps beside Battery Monitor and Word Whirl.
  20.    #260  
    Actively using your phone for an hour WILL drain it 20%. In other words, your phone has 5 hours run time when constantly used. That is normal. The display is lit 100% of the time and it is actively processing.

I'd be curious what other numbers people are seeing. I get 35% an hour when just web browsing on WiFi.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 09/21/2009 at 08:54 PM.