Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PasswordHash is a simple app for generating secure passwords based on a master password and domain name. See the app homepage for a Firefox extension and live version.
    Last edited by gregstoll; 08/14/2009 at 05:31 PM.
    Interesting. Could it be extended to work with the web browser?
  3.    #3  
    The version at the homepage does work in the Pre's browser. The app just looks nicer and copies the result to the clipboard.
  4.    #4  
    Ah, I realized you probably meant if it could be something like the Firefox extension. This is a good question - I haven't seen any info about adding plugins/extensions to the builtin browser, but it would be pretty awesome if it were possible!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    This is nice, the only problem I might run into is using a "public" computer. I guess i could just go to live homepage and get the password.

Might have to try this. Thanks OP
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Some sites require punctuation or special character in the password as well, and as far as I can tell the hash algorithm doesn't allow for that. I wonder if the writer would be open to adding that as an option?
  7.    #7  
    This is a good point. I'll see about the best way to do this and add an option!
  8.    #8  
    I just uploaded version 1.1.0 which adds an option to force a special character. It's on the web version as well, although I haven't had a chance to add it to the Firefox plugin yet. Let me know what y'all think!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregstoll View Post
    I just uploaded version 1.1.0 which adds an option to force a special character. It's on the web version as well, although I haven't had a chance to add it to the Firefox plugin yet. Let me know what y'all think!
    Cool! It looks great! Thanks for adding the option!
    Does the firefox plugin work for linux (ubuntu) or just windows? I seem to be getting different hash results if I run the app on my pre vs. firefox on linux.
  11.    #11  
    It should work the same for both - I'll do some quick checks on my linux box at home. Is there a particular set of inputs for which you see different results?
  12.    #12  
    Very small update to 1.1.1 - got rid of the superfluous (and possibly confusing) title bar.
    the password generator does not obey the special charcter switch. I get special characters on the Pre, in Firefox, and on the homepage.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 08/19/2009 at 05:09 AM.
  14.    #14  
    To generate the password it uses a base 64 encoding. This means that even without special characters turned on, it will still sometimes generate passwords with "+" or "/" in it. Is this a problem?
    Sent you a PM with the inputs. Thanks for the help!
  16.    #16  
    I tracked down the bug that kmader found (thanks!) and put up a new Firefox extension that fixes it. Note that you might have problems getting Firefox to recognize it's a new file - if after you install it's not version 1.2.0, then try clearing your cache!
    Greg, sent you PM.
    To generate the password it uses a base 64 encoding. This means that even without special characters turned on, it will still sometimes generate passwords with "+" or "/" in it. Is this a problem?
    I'm pretty sure a lot of websites fall into the category of allowing only letters and numbers, most allow + or /, and a few websites require the use of a special character.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I don't quite understand what this does. I understand that it will create a secure password for you, but will it memorize it and post it into websites on your phone when you need to login?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    I don't quite understand what this does. I understand that it will create a secure password for you, but will it memorize it and post it into websites on your phone when you need to login?
    It will not memorize it - the app is designed so that you just need to remember your master password, and based on that and the domain name, it will generate a secure password. No information is remembered, though, so if your phone is lost your passwords will still be secure.
    My apps: FlightPredictor, LJ for WebOS (LiveJournal client), We the People, Private Browser, GAuth (Google two-factor authenticator), BoardGameGeek, PasswordHash
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast