Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    The latest version will always be in this post first, then on fileCoaster later that day.

Wizards - Create your hero (Warrior, Rogue or Wizard) and journey beyond the reaches of the town to the forest or the dangerous river to fight and claim your fortune! You're able to level to 3 in this version, and it includes abilities for all three classes. Fight your class master after gaining enough experience to gain a level! Earn new weapons to fight your foes in new ways!

This is a game my friend and I have been working on for some time, we're proud to be releasing it on these forums for some beta testing. Most of the core mechanics are in place. Please post any and all questions in this forum.

Please download it here, it's rather hefty for a homebrew app at 1.03 megs, so I couldn't post it on the forum (file size limit).
    http:/www.robinsontechnical.com/wizards54.ipk
    This version requires that you delete your old versions due to changes in the database

Known Issues
    • These abilities don't yet work: Perfect Dodge

• You cannot go past Level 3 for now.

Disclaimer
    • The graphics and 'art' in the game are by the developers. Most of this will be changed in time, but we had to draw what we could as placeholders

• If you find an ability or character too strong/weak, feel free to post below and we WILL take suggestions.

Changelog:

Wizards version v0.54 Beta [9/1/09]
    • Fixed issue with success chance of abilities

• Added AP cost to description of abilities in the ability list

• Modified Level Up rewards, specifically the Warrior can now afford to pay for their level 2 ability

• Corrected bug where all options would become disabled if clicking explore/hit/rez very fast

• Added 'Quests' button to stats screen, between 'Inventory' and 'Exit', upon clicking players can see a list of their current quests

• Quest system is unlocked: players can accept 8 quests from 3 different NPC's at the Tavern, to be completed at the forest or river

• Due to increased xp awarded from the quests, the xp required to level-up has been increased

Wizards version v0.432 Beta [8/19/09]
    • Fixed issue where player's weren't given credit for the value of their current weapon while buying a new one

• Leveling up now adds to player's max HP and max AP an amount determined by their class

• Fixed bug that prevented player from engaging a monster that attacked them while resting (only run was available), if the player was in the stats screen while resting and was attacked

• Rogue - Level 2 ability "Steal" is now enabled

• Warrior - Level 2 ability "Raw Strength" is now enabled

• Warrior - Level 3 ability "Jackals Welp" is now enabled

• Ability list now displays what the ability does next to the ability name

• When failing to defeat a Class Master, you are now returned to their shop for rebuke, instead of a random town.

• Corrected incorrect math where the inverse of the success of an ability was calculated rather than the correct success probability

Wizards version v0.421 Beta [8/18/09]
    • Added cleanup code for each scene's widgets

• Inventory button loads a new scene which displays player's current inventory (note that items are not yet created, so none will show up)

• Player name is limited to 9 characters, preventing bleed over onto other game elements

• Removed monster image layer while viewing the long log during combat

• Added brief descriptions while entering new zones

• Changed combat log so that it has 5 lines instead of 4

• Fixed bug that allowed you to continue purchasing the same weapon, and going into unlimited negative gold

• Added text "Weapon Purchased!" to blacksmith screen after purchasing a weapon

• Monster name and level text are now layered over a dark red bar, so the text is easier to read

• Added class-specific player avatars in the stat (char info) screen

• The screen is now 'movable' -we will try to see if this is preferred to the fixed screen. This allows the game elements to be repositioned if a notification appears at the bottom of the screen - obstructing buttons

• Wizard - Fixed bug that prevented player from attacking a monster that was stunned with a fireball ability

Wizards version v0.411 Beta [8/18/09]
    • Added 'known issues' to main menu screen

Wizards version v0.41 Beta [8/18/09]
    • Allow the ability to camp on the path

• Added picture for camping on path

• Rogue - Removed abilities showing up multiple times

• Rogue - Changed price of Death Blade from 200 to 497 to put it on par with the other tier 3 weapons

• Fixed database re-adding all abilities after reload

Wizards version v0.4 Beta [8/18/09]
    • We will place what is changed in each version in this space.

To do:
    • Fix issue while camping or resting while looking at stats or log.

• Add screen to explain each ability for each class

• Create zones for levels 4-6.

• Change each graphic in the game to something less created by me

• Various upgraded art

• Unlocked zones: graveyard, castle, hideout

• Some quests in the new zones

• Level up to 6

• More abilities

• More weapons for sale

Please leave all feedback in this thread. We take all suggestions for equipment, monsters, zones, stats, classes, anything! We're also looking for some artists who would like to draw (or redraw) anything in the game. Please post here if you're interested!

Donate Here

Licensing:
    Creative Commons, No Derivatives
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scoota; 09/01/2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Updated Wizards to 0.54 Beta
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    if you have anything active in the notification bar, it cuts off the bottom of the screen.

also, the rogue has steal appear twice in the skill list.

do any of the skills for the rogue work? it seems they either run a check and fail or run the check and stay stuck until you complete a different action to advance the round (and still use up that ability point).

the tavern is inaccessible and if you die in battle against the master, no option to return to town.

also, why is it only possible to rest outside of town?
    Last edited by rayln; 08/18/2009 at 03:15 AM.
    nice work so far. I think this may be another great app in the making.
    Why not upload it to the Homebrew Gallery? Last I checked, it was able to handle 1.03MB. I'm pretty sure the NY Subway map app is well over a meg.

That said, very impressive app!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Good start. I know this is beta, but every time I restart the game the ability list doubles.

Good throw back to standing stones, an ooooold apple IIe game.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Remember, in between each update you'll need to delete the current version of Wizards before loading the new one.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    the screen still cuts off if you anything active in the background app/notification bar above the gesture area.

if you press 'stats' or 'log' while camping and before it completes, you become stuck and none of the zone buttons become available.
    Does have a coupl flaws. Can't access the tavern, the specials double when reopening the game. And it only goes to level three. Other than that, this is an addictive game and I would love to see more development on it.
    Filecoaster please! At work and unable to load this on to my pre but really want to try.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    looks sweet man ill grab it
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxx View Post
    Filecoaster please! At work and unable to load this on to my pre but really want to try.

Thanks!
    You could always use the second option in fileCoaster to download the app. Just point it to the link in the main post.
    Last edited by Scoota; 08/19/2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: changed it to post to the main post.
    looks like fun, I'll install it now!
    Looks really nice. I'll grab it. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/wizards-rpg

I got it up on fileCoaster. Have fun, and post your bugs here.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Kudos for this awesome beginning of what will likely be an even better app!

As others have already mentioned, the bottom gets cut off too easily with notifications.

In the Load Character scene my character name/class/level spills over the Created Characters groupbox.

Your Stats scene has an "Exit" button. I believe Palm will frown upon this as their UI requirements don't want any kind of a "back" button since the swipe gesture can take care of this.

I don't remember reading about this already but the Inventory button doesn't seem to do anything.

Suggestion for the future: When you more images/maps developed allows us to click on the images so that we can navigate our way. I just finished playing Myst for the iPhone and it uses this technique very well. I can see your app benefiting in the same way.
    looks great! reminds me so much of them old fasioned MUDD's cant wait to see more development .. do you have a donation page?

Also is there a way to delete a saved char right now?

I inadvertantly hit the back gesture a few times to go "back" and it made several saved characters.

Thanks,
    D
    I can't wait to see how this shapes up. Awesome job so far!
    Fun game, but it does have a few issues. It froze twice on me, both times deleting my character. Great idea, just needs some fixes
    Hello!!

When I try to download this application using filecoaster v1.1.1 it will say "downloading" for awhile but it does not actually download and install. I tried to download it from the "Homebrew List" and I tried using "File URL Download". Neither way worked.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmissie View Post
    Hello!!

When I try to download this application using filecoaster v1.1.1 it will say "downloading" for awhile but it does not actually download and install. I tried to download it from the "Homebrew List" and I tried using "File URL Download". Neither way worked.
    Try to first connect to a local wireless connection instead of using the 3G connection. The file is rather large at 1.1 megs, and it might be causing this problem.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast