Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Contacts Plus is an alternative contact manager for the Palm Pre / webOS.

Current Features Include:
    • Activity Log - keep track of communication with any of your Contacts Plus contacts.
    • Tagging - Assign tags to contacts and sort lists by tag.

Upcoming Features Include:
    • Sync to the web.
    • Customizable tags.
    • Import existing contacts.
    • Manage relationships between contacts.
    • Much more...

v0.9.3 updates:
    • UI improvements - better flow, less screens, icons
    • Quick dial contacts from main screen - you can set the default phone number for each contact
    • Browse native contacts and quick dial any number / email

Major updates next version will include: customizable tags, contact importing. After that, much more...

This app is currently in BETA! Future versions may require a full remove/re-install which will result in lost data (until the web sync is in place). Please share your feedback on the forum.
    Last edited by reuben.olsen; 08/18/2009 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Update
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Great idea! Two questions:

1) Does this use the same database as the native contacts? So, if I add in one I can see in the other?

2) If the answer to #1 is a no, this probably won't sync using PocketMirror, right?

Also, can you post here when you fix that bug? Thanks!
  3.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Great idea! Two questions:

1) Does this use the same database as the native contacts? So, if I add in one I can see in the other?

2) If the answer to #1 is a no, this probably won't sync using PocketMirror, right?

Also, can you post here when you fix that bug? Thanks!
    Bug has been squished. (I found an inconsistency between the emulator and Pre. Worked on the emulator but not on the Pre.)

A Contacts Plus (CP) account/address book is created when you install the app. You can view any contacts created in CP in the native contacts app - minus the tags and log data. Contacts created in the native app and assigned to the CP address book will be available in CP.

I don't know how PocketMirror works but I'm assuming they were given access to native APIs that use regular folk don't have so they should be able to "see" the CP contacts and pull the data. One way to find out - give it a try. Let me know what you find out.
    #1 needed will be import Contacts or just linked to native contacts. I know many who returned their Pre because of the inability to categorize and tag Contacts. Good app!
    When contacts are categorized, will it be possible to assign a ringtone to a category?
    Laissez Faire
    This sort of app will take off once Palm gives us the ability (without rooting every time) to hide those pesky default system apps (or our friends at Brayder come out of retirement? )
    Thanks for making this app. It looks like it's off to a great start. I was really hoping someone would step up to fill in some of the gaping holes Palm left in the stock PIM apps. I can't wait to see how this shapes up as development continues. Keep up the good work!
    very nicely done so far. your "coming soon" list looks VERY promising.
    As previously noted this fills a gaping deficiency in the Pre's basic functions.

Will tags be customizable? The use of tags will be much more powerful than the old categories function.

Can contacts be linked to Calendar and Tasks? That was one of the things I used most in Datebook6.
    While this is a very promising looking and feeling application, I can't see what use it has besides being able to list Contacts by category. Which is not a huge issue for me at all. I very much like that a Contacts+ account gets linked automatically to an existing Contact when the names match. If people really need to list contacts separately then this is great, but unfortunately I don't really think that is enough to get me to use this until more features are added.

Don't get me wrong it feels very polished already and I think it's a great app. Keep up the good job

Feature Suggestions:
    -A different icon when you switch between the category of contacts (friends, quick list, work) would be a nice touch to make the app feel even more polished.

-Not to be "that guy" but customizing the category list would be indeed a wanted feature, including being able to edit existing categories. Not everyone in the world goes to (or believes in) church.
    it would be nice to have a picture speed dial screen integrated into ur program.
    Does this require new contacts? I cannot get it to link to the existing contacts.
    Laissez Faire
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    Feature Suggestions:
    -A different icon when you switch between the category of contacts (friends, quick list, work) would be a nice touch to make the app feel even more polished.

-Not to be "that guy" but customizing the category list would be indeed a wanted feature, including being able to edit existing categories. Not everyone in the world goes to (or believes in) church.
    Great suggestion for the icons.
    The tag list WILL BE customizable - the current set is just to get started. Icons that match the tags would be tricky for customizable tags. Unless, we come up with a big list of "general" tags with accompanying icons and then the user can choose which tags to use. Any custom tags created by the user would only use a standard tag icon.
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Does this require new contacts? I cannot get it to link to the existing contacts.
    I plan to do an informational thread about all the restrictions that Palm has us under regarding access to contacts and calendar items not directly created by our apps - but, for now...

In order to view a contact from another address book and apply tags and log entries to it the contact must first be imported into the Contacts Plus (CP) address book. Palm requires that this be done one contact at a time - I have it working in my dev version of the app and will post it once a few more issues are worked out. Hopefully Palm will give us more (permission based) access to other contact data in the future which would resolve this need to import the contacts and open up some huge possibilities.

Once Contacts Plus is fully stable with all the core features implemented the best solution would be to make it your primary "account" for contacts so that all new contacts that are created will be "native" to CP - negating the need to import.
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    Very nice application and very useful. You mention web integration does that mean it will sync with google contacts?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Very nice start.
    As much as I LOVE this, this app won't be useful to me until it's 1-1 synced with the existing contacts. Having two sets of contacts just isn't practical. I hope you'll manage to find a way to make this work, even if it means the Pre needs to be rooted.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    As much as I LOVE this, this app won't be useful to me until it's 1-1 synced with the existing contacts. Having two sets of contacts just isn't practical. I hope you'll manage to find a way to make this work, even if it means the Pre needs to be rooted.
    True dat!
  19.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Working on it... I posted an update ealier this evening. Quite a few UI changes and some additional functionality. It is worth a look. You can now browse contacts from all other address books from within Contacts Plus. Next step is to do the import so that all the other functionality can be applied to those contacts.

I wish Palm would give us permission based access to the entire contacts list without requiring us to import in order to manipulate the contacts. I have a whole list of "inconveniences" I'd like resolved. Primarily contact/calendar access, file I/O and gzip support.

Won't be taking advantage of rooting... my goal is the App Catalog - has to be a straight-up app or they won't take it. They also might break some of the known hacks (spoofing com.palm..., etc.)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast