Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello fellows,

As a quick test project I've built a binary clock application.

The red dots are "ones" and the blue dots are "zeros". Since I am of the opinion that the day has 24 hours this is (at least for now) a 24 hour clock...

I used BCD for coding the individual digits (Binary Coded Decimal, i.e each row corresponds to a digit, LSB is to the left) and the hours are at the top.

The time in the screen shot is therefore 15:20:53 (03:20:53pm).

Free and GPL.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/binary-clock
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by d00heden; 08/13/2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added link
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    A guy that sits by me at work has a Binary clock on his desk...I have to show him this! I still can't read it though :/
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Very cool. I wish I had room for this, but I'm juggling apps as it is.
    Very cool! A 12 hour clock option would be nice for those of us who aren't accustomed to thinking in 24 hour time, but still this is a very nice little app.
    OH GOD!!! sorry just had a nerdgasm... this is soo cool nice work

would be cool to have like bunch of flipcards 00010111 : 00111011 : 00111011 using the palm's digital clock theme

btw that's 23:59:59 to all my homies o.o
    Last edited by johnsongrantr; 08/13/2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: changed time to 24 hour
    Had a version for all of my PalmOS PDA's and Treo.
    Sweet. Scary I can read it as well, I need a life! ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 08/14/2009 at 09:08 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Would also like the option to have the LSB on the right. Handy, tho
    Your joking right? Man I wish I had an iPhone....
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovehog View Post
    Man I wish I had an iPhone....
    So do we.

ANYWAYS,

this is really cool for the select few that can actually read a binary clock. Thanks.

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
    Had to remember how to read a bianary clock, but once you get it, it's hard not to see what time it is! Awesome app!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Not trying to be critical but could it have leading zero's rather then trailing zeros? Still think its a great app, just I have to reverse my thinking when looking at it. Sorry to be a pain.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Much to my son's amusement, he had to teach me how to read it. Now I have a new skill! I wish it wasn't an app to run, but more of a screensaver. As soon as you turn on your phone you can see the time...I'd like to see this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narfler View Post
    +1
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    First of all, thanks, I like having a little binary ticker next to me at work without having to drop cash on the ThinkGeek model.

Next, feature request: toggle mode between BCD, or digit-mode (current) and total-mode. By this I mean that right now you have

0 0 0 0 0 0
    0 0 0 0 0 1
    0 0 1 0 0 0
    1 0 1 0 0 1

To represent 10:30:05, which reading it makes sense, but in total mode

0 1 0 1 0 0
    0 0 0 1 0 1
    0 1 0 1 0 0
    0 0 1 0 0 1

Would be 10:30:05. Basically, each set of 2 vertical rows represents a unit of time (hours|Minutes|Seconds) instead of just a digit on the clock. I'd LOVE to see this since it would really require a stronger understanding of binary counting to read
    Last edited by flare576; 08/14/2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narfler View Post

+2
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!

Love it!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Hah! I just understood what you guys were all talking about RE: the LSB. I saw the way it worked and immediately turned the phone on it's side, so the LSB was on the bottom.

Yeah, if you have it standing upright, I'm in the same camp that the LSB should be on the right, but I'd be sad to lose the horizontal layout, so I'd request it to be an option
    Quote Originally Posted by flare576 View Post
    First of all, thanks, I like having a little binary ticker next to me at work without having to drop cash on the ThinkGeek model.

Next, feature request: toggle mode between BCD, or digit-mode (current) and total-mode. By this I mean that right now you have

0 0 0 0 0 0
    0 0 0 0 0 1
    0 0 1 0 0 0
    1 0 1 0 0 1

To represent 10:30:05, which reading it makes sense, but in total mode

0 1 0 1 0 0
    0 0 0 1 0 1
    0 1 0 1 0 0
    0 0 1 0 0 1

Would be 10:30:05. Basically, each set of 2 vertical rows represents a unit of time (hours|Minutes|Seconds) instead of just a digit on the clock. I'd LOVE to see this since it would really require a stronger understanding of binary counting to read
    Sorry for the edits etc.. I am just brain storming here...

IMHO; I don't like spiting up the lines though. Right based LSB is what looks good. It is what most are used to when looking at binary.

That would only look good if "total-mode" were smaller text with only 1 line:
    10:30:05 again would then be:
    00001010 : 00011110 : 00000101

Of course you would only need 6 bits so you could make it look like:
    001010 : 011110 : 000101
    OR (Pun intended.. get it OR... AND OR.. Okay sorry....) ii
    001010:011110:000101

I think "total-mode" being vertical would work the best.
    :
    :
    Last edited by Paladin; 08/14/2009 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flare576 View Post
    Hah! I just understood what you guys were all talking about RE: the LSB. I saw the way it worked and immediately turned the phone on it's side, so the LSB was on the bottom.

Yeah, if you have it standing upright, I'm in the same camp that the LSB should be on the right, but I'd be sad to lose the horizontal layout, so I'd request it to be an option
    I agree, the display should auto-adjust when flipped. Can you also add user defined color options (On and OFF) as well as different "bits". Maybe squares, circles, rectangles, triangles etc...
    Whoever said a bit had to be oval or even a circle? ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 08/14/2009 at 03:03 PM.

OMG! your freeking me out. This is taking me back to my old green or amber computer screen days. Took me a sec. But I got it. Love it. I second the idea of a screen saver/background. if it could be an active background that would be best.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast