webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   webOS Homebrew Apps (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/)
-   -   AdvCalc for WebOS (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/198768-advcalc-webos.html)

wturnerharris 08/16/2009 10:49 PM

AdvCalc for WebOS

I will be adding yet another scientific calculator to the mix. I wasn't satisfied with the appearance of the ones available, icon and design-wise.

Also a few more functions available with the script I found. This is not my javascripting. Just my editing and plugging into the pre. Design similar to dashboard's calc...

Romanmb 08/16/2009 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=wturnerharris;1828884]I wasn't satisfied with the appearance of the ones available, icon and design-wise.
.[/QUOTE]

Same here, can't wait to see this...

Dieter Bohn 08/16/2009 11:16 PM

published!

dmklein 08/17/2009 09:56 AM

Cool, but I would like some feedback when the function and/or opperation keys are entered, For instance a "+" displayed after you pressed it in 4+5, important an ther is no other feedback on the touch screen.

TheMarco 08/17/2009 11:06 AM

Just for my interest, and in order to possibly improve:

What was unsatisfactory about the design and icon of the currently available calculators (which include mine) ? Is this just a purely aesthetic taste thing or are there usability issues?

Abyssul 08/17/2009 11:58 AM

I never fully understood the current scientific RPN calculator, but I would find it more handy if the Pre had a TI calculator (with/without graphing) for calculus. I need to be able to use derivatives and integrals. I couldn't find out how to do that with the RPN. Basically would require a whole new app for my tastes anyways.

Colonel Kernel 08/17/2009 12:34 PM

Just checking, but the code you based this on is GPL or other open source, right?

TheMarco 08/17/2009 12:39 PM

You can integrate with the HP15C but it requires the programmability features. I'm still thinking about whether I should implement that functionality or not on the RPN calc.

wturnerharris 08/17/2009 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=TheMarco;1829507]Just for my interest, and in order to possibly improve:

What was unsatisfactory about the design and icon of the currently available calculators (which include mine) ? Is this just a purely aesthetic taste thing or are there usability issues?[/QUOTE]

Mainly aesthetic for the other scientific calculators available. I wouldn't mind putting my photoshop skills to use for better coders. I also don't like RPN calculators (I think yours) but I love your UI and haptic response. Awesome. I just don't know how to use an RPN calculator and it seems very complex. Tiny numbers.

And icons are a biggie for me. Yours (and this is constructive) appears like a cutoff picture as opposed to an icon specifically for the phone. My background is mainly front-end design, hence the pickiness there.

wturnerharris 08/17/2009 06:41 PM

The code says closed source. I asked the original coder if he minded that I posted the app with his info on it. He told me he didn't care. The website that I found it on has the code publicly available for educational purposes but notes that it is not in the public domain. I have no desire to use the app for commercial purposes, but I imagine the code is still available for "educating" yourself. You can find the link to the original source in the help file.

TheMarco 08/17/2009 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=wturnerharris;1830478]Mainly aesthetic for the other scientific calculators available. I wouldn't mind putting my photoshop skills to use for better coders. I also don't like RPN calculators (I think yours) but I love your UI and haptic response. Awesome. I just don't know how to use an RPN calculator and it seems very complex. Tiny numbers.

And icons are a biggie for me. Yours (and this is constructive) appears like a cutoff picture as opposed to an icon specifically for the phone. My background is mainly front-end design, hence the pickiness there.[/QUOTE]

The icon is the weakest link in my app for sure. It's the one bit that I put the least thought in. It will change before the app hits release status.

I have the same background like you do by the way ;)

Finally: RPN calculators only SEEM complex to people who have never used them. I had the same feeling when I was given one for the first time by my dad, a long long time ago. Once you get the hang of it you'll never go back to a normal calculator, no matter whether you're a geek or not :)

Eckless 08/17/2009 08:00 PM

Talking about RPN calculators, most of the people in my workplace start to panic when given their RPN calculators (HP-12C's FTW!) but after about a week they can't go back. Give RPN a chance! You'll find it's MUCH quicker and doesn't require parentheses.

johncc 08/17/2009 08:28 PM

Can't believe that you are choosing/rejecting a calculator based on the icon that it uses. Add your own if it's that big a deal.

TheMarco 08/17/2009 11:47 PM

Ok you made me change my app icon. I think it's much better now. Thanks for helping me improve ;)

wturnerharris 08/18/2009 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=johncc;1830622]Can't believe that you are choosing/rejecting a calculator based on the icon that it uses. Add your own if it's that big a deal.[/QUOTE]

if you read my full reply to themarco's question, you would see that I have no idea how to use an RPN calculator, which is the main reason I don't use his. I love the UI for it.

themarco, your new icon is superb kudos!! =)

i will try to see if i can understand the rpn ways. 3 enter 5 + seems easy enough, but i'll have to seek help for exponents and other functions. i clearly see them on the beautiful UI, but the sequence in which they need to be entered baffles me. sort of like korean verb placement and the way yoda speaks... confused am I.

jdale 08/19/2009 01:06 PM

RPN is a solution to the ambiguity you get when you are entering a string of things that are not displayed and are calculated one by one. It makes sense for a calculator which only displays numbers but in my opinion doesn't make any sense for other devices. Rather than learning the correct sequence to enter operations, I would rather just enter a formula. E.g. not

^
+

but

2^3+5

Ok, sure, I may have to use parentheses but at least if I enter (2+5)^3 I can see exactly what I've got. There's plenty of room on the display to show the formula that was entered, and a history of recent calculations. Use the keyboard for the numbers and just have buttons on the screen for functions that are not easily accessible from the keyboard, which already has / * + - () % and !

AdvCalc looks good, though, and I'll use it till someone makes the calculator of my dreams.... The other non-RPN calculator, aside from general shininess issues, also had some non-functional buttons and too many functions hidden until you touched shift, IMHO.

TomJ 08/19/2009 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=wturnerharris;1832845]confused am I.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you're getting the hang of it! :D

I think the key to understanding RPN is understanding how the stack works. The nice thing about TheMarco's RPN calc is that it'll show you what's in the upper registers of the stack. That makes it a lot easier to learn.

Regards,
Tom

Paladin 08/22/2009 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=wturnerharris;1830478]Mainly aesthetic for the other scientific calculators available. I wouldn't mind putting my photoshop skills to use for better coders. I also don't like RPN calculators (I think yours) but I love your UI and haptic response. Awesome. I just don't know how to use an RPN calculator and it seems very complex. Tiny numbers.

And icons are a biggie for me. Yours (and this is constructive) appears like a cutoff picture as opposed to an icon specifically for the phone. My background is mainly front-end design, hence the pickiness there.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm. Sorry but this app is in no way better looking than the one by TheMarco. His is very professional looking. I think this one is so so... look wise I am talking here.... I hope this improves. I love his keys and display etc... Round buttons=yuk... this also needs a nice number display.

I also am not used to RPN and would love one that uses standard fixed notation. Truth is I really do not use the advanced features as much as I did years ago. I do once in awhile, mostly binary or hex stuff... I just want a very cool, complex looking calculator even if I am just adding something. It is all geek factor for me!!! i:)i

wturnerharris 08/24/2009 02:28 PM

You've clearly never seen the dashboard calculator on the mac, but that's ok. And I do love themarco's RPN calc, ui and all. Just not too keen on RPNs. I was mainly developing a better UI than the other scientific calc in the homebrew section.

lordbah 09/01/2009 05:47 PM

The HEX key doesn't seem to do anything. I don't know what the unlabeled green button is. Can't enter numbers or letters on the keyboard. Needs a Help section which explains these things.